Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Well welcome to a wet Saturday morning. Gave me worry about Monday. I sat through a rain soaked Test Match recently and would rather avoid the rain. And besides I want to see a great crowd and some open football out there.

Here is the current weather...

Saturday: Cloudy with rain areas. Possible late thunderstorm in the south. A cool day with light to moderate SW to NW winds.
    Sunday: Fine.
    Monday: Fine.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans v Roosters Game notes

- The Titans have won their past three matches against the Roosers

- The Roosters have not won on the Gold Coast since 1997.

- The Titans have won 15 of their past 18 games at Skilled Park.

- The Roosters have lost their past four Monday night games.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

QLD Cup Titan

All sounds positive to me!! Lets go Titans! I would rather a win by more than 4 points this time too

MOnday night fine will mean fricking freezing!!!

Just bought a sweet looking Titans hoodie and I'm thinking it might get a run on Monday night. Dragons have foiled any chance of being top of the ladder and we look vulnerable I wreckon with Tomane in doubt.

Don't care if we win by only 1 - we need to get back in the winners list!!

Pearce next Alf or Joey - Beetson

RUGBY league Immortal Arthur Beetson has given young Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce the ultimate compliment by comparing him to NSW legend Andrew Johns.

The stunning praise came before Pearce's much-anticipated comeback from a shoulder injury tomorrow night against the Gold Coast Titans.

The match could resurrect Pearce's Origin career, while ending that of Blues incumbent Brett Kimmorley.

Pearce hasn't played in over a month and his return couldn't be more timely as Blues selectors ponder an overhaul of the line-up for Origin II at Suncorp Stadium on June 16.

However, Kurt Gidley is favoured to wear the Blues No 7 jumper alongside Sharks five-eighth Trent Barrett.

But Pearce can change all that, starting with a big performance against the Titans.

Beetson suggested the only way the Blues could save the series was by selecting the 21-year-old Pearce at halfback.

"I should be happy, but I am not," said Beetson, who played and coached the Maroons between 1980-1990.

"NSW can't beat Queensland with that side and it is not good for Origin. It is not what Origin used to be and we need NSW to be more competitive.

"It helps if you have a bloke like Johnathan Thurston, and Mitchell Pearce can be every bit as good as him.

"They are mad if they don't pick him. He is going to be the long-term halfback and I'll tell you know he will be up there with Andrew Johns and Alfie Langer when he finishes his career. That's how good he is. We will be talking about him like we talk about those two."

Two years ago, Pearce was the baby-faced Blues halfback plucked from obscurity to save our state.

"I look back now and think that I was too young," Pearce told The Sunday Telegraph.

And it's with the similar honesty that he warned under-fire Blues selectors against thrusting him back into the NSW hot seat too early.

"Queensland were really good, they've got some great players, but I thought NSW competed really well," Pearce said.

"I think they've got a lot of improvement in them. I think it's [criticism] unfair on the players.

"They would be stupid to change the side.

"I felt Kimmorley and (Michael) Ennis and Jamie Lyon played really well considering. I thought they did some good things.

"They've come under some critcism, but I think they deserve another chance.

"That's the side that won game three last year, so I'm sure those boys will bounce back.

"They'll be the ones that know what they have to improve on, nobody else."

Pearce was 19 when he made his NSW debut alongside Braith Anasta in the 2008 series decider, which Queensland won 16-10.

Former Roosters coach Brad Fittler last week said Pearce's Origin initiation came before his time, something the Roosters star acknowledged.

"It was two years ago," Pearce said.

"I look back and think I was too young, but that's how it was. I took my chance and I'd like another opportunity. I suppose everyone likes to play in that arena.

"Every year seems to be going so quick now, it seems like a long time ago. But this year has been the most enjoyable year I've had so far playing first grade.

"I'm playing with a great bunch of blokes and a very good coach, I just have to focus on getting back on top for the Roosters.

"Before I was injured I was hoping to be part of State of Origin, but injuries are part of footy and it wasn't to be for that game so I've just got back to worrying about Monday night and playing for the Roosters."

The Roosters form slump - they have won two games in five weeks - has been linked heavily to the absence of Pearce.

But the son of former Balmain legend Wayne Pearce - who won Origin series as captain and coach - claimed it was up to the entire playing group to lift their game.

'It's got nothing to do with me [being out injured]," Pearce said.

"I just think we've had a down couple of weeks. A couple of games when I was playing we were down as well.

"The bye has been good for everyone. We know what we need to improve on and we'll work hard to get back up the top of the ladder again."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au

Junior

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    might go to this one, believe it or not the roosters were my fav team before titans.
    after being a supporter of the seagulls,giants and chargers.and after the collapse of the GC team.i had no choice to be a supporter of the broncos for many years....nobody believes you can just change your fav team like that,but something about the gold coast and the titans...they draw you in,and you seem to want to change teams again...roosters to titans...good move i say!!!!

member since 2008!!! titan fan forever!!!!!

Those Arthur Beetson comments about Pearce are absolute rubbish. He can improve 300% and he still won't be as good as Prince or Cronk let alone up in the upper echelons with Johns / Langer / Thurston.

Every time that bloke opens his mouth he sounds more and more like a joke.

