Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Weeksy View Post
    I've been a Panthers fan since i started followin rugby league in 1985 at the age of 4, growing up on the Central Coast NSW we never had a team in the NSWRL competition, and as my Mum and Dad were both from the Blacktown and St Mary's I followed the same team my Dad played with and followed.

I moved up here to the Gold Coast in 2006 and became a Titans season ticketholder for their inaugural year and have been a Gold member ever since, I love rugby Leage and although I'll always a Panthers fan #1, I can't go and see them play every week, but I can see the Titans every home game.

If Prince plays and I really hope that he does it's going to be one hell of a game. 2 form teams playing for keeps, it's really going to be a hard decision who to take in the tipping comps as well as deciding which jersey to wear to the game.

In my honest opinion - this is definately Game of the Round!!

If you're not at the game, definately get to a pub/club or someones place with Fox Sports or you'll regret it
    It's about time you got on here and said something Weeksy...

...oh. and don't wear the jersey I think u r gunna wear.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

GOLD Coast forward Anthony Laffranchi will be available for Saturday's NRL clash with in-form Penrith after entering the early guilty plea to a high tackle charge.

The former Test forward was charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Manly's Matt Ballin in the Titans' 24-22 win at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

Melbourne's Brett White took an early guilty plea and escaped punishment on a dangerous contact with head and neck charge, but will miss this weekend's clash with the North Queensland Cowboys after taking the early guilty plea on a grade one striking charge
    dailytele

can you PLEASE include the link from where the story comes from... thank you
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

i started typing dailytelegraph dude but the cursor stopped when my computer froze...im trying

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post
    i started typing dailytelegraph dude but the cursor stopped when my computer froze...im trying
    Just copy nd paste the www adress

Banned

good news, i dare say laffaranchi is the form backrower of the comp, then i would say gallen, and stewart has been very good too

Yea just type it Greg that's what I do. Thanks for posting the news though. Don't let itdeter you.

I usually go something like this.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

I'm going to buy a few more Legion tickets. Make sure you get out Tothe game.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

with taking the early plea... lets hope he doesnt fall fowl to another charge later in the season... would to lose boof coming into september
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Sorry I've been a bitout of action lately. (I am shooting a short film) But i'm now back on deck and ready to smash the Panthers

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    with taking the early plea... lets hope he doesnt fall fowl to another charge later in the season... would to lose boof coming into september
    Good point Davey. It could come back tobite us. And whent hurts.

But for now we live to fight another day. Boof has been one of our beat recently

Gold Coast Titans halfback Scott Prince no-show threatens comeback

SCOTT Prince's chances of an early comeback from thumb surgery faded when he failed to train with the Gold Coast Titans ahead of their showdown with an equally in-form Penrith at Skilled Park on Saturday.

Prince, who had a pin removed from his broken thumb on Tuesday, will have to train with the side on Friday morning to have any hope of playing.

The Titans had a solid session at Robina on the Gold Coast but Prince, the subject of speculation of an early comeback against the Panthers, did not run with the side.

He is still a chance to play given the pin was removed on Tuesday and there appeared to be no complications.

Prince suffered the hand injury against Canberra when he was the centre of salary cap allegations involving a free house, which has since been dismissed following an NRL investigation.

He was expected to be sidelined for six weeks with a return pencilled in for the round nine clash with Newcastle.

Given they have beaten both Melbourne and Manly in two of their four games without Prince they are not desperate to rush him back if the risk of re-injuring the thumb is too great.

Preston Campbell, who has done an outstanding job filling in at No.7, said this week he couldn't wait for his skipper to get back on the park.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl

Titans v Panthers Preview
    Saturday, 5:30pm (AEST) - Skilled Park

It?s a clash of the titans (literally) this week as the second-placed Panthers make their second ever visit to Skilled Park to battle with third-placed Gold Coast.

Both teams sit just under the table-topping Dragons on 10 points, slightly ahead of the rest of the competition, making this blockbuster bigger than the Titanic.

The Titans ? who are likely to have skipper Scott Prince return to steer the ship this week (even though he?s not named) ? were impressive last Monday night at ?Fortress Brookvale?, withstanding a dominant Manly outfit 24-22. It came just two weeks after their 20-16 dismantling of the Storm in their previous game at home.

