Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Wade McKinnon out of Warriors first NRL game

The Warriors have suffered a blow ahead of their season-opener against the Titans with Wade McKinnon ruled out of the trip to the Gold Coast.

The fullback was only on the bench for Sunday?s match at Skilled Park in Robina but was set to play a major role with his impact in what are expected to be very hot conditions with the 1pm kickoff.

An infection has prevented McKinnon training this week and last night he was ruled out.

Joel Moon, originally part of a five-man bench, is now a confirmed starter on the interchange bench.

The Warriors left Auckland this morning for Brisbane with a squad of 17 players.

A Junior Warriors player will be added to the line-up as 18th man on Sunday following their NYC match against Gold Coast.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/
    they must all be scared to get their ass kicked,kevin locke and maybe tate will have the only decent games on their team.

Friend, ready to fire against the Warriors

Pint size, Titans hooker Nathan Friend is ready to pick up from where he signed off in 2009.

Last years Paul Broughton medal winner, (awarded to the clubs best and fairest player) is one of the countries leading Dream team selections across all NRL fans because he regularly earns bonus points for his immense work load and high tackle count.

The quietly spoken number Nine promises nothing will change as he prepares to kick off his fourth season with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans.

To watch an exclusive interview with Nathan Friend, please click on the Link below,

http://www.titans.com.au/default.asp...ns-tv&vid=3575

There are still plenty of tickets available for Sundays round 1 clash against the Warriors, gates open at 10:40 with Kick off in the main game 1:00pm

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Bird warned to control aggression

FORMER Test and Origin firebrand Mark Geyer has warned Gold Coast Titans recruit Greg Bird to play down his `enforcer' tag and focus on `methodical destruction' as the controversial five-eighth prepares to make his long-awaited NRL comeback.

All eyes will be fixed on Bird when he runs out at Skilled Park in a Gold Coast jumper for the first time against the New Zealand Warriors tomorrow, his first competition game back in Australia since being punted from the Sharks in 2008.

In the wake of his high-profile court case and a forced sabbatical in the UK Super league, the 26-year-old is tipped to unleash 18 months of pent up frustration.

But Geyer urged Bird not to let the emotion of the occasion get the better of him.

"I think he should play down as much as he can being the enforcer and the aggressor because not only will fans be looking out for him, but referees, even if it is subconsciously, will be looking at him as well," said Geyer.

"I think below the radar should be his attitude and he should do his destruction in a methodical way.

"I love the fact that he is back in the NRL. But let's not beat around the bush, all that stuff to do with his girlfriend is going to be a good source of ridicule from opponents.

"Just how much he lets it get under his skin will have a lot to do with how much he helps the Titans have a successful season."

One of the most feared forwards of the late 1980s and 1990s, Geyer said Bird could not afford to be drawn into the expected barrage of on-field sledging and had to rise above the taunts or it would disrupt his game.

"He is the type of five-eighth who intimidates the opposition with his mere presence," said Geyer.

"But again it is how much he ignores the taunts that will determine how well he goes.

"Especially if his team is winning and he is playing a starring role, I think it is inevitable (he will get sledged).

"Maybe not so much from the New Zealand boys, perhaps they have been a bit more oblivious to what has been going on.

"But once he plays the Sydney clubs and away from his home ground, I definitely think the sledging and the taunts will be there.

"He has just got to turn the other cheek. I know it is hard to do, because trust me I have been there.

"But for him to make the complete 180 in his life, he has got to be able to do it."

Former Test and NSW pivot Bird has proved close to the model player since linking with the Titans.

Determined to resurrect his representative career, Bird has also sought out NRL cult hero Wendell Sailor for advice on winning back fans and appears to be doing and saying all the right things.

The reaction of the Skilled Park crowd tomorrow will be a litmus test of how much his early efforts have been successful.

"He is the piece of the jigsaw the Titans have been missing the past couple of years," said Geyer.

