Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

TAUFUA's TERRIFIC FORM

Newcastle Knights' Head Coach Rick Stone has been impressed with the recent form of Mark Taufua.

Taufua earnt the Players' Player award during the Knights' win over the Brisbane Broncos last Friday night.

"I think he has just changed a little bit in his belief.

"There is no doubt that Mark has always had it, he probably just played a little bit below his best in the first couple of weeks of the season."

In 2009 Taufua played in 24 of the team's 25 games, and on 92.2 per cent was second to Steve Simpson in most effective tackles for the side.

"Looking back on some of the things that he did last year probably just got a reaction from him and it definintely inspired him to play a little bit better.

"I thought he was terrific on Friday night that's for sure."

Mark Taufua has again been named at Lock for the Knights who will take on the Gold Coast Titans at 2pm this Sunday, Mothers' Day.

WEATHERWATCH's David Sercombe weather forecast for Sunday:

Sunday (game day) should be fine and sunny again with light E-NE winds. Given these onshore winds there will be a slim chance of a shower, but it should be a fantastic day temperature (around 22-23), wind and cloud wise for spectators at EAS, as well as the people running the show.

Source: http://www.newcastleknights.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Knights clash a 'danger' game: Harrison
    Adam Gardini

In-form Jetstar Gold Coast Titans lock Ashley Harrison rates Sunday's clash with Newcastle as a 'danger game' for the front-running Gold Coasters.

The second-placed Titans are searching for their first win against Newcastle at Energy Australia Stadium against a Knights outfit which scored an upset victory over Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium last weekend.

Watch Titans TV to hear today's interview with Queensland State of Origin forward Ashley Harrison.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Simpson anxious about early return BEN HORNE

Fearful of being plagued by his rib and sternum injury for the rest of the season, Newcastle veteran Steve Simpson is hesitant about returning in Sunday's NRL clash against the Gold Coast.

Simpson has been named in the second row after missing last week and round six with the problem, but a fitness test on Friday will determine whether he's fit enough to play this weekend.

The former NSW and Australian representative thought he had overcome the joint pain when he played against Cronulla in round seven, only to do further damage to the top of his sternum and miss the team's last-start win over Brisbane.

Advertisement: Story continues belowWhile hopeful the tightness will settle down before Sunday, Simpson is anxious about making the same mistake and coming back too early.

"It's one of those injuries where I probably could play the game but if it goes wrong I could be back at square one and behind the eight ball again," Simpson said.

"I had a week off against the Cowboys and obviously came back and played against Cronulla, and I was back to where I was if not worse.

"It's definitely feeling a lot better but there's still a little bit of soreness there and I certainly just don't want to go back to square one.

"I've still got another few days up my sleeve before we actually play so hopefully it'll settle down in time and I'll be 100 per cent."

Knights coach Rick Stone said it was important Simpson's injury was well managed before it developed into a long-term problem.

"It may be an ongoing concern, we don't want it to be," Stone said on the Knights' website.

"We've yet to decide whether Simpson will play this week, even though he has been named.

"He's got to get through some training, probably Friday will be his major test I would suggest.

"If he comes out without any problems he'll play, but if he has any concern whatsoever, Cameron Ciraldo will obviously be back into the side."

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

ryan..... we beat melbourne at home not away...
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    ryan..... we beat melbourne at home not away...
    Uhhh.... yep. True that.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I hear our boys who played City v Country last night went well.

Any reports? I haven't seen it. Didn't show it at a decent time here in Melbourn.

SMH: Round 9 - Newcastle Knights vs Gold Coast Titans Preview

Sunday, EnergyAustralia Stadium, 2.00pm
    Referees: Ben Cummins and Alan Shortall
    Head to head: Knights 3, Titans 2
    Last clash: Knights 23 bt Titans 18 at EnergyAustralia Stadium, rd 9, 2009
    TAB Sportsbet: Knights $1.80, Titans $2.00
    FootyTab: Titans +1.5

The Knights have won two of their last three games. They didn't beat great opposition - the Cowboys in Newcastle and the Broncos in Brisbane - but they showed plenty of character. It is a difficult year for the Knights, but they have a willingness to fight and they will appreciate the backing of their home crowd here. Hopefully, for them, their star player - Kurt Gidley - will not pick up an injury playing for Australia in the Test against New Zealand, and will be able to back up.
    The Titans are in clear second place on the competition table. They have won three of their last four games, including a 38-24 home success over the Panthers last weekend. That was an impressive performance, since the Titans were backing up just five days after beating the Sea Eagles in a tough game on the road. Instead of showing signs of tiredness, they ran away from the Panthers early in the second half. The Titans are well in this match, but the Knights, with their tough forward pack, look set to make it a real contest.
    KNIGHTS: Kurt Gidley (capt), Akuila Uate, Junior Sa'u, Keith Lulia, Cooper Vuna, Jarrod Mullen, Scott Dureau, Ben Cross, Isaac De Gois, Dan Tolar, Steve Simpson, Cory Paterson, Mark Taufua. Interchange: Matt Hilder, Zeb Taia, Evarn Tuimavave, Richie Fa'aoso, Cameron Ciraldo (one to be omitted).

