Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Titan Tomane faces fierce welcome `home'

THE fuse has been lit for an explosive clash between Melbourne and the Gold Coast after claims by the Storm that former favourite son Joseph Tomane was a selfish player, who put himself ahead of the team.

Gold Coast centre Tomane will face his old side tomorrow night for the first time since walking away from the powerhouse NRL club last season.

The match is already shaping as an early season litmus test for the Titans but Storm assistant coach Brad Arthur has ensured added fireworks for the Skilled Park showdown.

Arthur this week claimed part of the reason Tomane was overlooked for the Storm's ultimately successful 2009 finals campaign in favour of Dane Nielsen was because he was not a team player.

Tomane scored 10 tries in 15 games for the Storm last year, but was not sighted in first grade after Round 24 as Nielsen went on to finish the season on the left wing.

"Joe Tomane had plenty of X-factor about him, but Dane probably is more of a team player," Arthur told the Melbourne press.

"He does what's best for the team and not what's best for Dane.

"He wants to work hard and do all the little things right and keep it nice and simple and just do his job, whereas Joe Tomane is a very good footballer but he is probably a bit more about himself than the team on occasions."

Already lining up opposite superstar Storm centre Greg Inglis and needing to make up for a below par performance last week against the Cowboys, the stinging criticism is likely to give Tomane even more motivation.

The Titans were reluctant to return fire yesterday, but privately believe the comments to be a simple case of sour grapes.

The Coast pinched Tomane from under Craig Bellamy's nose last year, triggering an angry reaction from the Storm, who were desperate to retain the talented 20-year-old.

Tomane captured the attention of the NRL with a stunning three-try 24-point haul against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 13.

Five days later he turned his back on the Storm to sign a two-year deal with the Gold Coast.

At the time Bellamy said the incident left him 'angered as never before in my time as a coach'.

Storm assistant coach Steve Kearney yesterday insisted there was no lingering bad blood.

"Joseph made it clear that he wanted to go home to be closer to family, which is understandable," he said.

"We were disappointed to lose a young guy with the talent that he has. But at the end of the day it was a great opportunity for him and he went with our blessing."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Laffranchi cleared to face Storm

Anthony Laffranchi, frustrated on the sidelines

TITANS backrower Anthony Laffranchi has declared himself a certain starter against defending premiers Melbourne at Skilled Park tomorrow night.

In a boost for the home side, Laffranchi yesterday confirmed he would line-up in his No.11 jumper after missing last week's disappointing loss against the Cowboys with a back injury.

Laffranchi, who is determined to win back his NSW Origin and Test jumpers this season, will have a final training run with the rest of the side at Robina this morning.

"It was a bit of sciatic nerve pain in my back which caused my hamstring to kind of tighten up last week," said Laffranchi.

"It is just one of those ones that can flare up.

"It was frustrating more than anything because after 48 hours it settled right down. It is all sweet to go for Friday night."

Laffranchi said it was hard watching the error-riddled loss to North Queensland from the stands and that the club was determined to get the basics right against the Melbourne Storm.

The Titans emerged victorious the only other time the two sides have met on the Gold Coast, beating a Storm side minus all of its Origin stars 18-0 at Robina in 2008.

The Gold Coast were yesterday installed as $2.50 outsiders to beat the Storm ($1.50).

"It was very disappointing and frustrating (last week),' said Laffranchi. "We have been turning too much ball over, at crucial times we are dropping the ball or giving away a silly penalty.

"Teams are capitalising on it and can hurt us like the Cowboys did.

"Our ball control hasn't been what we wanted it to be, so we want to start this weekend.

"Especially against Melbourne, you don't want to give them too much ball."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

awesome news about laffranchi, deffinately missed him last week.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

AAP
    Bellamy wary of Prince-less Titans
    http://au.sports.yahoo.com

Unbeaten NRL leaders Melbourne are on Scott Prince alert even though the scheming Gold Coast halfback won't take the field against them at Skilled Park on Friday night.

The Storm know too well how a side can lift without their No.7, having recently captured the world club championship against the Leeds Rhinos with captain Cameron Smith as acting halfback for Cooper Cronk.

They also haven't forgotten losing 18-6 to the Titans last year at their Olympic Park fortress, when Prince was out injured.

"You're halfback is very important to any team," said Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

"We went through that stage with the world club challenge and of our first two (NRL) games when we didn't have our halfback."

Veteran Preston Campbell makes his second successive appearance in the role after filling in for the injured Prince against North Queensland in Townsville.

His time alongside new five-eighth Greg Bird should help the pair this weekend against the experienced Cronk and Brett Finch.

"With that run under their belt their combination and understanding of the players around them will be a lot better," said Bellamy.

"I remember almost the same round this time last year we played the Titans at home and Scott was out ... they actually gave us a bit of a touch up.

"Maybe some of our players may have had the same idea in their heads because they were reading too much of what you guys (the media) write and it was a real good lesson for us."