"There is no doubt that the three years in the competition they have been a success story but I think to go one step further they need a bloke of the calibre of Bird.

"He could end up playing State of Origin this year if he ticks all the boxes early.

"Out of the three Queensland teams I think they have got the best chance of winning the comp."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Packer plans to 'just do my job'

Warriors prop Russell Packer is not likely to take anybody by surprise this season in the National Rugby League, but that doesn't bother him.

Foxton's top sporting export was one of the finds of the season for the Warriors last year and impressed in his first full year in the NRL, after debuting in late 2008.

An injury to Steve Price has opened the door for Packer to start against the Gold Coast Titans in Queensland tomorrow and he is not worried about the scouting that opposition sides have done on him.

"It doesn't bother me what anyone else thinks," he said. "I'll just go out there and play the best I can.

"Pricey's out this week, which is a lot of experience. I'll just try and take the opportunity, play the best I can and do my job."

The Warriors are also without new captain Simon Mannering and will be led by Micheal Luck, with some of the pre-match talk surrounding what jerseys the teams will wear.

The afternoon Queensland sun is likely to play a part in the game, which kicks off at 1pm local time. The Titans have opted to play in their away strip of white, forcing the Warriors into their black jerseys, which attract more heat.

Such things do not bother former Manawatu College student Packer.

"Everyone knows it's going to be hot," he said. "Everyone's playing on the same field. At the end of the day it's just a jersey. We've got to get out there and just play.

"If you play good enough, the heat won't matter."

Packer spent the off-season trying to work on his fitness.

Last season was a disaster for the Warriors after they were tipped to be title contenders and finished 14th, with comeback king Stacey Jones failing to fire.

They have recruited Australian Brett Seymour, who has a history of off-field issues, to fill the vacant halfback position and Packer said they were ready to perform.

"There's been quite a big turnover of players and quite a few new guys coming in in crucial positions," he said. "Everyone's looking forward to putting last year in the back of their minds.

"We are a new team and we are trying to show that on the field."

Former Warrior Clinton Toopi missed the opportunity to play against his old club when he did not make the match-day squad for the Titans.

Toopi has returned to league this season after a stint playing rugby.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/

Northern exposure for Brown

CUT by both Newcastle and the Sydney Roosters in the space of two years, you would imagine the decision to join the Gold Coast would have been straightforward for Riley Brown. But that would cut short a long, tragic story.

Brown raised his two younger brothers in suburban Newcastle after his father, Ross, was convicted of the murder of his mother, Judith, at Anna Bay 10 years ago. Brown and his brothers have always believed their father innocent and regularly visit him at Lithgow prison, where he is serving a 17-year sentence.

Which is why the prospect of a move north, while appetising for a rugby league player out of a job, was not without its difficulties. At the Knights, and even the Roosters, his father was a couple of hours away. Not so from north of the border. ''When I was in Sydney every Friday night game I could go see him on a Saturday or Sunday but now that I'm up here I'll probably just wait until the byes. He knows that as well,'' Brown said.

''I actually saw him last weekend gone. We had the weekend off so I flew down to Sydney and then borrowed a car and went and visited him for the weekend.''

Brown's father was delighted to hear the Titans had picked up his son, following a 2009 campaign in which he missed the first 20 rounds after breaking his forearm three times.

''He was stoked,'' said Brown, who will start from the bench against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park tomorrow. ''It doesn't really matter where I am. He just loves seeing me playing well and in the NRL. He listens to the radio and reads the papers - he loves it. If we've got [free-to-air] TV games he can watch them too.''

Distance from his dad aside, the utility is thrilled at the fresh start he has been given on the tourist strip and, as a country lad born in Bundaberg and raised in Singleton, is lapping up the ''cruisier'' way of living, having swapped Bondi for Broadbeach.

