Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Lockyer's heavy rep load may make him target in Broncos, Titans derby

Gold Coast Titans plan to test out Darren Lockyer's engine in his third game in seven days when they visit Brisbane Broncos for their NRL derby at Suncorp Stadium.

But Titans skipper Scott Prince says his side won't fall into the trap of targeting Brisbane's champion playmaker.

Lockyer, 33, has played 160 minutes of rugby league in the past week, guiding the Kangaroos to a hard-fought victory over New Zealand in his 51st Test in Melbourne before steering a young Broncos outfit to a 34-16 upset over Melbourne 48 hours later.

Prince warned it would be easy to lose focus and drift away from a game plan by targeting a player of Lockyer's class.

"It would be nice to get his work rate up because of all the footy he's played to take some polish off his attack," Prince told AAP.

"Teams do that to me and to all the ball players in opposition teams.

"But we won't be going out there just to run at Darren Lockyer."

Prince said Lockyer had stepped his game up in recent weeks after copping some criticism.

"He's a champion player, a champion bloke. Darren Lockyer always rises above all the critics," he said.

"That's the type of bloke he is and you learn to expect that of him.

"He's not getting any younger, like all of us, but the thing about him is he steps up at the right time.

"He's composed, he's a winner. He knows what needs to be done to win football matches and that's hard to find.

"What he's lost in speed and strength ... you just can't find that certain something special he has that wins games."

Lockyer, still adjusting to fatherhood since the recent birth of his first child, Sunny, said his body was holding up despite the demands of so much football.

"Last week was a good week with two wins (Test and Storm)," he said.

"There's been a few weeks where it hasn't been that great for us but body is good and the mind is good."

Lockyer put in the hard yards during the off-season to prepare himself for the demands of playing club and representative football in 2010.

"I got myself as fit as I could in the pre-season and physically things haven't been a problem," he said.

Lockyer said there was a "good feel" in the camp following last weekend's win over Melbourne, who may have crashed emotionally after their salary-cap dramas.

"We know the Titans are sitting top of the table and playing some good footy so it's going to be a big test," he said.

Prince said the Titans had addressed an unexpected drop off in defensive intensity which almost cost them two points against Newcastle last weekend.

"Our attitude in defence last week was missing and that was out of character for us," he said.

"It's been the cornerstone of our wins (Manly, Penrith and Newcastle Knights) but we've addressed it this week and hopefully we'll rectify it on Friday night."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Broncos And Titans Talk Rivalry

WOW Brisbane Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen and Captain Darren Lockyer have met with their coastal counterparts ahead of the Friday night clash.

In front of a packed house at the Broncos Annual Lunch, Cullen and Lockyer sat alongside Gold Coast Titans CEO Michael Searle and Captain Scott Prince in honour of the traditional local derby.

“The focus about these games is the local derby contest,” said Cullen.

“We’re not only good for each other with regard to bringing out the best in each other on the field but its also good in a business sense as well.”

Despite the CEO’s readiness to talk up the contest, the club captains were focused on their own game.

“One win doesn’t necessarily get our season back on track we’ve still got a bit of catching up to do,” said Lockyer of the upset win over the Melbourne Storm.

The Broncos host their South-East Queensland rivals this Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Source: Broncos
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast Titans concern as centre Clinton Toopi leaves training with injury
    From staff writers
    May 13, 2010 .Gold Coast Titans have suffered a blow on the eve of the local derby against Brisbane, with veteran centre Clinton Toopi going down injured at training.

The former New Zealand international wasn't able to complete the Titans final training session on Thursday and was seen limping off the park with what appeared to be a leg injury.

Toopi was thrown a lifeline by the Gold Coast this season after four years away from the NRL.

more to follow

www.foxsports.com.au

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

That is terrible news, he did a fantastic job at filling the hole that was left open.

Atkins? O'Dwyer? Zillman?

Preston Campbell fit for Broncos clash; Clinton Toopi out
    Jeremy Pierce | May 13, 2010 11:27AM

THE Titans got good news and bad news at their final training session before the southeast Queensland derby clash with the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow night.

Popular veteran Preston Campbell (knee) trained strongly and was passed fir to take on Brisbane.

Centre Clinton Toopi was ruled out because of a strained calf muscle with coach John Cartwright blaming the short turnaround from Sunday's clash with Newcastle.

Josh Graham was named in the centres to replace Toopi and will play his first NRL game since breaking his foot in the semi-final against the Broncos last year.

The Courier Mail

Well that answers that... Any QLD Cup guru's got word on Grahams form?

Grahams defense was always good in the past & it will need to be against Filou...

I hope Josh grabs his chance in 1st grade with both hands & has a blinder
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Grahams defense was always good in the past & it will need to be against Filou...

I hope Josh grabs his chance in 1st grade with both hands & has a blinder
    Yeh he was pretty tough too, didn't mind putting his body on the line.
    Did alot of dirty work for us last year.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I dont mind graham not the best attacking weapon but he is more reliable in defence.

Whats the go with Kingi and Marshall Chalk? Anyone see them play lately?

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Josh has been called up to take the spot......

Also i hope carty does not start Bird in lock like last week.... I think that move is only best wen the opp forwards are starting to slow.. and that bring pesto up to 5/8 nd bird out to lock

I think he started with Bird at lock because Lafrancri and Mino were a bit dusty from City Country game.

I expect to see Presto at the back to start the game.

Broncos are garbage, but expect them to play there best against us. Will be a cracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I think he started with Bird at lock because Lafrancri and Mino were a bit dusty from City Country game.

I expect to see Presto at the back to start the game.

Broncos are garbage, but expect them to play there best against us. Will be a cracker
    He started them like that cause it was very hot down there

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    He started them like that cause it was very hot down there

Hot!! i forget what that is, i cant even get a hot coffee here,
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Hot!! i forget what that is, i cant even get a hot coffee here,
    But the Beer is always Cold down there mate
    #itaintweaktospeak

the most worrying thing about going against the broncos is folau especially after not being picked for australia.. he always seems to score like 3 tries against us every game..

I reckon wallace and lockyer will put up the high ball or cross field kicks all night..

it will be a very tight game in my opinion