Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Titans plan bomb blitz

THE Gold Coast Titans are planning an aerial ambush against the Raiders as they aim to bomb the Green Machine's rookie back three into oblivion at Skilled Park tonight.

Statistics obtained by The Bulletin show Canberra have managed to defuse just one of the eight bombs fired at their line in the opening two rounds of the 2010 season.

The reconnaissance has not gone unnoticed by Gold Coast coach John Cartwright, who yesterday hinted Canberra's 19-year-old fullback Josh Dugan, 21-year-old winger James Stuart and 20-year-old fellow flyer Daniel Vidot could be in for a rough night.

Asked if the inexperienced Raiders -- who boast just 25 NRL games between them -- should expect to be tested, Cartwright replied: "You want the rest of the game plan too? We have done our homework on the Raiders and like anyone else they will get attacked where we think we can get most benefit."

The Titans are not known for regularly going to the air to score tries and have somewhat shelved the practice since jumping winger Jordan Rapana left to serve his Mormon mission last season.

But with the addition of new recruit Greg Bird -- who has a mean-looking spiral bomb in his ****nal -- and with young wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead now finding their feet in first grade, the tactic looks set to be revived.

While the composure of the Raiders' back three under the high ball has been exposed as a weakness, Titans centre Mat Rogers believes the dynamic young trio also present their share of challenges.

"They are playing with that youthful exuberance," said Rogers.

"They are fearless and they can be as dangerous as anybody.

"I don't think they are a weakness at all to be honest.

"They are going to rely on those guys to get out of trouble and get on the front foot. We are going to have our hands full, there is no doubt about it."

Rogers found himself a target of the Rabbitohs last week, missing six tackles on his left side of the defensive line. He is expecting Canberra to direct much of their traffic towards his edge but warned the Raiders he would be prepared.

"Some basic fundamental errors on my behalf let a couple of tries in last week, so I am definitely looking to make amends for that," said Rogers.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast 'grafters' could miscue: Cartwright

Punters' favourites Gold Coast are only a couple of miscues away from their first defeat of the season when the Canberra Raiders visit Skilled Park tonight, says Titans coach John Cartwright.

The home team was yesterday a $1.35 favourite to send the southerners home empty handed but Cartwright said the Titans were paying the Raiders more respect than the punters were.

"It's nice to know that people think that of us, but we're not a side that can drop the ball in any area,'' he said.

"We're a team of grafters. We work hard and do the little things well. Whenever we don't do that, we struggle no matter who we play.

"So that's something we've just got to keep ramming home. Sometimes you get a reminder of that. (We got) a little reminder of that in patches last week (against the Rabbitohs). We've got to try to limit the amount of times that happens.''

Among the guilty last week was centre Mat Rogers, whose defensive lapses cost the Titans two tries and led to an overtime thriller, which the Titans eventually won on a Scott Prince field goal.

After training yesterday, Rogers put his hand up and said he was keen to atone for the errors, but he conceded the energetic Raiders would not make life easy for him tonight.

"I was pretty ordinary,'' he said. "Just basic, fundamental errors on my behalf was what let a couple of tries in last week.

"I'm looking to make amends on that. I know that centre runs a great line and with (Bronson) Harrison down our edge as well we're going to have our hands full.

"I just missed a couple of tackles last week and if I make those we win the game comfortably.''

The Titans will welcome back fullback Preston Campbell, who sat out last week's game after suffering a head knock in the season opener against the Warriors.

Campbell's inclusion gives the Titans another option in attack and the Gold Coast could need all the firepower they can muster.

Fuelled by youth and a victory over the Brisbane Broncos on Monday night, the Raiders, led by five-eighth Terry Campese, could fancy themselves in a potential gunfight at Robina.

And Rogers said the confidence of youth made playmakers like halfback Josh McCrone and fullback Josh Dugan particularly dangerous.

"They're fearless. They can be as dangerous as anybody,'' he said.

"I don't think (youth) is a weakness at all. I think it's a strength because they are going to rely on those guys to get on the front foot and we are going to have our hands full, there's no doubt about it. They're confident, they had a good win last week.

"(McCrone) is a great young halfback. He's confident. A couple of tries last week, so he's going to bounce into this game full of energy and enthusiasm.

"They've got a number of players that can do anything. Their fullback Dugan, he's a great talent as well, so we have to keep our eyes on a lot of players.''

Cartwright said speculation homesick Coast native Ben Hannant could come to the Titans as part of a player swap was "typical of blowing something out of proportion.''

The coach didn't rule out the Bulldogs forward joining the Titans next year, but said a mid-season move was out of the question.

"If the man does a deal with us next year, that's next year,'' he said. "Player swaps and all that sort of rubbish are not going to happen.''

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Wow! 25 in and the boys are playing awesome.

Banned

i almost want the titans to lose, are they brain damaged give it to TOMANE

Banned

mead should have passed it, titans dont know how to use the backline, its getting ridiculous

mead is fast and stuff, but lacks that footy brain i rkn, look at gordon's try. he jsut did an simple in and away allowing him to score, where as mead just gunned it and went for it... all he needed to do was stand him up for a sec and he had him, but yeh, should of passed

Banned

wasn't impressed again tonight, bird to lock for next game and more ball to backs especially tomane with 3 tries in 3 games.

Why was Sam off for so long? He was brilliant.

Jesus you mob are hard to please, how bout you fork out your hard earned cash and get to the game before bagging a performance like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Just got home at 12:05am Sunday. Well happy with how the boys played, vast improvement. Also alot of things didnt fall our way. And hopefully we can rub out those mistakes and we will improve further.

Shame we let that try in but we showed tremendous defence throughout the match. I havent seen a replay but didnt believe they deserved the new set of 6 on which they scored.

I banked the points from Mead's break. Well done to Duggan for running him down, next time look for support.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Jesus you mob are hard to please, how bout you fork out your hard earned cash and get to the game before bagging a performance like that
    Just thinking the exact same thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    mead is fast and stuff, but lacks that footy brain i rkn, look at gordon's try. he jsut did an simple in and away allowing him to score, where as mead just gunned it and went for it... all he needed to do was stand him up for a sec and he had him, but yeh, should of passed
    Look at Gordons try compared to meads? 20 mtrs compared to length of the field. Mead did the absolute right thing gunning it, he had him for pace easy and was only just cut down. He looked around and by the time Prince would have got there it would have been way too late. Watch the reply and you will see. Rogers has told Mead that if he gets into space to gun it and back himself.

Titans are on song for a great year, it is evident that team work is coming together nicely.

Also this was the first time in our club's history we have started the season THREE WINS IN A ROW.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Also this was the first time in our club's history we have started the season THREE WINS IN A ROW.
    Minor Premiers

Yea Teke, you can't really blame a winger for backing himself and pinning his ears back. More often than not we complain that they don't. Luck will go Mead's way next time. It was unfortunate.