Former Penrith premiership winner Preston Campbell was his typical brave self, scoring a try, setting up another, and making five tackle busts and two line-breaks for the Titans last Monday night.

Second-rower Anthony Laffranchi (138 metres, 41 tackles) and Greg Bird (124 metres) were also outstanding against the Sea Eagles.

The Panthers, on the other hand, have clawed their way to second place on the back of a four-game winning streak, which included a stirring 26-18 triumph over the Wests Tigers last Saturday. Coach Matt Elliott seems to have instilled a new-found grit in his team this year, with his unit seemingly never out of any game so far in 2010.

Enigmatic second-rower Frank Pritchard (114 metres, two tackles breaks, a line-break and a try assist) showed glimpses of his devastating best, but it was the regular contributors ? Petero Civoniceva (137 metres) and Lachlan Coote (two tries, 152 metres and six tackle-breaks) ? who ensured Penrith enter this week with some of the hottest form in the competition.

Other than Nigel Plum (knee) and David Simmons (shoulder), Penrith are at a full strength, while Mat Rogers is still out for Gold Coast.

Watch out Titans: If it ain?t broke, don?t fix it! Even more so when stats show that the Titans have defused just 30 per cent of bombs this year.

Since that?s the case, William Zilllman and Preston Campbell are in for a torrid night from the man who seems to have the golden boot this year. Luke Walsh has tallied an amazing 13 try assists this year (1st in the NRL), with the majority of them contributing to Penrith?s 16 kicks from tries (1st in the NRL). Lachlan Coote (seven tries), Adrian Purtell (five) and Luke Lewis (four) will no doubt be putting plenty of pressure on whoever plays at fullback.

Watch out Panthers: NSW hopeful Greg Bird is starting to warm into his role on the Sunshine strip. After a slow start to the year, the 26-year-old is relishing his role at five-eighth, racking up a healthy 116 metres a game, and a league-leading 18 offloads so far this year.

While the probable return of Scott Prince should ring alarm bells for the visiting team, it?s his partner-in-crime who will prove a handful no matter where he runs the ball.

Where it will be won: For all the attacking prowess that?ll take the field on Saturday evening, the Titans and Panthers rank equal 14th in the number of line-breaks made this year. Whoever can make the most of their opportunities when they shift the ball could well be the team that comes out on top.

The history: Played 3; Panthers 2, Titans 1. An average 53 points have been scored in their clashes since Gold Coast?s inception in 2007, which means this will probably be a high-scoring affair.

The inaugural and only clash at Skilled Park was the only time the Titans tasted victory against the Panthers, with Matt Elliott?s men taking out the past two ? including a 34-20 win at CUA Stadium last year.

Conclusion: The return of Scott Prince would provide a massive boost to the home side, which will be buoyed by their fighting win against the Sea Eagles last week.

Coach Cartwright told NRL.com after the manly win that he expected Prince to play, so weigh that up.

But they?ll be facing another confident team in the Panthers, who are looking unbeatable in the air. It?s a toss of the coin really, but the timely return of the Titans skipper would give them the ?heads up?. Titans by 2.

Match officials: Referees ? Jared Maxwell & Bernard Sutton; Sideline officials ? Paul Holland & Grant Atkins; Video Referee ? Tim Mander

Televised: Fox Sports ? Delayed 7:30pm (AEST).

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 29-04-10 at 04:05 AM.

Titans more than satisfied to clip Eagles

JOHN Cartwright no longer ranks the Titans victories -- but he admits leaving Brookvale Oval with the two points was 'more than satisfying'.

Returning to the scene of last year's humiliating 38-4 loss a week before the 2009 finals, the Titans broke through for their fifth win of the year on Monday night to sit equal with this weekend's opponent Penrith, one win behind St George Illawarra.

"We spoke a little bit about it through the week that we haven't had a win down there in four years and that last time we went there we got a bit of a touch-up, so it helped us a little bit," said Cartwright.

"That (Round 26 loss) was mentioned. It wasn't a good way to go into semi-final football and impacted on us pretty heavily.

"So it was nice to go out and get some revenge."

Given little chance by some pundits to deliver without injured skipper Scott Prince, the Titans have gone a long way to silencing the doubters.