He credits Craig Fitzgibbon with laying the groundwork for the move, revealing the departed Roosters stalwart recommended him to Titans coach John Cartwright. Soon enough his manager, Todd Buckingham, and the club were chatting. The result was a one-year deal. ''I enjoyed my time at the Roosters but I'm glad I'm out of Sydney because I'm originally from the country.'' Brown said. ''It was just so busy and hectic.''

Brown played 40 games in four seasons at the Knights before being discarded in 2007. Newcastle's trash became the Roosters' treasure, and in his first year in the eastern suburbs he became a fixture in Brad Fittler's side. However, a broken arm suffered in the qualifying final defeat to Brisbane that year cruelled his season and most of the next.

A new arrival at the Titans - albeit one who has garnered almost zero attention thanks to the focus on the Gold Coast's other recruits Greg Bird, Joseph Tomane and Clinton Toopi - Brown is upbeat about where the fourth-year club is headed.

He has made a quick impression on Cartwright, winning a place on the bench against the Warriors as the Titans' jack-of-all-trades at the expense of the highly regarded William Zillman. He is determined to repay the faith.

''They are a club on the rise. They've only been in the competition a few years and they got third last year,'' said Brown, whose 17-year-old brother Gene is also on the Titans' books. ''Now we just want to go that step further.

''We're playing at one o'clock [tomorrow] so we're expecting it to be pretty warm. Carty said 'expect to be playing anywhere'.''

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/

Geyer tells bird to cage his rage

FORMER Test and Origin firebrand Mark Geyer has warned Titans recruit Greg Bird to play down his "enforcer" tag and focus on "methodical destruction" as the controversial five-eighth prepares to make his long-awaited NRL comeback.

All eyes will be focused on Bird when he runs out at Skilled Park in a Gold Coast jumper for the first time against the New Zealand Warriors tomorrow, his first competition game back in Australia since being punted from the Sharks in 2008.

In the wake of his high-profile court case and a forced sabbatical in the UK Super league, the 26-year-old is tipped to unleash 18 months of pent-up frustration.

But Geyer urged Bird not to let the emotion of the occasion get the better of him.

"He should play down as much as he can being the enforcer and the aggressor because not only will fans be looking out for him, but referees, even if it is subconsciously, will be looking at him as well," said Geyer.

"I think below the radar should be his attitude and he should do his destruction in a methodical way.

"I love the fact that he is back in the NRL.

"But let's not beat around the bush, all that stuff to do with his girlfriend is going to be a good source of ridicule from opponents.

"Just how much he lets it get under his skin will have a lot to do with how much he helps the Titans have a successful season."

One of the most feared enforcers of the late 1980s and 1990s, Geyer said Bird could not afford to be drawn into the expected barrage of on-field sledging and had to rise above the taunts or it would disrupt his game.

"He is the type of five-eighth who intimidates with his mere presence," said Geyer. "But again it is how much he ignores the taunts that will determine how well he goes. Especially if his team is winning and he is playing a starring role, I think it is inevitable (he will get sledged).

"Maybe not so much from the New Zealand boys, perhaps they have been a bit more oblivious to what has been going on. But once he plays the Sydney clubs and away from his home ground, I definitely think the sledging and the taunts will be there.

"He has just got to turn the other cheek.

"I know it is hard to do, because trust me I have been there.

"But for him to make the complete 180 in his life, he has got to be able to do it."

Former Test and NSW pivot Bird has proved close to the model player since linking with the Titans.

Determined to resurrect his representative career, Bird has also sought out NRL cult hero Wendell Sailor for advice on winning back fans and appears to be doing and saying all the right things.

The reaction of the Skilled Park crowd tomorrow will be a good litmus test of much his early efforts have been successful.

"He is the piece of the jigsaw the Titans have been missing the past couple of years," said Geyer.

"There is no doubt that the three years in the competition they have been a success story but I think to go one step further they need a bloke of the calibre of Bird.

"He could end up playing State of Origin this year if he ticks all the boxes early.

