Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    This match will be won at the nine, seven, six and one. While the teams across the rest of the park are reasonably even (I think we have a slight edge) we are very dominant in those positions and should secure the win - white away jersey and all, very comfortably. Not sure the bench will matter but I will be surprised if Zillman's not on it. Tagataese, Harrison and Mini can play centre at a pinch releasing Rogers to cover other backline positions should injury strike but having Zillman their would prove less disruptive. I really think Carty is still not sure which way he will go just yet.
    Hi Super goose, Will Zillman has been named to turn out for the Ipswich Jet Q-Cup side at Fullback on Saturday Night...

Crowd pleaser fit for Warriors clash

BEARDED Gold Coast Titans forward Brad Meyers last night brushed aside concerns over his injured sternum to declare himself a certain starter for Sundays season-opening clash against the Warriors.

In a huge boost for the Titans ahead of the Skilled Park showdown, Meyers breezed through an opposed session against the club's under-20 side at Station Reserve at Robina yesterday.

"I will be playing," said Meyers after the session.

"It has just been precaution with the sternum, save stirring it up through the week -- we wanted to give it as much rest as we could."

Pack leader Luke Bailey also appears certain to line up after testing out his injured knee, while prop Michael Henderson (toe) -- the Titans' other main injury concern -- did not train.

The Warriors game will mark Meyers' 150th first-grade appearance and comes a decade after making his debut for the Brisbane Broncos as a 20-year-old against Canberra in Round 14 of the 2000 season.

Prop Matt White will also rack up his 50th NRL cap against New Zealand.

"It should be good (playing 150th), but I have to worry about playing good footy first," said Meyers.

"I never really thought much about milestones, I just wanted to play footy and that is what I am doing."

The red-haired Gold Coast crowd favourite, who celebrated his 30th birthday in January, is off-contract at the end of the year.

But Meyers, who manages his own affairs, has no plans to pull the curtains on his distinguished career.

The former Australia and Queensland representative, who also had a successful stint in the UK Super League, is hoping for a contract extension so he can remain on the Coast for at least the next two years.

"I am feeling good and had a good year last year, said Meyers.

"Hopefully I can continue that and get a couple more years.

"There is a lot of guys running around, who are still a bit older than me.

"I wouldn't mind hanging around ... but we will just wait and see.

"We have to get into the season first before we start worrying about that."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hot kick-off time confuses Warriors coach

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary describes the decision to kick off their season in the heat of a Queensland afternoon as "confusing" and his squad are taking precautions to counter the associated problems against the Gold Coast Titans.

A 1pm kickoff (4pm NZ time) at Skilled Park in Robina on Sunday will place added pressure on a new-look Warriors side as they come up against a Titans outfit in tune with the heat and humidity and keen to pick up from where they left off last year, finishing third in the NRL compared to the Warriors' 14th.

"It's early and it's a little confusing I suppose when you consider there are only two day games in the eight each week and they pick one in southeast Queensland in March," Cleary said of the early afternoon match.

"But I guess that's where today's game is – it's all based around TV and we just have to roll with it.

"It's definitely a tough start for sure. The Titans are very hard to beat up there and I'm sure they will be again this week. But we might as well get in and find out what's it's all about quickly."

The Warriors' waterboys are set for a busy afternoon. Rehydration will be a key factor.

"We have done a couple of things. It's not scientific ... it's just trying to keep the boys' body temperatures down as much as we can with some of the things they drink before the game and during the game and ice really," explained Cleary.

"You try to prepare as best as you can but in reality it's going to be hot. We know that and that's part of playing in the NRL in Australia."

After a successful preseason Cleary is itching to get the real stuff rolling.

"I'm excited to kick it all off. You can do all the preparation you want but I guess until you start your competition you are only guessing in many aspects or trying to predict. So it's nice to get out there and get it going."

Cleary said that if the Warriors stuck to their game plan he was confident they would be competitive in a championship he believes will be as even as ever.

"I look at every side and you would think every side has a good chance of having a good season. I guess that's the beauty of our competition – there's not a lot of difference between the top and bottom. It's a long hard year there are going to be plenty of ups and downs."

As the Warriors prepared to cross the Tasman, Cleary also spoke on the possibility of the talented Sonny Bill Williams joining the club.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Warriors can handle the heat

Micheal Luck and Lance Hohaia are playing down concerns about the Gold Coast heat in the Warriors opening game

The Warriors are playing down the heat factor as they prepare for the Gold Coast and Sunday's season opener against the Titans.

The club had expressed concerns to the NRL that the 1pm local kick off time for their two opening games.

The Gold Coast Titans have seized on this for Sunday's opening round match and have elected to play in their white strip, forcing the Warriors to play in either their black or blue jersey.

