Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Round 9: Newcastle Knights vs Gold Coast Titans

Newcastle Knights vs Gold Coast Titans
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Super important game. 2 points here will be MASSIVE with Penrith guaranteed 2 points courtesy of the bye and Manly (the other team on 10 points) with a tough game up against the Dragons.

We can put a gap in both these teams in the next 3 weeks.

Titans young guns on standby

YOUNG Titans forwards Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson will today be named as cover for the club's representative players against the Knights in Newcastle on Sunday.

NSW Country representatives Anthony Laffranchi and Greg Bird and City backrower Mark Minichiello face the prospect of backing up less than 48 hours after Friday's annual Origin selection trial in Port Macquarie.

As a precaution, 22-year-old Matthews and 21-year-old Thompson are expected to travel as part of a 19-man squad when the Titans fly out of the Gold Coast on Saturday.

Titans football manager Scott Clark said the Coast was in a better position than Newcastle, who have three players on Test duty in Melbourne.

Knights captain Kurt Gidley has been named in the Australian side, while Junior Sau and Zeb Taia are in the Kiwis team.

While there has been some criticism of the scheduling, Clark said the Titans were largely unfazed by the demands of a quick turnaround.

"That is the good thing about the position we are in," said Clark. "Our players are only a few hours away.

"It means they can have a good sleep in on Saturday morning and we have still got time to check them out and make a decision whether they are fit to play."

Aggressive prop Thompson was a standout at the start of the season but has not been sighted in the NRL since being suspended in Round 3.

Matthews has played four NRL games in 2010, in between 18th man duties.

The Titans are yet to taste victory in Newcastle but after recently smashing their Brookvale Oval hoodoo and with the inconsistent Knights sitting 11th on the ladder, they should head into the clash at EnergyAustralia Stadium with confidence.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

We all remember the heart break of losing in the last play last year against the Knights with a no try decision... Hopefully this year we can avenge it.

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans team to play Newcastle

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are away to Newcastle this weekend and with a three players backing up from Friday Nights City / Country match the Coaching Staff have placed a number of players on stand by as they prepare to play the Knights.

With John Cartwright away in Camp with the City team, assistant coach Steve Murphy has reigns of the squad for this week with the following players named to represent the Gold Coast.

To watch the team announcement click on the link below,

http://www.titans.com.au/default.asp...ns-tv&vid=4207

Source: Titans

Gold Coast Titans: Gold Coast Titans: Preston Campbell, Kevin Gordon, Clinton Toopi, Joseph Tomane, David Mead, Greg Bird, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison.

Interchange: Matt White, Michael Henderson, Sam Tagataese, William Zillman.

Bo Thompson was outstanding in his first few games this season and I hope he can get in the top 17 again soon. Not sure who he would replace but his aggressive running and impact in defense was making asolid contribution off the bench. The competition for spots is cut-throat and Thompson would certainly not be out of place in any top 17 in the league. He's better than Matthews at the moment and is fighting for a spot with white and tagataese. There are a few more coming back soon too, with O'Dwyer and cannings going to push for a place. If bird is shifted into the pack more regularly it will limit the rotations and opportunities for our forwards. Impact off the bench has been a problem in the past few seasons, it's not anymore.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

With Cannings and O'Dwyer coming back with Thompson back from suspension, there is some impressive depth and pressure for spots coming.

If Chalky can return to form, I'd have him in my 17 any day. Cannings still has further gears to push up into. And I'm a big fan of Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    With Cannings and O'Dwyer coming back with Thompson back from suspension, there is some impressive depth and pressure for spots coming.

If Chalky can return to form, I'd have him in my 17 any day. Cannings still has further gears to push up into. And I'm a big fan of Thompson.
    I look forward to both Chalky & the Truck Cannings returning very soon & with Thompsons form earlier on i think he plays a lot like Minni... but Bodene has better hands so i wouldn't be surprised if we see changes later in the year if things don't improve

It's a Great problem to have for Carty
    #itaintweaktospeak

I think Hendo has the problem with keeping the ball in his hands.....but mini needs to watch his penalty count. Although he seems better this season so far.

I am also a fan of thompson and would pretty much be our form front rower at the moment. He is playing out of his skin....

