Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Default Zillman over hitch with confidence

TITANS fullback William Zillman has revealed he battled confidence issues for the entire 2009 season and is only now starting to get his zip back.

The Gold Coast's major signing last year, Zillman struggled to live up to the hype as he fought his way back to first grade from two consecutive knee reconstructions.

He enjoyed consistent form, playing 22 of 26 games, but failed to produce the game-breaking performances that saw him rocket to the verge of NRL stardom at the Canberra Raiders.

"It was a bit of a mental thing," said 23-year-old Zillman, whose electric speed earned him the nickname Zip Zip at the Raiders.

"I did probably lack a bit of confidence.

"So it is good now that I have got a whole year of football under my belt and getting to play a lot of NRL.

"It has served me well because I feel like I can put that stage of my career behind me, all the injuries and those sorts of things, and move on.

"This year my knee is not on my mind at all."

The second year into a four-year Titans deal reported to be worth nearly $1 million, Zillman has always been seen by the club as part of their long-term plans.

After starting the season in Queensland Cup with a sizzling two-try performance for feeder club Ipswich, Zillman earned an NRL call up in Round 2 and has started at fullback in a re-shuffled backline since Round 4 following an injury to Scott Prince.

Zillman's revelation that his match-winning mojo is starting to return is sure to be welcome news for not only club officials but Titans fans.

"It is about taking my opportunities when they come," said Zillman, who was invited to the Queensland emerging Origin squad camp in January.

"Obviously it has been terrible for the team losing Princey, but it has given me my opportunity to play a few NRL games.

"Personally I just want to take those opportunities and try and cement a spot there."

Titans strength and conditioning coach Chris McLellan said there was nothing holding Zillman back physically, with nearly two years now passed since his last knee reconstruction.

"There is no doubt that he is one of the genuine speedsters in the club," said McLellan.

"He is the fourth fastest over 40m, behind Shannon Walker, Kevin Gordon and David Mead.

"His speed is there, now he just needs to find the space and he will be sweet."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

"There is no doubt that he is one of the genuine speedsters in the club," said McLellan.

"He is the fourth fastest over 40m, behind Shannon Walker, Kevin Gordon and David Mead.

"His speed is there, now he just needs to find the space and he will be sweet."
    Fantastic news, puts to bed that he has lost his speed.

We really missed him at the back end of the year in 2009.

Looking forward to seeing Zillman rip into the Dragons tomorrow. Especially Boyd.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Zillman first try scorer, get on it!

Zillman has played really really well in jumping in for Presto when Presto had to move to the 7 (or was injured).

The future looks bright!
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

I felt he's been caught out of position quite often, but had Presto covering up from halfback. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more to do with having very little gametime in the last few years. If he settles down and doesn't try to force the plays it'll all come good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I felt he's been caught out of position quite often, but had Presto covering up from halfback. I wouldn't be surprised if that's more to do with having very little gametime in the last few years. If he settles down and doesn't try to force the plays it'll all come good for him.
    Really? I've seen it as more of the opposite and we've had a fullback in position more often then we have had before.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

hopefully this helps with zilly's confidence so he starts taking players on and not chip over top

I agree, I do think lack of game time doesn't help him gel into the team and the fact that he is in the starting 13 will boost his confidence.

Couple that with "TALK TO THEM ZILLMAN!"

He is going to rip it up.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

this guy should be on the bench everyweek