Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

thank you everyone for the scoop on the Raiders, I appreciate it. I finished up watching their game with Brisbane, and I must say, they looked pretty solid for a good portion except when the Broncos made that charge late.

I look forward to a good game.

It seems to me that the Titans have tons of depth that we can use to our advantage. I was talking to my friend a Manly fan who asked "So who lost their spot so Zillman could step in?" When I told him Riley Brown he said "Wow, Brown would make a lot of teams 17. That speaks highly about the Gold Coast." He is really loves NRL, so I took his word for it.

Hopefully this weekend goes well for us. GO TITANS!
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

More giant tasks to help Croker become great: Campese

Jarrod Croker could be one of the greatest centres in Raiders' history, says teammate Terry Campese. Photo: Getty Images

In just 23 games Jarrod Croker has done enough to convince Raiders five-eighth Terry Campese he'll be remembered as one of the Green Machine's greatest centres.

Considering the Raiders have been blessed with the likes of Queensland great Mal Meninga and 300-gamer Jason Croker, it's some rap.

But it's one Campese reckoned the laid-back 19-year-old from Goulburn thoroughly deserved.

"He's going to be up there with the greatest centres the club's seen," Campese said ahead of Saturday night's round three clash with the Gold Coast Titans.

"He's still only a young bloke and has a lot to learn and he's already playing some great football for the club.

"He's got a level head on his shoulders and improving his game."

That's the key word improvement.

By his own admission Croker has started slow out of the blocks in 2010.

In last Monday's win over the Brisbane Broncos, Croker was given a stern working over defensively.

The second-year prodigy missed six tackles in all as the Broncos ran big bopper Sam Thaiday at him all night long.

"Big Sam Thaiday, he was tough to handle," Croker said.

"Every time he got near me he kept stepping on my toe.

"I don't think it was on purpose, but he's definitely tough to handle.

"He's got a good offload, hit and spin, so he was tough."

Croker's teammates have stood by him every step of the way, none more so than Campese. The former NSW playmaker made an astounding 42 tackles in the vital 24-16 victory over the Broncos while falling off just four.

Croker is yet to open his tryscoring account for the season, a hunger he's craving to satisfy this weekend."I haven't had a lot of ball really, I need to get more involved," he said."My defence has been sort of solid, but it's got room for improvement as well.

"Hopefully get some more ball and get some meat pies on board."

Every week Croker has faced a formidable direct opponent.

In the four games so far, two of which were pre-season trials, he's already given away size and strength to Jamal Idris, Michael Jennings and Israel Folau.

The task doesn't get any easier this week against a bulked-up Joseph Tomane.

Tipping the scales at an imposing 101kg, the Titans recruit often took two or three South Sydney defenders with him in an impressive display last Friday.

The pair had previously met in the National Youth Competition when Tomane was at the Storm.

"It's another big one, he's put on a lot of weight over the off-season," Croker said.

Meanwhile, former Queensland representative Adam Mogg was yesterday a step closer to rejoining the Raiders after the club confirmed he had been released from his contract with the Catalans Dragons.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner hoped to have the 32-year-old signed for the rest of the season by the end of the week.

The Raiders had extra reason to celebrate, with membership numbers passing the 6000-barrier for the first time.

That easily eclipses the previous best of 4815 set last year.

Canberra Times
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Banned

umm jarod croker won't be one of the best centres of all time unless he puts inglis and folou and tomane on their ****s.

Titans v Raiders Preview
    Skilled Park - Saturday 8.30pm (Qld time)

Can the Gold Coast remain undefeated, or will the Raiders make it two Queensland scalps in succession?

Most would answer in the Titans? favour as they gear up to take on Canberra, but one thing about the Raiders is their unpredictability ? they can knock you off a pedestal if you?re not careful.

Sure, the Titans are near unbeatable at home and will take deserved favouritism into this match but Canberra will fancy themselves against a side whose two wins are masking obvious inadequacies.

A late home win against the Warriors and a golden point win over the Rabbitohs is hardly form to write home about; the Titans will need to show improvement to keep the win column growing while the loss column contains a duck egg.

They welcome back Preston Campbell at fullback with William Zillman moving to the bench against his former club and Riley Brown missing out.

