Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by meter maid View Post
    Ok, I just went on the nrl site and answered my own question. NO. my poor Eels won't be recorded as last years premiers. Well, that stinks!
    Yeah, when I heard the news they'd been stripped of last years premiership I said Yay we win!!
    I guess not. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    This is crazy...how can they play the rest of the season without incentive to win games.
    Do they get match payments?
    That's my question. To me the answer seems obvious, the players for this year get paid what's officially on the books, not the secret books and this season is still alive for them and fans.
    Maybe not that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by eelectrica View Post
    That's my question. To me the answer seems obvious, the players for this year get paid what's officially on the books, not the secret books and this season is still alive for them and fans.
    Maybe not that simple?
    My way of thinking is the players are not aware of any breach and in their own eyes their contract says they get 'X' amount of dollars and Storm need to honour it. That is why they will collect no points this season so contracts can be paid in full..

.......and surely News Limited can do their sums and work out that more money was going out of the Storm (to players) then was coming in...

Even if the Storm were forced to cut $700k of playing staff, the players are left with no club for this year.

I can't help but think a number of players did know about it. They'd probably have a fair idea what each other are earning.

Junior Titan

The script for underbelly 4 has been laid down....

Although I'm not a fan of the storm, I'm gutted for rugby league and totally stunned by the news. Sadly after the bulldogs and the warriors you would have though clubs would of learnt. However the NRL do need to review the whole salary cap thing otherwise it will just lead to top players heading off to England.

Another year, another scandal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior00 View Post
    The script for underbelly 4 has been laid down....

Although I'm not a fan of the storm, I'm gutted for rugby league and totally stunned by the news. Sadly after the bulldogs and the warriors you would have though clubs would of learnt. However the NRL do need to review the whole salary cap thing otherwise it will just lead to top players heading off to England.

Another year, another scandal
    all this years good work off the field is undone by this, anyone else think its a little bit fishy that brian waldron walked out on the storm before the ship sunk?

I have only just heard about this as I go home...

All I can say is there is no way the Storm can recover from this, in my eyes Rugby League in Victoria aswell.

As Coaster said, I'm gutted aswell - sad day a Rugby League supporter.

Time to bring in the Western Reds.

I'm so disgusted and disillusioned right now. Why does rugby league have to keep getting dragged through the mud like this?
    I feel so sorry for all the Storm fans.
    And to the Storm hierarchy :
    ENJOY THAT WOODEN SPOON YOU CHEATING SCUM

Junior Titan

just as a comparison............
    when an olympic medal winner is stripped of their medal for any reason (usually drugs) that placing is awarded to the runner up.

going on this scenario.......parra came second! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    GIVE PARRA (and manly) THE PREMIERSHIP.

i am still in shock... as a great lover of the game this just puts my heart in my mouth...

i feel for all fans of rugby league and especially the storm fans..

havnt the strom been losing money each season for a while now.. maybe this is the reason. a gutted that we have already played them coz am sure the legion and the rest of skilled park would have an absolute field day...

might try and get to one of their games just for fun...

and like others have said "saddest day in league"
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Banned

when an olympic medal winner is stripped of their medal for any reason (usually drugs) that placing is awarded to the runner up.

you forget about teams thaty mayh have missed out on the top 8 because of the cheating storm and teams knocked out in the finals because of the storm, everyone has a claim against the storm, remember in 08 when they had 11 origin players out against us? no one thought how could they afford all that talent at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    this is without a doubt the saddest day in Rugby League since the super league war..... im not a huge fan of the storm (full of qldrs) but i loved what the club was doing for Rugby League in Victoria/Melbourne

2000 - Brisbane Broncos
    2001 - Newcastle Knighs
    2002 - Sydney Rooster
    2003 - Penrith Panthers
    2004 - Canterbury Bulldogs
    2005 - Wests Tigers
    2006 - Brisbane Broncos
    2007 - VOID
    2008 - Manly Sea Eagles
    2009 - VOID
    2010 - Gold Coast Titans

In future years this is what people will see and its not a pretty sight (except for 2010, that looks nice like that)
    Very Nice....... Very Nice

Here's to 2015

does that same "olympic rule" work on team sports???

Parramatta (and manly 08) arent the only team the storm beat during the finals....... whos to know if parra would have beaten the other qualifying team?

basically too many what ifs...... and its just a scar the sport will have to carry for 100s of years to come.....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Row 1 seat 20 section 319 at Suncorp Stadium

That's a first past the post competition. The NRL is not. Sure Manly were beaten by a cheating team, but so were the Broncos in the Finals and whoever Melbourne eliminated before that. You simply couldn't award the Premiership to Manly anymore than you could award it to the Broncos.

Sad day for RL

Its exactly as Ryan has said......With Melbourne out of the top 8 in either it is impossible to tell who would have been in the Grand Final. Who knows.... It could have been a different range of play offs which could have had different results and Eels and Manly might not have even ended up in the Grand Final.

Dont know bout you .... but I certainly wouldnt be to thrilled with a premiership that wasnt won.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't see why they should be recorded as Premiers - They didn't win the grand final. Yes they were beaten by a cheating team, but so were other finals contenders not to mention 9th place. If Melbourne were disqualified back then, then Parra would have had to beat someone else - and whose to say they would have? Same goes for Manly 2yrs before.
    There would be too many unfair roll-on effects for simply handing over the Premiership to the next team.

Here's to 2015