The Warriors are trying to rush through a new lighter, cooler playing strip for the match. However the temperature on the Gold Coast on Sunday afternoon is only expected to be in the early 20s.

Stand-in captain Micheal Luck feels the heat issue is a storm in a teacup.

"In my opinion it's the same as the Cowboys coming over here in the middle of July at four in the arvo when it's five degrees. It's just something you've got to deal with. We're not going to worry about it too much."

Fullback Lance Hohaia is not overly concerned either.

"There are games at 2.30 in the afternoon on Sundays I have played before here and in Australia. So in my mind it's not that big a deal, I mena obviously depending on what jersey we wear I guess it's going to be a little hot for us."

Source: http://www.radiosport.co.nz

I swear... if the Warriors dont stop the oh poor me cr@p I might have to meet them at the airport with a big box of tissues.

Anywayyyyy ......... Just got back from skilled........ Drums are all there ready to go as well as all the IRONED flags and banners.......... One thing I hate more than sewing the d@mn things in the first place is ironing them again............

Oh well.... all done.............

3 Sleeps to go

Here's to 2015

Titans First Grader hugebrianfan's Avatar

I'll be going, cant wait. it will be good woohoo

Maloney gets a shot

New Zealand Warriors recruit James Maloney has been thrown in the deep-end with his new club and will start at half-back against a tough looking Gold Coast Titans side at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Maloney joined the Warriors from the Melbourne Storm in the hope of getting some more game time and has got his wish after a solid pre-season with his new side.

The 23-year-old said he is excited at being named in the starting team and is looking forward to kicking the season off this weekend.

'Like most of the boys, I'm over the pre-season and got the trials out of the way so this is a good part of the season,' he said.

'I'm personally pretty excited to get a starting spot which is what I've come here for so I'm looking forward to it.

'I've been pretty happy with it (pre-season performance). Obviously there's always thing to work on and I'll keep working on them during the year, but I'm definitely happy with my early-year form.'

Maloney will pair up with fellow newcomer Brett Seymour in the halves and has been happy to have dodged the spotlight due to Seymour's arrival.

Seymour, an extremely gifted player that looked to have thrown his career away in 2009 after a string off off-field misbehaviour, is looking revamp his career in a new club and a new country.

'It's probably good to fly under the radar a bit so I've just got to do what I do,' said Maloney.

'Hopefully on the field I can play well with Brett and we can get a win first up.

'He's obviously a very good player and he's played a lot of games so that makes him very easy to play with. It's (the combination with Seymour) is getting better each time we play together so we'll just keep working on it as we go and hopefully it'll be real good by the end of the year.'

Maloney, at just 81kg, is not the most imposing player in the club and looks tiny next to the likes of Warriors heavyweights Manu Vatuvei and Russell Packer but backs his ability to mix it with the big boys.

'I like to think my defence is pretty strong in the halves and also just providing options all over the park and taking the ball to the line and asking questions of their defence.'

http://bigpondnews.com/

I hope Bird crushes the kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Scott Prince just said on Sky News. Along the lines of...

"It's a psychological advantage, they say black is slimming, so hopefully Manu will look skinnier."

White jersey looks great.

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

Cant Wait OMG! 1 more sleep til NRL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

Titans to boast fresh look against Warriors
    Adam Gardini

Premiership winning forward Anthony Laffranchi believes new recruits Greg Bird and Joseph Tomane will add an exciting new dimension to the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans in 2010.

Speaking ahead of Sunday’s eagerly anticipated season-opening clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park, Jetstar Titans forward Laffranchi said fans could expect a new look from the Titans this season.

With imposing defender Bird named to play at five-eighth and giant 19-year-old Joseph Tomane to play in the centres, the Titans will boast a noticeably bigger backline compared to recent seasons.

“Those guys add a bit of size on our edges which we probably lacked a bit last year,’’ said Laffranchi.

“Having Birdy on the edge adds a bit more size and with young Joseph Tomane in the centres – he’s a big lad, nearly one of the biggest at the club, so he’ll be great for us this year.”

Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright rated Tomane as the club’s ‘most damaging player’ during three pre-season trial matches which netted two wins against the Broncos and Souths and a loss to the Cowboys in wet conditions in Darwin.

“He’s probably been our most damaging player,’’ said Cartwright.

“Even up in Darwin in the terrible wet conditions, he was still our most dangerous player so hopefully we get a fast track on the weekend as well.”

The Jetstar Titans will reveal their brand new white away jerseys for the match after the club opted to wear the lighter colour jerseys over the traditional blue home jersey due to the anticipated hot conditions.

Laffranchi said he hoped the weather stayed kind to the club ahead of the clash against the Warriors.

“I can’t pick the weather but hopefully its sunny and the stands are full of people,” he said.