The Raiders come off a gritty 22-14 win against the Broncos, a result that lifted them from last to 12th on the ladder.

They have kept the same side for the match with the only change being David Shillington named to start for Dane Tilse after they reversed roles last Monday night.

Shaun Fensom, the young tyro second-rower has escaped suspension with an early guilty plea and will keep his place in the side.

Watch out Titans: The Raiders are sending most of their traffic to the right side in attack, so the Gold Coast?s left-side defenders better be on their games.

Six of Canberra?s seven tries scored so far this season have been on the right side of the field and the Titans have conceded four of six tries in the same area. This will be enough of an invitation for David Furner to spend the week fine-tuning his side?s plays with a focus on the right edges.

Look for the edge-running Green Machine forwards to target the fringes on the right before getting a quick-play-the-ball to hit the ?keep going? into the corners.

They may also opt for the ?double shift? ? that is, send the ball far left before turning around and going far right in successive tackles to have the defenders scrambling.

Watch out Raiders: The Titans plan to launch a bombing raid should they not breach the line before the last tackle.

In the opening two matches Canberra has only successfully defused one of eight bombs launched against them, for a dismal 14 per cent success rate. With a young and inexperienced back three, the Raiders are subject to targeting and both Scott Prince and Greg Bird have the ability to hoof the ball quite high.

Preston Campbell also has an impressive bomb in his bag of tricks. Sound the air raid alarm!

Where it will be won: Possession. There is no way the Raiders will be given the luxury afforded them by Brisbane last Monday. The Broncos had 59 per cent of the ball in the match but still found a way to lose.

If Prince and co are given the same amount of time with the ball, it will be good night nurse!

A 53 per cent completion rate this week will likely turn into a 20-point loss, so error-free football is called for.

So far in 2010 the Raiders have 31 errors while the Titans are only slightly better with 28 errors. Both coaches will be stressing the basic philosophy of completions and building pressure. It?s a ploy that has worked for the Melbourne Storm for four years and the Dragons are backing up last year?s minimal-error season with another ? with great early success.

The Raiders will look to target the likes of Luke Bailey to force an error (he has a loose carry), while the Titans will put plenty of pressure on the Raiders? young players in the heat of battle.

The History: Played 6; Titans 3, Raiders 3. The two teams have split results since the Gold Coast entered the competition ? but all wins have come on home turf.

Canberra are yet to beat the Titans on the holiday strip, with the average score being 25-10.

Conclusion: It would take a brave person to tip against the Titans at home ? but they haven?t looked impressive this year, despite notching two wins.

Countering that, they come up against a Raiders team who have been pretty dismal in both opening games, even though they managed to win one.

Take the easy way out and tick the Gold Coast on your form ? at least you know you?ll be with the majority whatever the result.

Match officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Grant Atkins & Luke Phillips; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Delayed 9.30pm (AEDT).

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans want 80 minute effort against Raiders
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans centre Mat Rogers has called on his side to replace ?patchy? football with a sustained 80 minute effort in Saturday night?s clash against Canberra at Skilled Park.

The Jetstar Titans have scored two narrow wins over Souths and the Warriors to open their account for 2010 despite not playing at their best during the first two rounds.

However, Rogers said his side could not afford to keep playing patchy football and would have to produce an 80 minute effort if they wanted to keep their unbeaten record in-tact to start 2010 against a dangerous Raiders outfit.

?It?s not about doing it for the first 20 minutes, it?s about doing it for the whole 80,?? said Rogers.

?You can?t play patchy football and expect to win. We?ve got away with a couple but we know if we continue to play like that we?re not going to figure too much when the whips are cracking.

?We know what we need to do ? we?re not going to go out there and play for 20 minutes and hope that?s enough. We?ve just got to do it for the entire game.??

The Raiders head into the match full of confidence having scored a 22-14 win over the Brisbane Broncos last Monday night.

Rogers said with Canberra halfback Josh McCrone and fullback Josh Dugan firing on all cylinders, the Titans would have to be on their guard against the visitors.

?Canberra played really well on Monday night. They can do anything with the ball and can beat anyone on their night,?? he said.

