Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tonga was tough, but Inglis is the world-class rival

LIFE could not be better for bustling Gold Coast Titans centre Joseph Tomane.

But if he thought it was tough in Townsville, it is about to get a lot harder when he marks up against former teammate Greg Inglis on Friday.

Dazzling the Titans supporters with his raw power and speed in the opening three rounds, the 20-year-old came back to earth when Willie Tonga ran in three tries in the Cowboys' 32-18 victory in Townsville.

"I got taught a lesson by a good teacher but I need to go away and keep my head down and make up for the errors that I made last night," said Tomane yesterday.

"If I thought Tonga had a good, strong fend on him I'm now lining up against one of the best fends in the competition.

"But it will be a good learning experience for me playing against one of the best centres in the game."

Promising to switch his mobile phone off this week to ensure there was no banter from his former teammates, Tomane said he had relished his move north.

Wellington-born, Tomane grew up in Logan, going to school at Marsden High before switching to Nudgee College for his senior years.

"It's been good the move back and I'm glad to be back near home," said Tomane, who played rugby alongside Gold Coaster James O'Connor at Nudgee and the Australian Schoolboys.

"I do miss Melbourne but the culture around the club is the same so it's been easy to get into things.

"I keep in touch with a lot of the guys, but I haven't lately because I keep changing my number, but I'm going to keep my phone off because they might have a bit on me after Saturday night.

"I just want to concentrate on my massive task on Friday."

That task is trying to contain Inglis, arguably the greatest player in the game today, known for his ability to swat away defenders.

And he knows he needs a big game, with his position far from secure, especially with former Kiwi Test player Clinton Toopi impressing in the Queensland Cup.

"It's been just as tough to crack into this squad, I think I've just been a bit lucky," he said.

"Clinton has been playing some good football in the Queensland Cup and I need to keep my form up.

"I had a shocker on Saturday night so hopefully I can pick it up."

Titans coach John Cartwright said despite Tomane's harsh assessment of his efforts against the Cowboys he had been impressed with the attitude and skill he brought to the club.

"We dropped a lot of ball up there and they made us pay but you can't put it all on him," said Cartwright. "The past few weeks he has been one of our best."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I will be on him aswell but i feel a bit shamed sometimes giving it to players when families with young children are about.

I might need to start thinking about become a legion member
    As a front rower for the legion i can promise slater will be copping it....

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    As a front rower for the legion i can promise slater will be copping it....
    Last edited by teke; 05-04-10 at 01:43 PM.

Inglis has been quiet so far this season. Hope he remains quiet for one more week. Must be ready to explode soon though...

Titans might want to work over time on Tomanes Defensive skilles.

Banned

trying to get decent tickets now, dont wanna sit in section 2

So Cartwright has hit the nail on the head - we dropped too much ball - not necessarily Tomane's fault Tonga got the ball while we were on the back foot and scrambling back into position (at least for 2 of Tonga's three tries).

But what is Cartwright going to do about it? Is he going to bench the key perpetrators? Does he bring Toopi into the centres, slide Rogers into five-eighth, Bird into Lock and bench Minichiello? Doubt it, but I'd like to see it.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Gold Coast's Joseph Tomane is learning write from wrong

HUMBLED Gold Coast youngster Joseph Tomane has revealed how he plans to fill in his diary after being given a clinic by North Queensland star Willie Tonga on Saturday.

Tomane, the former Melbourne Storm junior who has been a standout during the Titans' opening three weeks, conceded he was licking his wounds before Friday night's clash against his former club.

The 20-year-old centre was taken apart by Tonga, who bagged a hat-trick of tries and defensively rattled his opposite number in the Gold Coast's 32-18 loss.

"I felt like I went back to school. He gave me a good lesson," Tomane said. "It's something I'll need to write in my little diary to work on during the week.

"I do like to have a few notes on how I went. It will be about how I defended him. My defence wasn't up to scratch, as it was in the first three weeks.

"Letting three tries in, that sort of stuff shouldn't happen. I'm a natural ball-runner. My attack is my strength but you don't win games with attack all the time. You've got to be a good defender. Your defence usually wins you games."

Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston, the catalyst for Tonga's latest stirring performance, spent last week chirping in Tonga's ear how Tomane was a challenger for Tonga's Queensland State-of-Origin spot.