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

Knights v Titans
    EnergyAustralia Stadium
    Sunday 2pm

Have the Knights revived their season with a come-from-behind win over Brisbane, or did they just get some last-moment gasps of air into an ailing body?

This weekend’s match-up with a high-flying Titans will give us a better indication of their progress, despite the fact a handful of players will be trying to back up less than 48 hours after representative football.

Newcastle’s win over the Broncos in Round 8 pushed them up to 11th spot on the NRL ladder, just one win away from the top eight and back in striking range of the top sides.

But the precarious nature of their position is magnified when you realise a loss here will guarantee a drop of at least one rung on the ladder – and could see them drop all the way down to 15th (effectively last of the teams in contention), although to get that low it would take a very big hammering.

A loss would also ensure the side was back to two wins off the pace, and chasing the pack won’t be any easier the longer this season progresses.

In the only change from last week, the home side welcomes Steve Simpson back for this crucial encounter, which pushes Zeb Taia to the bench.

Taia, Kurt Gidley and Junior Sa’u need to come through Friday night’s Test match before they can don the red and blue.

Meanwhile, the Titans well and truly held their own in the period without Scott Prince and after having him back last week for the win over Penrith, they look very solid sitting alone in second place.

While they handed the Panthers a lesson last week, they will be usurped by the Penrith boys on the ladder if they lose this match and could actually drop as low as fifth.

This fact, and the burning desire to capture their first win in Newcastle after two heartbreaking losses previously, has the Titans primed.

The only change from last week sees Brad Meyers slated to start for Michael Henderson, although it’s worth noting Greg Bird, Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello all need to get through Friday night’s City-Country clash.

Watch out Knights: Titans halfback and captain Scott Prince will be out for a massive performance after being overlooked for the Australian team in favour of Cooper Cronk.

With Johnathan Thurston’s shoulders looking dodgier by the minute, Prince will be out to show Queensland selectors he is worthy of the Maroon jersey this season. Cronk has the edge of playing with Billy Slater and Cameron Smith, the Maroons’ fullback and hooker, at club level. Prince, just back from injury last week, is averaging 505 kick metres a game this season from his four performances, has one line-break, three line-break assists, four try assists and two tries. Look for the former Clive Churchill Medal winner to run the show and push his side towards victory.

Watch out Titans: The Knights’ kicking game is significantly more accurate than the visiting Titans and it could be the difference in this match if the Knights follow it up with a committed kick chase.

Their 65.1 per cent kick accuracy is the third best in the NRL and allows time for chasers to form a line of defence and cut down kick-return metres.

If the Knights can dominate the first few tackles in the set, they will go a long way to limiting the Titans’ attack. The Titans rank 13th in the league for smart clearances, with just 52.7 per cent of their kicks finding space.

Where it will be won: This match will go to the side prepared to play the full 80 minutes; if form in this regard is anything to go by, the Titans have a significant edge.

The side has proven it can hang in a match, even when being dominated, and then come home with a flourish (see Round 7 v Manly). They ride the momentum in games with aplomb and often come out on top.

On the other hand, the Knights have too many major troughs in their performances. They allowed the Broncos to roar over the top of them mid-match last week and had it been a less-brittle opponent, may not have been able to come back to win.

If they allow three or four back-to-back tries against the Titans, they will not win here. It’s obvious the Knights can’t stay up for the full 80, but they are good enough to limit the poor periods to less damage.

The history: Played 5; Knights 3, Titans 2. Last season these two teams split their results, with the competition points going to the home side on each occasion.

In fact, the Titans are yet to win at EnergyAustralia Stadium, losing their previous two matches at the venue in the dying minutes. In 2008 they lost by a single point, while last season a late try saw them fall by just five points. *

Conclusion: Assuming their rep players back up, the Titans look like they should grab their first win in Newcastle.

The Knights have less depth and if their rep guys are at all jaded it will make things extremely difficult.

But if you are looking for an upset, perhaps this is the game. On both previous occasions the two sides met at this venue, the Titans were expected to win, only to be pipped at the post… perhaps it is on the cards again?

