Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hayne gets charged and Slater gets off.

Now that will stir the inter-state pot!
    The ref dealt with Slater on the field & sin binned him so that has saved him but don't be surprised if Hayne fights the charge & gets off..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Bellamy says he's confused

NSW have no idea how to stop Mal Meninga's mighty Maroons claiming an historic fifth-straight State of Origin series after the Blues last night failed to name a team for Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

With the Blues descending into injury and judiciary chaos, coach Craig Bellamy was forced to unveil an unprecedented 21-man squad rather than the traditional starting 17.

The under-siege NSW boss admitted he was unlikely to nut out a side until at least tomorrow morning, giving him just eight days to prepare for what is starting to look like mission impossible.

Bellamy's major concern is whether Jarryd Hayne and Luke Lewis will get slapped with suspensions today.

Of the 21 players named, three are under serious injury clouds, with prop Michael Weyman (groin), centre Beau Scott (adductor) and utility back Josh Dugan (knee) in doubt.

In a startling admission, Bellamy conceded even he was confused at times in the selectors meeting by the number of potential combinations he will have to wade through.

"It's not just if one guy goes out this guy comes in, it's a bit of a balance to certain positions, balance to the bench." said Bellamy.

"There are 21 names there, there are 17 who are going to definitely be in the team. You could spend five or six hours working things out and something might change and that all doesn't work out at all.

"It was quite confusing with all the different options that can happen.

"I'm not quite sure how many manoeuvres we could make. You could end up with a whole heap of options."

Bellamy has taken the scalpel to his side that lost Game 1 in Sydney last month, dropping halfback Brett Kimmorley and prop Josh Perry.

Backrower Anthony Watmough (groin) and five-eighth Jamie Lyon (ankle) are also out injured.

Rookie halfback Mitchell Pearce appears to be the man handed the job of saving the series for NSW, while Trent Barrett has beaten Titans enforcer Greg Bird to the five-eighth jumper.

"Until we get through the medical in the morning and (the judiciary) we won't really know what the team is," said Bellamy.

"If the three injured guys come through and the two guys get off at the judiciary, you've got your 17 in mind.

"If three of them miss out and the two guys lose at the judiciary, you've probably got your 17.

"What happens in between, that's the hard thing."

Queensland will name their side in Brisbane today at 1pm and if anything, the Maroons will have an even stronger side for their homecoming, with hooker Cameron Smith returning from an elbow injury after missing Queensland's 28-24 win in the series opener.

The only other change will see Gold Coast product Ben Hannant in for injured warhorse Petero Civoniceva.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hayne could be heading for pain

PARRAMATTA star Jarryd Hayne is shattered that a moment of madness may cost him a State of Origin berth.

Hayne was named in an extended squad by NSW selectors last night but along with Penrith utility Luke Lewis, he must first beat charges at the judiciary tonight if he is to play in Origin 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

Hayne and Lewis have until midday today to decide whether to fight the charges.

Lewis was charged with a grade one dangerous throw for his tackle on Newcastle's Matt Hilder while Hayne was hit with a grade one striking charge for headbutting Billy Slater in the Eels spiteful win against the Storm.

The Eels fullback's pain was exacerbated by the fact Slater will be free to line up for Queensland after he escaped penalty for his part in an ugly incident later in the match which resulted in him being sin-binned for trying to elbow Hayne in retaliation.

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne was left bemused by the match review committee's decisions.

"I thought it was pretty soft," said Osborne.

"I'm not even sure I'd use the word headbutt. It was soft and I'm a little bit surprised he's been charged. I say this as a rugby league fan -- I'd be very disappointed if Jarryd Hayne missed Origin because of that."

But that's a very real prospect, with his counsel Geoff Bellew having little room to move with a grade one charge.

Hayne would have escaped suspension with an early guilty plea had he not received a 20 per cent loading for a non-similar (kneeing) charge last year.

"I'm very disappointed I got charged," said Hayne yesterday. "Hopefully we'll have a meeting tonight and see where we go from there."

