Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Chooks rule roost

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey last night called on his teammate to have a `good hard look at themselves' after the Gold Coast slumped to their worst performance of the season against the Sydney Roosters at Skilled Park.

The Coast could not have started better in front of 13,235 home fans, with winger David Mead running in two tries in the first 10 minutes.

But when they should have gone on with the job, the Titans imploded with handling errors and defensive lapses allowing the Roosters to storm home 30-16.

The Titans have now leaked 118 points in their past four games and Bailey said they needed to find a cure to the defensive cancer creeping into the side.

"It was probably our best start with a bit of luck going our way and we controlled the middle third pretty good," said Bailey. "But then the errors came and the penalties.

"It is a bit concerning the amount of points we have let in over the last few weeks.

"We have to have a good hard look at ourselves.

"I don't think we have fixed the problems of leaking tries.

"The first two or three months of the season we prided ourselves on grinding defensive wins.

"We weren't playing flash footy but our defence was there.

"It is only mid-season but we need to fix the problems and it all starts with defence and our attitude."

With the return of playmaker Mitchell Pearce, the Roosters fought back with four straight first half tries to centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall, winger Anthony Minichiello, backrower Frank Paul Nuuausala and five-eighth Braith Anasta to shoot out to an 18-10 lead.

The Titans hit back two minutes before the break, with halfback Scott Prince putting a pin-point kick into the corner for a speeding Mead, who touched down to bag his hat-trick and narrow the gap to two points.

The Coast enjoyed the better field position to open the second stanza, but the Roosters were first to score, Kenny-Dowall getting his second and when Nuuausala followed suit minutes later the visitors stretched the margin to 14 points.

The Titans looked rusty after the 17-day break since their last clash with the Broncos.

But coach John Cartwright refused to use the extended rest as an excuse.

"We were very ordinary," he said. "It was very disappointing.

"We came here fresh and expecting to play a lot better than that."

The Titans, who have slipped to fourth on the competition table, must now regroup before a tough trip to the nation's capital to take on the Raiders on Sunday.

Two of the Coast's three biggest losing margins in their history have come in Canberra, with a 56-10 thumping in 2007 and a 46-4 flogging in 2008, so they face a slaughter should they get it wrong again.

"When you make an error you are expected to defend it and we are falling short there," said Bailey.
    "It is something we need to fix up heading into the second half of the season."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Pearce shines as Titans hit by hot chooks

MITCHELL Pearce has given NSW selector Laurie Daley something to ponder tonight at Skilled Park, as the Gold Coast Titans were over-run 30-16 by a hot Rooster side.

The Titans enjoyed a great start, with two quick tries to David Mead on his way to a first-half hat-trick.

But it all become one-way traffic in the second half.

Just hours after it was revealed incumbent NSW pivot Jamie Lyon would be sidelined for up to three weeks with an ankle injury, Pearce's comeback from injury could barely have been better timed.

Under Daley's watchful gaze, Pearce combined brilliantly with Braith Anasta for the Roosters as fellow Origin hopeful Greg Bird's Titans were kept scoreless in the second half.

In his first game in five weeks due to a shoulder complaint, Pearce hit the ground running to have a hand in three out of the Roosters' six tries, with Anasta clearly revelling in his halves partner's return.

At 19, a shellshocked Pearce made his Origin debut in 2008's decider - won 16-10 by Queensland - coincidentally alongside then-Blues pivot Anasta.

Reunited with his partner in crime Anasta, an older and wiser Pearce showed on Monday night he was ready to again step up for NSW as he helped the Roosters bounce back from an early 10-0 deficit.

Pearce's cross-field kick led to centre Shaun Kenny-Dowall's opening try for the Roosters in the 13th minute.

Anasta then chimed in to help the Roosters pile on the next three tries in 14 minutes - including a solo effort from dummy half - to give the Roosters an 18-10 lead.

The brace included a controversial try to hulking lock Frank Paul Nuuausala in the 26th minute.

Phil Graham and Anthony Minichiello appeared to knock on as they flew high to regather an Anasta kick before Nuuausala grounded the ball, as Titans fullback Preston Campbell stood by willing it dead.

But video referee Paul Simpkins shocked the Titans faithful when he gave the green light.

The Titans reduced the damage to 18-16 by halftime when PNG international David Mead completed his hat-trick after gobbling up a Scott Prince kick.

But the Roosters rolled on in the second half, with Kenny-Dowall and Nuuausala completing their doubles by the 58th minute to seal the result.

The Roosters (6-5 record) snapped a two game losing run with the comprehensive win in front of a 13,325-strong crowd while the Titans (7-4) remain in the top four despite the gut-wrenching loss.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101 View Post
    You'd think with the week off their defense would have been addressed, but it's still just SO soft. Drop balls every time we make it into the Roosters end completely killed any hope of winning this game too.

That second half by the Titans was just as bad as the 13th placed Bulldogs in their first half against Melbourne, until we fix our defensive issues and STOP DROPPING THE BALL expect us to slump down the ladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    careful mate, all of us who bag the crappy titans might get banned or verbally assaulted by the moderators and whatnot. and this goes to show that changing a bad team isnt bad like i said then i got criticized.
    If u look at his post he not going on nd on nd on about how much the titans suck like u do every freaking week... Yes we all know we need sum work on a few things and yes i also think we need to drop afew players for them to wake up to them selfs....