Match officials: Referees – Ben Cummins & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials – Daniel Eastwood & Ricky McFarlane; Video Ref – Tim Mander.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 2pm

Source: http://www.nrl.com

HARD man Mark Taufua said yesterday the Knights had to provide enough energy to carry their representative teammates through the inevitable tough times in the game against Gold Coast Titans at EnergyAustralia Stadium tomorrow.
    Captain Kurt Gidley came off the bench for Australia against New Zealand in Melbourne last night and centre Junior Sa'u and lock Zeb Taia turned out for the Kiwis.

Their status for the Titans game will be determined at medical checks when they return to Newcastle today.

Taufua emerged from a month-long funk to run 16 times for 154 metres in Newcastle's 30-22 victory over the Broncos in Brisbane last week, earning the players' player award for his efforts.

Coach Rick Stone said Taufua was outstanding against the Broncos and challenged the 28-year-old Samoan international and all the forwards to be equally enthusiastic tomorrow.

"We need that same sort of approach and the same sort of resilient traits when we're put under pressure and that's been our Achilles heel a little bit this year," Stone said.

Taufua was pleased with the nod from his teammates but said he had to play with the same intensity every week.

"I felt like my performances before that were below par," he said.

"I had a good talk with Stoney, just about how I was going last year, and I really wanted to aim up against the Broncs, especially after that Cronulla game when we just didn't turn up to play.

"I just think I was a bit flat and not getting as involved as much as I'd like to and be effective when I was getting involved, so hopefully last week was the first stepping stone to better games.

"Those guys in the rep teams will be backing up for their second game in two days, so there's a big onus on our pack to set the platform . . . The Titans are coming second and they've got a lot of strike weapons across the field, so we've got to be really tight in the forwards and try to control the game there."

Stone said Gold Coast's three rep players, back-rowers Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Minichiello and utility Greg Bird, might feel the pinch if forced to play significant minutes tomorrow.

Source: http://www.theherald.com.au

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I so want carty to fix mead nd tomane side asap

what a win looked down and out half way through the 2nd half!
    Away form has been much better this year and now we go =top with the Dragons! Greg Bird had a ripper

GO YOU TITANS!!!
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Banned

ok we can attack now terrific, but now our defense has gone to rubble 36 points conceded this week, 24 last week, and tomane keeps getting palmed off, gillmeister needs some serious work done, but kudos to cartwright on our attack.

Kudos to Cartwright?? He's the reason we were so awful in defence if you ask me. Totally reshuffled the starting pack which meant the rotations that have worked for us all year were all over the shop. Mini and Boof might have been tired but they still should have started so that we could have stuck with the tried and true rotations off the bench that have been so succesful.

Great 2 points though and with the Dragons getting rolled we go equal top and now the top 4 has a little gap on the rest, although it will be a top 5 if the Roosters do the job.

Bird was the difference.

Preston was sensational.

Prince reminded us how awesome he can be with that bullet pass before half time that got us right back in and the little pop right after to put Mini after.

Tomane still can't tackle and Mead is getting stuck on a limb dealing with his ineffective work inside.

Toopi is exceeding my expectations of him and should hopefully hold his spot when Rogers returns and send Tomane to the Q Cup.

Can't say enough about Bull - get that letter sent in buddy, we can't afford to lose you to Origin!!

And how about Brisbane?!?!?!? Sets the Derby up as an absolute cracker and should ensure another 10,000 fans through the gate as that win should get the Brisbane pretty excited - and rightfully so. Can't wait!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Kudos to Cartwright?? He's the reason we were so awful in defence if you ask me. Totally reshuffled the starting pack which meant the rotations that have worked for us all year were all over the shop. Mini and Boof might have been tired but they still should have started so that we could have stuck with the tried and true rotations off the bench that have been so succesful.

Great 2 points though and with the Dragons getting rolled we go equal top and now the top 4 has a little gap on the rest, although it will be a top 5 if the Roosters do the job.

Bird was the difference.

Preston was sensational.

Prince reminded us how awesome he can be with that bullet pass before half time that got us right back in and the little pop right after to put Mini after.

Tomane still can't tackle and Mead is getting stuck on a limb dealing with his ineffective work inside.

Toopi is exceeding my expectations of him and should hopefully hold his spot when Rogers returns and send Tomane to the Q Cup.

Can't say enough about Bull - get that letter sent in buddy, we can't afford to lose you to Origin!!

And how about Brisbane?!?!?!? Sets the Derby up as an absolute cracker and should ensure another 10,000 fans through the gate as that win should get the Brisbane pretty excited - and rightfully so. Can't wait!!
    i dont know what they are gonna do about tomane but toopi deserves a N.Z recall, terrific in defense and 3 tries in 3 games

toopi has been going good? but didnt u see his miss for the knights 1st try? shot up and ran past his player... who scored inside him...