The Titans, who face several more weeks without Prince (broken thumb), have a proud Skilled Park record and few teams leave the Robina ground with a win.

The last time they visited the Gold Coast they were sent packing 18-0 but they didn't have their Origin stars on deck.

Melbourne showed against the previously-unbeaten Dragons they are a team that can stick rigidly to a game plan.

Their forwards pound away at their opposition, eventually allowing Smith and Cronk just enough space to bring their strike players Greg Inglis and Billy Slater into the game.

Like the Titans, Melbourne were winning without playing their best footy until their impressive effort against the Dragons.

Bellamy has been impressed by the form of Titans forwards Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Minichiello and hooker Nathan Friend.

"I've got a big rap on Nathan Friend, he's a tremendous dummy half who'll give his forwards some options and they'll give him some options around the play the ball," he said.

"They've also got our young bloke (Joseph) Tomane (who played for the Storm last year) whose playing out of his skin in the centres."

Bellamy is a huge fan of Campbell, a player he enjoys watching, at least when he's not coaching against him.

"Preston's a wonderful player. He's always amazed me," Bellamy said.

"The size of the guy when he goes to the defensive line, he actually accelerates and tries to duck under the defence.

"There's no self preservation with him.

"He's got a lot of pace and strength and courage for such a small man.

"I saw him accelerate into (112kg prop) Dane Tilse and he just bounced up, adjusted his head gear and got straight back into it again.
    "He's a marvel, I've always enjoyed watching him play."

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

smh.com.au
    MELBOURNE Storm superstar Greg Inglis has been told to lift his game for Friday's clash against Gold Coast, captain Cameron Smith said yesterday.

Inglis has had a relatively quiet start to the season after being troubled by chronic hip soreness and having to shed several kilograms after returning from his post-season break. However, he had been more involved in his past two games, especially during the 17-4 win over the Dragons last Friday.

Inglis' work ghosting behind Dane Nielsen contributed to the Storm's first try, while he threw the last pass for Anthony Quinn to score the second and his powerful run in the lead-up to the decisive third try helped create space for Billy Slater to slice through.

However, Smith, who has previously pointed to Inglis' off-the-ball work, yesterday said more was now required from the left-centre.

''He had a bit of a slow start to the year, everyone knows that,'' Smith said. ''I know the coach and the players have asked a lot more of him this week. It's a big game for him because he hasn't been happy with the way he's been playing so he needs to step up this week.''

Titans centre Mat Rogers, who will line up on the opposite side of the field against Nielsen, said a big performance was around the corner for Inglis and he hoped the Titans, who are fourth after a bad loss to North Queensland last weekend, would not be the unlucky team.

''You know he's going to at some stage, let's hope it's not this week,'' Rogers said. ''Class players rise and I've got no doubt he's going to rise to massive, massive feats. Let's just hope it's for Queensland playing against NSW and not for Melbourne against the Titans.''

The Storm yesterday named an unchanged squad, with the Titans recalling Anthony Laffranchi after a back injury.

Rogers said the Titans would be unlikely to repeat the tactic that led to a massive upset win over the Storm in round four last year. The Titans frustrated the Storm when, in an effort to take Slater out of the play, they kicked the ball dead rather than risk his kick returns.

''I don't think that will be a ploy. I think we're pretty confident in our defensive chase now to be able to combat a guy like Billy,'' said Rogers, although he added that was before the ''woeful'' performance against the Cowboys.

''It takes him out of the game a little bit and maybe frustrates him a little. You look at a guy like Billy, I think he's probably the best player in the world at the moment. You just look at every angle you can to combat a guy like that.

''Billy just keeps getting better every year. You wonder when players are going to stop getting better when they are as good as him. He's definitely just grown another leg again this year, so it's frightening how good he can be.''

Junior Titan

Interesting comments from the Storm camp re Tomane it is just me or are there some sour grapes going about
    Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Time to look ahead to this epic game this Friday!

Cronk, Slater, Inglis and Slater and let's not forget Finchy as well are coming our way. And we have a lot of work ahead of us.

We really missed Laffranchi, alot more than I realised. And Im sure Preston wont have two poor games in a row. But there was no stand outs and so many below par efforts. Everyone needs to lift across the board.

Also the home ground advantage will be a factor. So make sure you get to Skilled Park and remind them that "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" as Daveyk and Coaster often yell.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post

Bellamy has been impressed by the form of Titans forwards Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi, Anthony Minichiello and hooker Nathan Friend.
    Poor old Mini, trying so hard for an origin berth and the coach he's trying to impress can't even remember his name
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

No Prince, but we can still compete, insists Rogers

SCOTT PRINCE, conventional wisdom suggests, is everything to the Gold Coast Titans. But as they enter tonight's game against premiers Melbourne at Skilled Park without their halfback and co-captain once again, his former halves partner Mat Rogers has issued a reminder: there is life without him.

