Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Miller ready to shoulder load

Inspirational Raiders forward Josh Miller is confident his persistent shoulder problems are behind him and has declared his best football is just around the corner.

Miller participated in his first opposed session in more than a month yesterday afternoon, increasing his chances of playing against the Gold Coast Titans at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

Shoulder problems have restricted the reigning Mal Meninga medallist to just three games this season, his most recent against South Sydney in round seven.

Miller said he felt better than he had since first injuring his shoulder in round one.

''I'm ready to go, I want my starting jersey back,'' Miller said. ''I'm ready to get back into it and I just can't wait to start playing footy week in, week out.

''My shoulder is feeling good, it's probably the best it's felt since I first did the injury.

''I'm getting more and more confident with it with every training run. I reckon my best footy is ahead of me this year.''

After being one of just two players to feature in every Raiders game last season, Miller's 2010 campaign was just minutes old before he injured his shoulder for the first time.

He returned five games later only to hurt it again.

It has been a frustrating period for the 27-year-old, who produced the best season of his career last year.

''I hadn't missed any football for the last three years, so it has been frustrating.

''Last year me and Bronson [Harrison] were the only ones who didn't miss a game. So this year has been really frustrating for me. But that's just part of footy these days, you get injuries.''

Miller's determination to play creates a selection headache for coach David Furner, who must cull two players from his extended bench in the coming days.

Should he opt to bring Miller back into his side he is likely to drop either Troy Thompson or Scott Logan.

www.canberratimes.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans tackle testing Canberra conditions

THE Gold Coast Titans have 136 reasons to be worried when they head to Canberra to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

After a woeful defensive display against the Roosters on Monday, the Titans will need a reinforced tackling attitude this week.

In three trips to the nation's capital, the Raiders have piled 136 points on the Gold Coast at an average of 45 per game.

"You can say (it is no different playing in Canberra) but every time you go down there and you run out on the field and your nuts are frozen, you tend to feel like you don't want to be there," said Luke Bailey.

"But every team does it and that is Canberra's advantage.

"They tend to pile on the points because teams aren't prepared but I am pretty sure that won't be the case for us."

The Titans worked hard on fixing their leaky line at training yesterday.

In a physical session overseen by assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister, the Titans were put through a series of wrestling and tackling drills which left Bailey nursing sore ribs, Brad Meyers with a jarred neck and Anthony Laffranchi a whack to the head.

"Our completions are something like 65 per cent, so it doesn't matter how fit you are, you are going to make poor decisions sometimes when you are defending," said Gillmeister.

"We are continually doing more tackles than the opposition especially at half-time, we are doing 40 or 50 more tackles.

"So you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out you are going to get fatigued in the later part of the second half.

"We needed to get back to basics and that is what we have done this week catching, passing and defence.

"It is a very simple game but we complicate it a bit sometimes."

The Titans suffered their biggest loss in history on their first visit to Canberra in 2007, trounced 56-10.

They returned in 2008 only to cop another 46-4 flogging before their strongest showing last season in a narrow 34-28 loss.

Bookmakers have the Raiders as $1.57 favourites to be at the Titans, who are ranked outsiders on $2.40.

The Gold Coast were yesterday boosted by the inclusion of young strike centre Joseph Tomane, who has passed a fitness test on his injured hamstring after being ruled out of the Roosters clash.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Mead on Raider alert

FRESH from his first NRL hat-trick of tries, Gold Coast Titans flyer David Mead is looking forward to his next challenge against the Raiders in Canberra on Sunday.

The 21-year-old former Lismore Marist Brothers junior relishes the big one-on-one match-ups – this weekend he tackles high-flying NSW and Australian representative Joel Monaghan.

Monaghan, who is only three games back from a broken hand, is a noted leaper and is sure to present himself as a target for the pinpoint boot of Terry Campese.

And Mead knows it.

“I am expecting them to try to use Joel’s ability under the high-ball as an advantage – I always do,” Mead said.

“But I have done my preparation and am ready for whatever they throw at me.”

The battle seems a mismatch – 28-year-old Monaghan holds a 7cm, 16kg advantage over his younger rival.

But Mead won’t concede – he has speed to burn.

“He has his advantages and I have mine; that’s the beauty of matching-up in the NRL,” he said.

The Round 13 clash with Canberra sees 2010 acquisition Joseph Tomane return from injury to start inside Mead on the right flank.

Earlier in the year the combination came under fire after being exposed defensively, but they have since rectified the problem.

“Having one bloke inside me consistently is nice,” Mead said.

“We have worked hard on that defensive combination and it is getting better every week.”

The Titans are in a slump. They have lost two in a row for the first time in 2010 and have conceded 140 points in their past five games.

Mead doesn’t have all the answers to what has caused the normally gritty Titans to open up in defence, but he has one.

“Mat Rogers is a huge loss,” he said.