"Out of the three Queensland teams I think they have got the best chance of winning the comp."

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

Riley and Thompson deserve selection

Titans coach John Cartwright would have enjoyed breaking the news to utility Riley Brown and hulking young prop Bodene Thompson that they'd scraped into his 17-man squad to tackle the Warriors at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Most the time Cartwright delivers disappointing news to players who've just missed out.

In Brown's case, the former Roosters utility impressed with tireless work during the pre-season.

Thompson's cause may have been aided by the withdrawal of front-rower Michael Henderson, although Cartwright - a tough, creative forward for Penrith in the 1980-90s - had also been delighted with his early season commitment.

"I like to reward effort and Bodene and Riley Brown were in the same boat," said Cartwright, confident he could match the Warriors muscle up front.

"They give everything they've got.

"There were a few tight decision but nobody trained harder than those two guys."

Brown, whose past few years have been more like a theme park ride than a rugby league career, said he was grateful for the opportunity.

"I was surprised but it was a goal of mine," said the 25 year-old whose NRL journey started with the Newcastle Knights.

Brown broke his arm in the 2008 finals against Brisbane in 2008 and didn't play again until late in 2009 when the Roosters were going badly.

His work ethic, combined with his ability to play multiple positions, was a winner with Cartwright.

"I knuckled down, trained hard and trialled well and Carty has given me an opportunity on Sunday and I'm looking forward to it," he said.

"I can play a few positions and the prediction is for very warm weather so that's why Carty said I'm there."

Riley can toil in the back row but is also capable of slipping into dummy half should hooker Nathan Friend need a spell which, given the forecast, seems very likely.

"I don't think anyone can go 80 minutes in heat," conceded Cartwright.

Warriors strike player Wade McKinnon has joined new skipper Simon Mannering and former skipper Steve Price on the injured list but Titans captain Scott Prince is wary of rival No.7 Brett Seymour and the return of Brent Tate from a serious knee injury.

Prince and Seymour jostled for playing time at the Broncos before Prince joined the Wests Tigers and then linked with the Gold Coast.

"Brett will give them structure and he has quite a good kicking game," said Prince.

"I played with him at the Broncs and he was part of he reason why I left.

"I've got a lot of respect for him and let's hope we can counteract him."

Tate is another former Bronco teammate rated highly by Prince.

"He's suffered a bit over the last few years with his injuries," said Prince, who battled to overcome his own injury demons at Red Hill.

"He's all class and definitely a player we will have to watch closely."

Source: http://www.nrl.com/

Running times:
    Round 1 Warriors Sunday 14 March 2010

Box Offices Open: 10.10am
    Gates Open: 10.40am
    Under 20's Kick Off: 10.45am
    Kick Off: 1pm

Ill be getting there around 10:40
    See you all there

Blazer

DIMINUTIVE Gold Coast fullback Preston Campbell will try to run over the top of 112kg New Zealand Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei at Skilled Park tomorrow if he feels it will lift his teammates.

Campbell inspired the Indigenous team with a kamikaze charge at giant English forward Sam Burgess in the inaugural All Stars match at Skilled Park last month.

Burgess, 112kg, drove 76kg Campbell into the turf, but the Titans veteran quickly jumped up to play the ball.

The Warriors' biggest men are Vatuvei and prop Russell Packer, both 112kg, and Campbell says he is not afraid to take them on.

"It just depends on the way the game goes," he said. "Obviously I don't do that for me, because I wake up sore the next day. I do it for my teammates. Just those small, little things inspire your teammates.

"The fact we're a little bit smaller than other sides means we have to look for advantages in other areas. I'm not the biggest bloke. Sometimes it can be a disadvantage, but only if you think like that.

"I've been able to play in the NRL for 12 seasons and I've got over 200 games and that's not from being negative.

"In the All Stars game we didn't have the biggest or most experienced side, but we were confident in each other."