The overall statistics are not entirely convincing - the Titans, since their foundation year in 2007, have won four of 13 matches when Prince has been sidelined. But six of those defeats were at the end of the 2008 season when Prince, out with a broken arm, witnessed the club suffer through a bad dose of semi-finals white line fever and miss the top eight.

More recently, a Prince-less Titans side has achieved victories over the Storm - in Melbourne, no less, last year - and against Canterbury. They lost to North Queensland last Saturday night as Preston Campbell filled in for an injured Prince (broken thumb) but Rogers says it had little to do with who wore the No.7 jersey.

''Last week had nothing to do with Princey not being there and everything to do with us not handling the ball properly,'' said Rogers, who has played centre since the arrival of Greg Bird at Robina.

''When you take your main playmaker out of play there is obvious disruptions. But we know we can live without him.

''We've won a couple of really good games without him - against the Roosters a couple of years ago we came from behind, and against Melbourne and the Bulldogs last year. It would be nice to have him of course but I think having him away can sort of help us - we can sort of understand that we can do things without him.''

At 34, Rogers would be entitled to be winding down his career but, off contract at the end of the season, he is not done yet. He will decide his future by July but has not ruled out a career swansong in Sydney.

''My wife [Chloe Maxwell] is a Sydney girl and she misses her friends and family so she would jump at the chance to get back there I'm sure,'' he said. ''I know if I'm playing well someone's going to want me to play for them. If I don't it's not going to matter.''

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Schoolboy errors plaque Titans

THEY may be sitting near the top of the NRL ladder but key statistics show the Gold Coast Titans have been making a mountain of worrying mistakes over the first four rounds.

The Titans are currently ranked among the worst sides in the competition for errors and missed tackles, keeping company with the likes of the bottom feeding Broncos, Raiders, Sharks and Eels.

Gold Coast pack leader Luke Bailey said the playing group was aware of the problem and vowed to stop the rot against defending premiers Melbourne tonight at Skilled Park.

"We came back to the drawing board and realised what we did wrong," said Bailey.

"Now it is time to fix it up and what better way than against the form team in the competition.

"Our main goal at training this week has been to hang on to the ball and to get through our completions.

"When you drop ball, then you tackle too much and then you tend to miss them when you are tired.

"It is only early on in the season and hopefully we have rectified those problems."

The Coast have made a collective 154 missed tackles and 56 errors since the season started, to be ranked third and fourth worst respectively in the NRL

By contrast premiership heavyweights the Storm and Dragons are the best and second best when it comes to tackling, with Melbourne missing just 94 and St George Illawarra 97, more than a third less than the Gold Coast.

Melbourne have made 51 errors while the Dragons, with just 32, are currently the most clinical side in the competition.

"We are not in the best of form, but I don't think it is the time of year to be in the best of form," said Titans coach John Cartwright.

"They (Melbourne) scratched away for the first three rounds before playing the Dragons brought the best out in them.

"We are confident that playing Melbourne is going to bring the best out in us.

"There has been a fair bit of hype this week and everyone knows that when you are playing the premiers you automatically lift.

"It is probably a bit more important to focus on doing the little things right this week and not getting carried away with the occasion."

Titans forwards Anthony Laffranchi (back) and Brad Meyers (hamstring) cruised through yesterday's final training run and were cleared to play, while winger Kevin Gordon (thigh) is also expected to be right.

The Titans head into the match as underdogs, despite losing just one game at their Robina fortress last season.

Bailey said the Titans victory in Melbourne last year without halfback Scott Prince proved the Storm were not invincible.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

What a win
    2012 TITANS Will be a force to be reckoned with

Banned

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, i was laughing @ all the storm supporters tonight after they lost, i really wish anthony quinn didn't get a hat-trick though cos he is a grubby player. Shut down slater, cronk and inglis very well tonight, we probably should have had more tries but heaps of penalties and drop ball.

WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!

What a team performance!!

Congrats to Ash Harrison what a memorable 200th that will be. Great to see him get a try to savour on a big night. Just hope the leg comes up OK we need you next Friday big man!!

If Laffranchi keeps playing like he did tonight we will be losing him for 3 rounds around May-June-July!!

Credit to Rogers. I have been critical of him this year and while he still isn't getting ANY quality ball in attack he tackled his heart out tonight.

Zillman had his best game as a Titan. So much safer at the back than Presto. He was as solid as an absolute rock under the high ball and on the ground tonight.

That would be in the top 5 wins in our history and the crowd really let rip in the last 15 minutes with probably the best atmosphere we have ever generated outside of a Broncos match. The 20,000 sounded a lot louder than that...

WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by karnage; 09-04-10 at 09:55 PM.

man storm are grubby players,
    Sante des femmes viagrasansordonnancefr.com France sans maladie

Banned

maybe we shouldn't let prince play when we vs the storm lol , the 3 wins we had over storm he wasn't playing!

rogers is a machine, reminded me of adam sandler on the waterboy hahaha