“He is one bloke who is always there when the team needs him. His actions give you something to follow when you are on the field – I know I do.

“When we played Melbourne a few weeks back he turned the game – he got into marker and made four or five tackles in a row and that lifted us all.

“That won us the game and those are the type of efforts we have been missing.”

A noted speedster, Mead shied away from talk of him lining up in the proposed race to be league’s fastest man.

Actually, he hadn’t even got wind of the event.

Team-mate Kevin Gordon has been short-listed as a potential starter – if ‘Flash’ has a case to be there, so does Mead.

“We are pretty much neck-and-neck,” he said.

“One day he will beat me, the next I will beat him, the race would be a bit of fun, yeah.”

But that comes in September – if at all.

For now the race is on for the Titans to get back on track and into the finals where Mead can test himself against the likes of Brett Morris, Lote Tuqiri and Anthony Minichiello.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/

RAIDERS

1. JOSH DUGAN
    2. JOEL MONAGHAN
    3. JARROD CROKER
    4. JOEL THOMPSON
    5. DANIEL VIDOT
    6. TERRY CAMPESE (C)
    7. JOSH McCRONE
    8. DANE TILSE
    9. GLEN BUTTRISS
    10. DAVID SHILLINGTON
    11. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
    12. BRONSON HARRISON
    13. TREVOR THURLING

Interchange
    14. TRAVIS WADDELL
    15. JOE PICKER
    16. TROY THOMPSON
    17. SCOTT LOGAN
    18. ADAM MOGG
    19. JOSH MILLER

COACH: DAVID FURNER

TITANS

1 Preston Campbell
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Clinton Toopi
    4 Joseph Tomane
    5 David Mead
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Michael Henderson
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
    14 Matthew White
    15 Brad Meyers
    16 Sam Tagataese
    17 William Zillman
    18 Bodene Thompson
    20 Will Matthews

Coach: John Cartwright

Campese tipped to blaze in blue

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has backed Raiders teammate Terry Campese to perform for NSW, should he earn a Blues call-up for the second State of Origin clash.
    Campese is one of several playmakers being touted as a possible replacement for incumbent five-eighth Jamie Lyon, who is likely to miss the game with an ankle injury.

Gold Coast's Greg Bird and Cronulla's Trent Barrett are also being considered, as is Blues captain Kurt Gidley who could shift to No6 and allow Jarryd Hayne to assume the fullback role.

NSW must win game two in a fortnight or concede a fifth straight series to Queensland a situation Learoyd-Lahrs is desperate to avoid.

And after watching Campese guide the Raiders to a stirring win over ladder-leader St George Illawarra last weekend, Learoyd-Lahrs said his stand-in Canberra captain was ready for another chance at Origin level.

''If he got an opportunity I think Campo would be well and truly up to it given the fact that he's already had a game there, he knows what to expect,'' Learoyd-Lahrs said.

''The fact that he only got the one chance last year might have been a bit harsh so I'm sure his name will be in the mix. He's probably the same as me, his last couple of weeks have been the best couple of games he's played all year.

''Watching the St George game, you've seen what Campo's capable of when he's on his game.''

Campese is hopeful of another influential performance on Sunday, up against Bird's Titans at Canberra Stadium.

The Raiders are chasing back-to-back wins for the first time this year, and are looking to snap a three-match losing streak at home. The club has never lost four straight matches at Canberra Stadium.

Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington have been named in the starting line-up as the only two changes to David Furner's team that upset the Dragons last start.

Josh Miller and Adam Mogg have been named on an extended bench with injury concerns hanging over Troy Thompson and Travis Waddell.

The Canberra Times

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Raiders look to freeze off hot and cold Titans

Neither team has won an away game yet. I don?t expect this to change in this round.

Source: http://www.theroar.com.au
    That's an accurate comment. What the guy means is that in the history of clashes between the two teams, neither have won an away match. We are 4-0 at home and they are 3-0 going into this round.

Ah yes, I see. That is true. It was just poorly worded.

Thanks for setting us straight Karnage. Have to catch up at a game mate, I haven't seen you this season yet.

Yeah sure mate. I've been there as per normal. I will come down the legion and say g'day before the Manly game - hopefully we won't be staring down the barrel of 4 straight losses...

I am right up the top of my footy tipping comp and I am seriously considering tipping the Raiders this week - it would be the first time I have tipped against us all year so I am seriously torn. At the moment I have stuck solid.

I see the game going 1 of 2 ways:
    (a) We turn up with our game faces on and we simply win, courtesy of the fact that we are a better team.
    (b) We bring the sort of defensive attitude and lack of attacking execution that we have shown in our last 3 matches against the Knights, Broncos and Roosters and we get smashed by 40.

Obviously, I will be banking on (a)!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Yeah sure mate. I've been there as per normal. I will come down the legion and say g'day before the Manly game - hopefully we won't be staring down the barrel of 4 straight losses...

