Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default State of Origin: Game 2 (2010)

State of Origin

Queensland Maroons v NSW Blues
    Wednesday July 7, 2010 - Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park)

MAROONS

1. Billy Slater
    2. Darius Boyd
    3. Greg Inglis
    4. Willie Tonga
    5. Israel Folau
    6. Darren Lockyer
    7. Johnathan Thurston
    8. Matthew Scott
    9. Cameron Smith
    10. David Shillington
    11. Nate Myles
    12. Sam Thaiday
    13. Ashley Harrison
    14. Cooper Cronk
    15. Ben Hannant
    16. Neville Costigan
    17. David Taylor

Jharal Yow Yeh is the 18th man.

BLUES

1 Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
    2 Brett Morris (Dragons)
    3 Matt Cooper (Dragons)
    4 Beau Scott (Dragons)
    5 Timana Tahu (Eels)
    6 Trent Barrett [vc] (Sharks)
    7 Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
    8 Michael Weyman (Dragons)
    9 Michael Ennis (Bulldogs)
    10 Brett White (Storm)
    11 Trent Waterhouse (Panthers)
    12 Ben Creagh (Dragons)
    13 Paul Gallen (Sharks)

14 Kurt Gidley [c] (Knights)
    15 Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels)
    16 Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Raiders)
    17 Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 08-06-10 at 11:24 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Blues need changes for Origin II: Sailor

NSW has no hope of saving the State of Origin series if they take the same squad to Suncorp Stadium for the return bout, says Queensland great Wendell Sailor.

The battered Blues players are pleading for a shot at redemption, but Sailor believes a raft of alterations are required, including switching Jarryd Hayne to fullback and Jamie Lyon to centre.

With the Blues on the brink of an embarrassing fifth straight series loss after surrendering meekly in Wednesday night's 28-24 opening game defeat, Sailor said NSW had to take the axe to a side which failed to seriously challenge the Maroons at ANZ Stadium.

"They've got to make changes otherwise it's going to be 2-0," said Sailor, who tormented the Blues in 14 appearances for the Maroons from 1996-2001.

"They need to get the selections right ... why would you pick four centres and bring (Jamal) Idris into the game when you've got to then make three of four changes?

"You pick players in their position ... Jamie Lyon's playing great in the centres and you put him at five-eighth - NSW are their own worst enemies sometimes.

"They've got to make changes, and they've got to make the right changes.

"Whether it's to bring (Paul) Gallen in, whether to bring Greg Bird in - they're missing something there."

Sailor's advice may strike a raw nerve with NSW hierarchy, though it seems even Queenslanders are keen to see the Blues put up a stronger challenge in a contest starting to lose some lustre.

Even the prospect of a fierce physical onslaught seems to have evaporated, with NSW - having talked the talk about aggressive intent in the lead-up to Origin I - walking the walk for about 20 minutes before bowing to Queensland's superior skill and temperament.

Had Blues selectors known the contest was going to turn into a slogfest after torrential rain, there's little doubt they would have given the inclusion of hard men like Gallen, Bird and North Queensland's Luke O'Donnell more thought.

Halfback Mitchell Pearce will have his chance over the next fortnight to supplant Brett Kimmorley in the No.7 jumper, while strong performances could also earn Wests Tigers hooker Robbie Farah an Origin recall to add some spark to an unimaginative NSW attack.

NSW coach Craig Bellamy had described the game one team as the best squad picked in his three years in the role, though it seems inevitable that Jarryd Hayne will go to fullback for game two with captain Kurt Gidley moving to the halves after that combination yielded two tries late in the game.

"He obviously is more comfortable at fullback so pick him there," Sailor said of Hayne.

"He's the best player for NSW and the more he touches the ball the better he's going to be."

Hayne to fullback would likely see Jamie Lyon shuffle out to his favoured centre position, with either Timana Tahu or Matt Cooper - who came off for Idris at halftime due to a hip injury - to make way.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Mal Meninga tips Maroons to run riot in State of Origin 2 at Suncorp Stadium

Meninga said Queensland's win in Sydney was more emphatic than the final scoreline indicated, with Queensland having led 28-14 with 13 minutes left.