And the Eels can't believe Slater escaped punishment for his part in a spiteful clash.

"I was surprised that he (Hayne) was charged and I suppose I was equally surprised that nothing else came out of the game," said Osborne. "I thought that the alleged elbow from Billy was as good, or as bad, as the alleged headbutt from Jarryd."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Hayne got off!! He is free to play!

WTF!?!?!?
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Dummy Half View Post
    Hayne got off!! He is free to play!

WTF!?!?!?
    -
    Just saw that on the ticker on Fox Sports News. What a rort!

Haven't seen any news story actually on it yet though.

What about Luke Lewis?

Just saw that on the ticker on Fox Sports News. What a rort!
    Come on Diehard...surely you can't call that a 'head butt'?

I've seen head butts before...they looked nothing like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Come on Diehard...surely you can't call that a 'head butt'?

I've seen head butts before...they looked nothing like that!
    That's why he was charged with a GRADE 1 striking not a GRADE 3,4 or 5.
    It wasn't the worst head butt but it was STILL a head butt!

Getting off a GRADE 1 is basically saying that it didn't happen!

Great message to send to kids.
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    -

That's why he was charged with a GRADE 1 striking not a GRADE 3,4 or 5.
    It wasn't the worst head butt but it was STILL a head butt!

Getting off a GRADE 1 is basically saying that it didn't happen!

Great message to send to kids.
    -
    It didn't happen...there was no head butt...Slater didn't feel it and Hayne shouldn't miss Origin for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    It didn't happen...there was no head butt...Slater didn't feel it and Hayne shouldn't miss Origin for it.
    Head butt
    noun
    an aggressive and forceful thrust with the top of the head into the face or body of another person.

My eyes work. Do yours?
    -
    -

You got to really wonder about some of the recent decisions coming out of the NRL. Hayne and before that Thurston, should IMO should have been stood down.

As dummy half says, POOR EXAMPLE to the kids.

Do we even have rules in the NRL anymore? They have been bent and twisted so often that I can not recognise them.

But hey.... well they got what they wanted, Hayne v Slater. Should make for a great game. More gun powder packed down into the State of Origin rivalry.

Head butt
    noun
    an aggressive and forceful thrust with the top of the head into the face or body of another person.

My eyes work. Do yours?
    -
    Hayne's headbutt lacked force. As a QLD supporter I am glad he didn't get suspended for such a minor incident.

"Rookie halfback Mitchell Pearce appears to be the man handed the job of saving the series for NSW,"
    Rookie how, he's played origin and 3 years of 1st grade.
    Last edited by kwigibo; 08-06-10 at 10:06 PM.

And regarding Hayne, Zillman got 4 weeks for a bite that was hardly a bite, Hayne should have got something. A head butt is a head butt, whether it hurts or not it's still dangerous and contrary conduct. They only set bad precedents and make hypocrites of everyone by letting star players off.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Hayne's headbutt lacked force. As a QLD supporter I am glad he didn't get suspended for such a minor incident.
    Of course it had force, otherwise Slaters' head would not have recoiled. I'm not saying there was a LOT of force, but that's why it was a GRADE 1 not a GRADE 4. It's still a head butt. Letting him off a grade 1 is the equivalent of saying that it wasn't a head butt to begin with. And as you said yourself "Hayne's headbutt lacked force", so yes it's a low-end head butt, but it's still a head butt and should have been charged. I think its pretty clear that were Origin not an issue, he would have been suspended. And the NRL loses a lot of credibility because of it.

On a different note: I think u should need double the points (200 instead of 100) to miss an Origin match anyway because they are so important, same goes for finals and the GF. Then supposed "little things" can't make anyone miss a big game.
    -
    -

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

And the drunken street thug dog shot (elbow) from behind that salter put on Hayne that was ok.. Cause Haynes head moved forward wen he hit him..... i think its even dont u.... And things got abit heated so wat its not touch football... and if it wasnt SOO time no1 would give a crap...