Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Come on David, your banner is ready to rock!
    am glad i am sitting down if this is true....
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    Wat wat did u say
    I'll post pics tonight.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

NRL on FOX 3/4 panelists pick Titans.

Dragons are favourites $1.80 Titans at $2.00

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Ashley Harrison has been cleared to play on Friday.

Scrum on the Titans 20-30mtr line, titans feed ball comes out and thump!! it is kicked deep down into the oppositions half ----> this was a team tactic they talked about doing to Warriors last year because Manu defends up and in tight.

I reckon it should be a goer for tomorrow night, get the flyers on the edge involved :eyebrows

Titans: We're no one-man team

To the outsider looking in, the Gold Coast Titans' last round come-from-behind NRL victory over premiers Melbourne was a major upset.

For the Titans players though, it confirmed what they suspected all along - they are definite premiership threats, even without their talisman Scott Prince.

And the Gold Coast are licking their lips at the prospect of adding ladder leaders St George Illawarra to their growing list of high profile scalps at Skilled Park on Friday night.

Titans captain Luke Bailey said his side enjoyed a new-found self belief following the 20-16 win over the Storm despite inspirational skipper Prince (thumb) not likely to return until at least the next round.

"I definitely think so. Just looking at the boys celebrating after the game - we knew we could actually do something without Princey," he said after the Gold Coast won for just the fifth time in 14 games without their halfback.

"But in saying that we beat Melbourne last season and we still underperformed throughout the year - let's hope this is a stepping stone towards what we want to achieve this year."

Titans coach John Cartwright also hinted that his side wanted to make a premiership statement on Friday night.

"Last time we played them we beat them - that got the monkey off the back," he said, referring to their sole victory against the Dragons in round 13, 2009 - also at Skilled Park.

"We are coming off a good win and we want to gain a bit more confidence.

"To be able to beat the two competition favourites in two weeks would be a big achievement."

The Dragons appear vulnerable after Michael Weyman (suspension) became the fourth top line forward to be unavailable for the clash - Jeremy Smith, Matt Prior and Jarrod Saffy are already on the injury list.

But the fact that the Dragons could slot in Maroons enforcer Neville Costigan - his first game since overcoming pre-season shoulder surgery - added weight to Bailey's praise for ex-club St George-Illawarra's depth.

"They adopt the same approach as Melbourne, when someone is out they fill the hole really well," he said.

"I don't think anyone is looking at who is in or out - just playing at 100 percent."

Cartwright agreed: "They haven't lost any of their playmakers.

"Their one, six, seven and nine are the same. That's what you look at - they are the guys who dictate the play.

"But I am not concerned with who is in or out, they all know their job."

The Titans would be forgiven for feeling quietly confident though, considering their home record.

They have won 14 of their last 16 at Skilled Park.

Meanwhile, the Titans on Thursday cleared Ashley Harrison (corked thigh).

Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/

Titans v Dragons Preview

Skilled Park - Friday 7.35pm

Okay, hands up: has anyone really gotten warm to the Titans? chances as a premiership hope in any of their first three seasons? Wow, not exactly a sea of hands showing?

But you have to admit that will all change if they manage to defeat the Dragons this week and add that scalp to the Storm?s from last week, that sees them flying as competition co-leaders.

John Cartwright?s boys slogged out a tough win over the Storm last week. The 20-16 victory was particularly gratifying given they chased down the premiers? 12-point halftime lead and ran away with the competition points ? albeit controversially given the penalty imposed on Cameron Smith for time-wasting. Still, a win is a win ? and victory here would set them up perfectly heading towards the halfway stage of the season. Next week they play the Sea Eagles at Brookvale, before some ?softer? competition looms in the form of the Panthers (home), Knights (away) and Broncos (away), before their bye leaves them refreshed leading into Round 12.

Cartwright knows wins over the next fortnight are imperative for his side to build momentum and confirm their status as legitimate front-runners.

Yes, Scott Prince remains sidelined with his broken thumb, but the skipper aside, they are injury-free and have retained the 17 who performed so stoutly last week.

Meanwhile the Dragons face a defining period. They have the luxury of a 4-1 record to date but key injuries and the upcoming representative season will surely test their depth.

Out from the side that accounted for the Broncos last week are prop Matt Prior and tackling dynamo second-rower Jeremy Smith, while their other bookend Michael Weyman needs to successfully challenge his striking charge at the judiciary tonight (Wednesday) in order to take his place.