On a heavy, greasy surface the Queensland backs scored four of the five tries and looked capable of scoring more.

"We're as dangerous as the opposition makes us basically, so our performance last night was fairly comprehensive," Meninga said.

"If they give us the same sort of space on a dry track we could be very dangerous.

"At the moment we have the upper hand, but we don't get complacent. It's a three-match series."

In the build-up to Origin III last year the players let their hair down after clinching the series in the return game in Sydney but there is no danger of that happening before the Brisbane game.

"The players have learnt their lesson," co-manager Jason Hetherington said.

"The fans who paid good money for the third game last year deserved more, although we still put up a good fight.

"But you have to get your preparation right."

Queensland fullback Billy Slater agreed with Meninga that a firm track at Suncorp would be a bonus.

"But it's not going to just happen because we're at Suncorp," Slater said. "We've got to make it happen and if we have to score points we'll use our skill and back our pace.

"It was a bit disappointing that they got back into the match last night and scored on the bell in the end.

"I suppose that's Origin. Both teams keep coming at you until the 80th minute.

"I hope we can get a quick track up at Suncorp. It was an ice rink at ANZ and the ball was a cake of soap.

"Underfoot that was probably the worst I've seen that ground. It was very muddy."

Former State of Origin five-eighth Kevin Walters will quit Super League club Catalans Dragons at the end of the season after declining to take up his option for 2011.

Walters succeeded fellow Australian Mick Potter in 2008 and last year guided the French club to the SL finals. But the Dragons are last this year with two wins from 15 starts.

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

Origin would be great says Blue-Bird

THE forgotten man of NSW Origin, Greg Bird, is adamant Queensland are beatable and said he would be thrilled to be given the opportunity to help turn the tide in the second match of the series on June 16. Overlooked for Origin I, and reportedly not at the forefront of selectors' minds for a call-up, Bird is a proven performer at the highest level.

Man of the match in two of his four NSW appearances, and judged best on field in one of his two Tests for Australia, the 26-year-old is rated by many as just the type of character the Blues need to arrest Queensland's mounting dominance. Aggressive, uncompromising and blessed with a strong running game and skill to boot, Bird had been in line for a role in Craig Bellamy's side until the City-Country trial. His failure to stand out at Port Macquarie prompted his Origin omission.

However, as his club side Gold Coast continue to press for the competition lead he is quietly making a campaign for a recall at some point this series.

''I'd be stoked to be there. But it's not up to me to decide,'' Bird told the Herald. ''Everyone wants to be involved in that game. They're the best players in rugby league, to be involved with all of them playing together is something special. The calibre of player you've got next to you … it's just not club football. It shows when you get out there - the football is a lot faster and it's a lot more physical. It is definitely a step up.''

Bird was watching on the tourist strip on Wednesday night as the all-conquering Maroons took a series lead at ANZ Stadium with a relentless performance. Despite the naysayers, he believes Queensland can be beaten.

''I don't think any team is invincible these days,'' he said. ''They were good the other night - I just think there are areas that NSW can work on and we can come back.''

He said his four appearances in 2007 and 2008 were the highlight of his career to date. ''I guess it's probably the highlight for most people's representative careers,'' he said. ''I've never been involved in a series win but just to get there again would be a massive honour for me.''

There are those in the NSW hierarchy who believe that Bird is more a lock than a five-eighth, where Titans coach John Cartwright has used him this season. The player himself, though, said he was equally comfortable at either and argued his aggressive, running style meant his role was very much the same no matter what jumper he wore.

''It doesn't bother me playing six or No.13,'' Bird said. ''I like to run the ball. I'm playing No.6 up here because that is what's best for our game. I enjoy playing six but if I'm needed to play 13 I'll play 13. The way I play it doesn't make a great difference which one I'm playing.''

Bird's Titans play the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park on Monday night.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Looks like Lyon is injured and may miss Origin 2. If this is true, it means he won't be a part of the Manly team that will play us the week after next at Skilled Park.