"It's always good to have a challenge, I love it," Tonga said. "You've got your Inglises, Hodges, Folaus - a player like Tomane, they're talking about him being in Origin and stuff like that. In the last couple of weeks he's shown he's up there and he can manage that in a couple of years.

"I saw it as a great challenge and I'm glad we got the win.

"Without sounding ****y, I try to be confident in my ability to go against those boys.

"They're good players and youv'e got to expect anything. That's how I take it."

Tonga said the bone-rattlers that forced Tomane to spill possession in the seventh and 53rd minutes had given him as big a rush as his second NRL career hat-trick.

"Especially when you're under the pump, to come up with those big plays is always a thrill," he said.

Tomane has been a shining light for the Gold Coast during the opening month, but he will again have his hands full on Friday night against Storm superstar Greg Inglis.

"Consistency ... that pretty much separates the good players from the great players," Tomane said.

"If I want to become one of them, I've got to be consistent with my performances."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Banned

got my tickets!
    i'm sure tomane will have a better game this week, maybe i can inspire the titans to kick melbourne's ***

zillman
    mead
    tomane
    rogers
    gordon
    bird
    presto
    bull
    friend
    big red
    mini
    boof
    harrison
    henderson
    white
    taga
    brown
    matthews

tbh, meyers is one of our better prop's, but anyone else rkn we get better use of him off the bench?
    hopefully henderson steps up and gets his starting spot back cause i rather big red of the bench, i rkn he just makes more of an impact

Banned

we should put O Dwyer in for Brown, O Dwyer has some skill and he is a tank, he also has an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Yeah mate - he is like a tank with one wheel...

He won't be back from injury till around the middle of the year, at which time competition for those backrow / bench spots will intensify even further with Cannings available as well.

So no changes from the Cowboys except for the forced one with Laffranchi. Sounds like he had a similar complaint to Harro the week before...??

No surprises with the team named then, we just need a bit better application.

Absolutely no reason why we can't win this game. I loved Warren Ryan's quote after the Sharks-Eels game on Saturday:
    'There is one thing for certain in every footy season - every team will win a game and every team will lose one'

Let's hope he is repeating that great line after Friday night!!

I saw Chalky train this arvo & he's looking pretty good at the moment but he'll probably have to play his comeback match with Seagulls or Burliegh in the up coming weeks
    #itaintweaktospeak

Really looking forward to O'Dwyer returning to fitness. He'd be in my 17.

Storm unchanged for Titans clash

The Melbourne Storm have named an unchanged squad for Friday night's trip to Skilled Park to face the Gold Coast Titans.

Fresh from maintaining their unbeaten start to their premiership defence with a 17-4 defeat of the Dragons at Etihad Stadium last Friday, the Storm will be looking for their fifth win from as many starts when they face the Titans.

Coach Craig Bellamy has named Ryan Hinchcliffe to start at lock with Todd Lowrie dropping back to the bench.

Gold Coast meanwhile has named an 18-man squad that includes Anthony Laffranchi, who is set to return from a lower-back injury, along with Ashley Harrison who will play his 200th first-grade game a decade after debuting with the Broncos.

"It's definitely a big milestone to reach,'' said Harrison.

"Along the way you don't think about it but when it comes it's something you can really look back on."

"I've really enjoyed the journey and I'm looking forward to continuing the journey a couple of years yet."

"Even after 200 games I'm still learning stuff about myself and you still encounter different things week-in and week-out."

Storm:
    1. Billy Slater, 2. Luke MacDougall, 3. Dane Nielsen, 4. Greg Inglis, 5. Anthony Quinn, 6. Brett Finch, 7. Cooper Cronk, 8. Aiden Tolman, 9. Cam Smith (c), 10. Jeff Lima, 11. Adam Blair, 12. Kevin Proctor, 13. Ryan Hinchcliffe
    Interchange: 14. Todd Lowrie, 15. Hep Cahill, 16. Ryan Tandy, 17. Bryan Norrie

Titans:
    1. William Zillman, 2. Kevin Gordon, 3. Mat Rogers, 4. Joseph Tomane, 5. David Mead, 6. Greg Bird, 7. Preston Campbell, 8. Luke Bailey (c), 9. Nathan Friend, 10. Brad Meyers, 11. Anthony Laffranchi, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Ashley Harrison
    Interchange: 14. Matthew White, 15. Michael Henderson, 16. Sam Tagataese, 17. Riley Brown, 18. Will Matthews

Source: http://www.melbournestorm.com.au