Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Round 7: Manly Sea Eagles vs Gold Coast Titans

Manly Sea Eagles vs Gold Coast Titans
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Toopi eyes NRL comeback

Clinton Toopi faces an anxious wait before discovering whether an injury to Mat Rogers leads to the former Kiwis centre's return to the National Rugby League (NRL).

Toopi shapes as a potential replacement for dual international Rogers who hyper extended his left knee during the Gold Coast Titans' 20-point loss to St George Illawarra on Friday night.

The 29-year-old former New Zealand Warriors centurion has been confined to the second-tier Queensland Cup competition since the Titans signed him to a one-year incentive-based deal, reviving his rugby league career after a brief injury-plagued flirtation with union at Bay of Plenty in 2009.

Toopi was essentially trialling for Rogers position last night as the Titans' feeder club Burleigh Bears beat the Central Comets.

"I've had a couple of steady games here and there, I was happy after last night's game," Toopi said.

Jordan Aitkens, Toopi's centre partner with the Bears, the other option under consideration by Titans head coach John Cartwright for next Monday's trip to Manly. Cartwright names his line-up on Tuesday.

Toopi, who is behind Rogers and impressive Wellington-born rookie Joseph Tomane in the Titans' midfield pecking order, admitted it had been frustrating waiting in the wings.

"It's hard as a player to have to wait for somebody to get injured before you get a shot," he said.

"It's unfortunate for Mat but it opens the gate for myself and a couple of other players."

Toopi pronounced himself satisfied with an injury-free campaign in the Queensland Cup though he was yet to rediscover his try-scoring touch.

"I've been running the ball well and defensively I've been good, I just want to get on the scoreboard," he said.

Cartwright was hopeful Rogers, 34, would only miss "four to six weeks", presuming scans tomorrow confirm a medial ligament tear rather than a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament - a setback that could require season-ending reconstructive surgery.

Toopi made 119 appearances for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006 before joining former Kiwis coach Brian McClennan at English Super League club Leeds.

http://tvnz.co.nz/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

cmon toopi make us proud

It's a public holiday, so if you are in NSW head to the game or if you are on the Gold Coast, join us at the Titanium Bar.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Just to let all the titans fans know who are attending the Manly sea eagles vs Gold coast titans Game. I will be selling tickets for the relay for life cancer council fund.Win a signed 2010 Titans Home jersey. Tickets are $5 and the winner will be announced at the Gold coast titans vs penrith panthers game at skilled park.Dont have to be there to win it just buy a ticket and if you win we can post it to you.

Storm v Manly on MNF now. Check out the opposition for next week.

Toopi coming in for Rogers just seems logical to me... we need a old head in the backline to help the youngster build confidence.

Lift your game Toops, this is your opportunity!

Banned

we are screwed this week, i have a very bad feeling, sea eagles and dragons are the teams to beat.

I too can see a massive flogging coming the Titans way.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Not going to happen, they'll bounce back.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I dont see nothing comming but a good tough game... we can win anywhere wen we playing right so dont right the team off u support week b4 the game.......

I tip my team everyweek no matter who we are going to play cause its our belief that gets our boys over the line sum times....

Toopi to make NRL return against Manly
    Adam Gardini
    20/04/2010 2:05:32 PM

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans centre Clinton Toopi will make his anticipated return to the NRL after being named in a new-look Titans line-up for Monday night's clash against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Four years since last playing in the NRL for the New Zealand Warriors, Toopi has been named to return to top flight rugby league for the Jestar Titans in the absence of injured centre Mat Rogers.

Rogers has been ruled out for between 8-12 weeks with a medial ligament tear in his left knee.

The promotion comes as just reward for Toopi, who joined the Jetstar Titans initially on a trial basis during the pre-season after a stint with Leeds in the UK Super League and rugby union in New Zealand.

The experienced centre played 129 NRL games for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006.