Well look how Langer ripped it up at such a young age at Origin level.

Beetson may be an Immortal but some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is rubbish.

Maybe he has wraps on him from when Beetson used to be with the Roosters.

NSW selectors "painted into a corner"

Alarm bells may be ringing on the Gold Coast ahead of Sydney Roosters No.7 Mitchell Pearce's NRL return on Monday night under the watchful eyes of NSW selectors.

But Titans coach John Cartwright said Blues selectors had "painted themselves in a corner", making it tough to pick Pearce for June 16's Origin II.

Pearce will be keen to impress in his first game in five weeks due to a shoulder injury - especially with NSW incumbent No.7 Brett Kimmorley feeling the heat.

Titans skipper Scott Prince said on Sunday the classy halfback's return had sounded "alarm bells for our defensive line".

"Before he got injured he was tipped to be the No.7 for the Blues so with him back it adds to their kicking game - obviously there are danger signs," he said.

However, Cartwright believed NSW's beaten Origin I side had to be given another chance after claiming Blues selectors had prematurely played the loyalty card.

Even if that means some of his high profile Titans chargers - including in-form pivot Greg Bird - were overlooked again for Origin II at Brisbane.

"They (NSW selectors) have painted themselves in a corner saying they are going to stick with the side they named first," ex-NSW backrower Cartwright said on Sunday.

"They (NSW Origin I side) deserve a chance to redeem themselves.

"That's a tough one for the selectors to have put themselves in that position." However, an ankle injury suffered by NSW's Origin I pivot Jamie Lyon this weekend may yet change everything.

Both Cartwright and Prince backed Bird for a NSW nod.

Bird will be full of confidence against the Roosters after the Titans confirmed on Sunday they had extended his contract until the end of the 2011 season.

With only Ash Harrison (Queensland) backing up from Origin I, Cartwright almost credited their lack of representative stars with their impressive 2010 record (7-3; equal 2nd).

"It's the toughest part of the year but touch wood we haven't had many injuries and not many players in rep sides so that is a positive for us," he said.

"I think it (representative snub) says a lot about us as a side.

"They work very hard for each other which means you don't get many standouts." And Cartwright wasn't losing too much sleep over his own NSW claims after being linked with the Blues coaching job held by the besieged Craig Bellamy.

"It's a tough ask. Origin is very intense," Cartwright said of juggling NRL and Origin coaching duties.

"You'd think about it once the question was put to you.

"But it's not at the forefront of my mind." Cartwright said Bellamy was being made a scapegoat for NSW being in sight of losing five straight series.

"They are up against a red-hot Queensland side full of confidence," he said.

"They are tough to beat, I think that is what everyone is forgetting.

"If they (NSW) win they get it right and if they lose they have to blame someone." Meanwhile, Josh Graham replaces Joseph Tomane (hamstring) in the Titans centres.

http://news.smh.com.au/

Bird sets sights on payback

REFORMED bad boy Greg Bird has outlined his dream to win a premiership at the Titans after clinching a new deal with the club and scoring a $150,000 pay rise.

In a major coup for the Titans ahead of tomorrow night's clash against the Roosters at Skilled Park, the club has handed Bird a lucrative 12-month extension - keeping the former Test enforcer on the Gold Coast for 2011.

It is understood Bird's upgraded contract is worth $250,000, a marked increase on the $100,000 lifeline he accepted from the Titans to resurrect his career in the NRL this season.

Bird, who escaped a jail term on appeal last year, has been a revelation at five-eighth for the Titans, helping transform the club into a bona fide title contender alongside halves partner Scott Prince.

And the 26-year-old warned NRL rivals his best was yet to come as he attempts to repay the Gold Coast's faith by leading them to a watershed title.

"I guess it's a good safety net for me, I've had a bit of a dodgy reputation that has stuck to me but hopefully it's all behind me. I love it up here and the team is going great, hopefully we can keep improving and be the dominant team in Queensland.

"I was always hoping to stay here. The Titans brought me back and gave me the lifeline I needed. I'm in a good place and it's a great club. I just want to repay their loyalty now. My best is still to come."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

Minichiello brothers fight for bragging rights

THE head-to-head scorecard reads like a big brother playing bully.

But Anthony Minichiello knows the stakes will be vastly different when he faces brother Mark on the Gold Coast tonight.

The Roosters' Anthony holds bragging rights with a 3-0 record in games between the siblings.

However, those victories came when Mark was playing for the rebuilding Rabbitohs, and not the high-flying Titans.

"We got them every time when he was at Souths [who were struggling] and we were going through a good period, but now it's sort of the Titans who are going though a good period, so it will be a tough game, especially up there," Anthony said.

The Green Valley brothers - who are two years apart - don't like to play mind games with each other off the field.

"But on the field it's a different story," Anthony said.

"We have a bit of fun, you know. You never know what could happen."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Hopefully Mark can score a decisive win over his brother Anthony tonight!

I didn't even pick up on Tomane being ruled out until I looked at the betting and saw Josh Graham there. Would like to see Mead attack on the inside of Graham in this one.

At the game. Legion has a new massive drum. Sounds like a thunderstorm

Titans win the coin toss. Good omen!