Default Allan Langer to keep Origin coach job

Allan Langer to keep Origin coach job despite drink shame

STILL IN A JOB: Allan Langer, here at Brisbane Broncos training at UQ, faces a drink/driving charge. Picture: Peter Wallis Source: The Courier-Mail
    QUEENSLAND legend Allan Langer will not lose his coaching role with the Maroons State of Origin team following the drunken night out that saw him charged with a high-range drink-driving offence.

Langer's position with the Queensland team will be reviewed by the Queensland Rugby League board tomorrow, but managing director Ross Livermore and Maroons coach Mal Meninga believe the former Kangaroos Test halfback has suffered enough.

Livermore, who has just returned from a two-week family commitment in the US, said Langer was registered as a trainer with the NRL and unless that position was revoked he was entitled to be part of any team.

"How many times must Alfie be punished?" Livermore said. "He's lost his job as an ambassador for XXXX, he has been suspended by the Broncos from his role as a skills coach and has to front the court.

"It's not as if he is the head coach of the Origin side. It's my view that he should continue in his role with the Queensland team and I would be surprised if the board does not support that view.

"We do not condone what he is alleged to have done and at the end of the day he will pay a heavy price."

Langer will appear in court on Monday week charged with drink-driving after allegedly blowing .15 when he was breath-tested by police after leaving a Brisbane pub on March 29 following the Broncos' 48-16 loss to the New Zealand Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

He was immediately stood down by the Broncos pending his court case. The next day Langer issued a statement through his lawyers unreservedly apologising for his actions.

Meninga said yesterday he would contact Langer in the next few days to let him know he was still wanted.

"I wanted to let things settle down a bit because I knew Alf would be doing it tough," Meninga said. "But I want him to know he still has a role to play with Queensland."

The Queensland team for Origin I will be named on May 18, with the side to go into camp on the Sunshine Coast where Langer lives. Origin I will be played in Sydney on May 26.

Meanwhile Livermore said the QRL had decided not to pursue $20,000 in transfer and development fees it believed it was owed by the Gold Coast Titans.

"The Titans have lodged an appeal with the NRL, but (NRL operations manager) Graham Annesley will not make a call on whether we are entitled to the money," Livermore said.

"We will advise the clubs concerned that they will not be getting their money because it is not worth it given the legal costs."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Allan Langer to keep Origin coach job despite drink shame "How many times must Alfie be punished?" Livermore said. "He's lost his job as an ambassador for XXXX, Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport

I thought he did a marvelous job as ambassador for XXXX!