?I think they?re confident, they had a good win last week and they?re going to want to prove all the pundits wrong about their away record and I think it?s going to be a real tight match.''

Rogers will again line-up in the centres against the Raiders and the dual-international said he was determined to atone for what he described as a below par defensive effort against the Rabbitohs last weekend.

?I was pretty ordinary last week but we?ll get it right this week,?? he said.

?Just some basic fundamental errors on my behalf is what let a couple of tries in last week so I?m definitely looking to make amends on that.

?I just missed a couple of tackles last week ? if I make those tackles we win comfortably.??

Rogers? partner in crime in the Titans? three-quarter line Joseph Tomane has been quick to make an impact at his new club, with two tries in as many games including a man-of-the-match performance against the Rabbitohs.

Veteran Rogers said 20-year-old Tomane had the potential ?to be anything?.

?He?s a big boy, he?s 108kg, and he can move like the best of them that I?ve seen ? his footwork is pretty special,?? he said.

?Doing some opposed stuff with him at training it certainly keeps you on your toes.

?He?s just an exciting player of the future I think. I know Melbourne would have been very disappointed to lose him but we?ve got him and he?s doing some great things at the minute.??

http://www.titans.com.au/

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

OMG TOMANE IS AWESOME GONNA CHANGE MY SIGNITURE TO MAKE IT TO TOMANE

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

so your ditching gordon now....good on ya.....

Quote Originally Posted by quinn loves titans View Post
    OMG TOMANE IS AWESOME GONNA CHANGE MY SIGNITURE TO MAKE IT TO TOMANE
    Haha yeah, I've been looking for a decent photo to play around with a Tomane Sig, but I'm not ready to drop my friend sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Gotta wake up at 5.15am to get ready to catch a bus to the airport at 6:00am plane leaves at 8:45am arrives at golld coast 9:10am get to hotel 10:00am...Sleep till 4pm head to skilled park for gates at 6:00 Watch The titans smack the crap out of the nations capital canberra raiders......See you all there

Return of the cavalry: Learoyd-Lahrs, Mogg, Milne back on Raiders' radar

At full-flight Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is one of the most damaging edge runners in the NRL. But the bullocking Canberra back-rower is unlikely to show that against the Gold Coast tonight, with coach David Furner leaning towards easing him back via the Queensland Cup.

Learoyd-Lahrs brushed off concerns about his injured left knee to participate in the Raiders' captain's run yesterday before travelling with his teammates.

But while Furner admitted Learoyd-Lahrs would be a handy addition, he said the NSW forward probably wasn't quite ready to return.

''He still hasn't had a full week of training,'' Furner said. ''He might be someone that needs a little bit of game time and a bit of confidence.

''He might get a little bit of game time for Souths Logan, they play on the Sunday. It's been a bit stop-start for him at the start of the year and Tommy is someone that needs to be on the field. He's such a powerful player that he needs game time to improve.''

If Learoyd-Lahrs plays he won't start the match. Joe Picker and Bronson Harrison trained in the back row yesterday after putting in solid performances during Monday's defeat of Brisbane.

Both will need to be at their best against the Titans' mobile forward unit, which took care of South Sydney's heavyweight pack last week.

''They mightn't have the size that we have, but they countered that last week against Souths,'' Furner said. ''They're very dangerous around the ball and very aggressive in defence.''

The Raiders have lost all three of their games on the Gold Coast since the Titans joined the NRL in 2007.

Furner said his team's completion rate would need to be much higher than the abysmal 54 per cent it dished up against the Broncos.

Meanwhile, former Queensland winger Adam Mogg will rejoin the Raiders on Monday, a day after fellow outside back David Milne returns to the field after nine months out.

The return of the experienced duo will give Furner a welcomed selection headache after his back line had been rocked by injuries to star duo Joel Monaghan and Justin Carney.

Mogg has finally gained a release from French club Catalans.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner said the addition of Mogg was a welcome boost to a back line high on talent but low on experience.

The 32-year-old played 81 games for the Raiders between 2003 and 2006 before linking with Catalans.

He scored three tries in two appearances for Queensland in 2006.

''He spent a lot of time here before, he knows a lot of the guys, he's a professional and he's very experienced,'' Furner said.