Campbell said he did not think his return to Skilled Park following the sold out All Stars match would be an anti-climax.

"I went into the All Stars game really excited," he said. "But I'm also excited about the start of the season.

"The Titans have had some great support and the fact we just fell short last year makes it a little bit more exciting for our fans. We're hoping they will want to be there with us willing us to go that little bit further."

The Warriors have suffered a blow with interchange back Wade McKinnon forced out with an infection.

Former Bronco Joel Moon, originally part of a five-man bench, is now guaranteed an interchange role. Moon was criticised by former Kiwi international Richie Barnett in his newspaper column this week, claiming he had struggled at five-eighth last year.

The Warriors will go back in time in an effort to avoid being cooked out at a potentially sweltering Skilled Park.

After the Titans elected to wear their predominantly white away strip to counter the conditions, the Warriors were facing the prospect of wearing their black home strip. But the visitors yesterday received a slight reprieve with the NRL granting approval to wear their 15-year anniversary jersey.

Source: www.couriermail.com.au

RECRUITS Greg Bird, Joseph Tomane and Riley Brown are set to make their club debuts for the Gold Coast Titans in Sunday's round one clash against New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.
    Coach John Cartwright named Bird at five-eighth in a new-look halves combination with captain Scott Prince while former Melbourne Storm flyer Tomane, 19, has beaten ex-Kiwi international Clinton Toopi for the vacant centres spot.

Former Sydney Roosters utility player Riley Brown has forced his way on to the interchange bench.

Titans squad:
    Preston Campbell
    Kevin Gordon
    Mat Rogers
    Joseph Tomane
    David Mead
    Greg Bird
    Scott Prince
    Luke Bailey
    Nathan Friend
    Brad Meyers
    Anthony Laffranchi
    Mark Minichiello
    Ashley Harrison
    Interchange:
    Matthew White
    Sam Tagataese
    Will Matthews
    Riley Brown
    Michael Henderson
    William Zillman
    Bodene Thompson (three to be omitted).

Source: www.couriermail.com.au

QLD Cup Titan

1 more sleep to go!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the game tomorrow. Will be nice to dig out all my titans gear ready to go.

I'm really interested in Brown now that I've learn he grew up in Singleton.

Got family there.

Are you guys aware that we have never racked up 40 points in a match in our 3 year history.

(We are the only team in the comp not to have hit 40 points in this time. In fact, if we had done it once we would have been the only team to do it once...)

Most of the teams have probably managed to rack up 50 at one stage or another but I didn't look into that.

Just something I was looking into when assessing the Titans as a betting proposition - especially at the line which the Titans, even when winning never seem to cover.

We should be able to give 40 a nudge agaisnt the Warriors tomorrow for a few reasons:
    1. They, along with the Raiders, are the worst travelling team in the comp.
    2. They turn up without their captain, or even their ex-captain.
    3. Starting without other injured players - including their influential fullback Mckinnon.
    4. 1pm kickoff would not suit them, even in NZ.

40 points. Let's do it boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Are you guys aware that we have never racked up 40 points in a match in our 3 year history.

(We are the only team in the comp not to have hit 40 points in this time. In fact, if we had done it once we would have been the only team to do it once...)

Most of the teams have probably managed to rack up 50 at one stage or another but I didn't look into that.

Just something I was looking into when assessing the Titans as a betting proposition - especially at the line which the Titans, even when winning never seem to cover.

We should be able to give 40 a nudge agaisnt the Warriors tomorrow for a few reasons:
    1. They, along with the Raiders, are the worst travelling team in the comp.
    2. They turn up without their captain, or even their ex-captain.
    3. Starting without other injured players - including their influential fullback Mckinnon.
    4. 1pm kickoff would not suit them, even in NZ.

40 points. Let's do it boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah i was thinking about this last week... we hav come close but just havnt got there yet i do belive we will this year