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Depth key for Titans

Gold Coast's squad depth is shaping up to be a likely ally according to Titans assistant coach Steve Murphy with a potentially dangerous trip to Newcastle scheduled just 48 hours after the NSW City v Country match.

Fresh from an eight-day turnaround the Knights loom as a dangerous task for Gold Coast after a spirited comeback last week against the Broncos earned them just their third win of the season.

And with three Gold Coast stars out to impress in Friday night's annual Origin selection match in Port Macquarie, fit bodies will be at a premium for the away side as muscle fatigue begins to set in.

Mark Minichiello alongside brother Anthony will take up arms for the City team, while a resurgent Greg Bird and hard-hitting Anthony Laffranchi will don the Country jersey.

Murphy said it will be extremely tough for all three players to recover in time for the match and declared the club wouldn't be taking any risks should they pull up sore.

"All the health professionals will tell you it's a lot harder to play 48 hours after than 24, so we'll manage them and won't take any risks with any of those guys," Murphy admitted after Wednesday's training session.

"Riley Brown, Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson … all those guys are ready and willing to go should something happen so we're in a healthy position at the moment and hopefully it continues."

Also impressed with former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi's recent run of form - which included a try against the Panthers on the weekend, Murphy said the journeyman could give the Titans an edge when they take on the Knights' strong forward pack.

"He performed incredibly well I thought on Jamie Lyon in the first week and he backed it up again with a great performance last week," he said.

"If he continues to improve at the rate he is then we'll have another good player on our hands."

Filling in for head coach John Cartwright while he oversees City's preparations, Murphy recognised that playing Newcastle on the road will be a whole different ball game for the Titans with little success coming at Energy Australia Stadium over the years.
    "Playing away is a different proposition than at home, we've had very limited success there if at all," he said.

"We lost a close game there last year and I'm sure the boys will know they have to perform to get them this week."

Just seconds away from a victory in Round 9 last year, the Titans were left fuming after a controversial refereeing decision turned down William Zillman's try because of a dummy-half infringement by skipper Scott Prince.

http://sportal.com.au/l

- Newcastle has won three of their past four games against the Gold Coast Titans.

- The Titans have beaten Souths and Manly away from home this season.

- The Knights have won 15 of their past 19 games at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

- The Titans have won after trialing at half time three times this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    - Newcastle has won three of their past four games against the Gold Coast Titans.

- The Titans have beaten Souths, Manly and Melbourne away from home this season.

- The Knights have won 15 of their past 19 games at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

- The Titans have won after trialing at half time three times this season.
    Don't forget that one
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I'd be more confident if we didn't have players backing up from Friday night. Still, I think we should be able to get the job done against the Knights, they've been fairly ordinary over recent weeks.

White eager for return to Newcastle
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Matt White is aiming to make the most of his return to Newcastle when he clashes with his former Knights teammates at Energy Australia Stadium on Sunday.

The 25-year-old prop began his first grade career with the Knights, debuting for the club almost five years ago to the day against Melbourne at Olympic Park.

Despite spending four years at the Knights, the Inverell Hawks junior was unable to hit his straps as a regular NRL player until he was given an opportunity with the Jetstar Titans in the pre-season of 2009.

Since then, White hasn't looked back - featuring in 27 of a possible 34 matches for the Jetstar Titans at a time when the club has also established itself as NRL finalists.

"I'm looking forward to coming up against the boys again,'' said White.

"I got to play them up here in Round 1 last year but didn't get to play down there because I was out suspended so I'm looking forward to playing against them again.

"It's always good coming up against old teammates.

"It'll be a good tussle, they've got a good forward pack with Ben Cross, Richie Fa’aoso and Dan Tolar so it'll be a good game.

"Down there I was in and out of first grade and played a lot of reserve grade.

"It's been good up here, I've got a crack at first grade and I'm just trying to play consistent footy.''

Following strong wins against top-four heavyweights Manly and Penrith, the Jetstar Titans are looking to keep their momentum going as they search for their first win on Newcastle's home turf.

The corresponding match last year saw the Jetstar Titans denied a last-minute victory when a late try to fullback William Zillman was disallowed as the Gold Coasters were forced to return home with a 23-18 loss.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au