"It's been a bit of a nervous two days, a lot of friends and family have been texting me saying 'are you in' and I didn't really have an answer,'' said Toopi.

"It means so much - there's been a lot of doubt over my time since last year and since I got here it's been a bit of a tough road with injury after injury but to sort of come over that hump and now I'm lining up against Manly - one of the benchmark teams that have a class side and you've just got to be on your game for them.

"It still hasn't fully sunk in yet to be totally honest with you. I guess I've still got to perform, that's the main thing. I'm in the team now but as my wife said I've got to pull my finger out.

"I've been given an opportunity and the good thing about this club is they've got depth so in order for me to cement a spot I've got to be on my game.

"I've just got to really make the most of this opportunity and not let the club down or the people that have trusted me to do the job.''

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said it was pleasing to hand Toopi the good news after the former Kiwi international's hard road back to the NRL.

"It's not nice after a loss, the ensuing days, but it's always nice to give a bit of good news to someone,'' said Cartwright.

"To see all the hard work he's put in and a lot of time since his last NRL game and I suppose that was the thought process behind it - he'll go out there and give his best and that's all you can ask for.

"He's thrown everything he can into playing NRL again at close to 30 years of age and he gets a chance to impress on Monday.''

Titans v Manly
    Monday, April 26
    7pm, Brookvale Oval

1 William Zillman
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Clinton Toopi
    4 Joseph Tomane
    5 David Mead
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Preston Campbell
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Brad Meyers
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Matt White
    15 Michael Henderson
    16 Sam Tagataese
    17 Jordan Atkins
    18 Will Matthews.
    Coach: John Cartwright

Titans NYC v Manly NYC

1 Japeth Vaoa
    2 Guy Borgas
    3 Sione Aka’uola
    4 Stirling Siejka
    5 Lachlan Creighton
    6 Jordan Rankin
    7 Cody Walker
    8 Josh Coyle
    9 Matthew Srama
    10 Luke Page
    11 Dominic Walsh
    12 Kurt Foggo
    13 Steve Gillett
    Interchange
    14 Leon Taylor
    15 Jack Clark
    16 Sam Saville
    17 Rhys Jacks
    18 Matthew Hundy
    19 Chris Bloomfield
    Coach: Rod Patison

www.titans.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Rogers injury opens door for Toopi
    | April 20th, 2010

TITANS star Mat Rogers is out for up to 12 weeks, opening the door for Clinton Toopi to make his much-anticipated return to elite rugby league.

Four years after last playing at NRL level with the New Zealand Warriors, Toopi has been named for Monday night's away clash against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

While Toopi's promotion is welcome, the Titans were dealt a big blow with news that 34-year-old Rogers is out for up to three months with a medial ligament tear in his left knee.

Toopi joined the Titans on a trial basis during the pre-season after a stint with Leeds in the UK Super League and rugby union in New Zealand.

The experienced centre played 129 NRL games for the Warriors between 1999 and 2006.

``It's been a bit of a nervous two days, a lot of friends and family have been texting me saying 'are you in' and I didn't really have an answer,'' said Toopi.

``It means so much.''

Gold Coast Titans (v Manly, 7pm Monday)
    1 William Zillman
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Clinton Toopi
    4 Joseph Tomane
    5 David Mead
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Preston Campbell
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Brad Meyers
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Matt White
    15 Michael Henderson
    16 Sam Tagataese
    17 Jordan Atkins
    18 Will Matthews

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Banned

please omit jordan atkins

Welcome back to the NRL Clinton! I have to admit it's hard not to get a little lump in your throat seeing him on Fox Sports News ringing his family to tell them the good news.

A bit of inspired recruitment bringing him on board. Who would have thought this early in the season we'd be without Esi and Mat...

As Boofhead says, a bit of experience in the backline will really help the youngsters.

A Toopi/Tomane centre combinations is pretty devastating flanked by some lightning wingers.

Atkins would be left out IMO.