Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Titans make it perfect three against Raiders
    Mitchell Craig & Adam Gardini

The Jestar Gold Coast Titans have made it three wins on the trot by defeating the Canberra Raiders in a grinding 24-4 victory in front of a crowd of 11,521 at Skilled Park this evening.

In a match that was as scrappy as it was entertaining at times, the Jetstar Titans led 24-nil before a late try to Canberra took some of the gloss off the result.

The win keeps the Jetstar Titans up the top of the NRL after three rounds of the competition ahead of next week's Queensland derby against North Queensland in Townsville.

Outside backs Joseph Tomane, Kevin Gordon and David Mead were all rewarded with tries while some strong individual efforts by Greg Bird and Nathan Friend late in the second half helped the Jetstar Titans over the line.

“We weren’t as clinical in attack as we’d like to be but defensively we were very good,” said Titans coach John Cartwright.

“A couple of things didn’t go our way but we competed all night.

“We played better with the ball and in all the little areas of the game that the boys pride themselves in which was good.”

Jetstar Titans captain Scott Prince said the intensity of the performance was the key for the Gold Coast.

“We had a good week at training with minimal drop ball,” said Prince.

“There was a bit of drop ball tonight but the intensity was there which was pleasing.

“We got a lot repeat sets and broke the Raiders down to the point where it was just a matter of them running out of juice late in the second half.”

The Titans showed some glimpsed of their usual attacking flare as flamboyant wingers Gordon and Mead scored a try a piece within minutes of each other.

The first came from a clever Nathan Friend penalty tap that got the Titans in ideal field position as two plays later a sneaky short side play saw second rower Mark Minichiello throw a beautiful pass to Gordon to score in the corner.

The free flowing style of attack continued as Mead found himself in the perfect position taking a pop pass from Tomane just minutes later to further the Titans lead.

The Raiders got into the contest too late as winger Daniel Vidot scored conciliation try in the corner in the final moments of play.

Earlier the Titans opened their account through a Scott Prince penalty kick in the 6th minute giving the Titans a 2-0 lead.

They did well in the opening exchanges as lock Ashley Harrison was a late withdrawal with a back injury in the warm up.

His replacement had an immediate impact as big Sam Tagataese led well up front with some enterprising carries and solid defence.

The Titans were dynamic in attack for the opening 20 minutes with a try coming from some good go forward and slick ball skills as Prince crashed over.

He converted his own try giving the Titans an 8-0 lead, in the 19th minute.

The Titans eventually muscled up as a brilliant cut out pass from five-eighth Greg Bird saw centre Joseph Tomane score a try out wide, with Prince converting to extend the lead to 14-0, in the 58th minute.

Gold Coast Titans 24(S Prince, J Tomane, K Gordon, D Mead tries; Prince 4 goals) defeated the Canberra Raiders 4 (D Vidot try)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Look at Gordons try compared to meads? 20 mtrs compared to length of the field. Mead did the absolute right thing gunning it, he had him for pace easy and was only just cut down. He looked around and by the time Prince would have got there it would have been way too late. Watch the reply and you will see. Rogers has told Mead that if he gets into space to gun it and back himself.

Titans are on song for a great year, it is evident that team work is coming together nicely.
    Sorry to disagree, Mead could have passed it. He should have headed down the middle and drew the raiders fullback. Prince was there. It happened in front of me. Even heading toward the sideline he could have thrown it inside to Prince. But I ain't bagging the guy, he thought he could beat the fullback and he was wrong. Sh1t happens...On another note, I thought we played the best 40 minutes I have seen for a long time (first 30 anyways)..Very very entertaining.

I do agree about us being on song for a great year. Some stuff was gelling out there for sure and can only get better.

He was well supported, would have been a certain try. Hopefully David will next time because he is going to get a stack more opportunities. But I have to admit, I backed him and didn't think Dugan would pursue him with such speed and vigor. A big play.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea Teke, you can't really blame a winger for backing himself and pinning his ears back. More often than not we complain that they don't. Luck will go Mead's way next time. It was unfortunate.
    As soon as we saw him into gap our house went crazy. Big crowds want sizzling stuff. Jennings, Inglis, Matty Bowen and our wingers to name a few bring the crowds to their feet when they touch the ball. Kevvy and Divvy should always back themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Sorry to disagree, Mead could have passed it. He should have headed down the middle and drew the raiders fullback. Prince was there. It happened in front of me. Even heading toward the sideline he could have thrown it inside to Prince. But I ain't bagging the guy, he thought he could beat the fullback and he was wrong. Sh1t happens...On another note, I thought we played the best 40 minutes I have seen for a long time (first 30 anyways)..Very very entertaining.

I do agree about us being on song for a great year. Some stuff was gelling out there for sure and can only get better.
    Yeah I know you aint bagging him. The whole passage of play was great.

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    wasn't impressed again tonight, bird to lock for next game and more ball to backs especially tomane with 3 tries in 3 games.
    In your dreams.... he is just starting to click with Prince & the backs give him a few more games & they'll be classed as the best halves combo in the NRL

Watch the game again & u will see Taga put in the clear off a great pass from Bird & Tomane scored of a Bird cutout pass ... not really a locks play

I'll give Mathews a bit of a rap too , last year i thought he was no where near a 1st grader but this season he looks right at home
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post

I'll give Mathews a bit of a rap too , last year i thought he was no where near a 1st grader but this season he looks right at home
    Agree totally Mathews was great for us, some of the stuff he did off the ball will go unnoticed to many, but the coach sure as hell wont miss it, good stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Jesus you mob are hard to please, how bout you fork out your hard earned cash and get to the game before bagging a performance like that
    here here , i`m getting sick of all these armchair critics that u never see at a game,get of ur ****s and get to the game and scream and shout and support the boys.

Agree totally Mathews was great for us, some of the stuff he did off the ball will go unnoticed to many, but the coach sure as hell wont miss it, good stuff
    He did some good cover defence too, people forget how quick he is. I recall him going length of the field to score in the u20's, against Newcastle I believe.

Junior Titan

Can't say im really suprised by that result to be honest...I thought we might have been in with a shot after that first half, but....lol, man it's going to be a long season for us.

Well done guys

i am very suprised by the result.. i should've been MUCH MUCH more
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by helcam4 View Post
    here here , i`m getting sick of all these armchair critics that u never see at a game,get of ur ****s and get to the game and scream and shout and support the boys.
    well unfortunately i can't get to EVERY game and i have a HD tv, i will however try to get to the storm,broncos and roosters games this year.

Meyers had a massive game, made almost 180mtrs going forward.

Jesus you mob are hard to please, how bout you fork out your hard earned cash and get to the game before bagging a performance like that
    Like the other I agree.

Rogers has told Mead that if he gets into space to gun it and back himself.
    And good on him for giving it a crack. I always love to see wingers back themselves even if it doesn't work out every time. I thought he was round him there for a second. It was very close.

Kevvy and Divvy should always back themselves.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    In your dreams.... he is just starting to click with Prince & the backs give him a few more games & they'll be classed as the best halves combo in the NRL

Watch the game again & u will see Taga put in the clear off a great pass from Bird & Tomane scored of a Bird cutout pass ... not really a locks play
    I thought Bird was awesome as well and is starting to warm into the 5/8 spot at the Titans quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

ill give him 2 games to see where bird will play hes looking better but
    next against cowboys their coming off big loss so theyll have somthing to prove but titans have a little more with a great team starting to gel and a time for revenge from big preseason loss and especially our home game loss to them will be big inspiration i can see us coming from behind to win in a close one