''We lost him as a State of Origin player and we did not want to lose him. He went for the lifestyle and probably a better financial package over there. He's had that, he's had two children over there and he thinks Canberra is a great place to bring up kids so he is happy to move back here.''

The Raiders have only signed Mogg until the end of the season. He provides ideal cover for Monaghan, whose broken thumb will keep him out until at least round 10, and Carney, who is sidelined indefinitely as he attempts to recover from the badly broken leg he suffered last year.

Furner said the Raiders would be open to extending Mogg's stay providing he produced.

''If he is keen and he plays well I'm sure Dave will sit down and have a chat to him about another year,'' he said.

''But that will be up to him. For now he's just happy to get back to Australia, but [extending his contract] is definitely a possibility.''

Milne has overcome a chronic groin injury that had prevented him from playing since last June.

The 24-year-old will line up at fullback for Souths Logan tomorrow and is hopeful he can force his way back into the Raiders' top side.

Milne has played the majority of his 45 NRL games at fullback, but with Josh Dugan a permanent fixture in the Raiders' No.1 jersey his best chance of returning to the team is on the wing.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Titans threatened by 'freakish' Raiders

Gold Coast have dismissed their hot favourites tag, labelling Saturday night's youthful rivals Canberra a team with some freakish attacking players.

Canberra overcame an ordinary completion rate to outplay Brisbane 22-14 on Monday night and veteran centre Mat Rogers and coach John Cartwright both believe they are a side capable of beating anyone on their day.

Even with inspirational Preston Campbell returning from a head knock, Rogers said the Raiders, who have never won at Skilled Park, pose a genuine threat to the Titans' unbeaten start to 2010.

Rogers is wary of players like lightning quick 19-year-old fullback Josh Dugan, halfback Josh McCrone, utility Joel Thompson and Kiwi international Bronson Harrison, running off creative five-eighth David Campese.

"Canberra can do anything with the ball, they can beat anyone on their night, we know that," said Rogers.

"I see we're red hot favourites, but we don't feel like that.

"The likes of Campese and Thompson on my edge, (Bronson) Harrison, they're just playing some really great football.

"Campo is a freak of a player, he can do anything.

"McCrone is a great young halfback, they've got a number of players that can do anything, including their young fullback Dugan, he's a great talent.

"They're playing with a youthful exuberance and that can be as dangerous as anybody."

Rogers, who scored the match-winning try in the corresponding fixture at Skilled Park last year, bagged himself for fundamental errors that let in a few tries against Souths last weekend in the Titans' 19-18 win.

"I was pretty ordinary (defensively) last week," said the dual international.

"I let a couple of tries in last week and I'm definitely looking to make amends for that.

"If I make those tackles, we win the game comfortably."

Rogers said it would be great having Campbell back on deck against the dangerous Raiders.

"He's super, he's been bouncing around at training all week," he said of the livewire fullback.

"We're all looking forward to having him back out on the field, he's just such an inspiration for all of us."

Cartwright said his side couldn't afford to drop off in any department against the Raiders.

"We're not a side who can drop the ball in any area, we're a team of grafters and whenever we don't do the little things well, we struggle no matter who we play," he said.

He also said too much was being expected of halfback Scott Prince every week.

"Prance is probably someone we expect too much from," he said.

"Everyone compares him to (Johnathan) Thurston but he's a totally different player to Thurston.

"We play with a bit more structure and if that structure's not there we look to him and say why?

"He's got a lot of pressure on his shoulders."

http://www.news.com.au

Harrison says control the answer for Raiders

Raiders back rower Bronson Harrison says ball control is the key to securing a win against the Titans, when they take them on at Skilled Park on Saturday night.

After a sloppy second half against the Broncos on Monday night the Raiders will be looking to make sure they complete more sets with the ball this week and get themselves into better attacking position.

Harrison said the Titans have yet to play their best footy this season and expects a tough contest, but said the Raiders will be up to the challenge.

“They’ve got a very good team and they’ve been winning games without playing at their best and if they put it together it will be a tough game, but we’re confident and it should be a good game.”

The Raiders will be looking to get themselves more opportunity with the ball in hand against the Titans and Harrison said ball control and the short turn around from Monday will present the biggest challenges.