In four matches without Prince at the helm, the Titans may have fallen to the Cowboys and the ladder-leading Dragons but they also stamped their premiership credentials with gritty victories over the Storm and Manly.

"They are tough sides (Melbourne and Manly) to beat, they have been the premiers over the last three years," said Cartwright.

"I cherish every win, they are too hard to get and everyone you get, you celebrate it like it's your first."

The next challenge for Cartwright will be getting his troops over the line against Penrith, the side he helped guide to a premiership in 1991 as a player.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

`Leaky right-side defence not a concern'

TITANS coach John Cartwright says his leaky right side defence is not a major concern despite rival teams repeatedly exposing it as the Gold Coast's greatest weakness.

The Sea Eagles were the latest side to target the young outside back pairing of Joseph Tomane and David Mead on Monday night and the Panthers look certain to do the same when they travel to Skilled Park on Saturday.

According to NRLStats.com the Titans have conceded 10 tries on their right edge so far this season, almost double the amount on the left (6) and up the middle (6) combined.

``We are in the top three or four defensive sides in the competition and you very rarely keep a side to nil so they have got to score points somewhere,'' said Cartwright.

``We have got a bit of inexperience on that side of the field and 95 per cent of the time they get it right.

``There are issues we will continue to work on but nothing I am too worried about.

''While young Tomane has been devastating in attack, he still has much to work on in defence.

The Melbourne Storm recruit has missed 34 tackles so far this season, the fourth worst in the competition behind Souths hooker Issac Luke (40), Warriors halfback James Maloney (40) and Bulldogs playmaker Brett Kimmorley (37).

Tomane was taken from the field in the 35th minute of the Titans clash against the Sea Eagles after a couple of early lapses and replaced by Jordan Atkins.

But Cartwright yesterday said he was committed to playing the 20-year-old rising star in the centres.

``I just thought his confidence was down a bit and gave him a spell on the sideline so he could have a good think about his game,'' said Cartwright.

``It freshened him up.

``He was always going to go back on and when he went back on I thought the tide of the game turned.

``The best thing about it was he responded in the right way. Cartwright said he had a discussion with the centre at half time of the clash.

``I had a talk to him at half time and told him to keep his head up and when he gets back out there to make a difference for the team and he did.''

'Cartwright admittted his right edge should be prepared for another barrage against Penrith on Saturday night.

``A higher percentage of plays go down that side of the field because that is where we have leaked,'' he said. ``So they have to do more work and make more decisions.

``You only have to get one wrong and they score.''

Prince had secret training run

TITANS skipper Scott Prince had a secret training run at Pizzey Park yesterday to trial a new custom-made thumb guard in a further sign he is determined to play against the Panthers.

While speculation was rife that Prince has suffered a further setback after failing to train with the main squad in the morning at Robina.

The Gold Coast Bulletin can reveal he was absent because he was getting the guard made. Prince, who wears a similar protective guard on his arm after suffering a bad break in 2008, tested his thumb under the guidance of team physio Scott Thornton at the Burleigh Bears' home ground at Miami.

Despite reporting some stiffness and soreness in his thumb, Prince managed to complete a number of passing and catching drills.

How he performs at the Titans final training run tomorrow will ultimately decide whether he plays. ``We will be guided by his position and whether he can get through training,'' said Gold Coast coach John Cartwright.

``We have got a pretty short week this week so we won't know up until the day before the game.

``He will have to have a run before we can let him play. We definitely won't be risking him.

''The classy halfback had pins removed from his broken thumb on Tuesday and despite doctors advising him to wait another week, is determined to play. Prince suffered the injury against Canberra in Round 3.

The Titans have won two from four in their captain's absence, claiming the scalps of heavyweights Melbourne and Manly.

Meanwhile back rower Anthony Laffranchi and stand-in skipper Luke Bailey also failed to train yesterday morning, but Cartwright said both would play.

Laffranchi will be available for Saturday's clash with Penrith after taking an early guilty plea for a grade one careless high tackle on Sea Eagles hooker Matt Ballin in the Titans' 24-22 win at Brookvale Oval on Monday night.

``It is only 48 hours since we played and some guys need a bit longer to recover than others,'' said Cartwright.