Former Queensland Origin rep Neville Costigan makes his 2010 debut, taking Smith?s back-row spot, while Jon Green, Nick Emmett, Trent Merrin, ex-Rabbitoh Michael Greenfield, Ricky Thorby and Michael Lett make up an extended bench of 19.

Watch out Titans: Brett Morris is destined for high rep honours this year. His numbers show he?s among the biggest threats in the NRL: averages 129 metres a game, equal highest try-scorer (7), best good chases (10), fifth most tackle-breaks (27). The key for the Titans is to bustle the Dragons? inside men into error before they have a chance to execute their plays for Morris. Or at the very least, ensure the plays are rushed so that Morris is forced into error ? he does have six so far, the second most in the team behind playmaker Jamie Soward?s seven.

Elsewhere, Luke Priddis has really warmed into the no.9 jersey following Nathan Fien?s season-ending injury in Round 1; he has three try assists and his forwards are lining up to feed off his direction.

Also, this week NRL.com expert analyst Peter Sterling rated Priddis? pass at the advantage line the best in the NRL!

Watch out Dragons: Nathan Friend may not get the headlines and he may never be destined for the representative ranks, but he?s the sort of contributor that will be remembered by his club long after he hangs up his boots.

The no.9 thrives on involvement and his direction of his strong-running back-rowers in particular will prove crucial here. His 539 touches are the most in the NRL and a whopping 57 more than next busiest, the Sea Eagles? Matt Ballin. Friend has three try assists, so any lack of cohesion by the injury-depleted Dragons forwards in defence will be exploited.

Also, the Dragons might need to be on the lookout for aerial threats. They are good at defusing most attacking kicks ? except for cross-field bombs. While they have cleaned up 16 of 17 grubbers for 94 per cent effectiveness, they are a little scratchy in the air on the edges, defusing at just 25 per cent. Brett Morris and Jason Nightingale can expect Preston Campbell to direct some aerial raids their way.

Where it will be won: Organisation and execution.

Given the changes to the Dragons? pack, expect the Titans to try to play through the centre of the ruck. If the Dragons second-guess any plays they will pay for it, with the likes of Mark Minichiello (27 tackle-breaks) and Anthony Laffranchi (17 tackle-breaks) steaming onto short balls, breaking the game open for wider runners like Joseph Tomane (27 tackle-breaks).

Meanwhile, surprise would seem to be a good weapon for the Dragons. They have the most potent left-side attack in the NRL (they?ve scored 11 tries on the left compared to four on the right and five in the middle of the field) but to dismiss their right side would be foolish.

Last week against the Broncos their first few good, structured attacking plays were focused to the right ? and it led to points when Beau Scott crashed over for their first try. Later, Priddis combined to put Nightingale over in the right corner.

Elsewhere, the Titans need to make good reads on opposition fullback Darius Boyd (29 tackle-breaks, five try assists). He as much as any player is the fulcrum of their left-side attack. His pet play is the double cut-out, giving Morris a passage on the outside of opposition wingers ? he did it last week for Morris? first try. But he can also suck in the outside defenders and go himself ? as he did last week ? setting up long-range attacking raids and four-pointers.

The history: Played 6; Dragons 5, Titans 1. A formidable advantage to the visitors ? although the two games to date at this venue have been close encounters. The most recent time they met the Titans won 28-24, while the Dragons won the only other clash at Skilled Park 26-22 in 2008.

Conclusion: This is one of those games where home ground advantage comes into play.

The Dragons have been ultra-impressive, and if they were at full strength it would be difficult to tip against them. While they have some strong back-up available, at some time inexperience and a lack of depth is likely to tell. The errors will mount, the crowd will lift, and the Titans will steam home.

Go the home side by six.

Match officials: Referees ? Tony Archer & Jason Robinson; Sideline Officials ? Steve Chiddy & Gavin Morris; Video Ref ? Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports ? Delayed 1am.

* Stats: NRL Stats.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Default Scrooge NRL won't spoil Priddis party

SALARY cap auditor Ian Schubert may have cleared the Gold Coast Titans of rorting but he almost spoilt the party for Dragons hooker Luke Priddis.

The veteran rake will celebrate 300 first grade games when he runs out for St George Illawarra at Skilled Park but he's had to dig into his own pockets to get his family to the Gold Coast after the NRL knocked on the head a plan for the Dragons to pick up the tab.

"St George Illawarra asked the NRL whether they could pay the fares up there but it was a case of Fuifui Moimoi in that it would have had to be included under the salary cap," said Priddis, clearly hurt by the league's `scrooge' mentality.

"That's a little bit disappointing to think that there's not too many blokes that have played 300 games that they might have made an exception.