“If it’s hot, everyone’s prepared for it. We’ve been training in it all summer and I’m sure it’ll be a good game against the Warriors.

“It’s great, I can’t wait. The off-season has been really good on the Coast and our squad has come together really well.

“Round 1 is always a good time and I love my footy so I can’t wait for it to come around.”

In team changes, prop Michael Henderson has been ruled out with a toe injury but fellow front rowers Luke Bailey and Brad Meyers have been cleared to play following injury concerns.

Emerging young forward Bodene Thompson has been given the green light to take his place on a four-man interchange bench which includes prop Matt White, backrower/centre Sam Tagataese and versatile utility Riley Brown.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 12-03-10 at 06:10 PM.

WARRIORS COUNTER ATTACK!

Warriors to don their Anniversary jersey this Sunday

The Warriors will don their 15 year anniversary jersey when they take on the Gold Coast Titans this Sunday at Skilled Park.

After initially being forced to wear their home jersey due to the Titans electing to run out in their predominately white alternative strip, the Warriors requested approval from the NRL to wear the special anniversary strip.

The NRL has granted approval for the club to wear the jersey, deeming that there is a sufficient contrast between the playing strips of both clubs.

The Warriors 15 Year Anniversary Jersey:

http://www.nrl.com/

Thompson unleashed for Titans' physical challenge

GOLD Coast Titans forward Bodene Thompson loves the physicality of rugby league so he should find his Nirvana at Skilled Park this weekend after the 21-year-old was drafted into the NRL side to take on the hulking New Zealand Warriors forward pack in Sunday's National Rugby League season opener.

Forward Michael Henderson was yesterday declared a non-starter as he struggles to overcome a broken toe, prompting Titans coach John Cartwright to give Thompson the nod against a team he grew up supporting as a young kid growing up in Tauranga.

After impressing Cartwright during the pre-season, a leaner, stronger Thompson was excited yesterday by the prospect of getting in the thick of the action on Sunday.

"I always watched them (Warriors) growing up but that was the same for every kid in New Zealand I think," said Thompson, nicknamed Bo Shooter by his teammates.

"The Warriors are a big strong side and I like to play tough up front and I'll be challenging myself, so it will be good."

After three performances in the NRL before an ankle injury against the Raiders in Round 17 cut short his season short in 2009, Thompson admits he was still learning the game.

"I haven't played much so it was a big learning curve and I'm still learning heaps now," said Thompson, who only began playing rugby league at 16 when he moved to the Coast with mum Bridget.

"But Carty has been great and helped so much to get me to where I'm at now.

"I'm just glad I'm in the mix and now it's about playing strongly and trying to keep my place and that's where my focus is."

After initial doubts on the fitness of the front row, Cartwright confirmed Luke Bailey (knee) and Bred Meyers (sternum) would take their place after again getting through training unscathed.

While confident Henderson, who underwent surgery to remove a bone spur on his foot last week, would be fit for next week's clash with the Rabbitohs, Cartwright had no doubt Thompson would fill the void after a tireless pre-season.

"You like to reward effort and it's nice to be able to tell a fellow he's there for his effort (and) Riley Brown's in the same boat," said Cartwright of Thompson and Brown's selection on the interchange bench alongside Matt White and Sam Tagataese.

"Riley came here for an opportunity and Bodene was in a similar situation and they give everything they have got.

"There was a couple of tight decisions but we like to reward effort and no one has trained harder than those two guys."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    WARRIORS COUNTER ATTACK!

Warriors to don their Anniversary jersey this Sunday

The Warriors will don their 15 year anniversary jersey when they take on the Gold Coast Titans this Sunday at Skilled Park.

After initially being forced to wear their home jersey due to the Titans electing to run out in their predominately white alternative strip, the Warriors requested approval from the NRL to wear the special anniversary strip.

The NRL has granted approval for the club to wear the jersey, deeming that there is a sufficient contrast between the playing strips of both clubs.

The Warriors 15 Year Anniversary Jersey:

http://www.nrl.com/
    haha great mind games, love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Wade McKinnon out of Warriors first NRL game

The Warriors have suffered a blow ahead of their season-opener against the Titans with Wade McKinnon ruled out of the trip to the Gold Coast.

The fullback was only on the bench for Sunday’s match at Skilled Park in Robina but was set to play a major role with his impact in what are expected to be very hot conditions with the 1pm kickoff.

An infection has prevented McKinnon training this week and last night he was ruled out.

Joel Moon, originally part of a five-man bench, is now a confirmed starter on the interchange bench.

The Warriors left Auckland this morning for Brisbane with a squad of 17 players.

A Junior Warriors player will be added to the line-up as 18th man on Sunday following their NYC match against Gold Coast.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/