But dude have sum faith in the club u spose to follow every club in the comp is have a prob of the same thing in one way or another.. Cause at the moment all u sound like is a fan from another club comming on here to bag the crap out of us...... And Dont forget we are 2nd on the ledder so we are doing sumthing right sumwhere.... FFS

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    For those who suggest we need a change of coach or need to drop some of our best players in the coming weeks need to get real.

Quite simply, the team we have is good enough to win the competition.
    The problem is our game plan. When an opposing team counters our natural game, we seem to have a shortage of other ideas. This seems to be particularly obvious when a team lies on the tackled player and slows play down and then rushes our offence.

On these occasions they need to kick early in the count. Concentrate on getting field position and forget about trying to score on every run. A little patience wouldn't go astray.
    Im 100% with u on all this.. I think they are trying way to much on every run and thats way the mistakes are comming from aswell

Another ordinary performance.

Mistakes at critical times were costly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    If u look at his post he not going on nd on nd on about how much the titans suck like u do every freaking week... Yes we all know we need sum work on a few things and yes i also think we need to drop afew players for them to wake up to them selfs....

But dude have sum faith in the club u spose to follow every club in the comp is have a prob of the same thing in one way or another.. Cause at the moment all u sound like is a fan from another club comming on here to bag the crap out of us...... And Dont forget we are 2nd on the ledder so we are doing sumthing right sumwhere.... FFS

Im 100% with u on all this.. I think they are trying way to much on every run and thats way the mistakes are comming from aswell
    ok mate but you cant just say that your happy that we are tied for 2nd and we never need to change the team, as a fan your ment to get angry about how bad your team goes one day or how good the next, i pretty much concvede to myself that the opposition will score when they are in our end because our online defense is shocking, we need improvements on:

tackling
    discipline
    when to pass(not force a bad pass)
    when to offload
    building a decent set piece.
    and bring back tomane,rogers,cannings, o dwyer and thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    ok mate but you cant just say that your happy that we are tied for 2nd and we never need to change the team, as a fan your ment to get angry about how bad your team goes one day or how good the next, i pretty much concvede to myself that the opposition will score when they are in our end because our online defense is shocking, we need improvements on:

tackling
    discipline
    when to pass(not force a bad pass)
    when to offload
    building a decent set piece.
    and bring back tomane,rogers,cannings, o dwyer and thompson.
    Yeah we do need things to change in afew areas and like i said a few of those top players need to be sat out for a week... defrence is one thing we need to fix 100%...

Yes i wasnt happy but im not going to come on here nd bag the crap out of the team

i think we miss tomanes impact running and rogers bit of flair,the 2 centres we had last night were workman like but not likely to excite!!!

oh yes also is zillman EVER going to have an impact from fullback??compared to the slaters/hayne/carneys etc hes showed us nothing for a looooooooooooong time.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post
    oh yes also is zillman EVER going to have an impact from fullback??compared to the slaters/hayne/carneys etc hes showed us nothing for a looooooooooooong time.
    have to kind of agree, i think bodene thompson should come on to the bench for zillman and if one of our team gets injured tagatese can come back in for fb/wing/centre/second row..

I don't know if it is possible to pick this up on TV or sitting behind the posts but the biggest problem I could see was the failure of our defensive line to push up and pressure the Roosters.

Coaches refer to it as line speed. We had none. Rather than push up as a unit and COMPETE without the ball we sat back and allowed the Roosters to complete their plays and hoped to make a tackle once they reached us. It is the exact problem that has plagued the Broncos and Tigers at various stages and both of these teams managed to overcome the difficulties in short order.

We have our third and fourth choice centres out there at the moment. In a perfect world Graham and Toopi would not get a look into our side. If Tonga can get himself right he will stroll back into this side with Rogers as both players bring defensive steel that the other players we have put out there can't muster. Toopi can defend but he is slow with the ball.

And I agree with the comments about our backrowers. Mini has become a liability in attack and Boof was on the scene for BOTH of their soft barge over tries. I still haven't forgotten his one on one miss on Mateo in the final we lost against Parra last year - I wonder if he has. Time to harden up boof.

I agree with the comments on Zillman too - I have been saying it for 2 years. He has NEVER once stamped himself as a quality player since his arrival from Canberra. We are however, the only team in the comp that rotates our fullback so the question remains over wether or not he would improve with a decent crack.

Devastatingly bad night and it gets harder now with a trip to Canberra followed by a visit from the Sea Eagles.

I remember wen scotty was out zilly started every game and we were saying how good he was getting due to starting and playing the full 80mins and now he not getting that time on the feild and he not doing much...

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    I remember wen scotty was out zilly started every game and we were saying how good he was getting due to starting and playing the full 80mins and now he not getting that time on the feild and he not doing much...
    That's what I was getting at. I really don't want to make excuses for him but it is less than ideal bringing a fullback into the rotation.

Drop Mini and put Bird - who I neglected to mention was OUTSTANDING in a beaten side - to lock and leave Campbell up in the line. Time to get real!!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    That's what I was getting at. I really don't want to make excuses for him but it is less than ideal bringing a fullback into the rotation.

Drop Mini and put Bird - who I neglected to mention was OUTSTANDING in a beaten side - to lock and leave Campbell up in the line. Time to get real!!
    How good was that hit on Carney
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I just signed up a few minutes ago. Is there a live blog on the Titan site, for tonight's game? And if so, where can i find it?

pauljordan