Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

pretty predictable side from Carty although the make up of the Bench still looks lik eit is undetermined, if Hendo is fit he will fill one spot but gee the other three spots are hard to decide, i hope Zillman scores a place on the bench after what i seen in the trials looks as though he has his speed back

I look forward to Bodene getting a run early in the season maybe ahead of Mathews
    #itaintweaktospeak

I also think Zillman deserves a bench spot but i really think matthews deserves it more than thompson...he has some promise and i have a feeling we will start to see him shine.

Not sure on thompson but that purely because i havent seen him that much and from what i have seen i think he needs more size and we got smashed not due to him...

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Pretty much what I expected. Great to see Tomane get a run first up.

Hoping that Zillman will get a spot on the bench.

Warriors have named a dangerous team, with all the focus on the Titans I was surprised to finally read the team they have put together.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Titans
    1. Preston Campbell
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Mat Rogers
    4. Joseph Tomane
    5. David Mead
    6. Greg Bird
    7. Scott Prince ?
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Brad Meyers
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Mark Minichiello
    13. Ashley Harrison

Interchange:
    14. Matthew White
    15. Sam Tagataese
    16. Will Matthews
    17. Riley Brown
    18. Michael Henderson
    19. William Zillman

20. Bodene Thompson
    OMG...... what a line up!!!!!!!!!!!

That is unreal......Love seeing White and Tagataese as impact off the bench.

If I wasnt already counting how many sleeps to go....... after seeing that line up......

Well I ll be on the train that will get to skilled between 10 and 10.30

Ormeau Railway Station
    9:48am
    Coomera Railway Station
    9:53am
    Helensvale Railway Station
    9:59am
    Nerang Railway Station
    10:04am
    Robina Railway Station
    10:10am

Here's to 2015

Banned

where the fu** is cannings grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cannings is recovering from off-season surgery I believe (knee or shoulder I can't remember which). I expect 2 of White, Matthews, Henderson and Thompson to play with Tagataese or Riley Brown in one spot and Zillman in the other. Carty will use Bird in the forward rotation and slot Zillman at the back and bring Presto up late in the halves or maybe just the last quarter of the match.

Brown is an excellent player but I reckon Carty might go for the Tagataese X factor and if Henderson is fit he will get one spot and I'm guessing White the other.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

The early word is Hendo has been given the all clear to start running Wednesday so it will be up 2 Carty to determine if he's ready for round 1 & if not the team will probably start as 1 to 17 he has already picked
    #itaintweaktospeak

Looks to me as though Carty has shown his hand and that 14-17 have the inside running.

I can see the value in having an extra forward utility on the bench in the shape of Brown given the likely conditions of a 1pm kickoff.

We have to win the game but we also need the boys to come through in good enough order to front up in Sydney the following Friday. Carty might see the value in giving Friend 15 or 20 on the bench to keep him up to the mark for Rd 2.

Banned

im not fans of hendo and white though....
    we seriously need a marquee prop next year.

This match will be won at the nine, seven, six and one. While the teams across the rest of the park are reasonably even (I think we have a slight edge) we are very dominant in those positions and should secure the win - white away jersey and all, very comfortably. Not sure the bench will matter but I will be surprised if Zillman's not on it. Tagataese, Harrison and Mini can play centre at a pinch releasing Rogers to cover other backline positions should injury strike but having Zillman their would prove less disruptive. I really think Carty is still not sure which way he will go just yet.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    im not fans of hendo and white though....
    we seriously need a marquee prop next year.
    Hendo will become the marquee prop this season !
    #itaintweaktospeak

I m a fan of White...... It sort of feels like he s not steppin it up becuase he s not a 'key player' but I reacon that this year we will see a confidence change in him and he will step it up.

Having said that..................... I could be wrong...... I remember I was wrong once before....... a few years back.

Here's to 2015

Cartwright calls on Laffranchi to prop up Titans

ANTHONY Laffranchi has no qualms about stepping into the Titans' engine room to help alleviate some of the pressure on the Gold Coast's big men in Sunday's NRL season opener against the New Zealand Warriors.

As the club sweats on the availabililty of hulking forwards Brad Meyers (sternum), Luke Bailey (knee) and Michael Henderson (broken toe), Titans coach John Cartwright yesterday named a 20-man squad to allow his key trio every chance to prove their fitness.

But with the match scheduled to kick off at 1pm and question marks over the fitness of the men up front, Laffranchi, named at second row, said he was happy to put his hat in the ring to fill any void.

"I've been there and done that before and my role won't change," said Laffranchi, who wore the No.8 for the Tigers in their 2005 grand final win over the Cowboys.

"If they need me to move up to the front row for a short period in the game to give the bigger guys a break, I'll be more than happy to."

An avid fan of Laffranchi's no nonsense work ethic, coach John Cartwright said it was a bonus knowing he could call on the Test and Origin forward to help fill the void.