Brad Meyers a chance for Origin 2

TITANS coach John Cartwright has backed flame-haired prop Brad Meyers for a State of Origin resurrection should veteran bookend Petero Civoniceva fail to recover in time for Game 2 at Suncorp Stadium on June 16.

Civoniceva has conceded he needs a minor miracle to overcome a broken right hand, which is expected to rule him out for between four to six weeks.

With the second Origin clash just two and a half weeks away, the Maroons appear set to be without both of their most experience props as Steve Price's lengthy recovery from a foot injury shows few signs of improvement.

It will be the first time neither Price nor Civoniceva has been part of a Maroons 17 since the opening match of the 2002 series, a game won 32-4 by the Blues.

Cartwright said if Queensland Origin selectors were looking for an experienced campaigner to step in and fill the void, they should look no further than Meyers.

''He is a great team player,'' said Cartwright.

''He backs up better than anyone, his tackle count and clean up in his tackles is very good.

''He does all the little things well.

''He was mentioned in patches before the first Origin, so a good consistent two weeks of footy and you think he would be right up there again.''

Cartwright said Meyers, who played two games for the Maroons in 2001, would savour a return to the Origin arena.

But standing in his way to partner the likes of young props David Shillington and Matt Scott is Gold Coast product Ben Hannant, who is likely to return from a knee injury next week for the Bulldogs.

''If he did get a crack he would look at it as a bonus,'' said Cartwright.

''It is the same if they would have went with Friendy last week.

''You know in the back of your mind that Cameron Smith is going to be back or in this case Petero is going to be back but even if it is a one off, it is a dream come true.

''You know they wouldn't let anyone down that is for sure.''

Cartwright has found himself at the centre of his own Origin selection drama, with the Titans mentor named as one of the favourites to replace NSW boss Craig Bellamy should he lose his third straight series.

''It is not something that is at the forefront of my mind at the moment,'' said Cartwright.

''State of Origin is a great time of year but for me it is all about getting two points on Monday night.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

I'm glad that the Maroons won't pick Folau. And even Lockyer and Petro agree with the stance.

We can bring in hopefully Tate, it would be pleasing to see him rewarded for his effort and loyalty. He usually performas well for the Maroons as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I'm glad that the Maroons won't pick Folau. And even Lockyer and Petro agree with the stance.

We can bring in hopefully Tate, it would be pleasing to see him rewarded for his effort and loyalty. He usually performas well for the Maroons as well.
    bring in lote i say

Yea Lote has been devastating. I'd like to see him run over the top of some Blues!

TATE??? NO WAY....

would much prefer to see lote come back into the team
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Banned

is kevin gordan a qlder? not picking him but just curious.

oh please, please, please, bring in Tate.... hes usually best on field for the BLUES....lol

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    is kevin gordan a qlder? not picking him but just curious.
    He is a Blue.

My first pick would be Lote, I would have had him in for Game 1.

But you know how Queensland is with loyalty. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    oh please, please, please, bring in Tate.... hes usually best on field for the BLUES....lol
    Haha yes he sure is, why would QLD pick tate? As if you would put Tate instead of Tuquiri?

Blazer
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

Lote Tuqiri, Brent Tate in Origin II 'trials'

THE Maroons' battle-plan for Israel Folau's replacement steps up a gear tonight when selector Allan Smith runs the rule over former Wallaby Lote Tuqiri.

Smith will attend the Bulldogs-Wests Tigers match at ANZ Stadium and says Tigers winger Tuqiri is well in the mix for a return to representative league.

New Zealand Warriors star Brent Tate, a 15-game veteran for Queensland, has the inside running for Folau's spot, with QRL managing director Ross Livermore indicating his loyalty and long service would be major factors in the selection debate.

While the QRL are not sending a selector to Auckland this weekend, they have their own man on the spot - Tate's brother-in-law Steve Price.

The injured prop has been asked to give an assessment of Tate's display in tomorrow's match against St George Illawarra at Mt Smart Stadium. Steve Ricketts

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/