I am right up the top of my footy tipping comp and I am seriously considering tipping the Raiders this week - it would be the first time I have tipped against us all year so I am seriously torn. At the moment I have stuck solid.

(a) We turn up with our game faces on and we simply win, courtesy of the fact that we are a better team.
    (b) We bring the sort of defensive attitude and lack of attacking execution that we have shown in our last 3 matches against the Knights, Broncos and Roosters and we get smashed by 40.

i was gonna tip once this year against us when were at brookie, i kept my titans tip and wha la they won,keep the faith, also i think we are playing better away than home this year.

I really love and appreciate your straight forward analysis Karnage

Pretty much. We are like Jeckle and Hyde lately.

Titans vow to conquer Fortress Canberra

THE Gold Coast Titans are determined to conquer the final frontier and knock over the last of the big six NRL road trips with their first victory in Canberra against the Raiders tomorrow.

Having already reigned supreme in Melbourne, Townsville, New Zealand, Newcastle and Sydney, the Titans have declared it is time to tick Canberra off the list after nothing but misery in three previous visits.

"It is something we need to conquer and haven't done yet," said Titans prop Luke Bailey.

"It comes at a good time because we have been spiralling down a bit over the past couple of weeks.

"So it would be good to regain some confidence by upsetting them down there."

Two of the Titans' three heaviest defeats have come in Canberra, highlighted by a 56-10 flogging in their inaugural season.

But the Coast experienced a breakout year on the road last season, posting wins away to the Storm and Warriors for the first time, adding to victories in North Queensland and Sydney in previous years.

In Round 9 against the Knights this season, the Titans narrowly emerged with the spoils from the coal city 38-36 as well as smashing a long-standing Brookvale Oval hoodoo against Manly in Round 7.

"We haven't won down there since we came in," said Titans fullback Preston Campbell.

"But we have changed a few things this year and we won down at Brookvale, so we would like to be able to do something like that down in Canberra."

In fact, no Gold Coast side has ever won in Canberra.

The Gold Coast Seagulls went the closest in 1991, going down 20-18 against a mighty green machine boasting the likes of Mal Meninga, Brett Mullins, Ricky Stuart, Brent Todd, Steve Walters, Glenn Lazarus and Jason Croker.

Titans strike centre Joseph Tomane returns after being sidelined last week with a hamstring injury at the expense of Josh Graham in the only change for the Coast.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright is still weighing up whether to run with four forwards on the bench against the mammoth Raiders side.

He will decide closer to kick off whether prop Will Matthews or flyer William Zillman gets the last interchange spot.

"We need a bit of confidence back in our defence and there is no better way than to do it down there," said Bailey.

"They have got some big units, probably the biggest pack in the comp.

"At the start of the year (in Round 3 at Skilled Park) we handled them well so we know we can do it.

"So hopefully we can do a job on them. But it is easier said than done down there."

NSW selectors keep an eye on Bird

THE showdown for the NSW No.6 jersey may come down to Greg Bird's stoush with Raiders pivot Terry Campese at Canberra tomorrow not that the Gold Coast Titans playmaker is losing any sleep over it.

Bird might be sick of the speculation but he better get used to it after confirmation NSW selector Bob McCarthy will keep a close eye on the Titans' trip to the capital.

Thrown an NRL lifeline by the Titans following his much publicised assault case, Bird now has a chance of playing for NSW for the first time since 2008 following the ankle injury to incumbent Blues pivot Jamie Lyon.

But Bird claims higher priorities like rectifying the Titans' 7-4 season.

Somehow they are still in the top four after two straight losses, including last round's 30-16 capitulation to Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park.

Bird had some nice touches in the match in which the Titans were held scoreless in the second half as NSW selector Laurie Daley looked on.

And his representative record shows he can more than handle the next step up.

In fact Bird has won two man-of-the-match awards in just four games for NSW prompting Immortal Bob Fulton to describe him as the Blues' version of Wally Lewis two years ago.

But Bird clearly wasn't holding his breath ahead of the NSW team announcement on Monday night.

``Look, I have really tried not to think about it,'' he said.

``I have been thinking if I play the best for this team then that is going to show what I have got to give (for NSW).

``I am not trying to impress selectors, just win games hopefully that impresses selectors.''

While coy on who should play at No.6 for NSW, Bird was keen for former Cronulla teammate Brett Kimmorley to retain the halfback role.

``It's hard in any game, at club level or rep level, when you lose a game to get dropped,'' he said.

``I would like to see Noddy in there again. He is a mate of mine, a good player but of course that is up to the selectors.''

Stop dropping the damn ball!!
    Sante des femmes viagrasansordonnancefr.com France sans maladie

Banned

no bloody patience in attack, they dont go deep enough to set up a play, and the raiders have about 2 sets to titans 6 in their 20 and they lead 12-6

Raiders second try immediately after a drop ball by Tomane.

We really know how to give a game away.