"But at the end of the day I'll pay the cash and have the family up there and hopefully we'll get away with a win and have a good weekend."

And it won't be just wife Holly and their four children: Steven, Cooper, Amber and Kaia in the Priddis camp.

His dad Michael and mum Patricia will also make the trip as the Dubbo-born hooker brings up the triple ton after stints at the Raiders (1997-98), Broncos (1999-01), Panthers (2002-08) and now Dragons (2009-10).

The 'have boots will travel' mentality taking him up and down the east coast and bringing with it Test honours and State of Origin jumpers for the Blues.

"It's just part and parcel of the business of football these days I suppose,'' said Priddis of the four-club career.

"When I first started with Canberra I thought I would have been a one-club man but that wasn't to be. I only lasted two years there and got the flick but I've just been privileged to play this long.

"I didn't think I'd get to 300 after the episodes of last year but I suppose the big fella upstairs is shining a bit of light on me and I finally got there," said Priddis.

The 'episodes' Priddis talks about are his axing to park football with the Dragons feeder club Shellharbour and getting the tap on the shoulder from coach Wayne Bennett to pull the pin. He resisted and inspired by park footballers who play purely for the love of the game he fought his way back.

"I always thought I was good enough to still be playing first grade this year," said Priddis, who's back in the top grade after Nathan Fien suffered an ankle injury in the season opener.

"I mean bad luck to 'Fiensy' with injury but that's part and parcel of the game. I think I've shown over the last couple of weeks I'm still good enough to be playing footy and playing some good footy."

He'll wind back the clock tonight when he tackles his one-time apprentice in Gold Coast Titans hooker Nathan Friend.

Priddis was Top Dog at the Broncos when Friend was his understudy with Brisbane's then feeder club Toowoomba.

"I think he did have a little mullet back in those days too," said Priddis of Friend, who like himself had to get on his bike to make the top grade with Brisbane and Melbourne before getting the job at the Titans.

"A lot of players come through the great clubs and they've had (bits of) success for that club means that even if players can't stay there they can get their rewards by getting picked up by another club.

"I mean `Friendy' has done that by going to Melbourne and now he's probably one of the key players up there at the Gold Coast at the moment."

Despite the experience Priddis will take into tonight's game he says the Dragons will be underdogs against the Titans.

"They should by all rights be starting favourites," he said.

"They beat Melbourne last week which was something we couldn't do the week before and we've got probably three to four blokes out with injury so they're going to be starting on a high."

Priddis just wants to finish on one in what's shaping as a special night but despite the 300-game mark he says the celebrations can wait until the final whistle.

"If you go out there thinking about personal goals and achievements well you've half lost it already."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Hahaha u got to be kidding me right.......

I see the Dragons as one of our msst hated arch nemesis'. So I look forward to destroying them tonight.

I'd better get ready, gotta hit Bunnings to get some sticks for my Mead banner.

SEE YOU AT THE GAME! There are still tickets left, for those that wanna rock up. Just make sure you wear blue, gold and white!

Banned

horrible record we have against dragons but i rekon we'll get the points 2nite.

Well after taking a bit of a break from these forums (after having a ridiculous rant about Titans/Bird) I'm back. I've been really impressed with him so far, and it's great to see him staying out of the 'bad side' of the media, good on him.

Regarding tonight's game, I'm pretty confident, however the main thing I'm worried about is one man - Brett Morris. We need to contain the guy, the Dragons LOVE the long pass down to him so we need to be aware of this and shut him down. Anyway looking forward to what hopefully will be a great game!

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101 View Post
    Well after taking a bit of a break from these forums (after having a ridiculous rant about Titans/Bird) I'm back. I've been really impressed with him so far, and it's great to see him staying out of the 'bad side' of the media, good on him.

Regarding tonight's game, I'm pretty confident, however the main thing I'm worried about is one man - Brett Morris. We need to contain the guy, the Dragons LOVE the long pass down to him so we need to be aware of this and shut him down. Anyway looking forward to what hopefully will be a great game!
    Glad to have you back.

Banned

damn dragons and titans are both penalised heaps and theres heaps of drop ball.

Half Time Dragons 6 (cooper Try,Soward goal, soward 0/1 field goals
    Titans 0

Banned

titans are ****, they suck so bad, tagatese is the only one with some flair, and our defense sucks

Banned

horrible, bird threw about 5 forwards passes. the defense sucked, the offense sucked even more and rogers is probably out for a while. lucky prince is back next week. This game gave me a headache