"If we lost Bailey and Henderson and with Aaron Cannings unavailable, we would be a bit skinny in the front row," he said.

"But Boof's (Laffranchi) won a grand final in the front row so we have put him on notice that he may be there."

While much hinges on the fitness of the front row, three of the club's off-season recruits have won places in the squad for the opening round.

Storm signing Joseph Tomane has been rewarded for his impressive trials form and will start in the centres, with Greg Bird to partner skipper Scott Prince in the halves.

The versatility of Riley Brown will give the Titans an advantage, with Cartwright opting for the former Roosters utility on the bench.

"Riley has earned a spot on the bench and I think with the heat it's important we have back up for (hooker Nathan Friend)," said Cartwright.

"The beauty of Riley is that he covers so many spots, he can play back row, hooker, half, five-eighth and even centre if he has to.

"And with the conditions the way they are, we may need some extra back-up there."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans v Warriors
    Skilled Park Sunday 1pm (Qld time)

Before a ball has even been kicked in this first round match-up, the New Zealand-based side is crying foul ? and perhaps with good reason.

With the temperatures expected to soar around the 1pm kick-off time, the Titans have elected to wear their alternate white strip, forcing the Warriors into wearing their black outfits, which sparked some outrage across the ditch.

We say ?well played? Titans, as it is within their rights to do so? but at the end of the day it will just make the Warriors hungrier to grab their first win at Skilled Park.

The Titans shape up nicely for the new season after making the finals for the first time in 2009, with many predicting a stellar year should they remain injury-free. They defeated Souths 28-22 before falling 22-4 to the Cowboys in Darwin during the trials.

New recruit Joseph Tomane gets a crack in the centres and Greg Bird is officially five-eighth.

The Warriors, on the other hand, are a team people differ on, with some experts calling them finals bound and others predicting a wooden spoon.

They opened the trials with a 26-8 win over the Roosters, then backed it up with a 28-6 win over the Cowboys, before settling for a 16-all draw with Manly.

They are without new captain Simon Mannering and old captain Steve Price, leaving Micheal Luck to skipper the side.

Lance Hohaia is fullback, with Wade McKinnon on the bench, Brent Tate is back in NRL action after an injury-ravaged 2009, while the halves pairing is James Maloney and Brett Seymour.

Watch out Titans: The two wingers in black jerseys are contrasting but equally dangerous. Big Manu Vatuvei is back in business on one flank for the Warriors, and coming up against a smaller Titan backline would make the Kiwi monolith salivate. He averaged 135 metres a match last year and had 11 line-breaks, with 13 tries and 81 tackle breaks. Should he stay fully fit these figures will surely rise.

On the other wing is young speed machine Kevin Locke. Still building his way into NRL football, Locke has pace and skill to burn and can scorch the turf from long range. The Titans will be looking to stop the ball getting wide.

Watch out Warriors: Greg Bird has plenty to prove, even if he plays it all down in the lead-up. Bird has been the focus for all the wrong reasons in the past few years and now has the opportunity to do what he does best ? play footy.

He is a triple threat as a footballer. He can run through the line, he can pass before the line and he can offload in traffic. Gifted players like him become hard to defend against and with extra defenders on watch, Scott Prince will have the freedom to do even more. The Warriors shouldn?t get gun shy though; they need to pressure the halves pairing and force them into decisions. If they hold off, they?ll get smoked.

Where it will be won: Completion rates are the absolute key here. If it is as hot as many predict it might get, then we are guaranteed to get points scored off the back or errors and missed tackles.

Both teams will have lapses and the side that has more ball will get more chance to crack the weary defence. Last season, the two sides were almost identical in handling errors so there appears to be no lean either way in that regard.

However the Titans missed 51 more tackles over the regular season than the Warriors, so maybe the Kiwi-based side has a sniff? Well, if they are creating and finishing off more chances than last year they do. You see, the side only scored 28 tries direct from line-breaks last year, while the Titans managed 40. When you make a break, you have to finish it off.

Sadly for the Warriors, they allowed 48 tries from other teams? line-breaks so their scramble was the worst in the league.

The History: Played 5; Titans 3, Warriors 2. After the Warriors won the first two matches between the clubs the Titans have won the past three straight, including two matches last season.

At Skilled Park the Titans have won two of two, with the average winning margin being 14 points. In fact, the closest margin in all five previous meetings between the sides has been 12, so the precedent is there for a one-way result.

Conclusion: The Titans at home are difficult to tip against, especially when they front up against a Warriors side without their top two leaders. If it gets hot, the Warriors will melt, but the Titans have been acclimatising all summer. There is enough skill in the Warriors? unit to produce an upset? but it?s unlikely. Stick with the Gold Coast.

Match officials: Referees ? Matt Cecchin & Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Luke Potter & Adam Devcich; Video Ref ? Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 ? Live from 2pm (AEDT).

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 10-03-10 at 02:52 PM.