Default QCUP Round 4: Northern Pride v Tweed Heads Seagulls

Northern Pride v Tweed Heads
    Saturday, April 3 ? 7pm - Barlow Park

Experienced fullback Chey Bird returns from injury for the crunch clash against the Seagulls in Cairns. Both sides are yet to record a win in the Intrust Super Cup although it is hardly time to hit the panic button just yet. Bird slots into a new-look backline that also includes Cowboys regular Michael Bani on the wing. Bani and Steve Southern have been dropped from the Cowboys NRL side after a major shake up by North Queensland coach Neil Henry. Impressive youngster Theeran Pearson make his debut for the Pride at five-eighth in the absence of regular pivot Ryan Stig. For the second week in a row, the Tweed will be without key playmakers Brad Davis and Tim Maccan. Although yet to register a win, the Tweed has been super competitive in all three matches and last week their depleted squad pushed Burleigh all the way in a narrow 10-4 loss.

Source: http://www.qrl.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Northern Pride

1. Chey Bird 2. Michael Bani 3. Brett Anderson 4. Jamie Frizzo 5. Brenton Bowen 6. Theeran Pearson 7. Chris Sheppard 8. Ben Laity 9. Clint Amos 10. Jaiman Lowe 11. Steve Southern 12. Mark Cantoni 13. Rod Griffin

14. Jason Roos 15. Nick Slyney 16. Noel Underwood 17. Manase Manuokafoa.

Coach: David Maiden

Tweed Heads

1. Shannon Walker 2. Cameron White 3. James Wood 4. Josh Graham 5. Dominique Peyroux 6. Shaun Carney 7. Yulu McGrady 8. Brock Hunter 9. Arron Pawley 10.Michael Henderson 11. Will Matthews 12. Selasi Berdie 13. Ryan Simpkins (c)

14. Richie Barrett 15. Matt O’Reilly 16. Kingi Akauola 17. Jake Leary

Coach: Ben Anderson

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Son of `Truck' gears up to lead Seagulls

FORMER Titans under-20s skipper Ryan Simpkins is on track to create Seagulls history today when he becomes the youngest player to captain Tweed Heads since the club was founded more than a century ago.

While regular captain Brad Davis (ankle) trained with the squad yesterday and could yet be a last-minute inclusion, 21-year-old Simpkins has been named to lead the Seagulls out when they do battle with the Northern Pride in Cairns.

"It is a huge privilege," said the uncompromising backrower, whose style has been likened to former Maroons hardman Dallas Johnson.

"We are still deciding on Brad, we will leave it until today to wait and see how he pulls up.

"But it is still pretty exiting to be given the captaincy."

The Tweed Heads Seagulls is the oldest registered provincial rugby league club in Australia, founded in 1908 before kicking off in the Byron Bay Group 18 competition in 1909.

Club legend Tom Searle currently holds the record as the youngest Seagulls skipper, assuming control as a 22-year-old captain-coach in 1972.

"He (Simpkins) is a great choice," said Searle yesterday.

"He leads by example every week and that would be the reason he has been handed the job."

Simpkins is in just his second season of Queensland Cup after leading the inaugural Titans Toyota Cup side to the finals in 2008.

He trained with the Gold Coast's NRL squad over the pre-season, with Titans assistant coach Steve Murphy one of his biggest fans.

"They have told me that they will be watching how I go this year and if I have a good one, they may give me a contract for next season," said Simpkins, the son of foundation Gold Coast Giants player Robert 'Truck' Simpkins.

"For them to give me the chance to train with them in the pre-season was great and I am really appreciative of that.

"I feel it has helped me so far this season already.

"Hopefully I can stay injury free and have a good year."

While Davis remains an outside chance, halfback Tim Maccan (hip) and utility Cody Walker (sternum) look certain to get the green light.

Both Tweed and Northern Pride are yet to post a victory this season after three rounds.

Experienced Pride fullback Chey Bird returns from injury, while Cowboys regulars Michael Bani and Steve Southern have been dropped from North Queensland NRL side and will line up on the wing and in the back row respectively.

Burleigh halfback Brent 'Jockey' McConnell will play his 100th Queensland Cup match for the Bears when they clash with Ipswich at Pizzey Park tomorrow.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Seagulls to take on Pride .

TWEED Heads Seagulls and Northern Pride have a common goal when they meet in round four of the rugby league Queensland Cup in Cairns tonight.

A win for either will give them their first win of the season with both teams having lost all three Cup encounters.

But despite the worst possible start to the season, Seagulls head coach Ben Anderson is confident of his team getting the monkey off their back with a win over the Pride tonight.

“We’ve got some fine-tuning to do but I’m confident in the boys,” Anderson said.

The team put in some last-minute training yesterday morning at Piggabeen.

“The boys are working hard,” Anderson said.

“We still have the utmost confidence in the players.”

Seagulls have experienced some close calls this season.

They lost the season opener 32-30 to Redcliffe, were defeated 22-12 against North Devils in Round 2 and just missed out 4-10 against Burleigh Bears last week.

“We’ve had some tight games so far this season, that’s for sure,” Anderson said.

Their opponents tonight are reeling from a huge 60-12 loss to the Souths Logan Magpies last week. Anderson said injured halfback Tim Maccan should be right to make his return to the field after suffering a hip injury in round two.

There was still doubt over fellow halfback Brad Davis, who suffered an ankle injury in the opening set of the same game. Anderson classed the pair as his “on-field generals”.

“Brad and Tim are long-time servants of the team; the heart and soul,” he said.

In the meantime, young guns Yula McGrady, 21 and Shaun Carney, 19, have stepped up to the plate.

“Yula has only played three games in the Queensland Cup and Shaun is a tough kid,” Anderson said.

“Yula’s kicking let him down a bit, but he still managed to set up a try last match.”

Anderson was desperately hoping to break their losing streak in the match against the equally disappointed Pride.

“We’ve had three tight losses and Northern Pride are coming off a pretty big loss. We’re in the same boat.

“We both need it, but I’m confident we will be able to get over,” Anderson said.

Kick-off for the Tweed Heads Seagulls v Northern Pride match in round four of the Queensland Cup is 8pm DST tonight at Barlow Park, Cairns.

Source: http://www.tweednews.com.au/