“We need to work on our ball control, last week against the Broncos we made 100 more tackles than them and it can hurt you when you’re trying to conserve energy for attack,” he said. “Everyone’s fine though from Monday, there are a few bumps and bruises but we’ll get through it and hopefully we’ll be able to win.”

The Green Machine looked at their best against the Broncos when they threw the ball around early in the contest and Harrison said he expects more of the same if the Raiders big men lay the same platform they have been.

“Our big forwards in the middle have done the job for us in the first two games and that allows us to get some second phase play and create some space out wide,” he said. “Hopefully we can hold the ball and complete our sets and that can see us get some better chances with the ball.”

http://www.raiders.com.au

Titans out to get Campese in clash

Gold Coast captain Scott Prince believes shutting down the multi-faceted game of Raiders five-eighth Terry Campese will go a long way to the Titans recording their third-straight win of the NRL season tomorrow night.

The Raiders are out to claim their second win of the season and first at Skilled Park, but it will be a tough task against the undefeated Titans.

Prince looms as the danger man for the Raiders, after he slotted the winning field goal during the Titans' 19-18 golden-point extra-time victory against South Sydney last week.

The crafty halfback said his team was wary of the attacking influence of Campese, who he roomed with during Australia's 2008 World Cup campaign. Prince said the Titans couldn't afford to ''play [Campese] into form''.

''Campo is a danger man in any team and especially for the Raiders,'' Prince said.

''He's playing reasonably confident at the moment and we just don't want to play him into form.

''He's a big guy, he's hard to handle, he can throw a long pass and he's got a very good kicking game as well.

''I think our back three is going to have to be on their toes, hopefully stopping some 40/20s, which I know Campo loves having a crack at.

''Even in our defensive line, he's big enough that we're going to have to be on our toes to stop him because he's over 100kg.''

Campese has had a solid start to the season.

He made an impressive 42 tackles during Monday night's tough 22-14 win against the Brisbane Broncos.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

nup not ditching gordon hes still my favourite but ....
    ok im gonna make a song for the best player of the round

Titans must stop trend of slow starts

DUAL international Mat Rogers believes it is crucial the Gold Coast Titans stem the flow of slow starts if they are to pose any genuine threat to the 2010 premiership.

In a worrying trend, the Gold Coast have picked up where they left off at the end of last season by being forced to play catch-up footy to win matches after struggling to find points early.

In each of the final six games last season, including playoff matches against the Broncos and Eels, the Titans trailed after the first 20 minutes.

It was the same against the Warriors in Round 1 a fortnight ago. Last week against Souths, the Bunnies burst out of the blocks with the opening try nine minutes in before the Titans hit back to level by quarter-time.

The Titans were lucky a bit of Preston Campbell magic got them out of jail in the last 10 minutes of the clash with New Zealand, while they had to rely on a field goal in extra-time to beat the Rabbitohs.

"You can't play patchy football and expect to win," said Rogers.

"We have got away with a couple. But we know if we continue to play like that, we are not going to figure too much when the whips are cracking.

"Every team wants to get away to a good start, you want to get ahead on the scoreboard and play consistent football for the entire game. But sometimes it doesn't happen. Mistakes happen.

"But we are not overly concerned. It is not panic stations at the moment."

Of the 26 games they played last season, the Titans were in front or level after the opening 20 minutes just 10 times.

By contrast, premiers Melbourne were level or led after the first 20 minutes in 21 of 27 games.

"We know what we need to do to win," said Rogers.

"The football comes pretty naturally to guys like Princey, Birdy and Presto.

"The football is there, we don't really have to think too much about that. Defence and fundamentals are the key for us."

Unbeaten this season and hunting their third straight win against the Raiders at Robina tonight, Titans coach John Cartwright was not overly concerned by his side's start to their campaign.

"If a couple of balls stick last week and we go 20 points in front, we are probably all going to be talking about how good we are playing," he said.

"But you turn a ball over at a crucial time and get a guy sin binned and they come back into the game, and (critics) say we are not playing that well.

"Form is a week-to-week thing -- as long as your attitude is good and your defensive line is good and you are doing the little things well, I am sure form is a by-product of that."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au