Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Banned

what about toopi @ center and tomane as bench? i don't know its too hard to choose a starter in this log jam, @ least we are covered for this year.

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

yer at leat we have talent is wat i say better to be choking on having to much talent then too little

kk just about to ask dad if i can go fingers crossed

Can Gooooooooooo Wooooooo!

just about to book tickets where do we sit

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Mead vies for Titans opener

?I?d love to have Toopi inside me,? he said. ?But he is my new roommate so maybe I am a bit biased.?

Source: http://www.northernstar.com.au/
    errr what?

Good to see there all getting along well
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    errr what?

Good to see there all getting along well
    Hahaha!
    Unusually, I totally missed that one....
    How long you been a mod for?
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    How long you been a mod for?
    Only a week or so mate, since Titans fan day
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

congrats on becoming one

Tickets to this game can now be bought from Ticketek.

CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS TO ROUND 1: TITANS vs WARRIORS
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Warriors trial with Manly ends in 16-16 draw

STORMING RUN: Warriors prop Sam Rapira leaves Manly defenders in his wake on a busting run during the pre-season trial at North Harbour Stadium, which ended 16-16.Relevant offers

Veteran centre Brent Tate came through his first match in 11 months unscathed as the New Zealand Warriors completed the National Rugby League trials programme with a 16-16 draw against Manly in Auckland today.

A late addition to the squad, Tate played the first 22 minutes of the game and returned for the last 23 minutes in his comeback from his second knee reconstruction in three years.

"It was great to be back after so long out of the game," he said, after playing in front of North Harbour Stadium's second successive crowd of 17,000-plus for a Warriors trial.

"The knee came through the game without any trouble all."

The Warriors emerged from their trials programme unbeaten ahead of their season-opening match against the Gold Coast Titans in Robina on March 14.

Also back on the field after missing last week's trial win against North Queensland was fullback Wade McKinnon, who replaced the starting fullback Lance Hohaia at halftime.

Winger Kevin Locke was replaced just before the break after a knock to his back but there were no concerns about his condition after the game.

Coach Ivan Cleary again found plenty to be pleased about.

"We have lots of areas we can improve in but we again defended very well in the second half, we got through with no new injury concerns and we have a lot of players who are putting their hand up and are playing good football at this stage," he said.

While there was constant activity on the interchange bench the intensity on the field belied the fact this was a trial.

For much of the second half the Warriors had to defend their line as Manly, after leading 16-10 at halftime, kept rolling at them from close range.

Every time, though, the home side defused whatever the Sea Eagles threw at them.

The work was rewarded in the end when in the 76th minute some slick short passing near Manly's line created space for new signing Jeremy Latimore to score under the crossbar, with Shaun Johnson converting for the draw.

Soure: http://www.stuff.co.nz

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Yeh but Manly suck so no big threat.

Titans face tight squeeze for spots

GOLD Coast Titans coaching staff can expect some long discussions around the selection table to find their top-17 for the season-opener against the New Zealand Warriors on Sunday week.

That's the summation from Nathan Friend, who said the competition for positions was the strongest it had been leading into the club's fourth season in the NRL.

Despite falling to the Cowboys 22-4 in their final trial in Darwin on Saturday night, finding the right mix for the Titans, whose pre-season included wins over Brisbane and South Sydney, will be a tough assignment for coach John Cartwright.

"There's battles for several positions amongst a couple (of players), so I would hate to be the coaching staff making those decisions," said Friend.

"You look at our roster and we have a fair few players capable of filling a few roles.

"But all we (the players) can do is train hard and hope we're there for that first game."

Friend, who will start the year in the No.9 jersey, knows he was one of the players facing strong competition, with recruit Riley Brown pressing his claims in the three trials.

While the back row of Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison should start the year in their positions, the battle for spots on the bench is fierce.

It's a similar story in the backline, where former Kiwi international Clinton Toopi and Will Zillman head the list fighting their way into the team.

"Everyone has trained really well in the off-season and everyone has played strongly in the trials," said Friend.

"Despite the loss there were a few individuals that played well on Saturday again.

"Hopefully everyone gets through training over the next few weeks so by Round 1 we're all ready for kick off and ready to go."

Friend stressed there were no doubts concerning the Titans' muscle up front despite Saturday night's result.

Played in heavy conditions after a three-day deluge soaked the Northern Territory capital, the Cowboys pack led by man of the match Luke O'Donnell, Steve Rapira, Antonio Kaufusi, Matt Scott, Carl Webb and at times Willie Mason had the wood on their Queensland rivals.

But Friend insisted the Gold Coast's failure to build any real momentum after completing only a handful of sets from 18 first-half possessions was responsible for the Titans' downfall.

"The first 40 I think we probably completed one set and we struggled to get a kick in and get into an arm wrestle," said Friend.

"It's hard to win football matches if you're not completing your sets."

The Cowboys led 10-0 at the main break before winger Kevin Gordon closed the gap early in the second half.

With several chances at the Cowboys line, poor execution let the Titans down as they eventually let in two late tries, with the scoreline not reflecting the closeness of the match.

While the Cowboys' big men dominated, it was tough for the Titans to follow suit with Matt White ruled out before kickoff after being struck down with illness on Friday.

But with White, Luke Bailey (rested) and Michael Henderson (broken toe) expected to be right for the season opener with the Warriors at Skilled Park on March 14, Friend knows they will have more stability around their ruck.

"We struggled in that department on Saturday night and we couldn't seem to get any quick play-the-balls and when we did, we would let ourselves down by dropping the ball," he said.

"You need a few big guys who can cart the ball forward and get us on a bit of a roll.

"Getting those guys back will help us but there's not too much to worry about.

"Once we had a bit of ball in the second half we played well and showed some promising signs.

"But we've got a couple of games under our belt now.

"Yeah we lost (on Saturday) but I'm sure the individuals took a lot out of last night, so we're not too concerned."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Young forwards bidding for place in pack

Coach John Cartwright has a host of young forwards bidding for places in the Gold Coast Titans pack

ANOTHER off-season will only do wonders for the young forwards ready to break into the big league this season with the Gold Coast Titans.

And it's an added edge backrower Mark Minichiello has no doubt will give the club extra firepower in their bid to remain standing in the final week of the 2010 competition.

A week out from their fourth season in the NRL, coach John Cartwright will have his work cut out to select his top 17 for the season-opener against the Warriors on Sunday week.

While injury kept lock Ashley Harrison off the paddock through the middle of the season, few questions were asked when he was there alongside backrowers Minichiello and Anthony Laffranchi.

But with Will Matthews and Bodene Thompson getting a taste of the big league and another pre-season under their belts, competition for positions is fierce with Brad Meyers, Josh Graham, Luke O'Dwyer, Sam Tagataese and Riley Brown all vying for selection.

"It's always good that those younger guys get a season under their belt and they come back better for the experience," said Minichiello of the challenge being presented by Thompson and Matthews.

"I think our pack's pretty strong and with those younger blokes coming through it will add a lot of enthusiasm to the side and nobody's position is safe.

"It may cause him some headaches but Carty is actually in a good position because he has plenty of blokes there all ready to go."

The Titans arrived back on the Coast worn out and weary yesterday after a horror trip to Darwin over the weekend.

After a disappointing loss to the Cowboys in heavy conditions on Saturday night, Darwin's monsoonal weather and mechanical issues with their plane combined to delay their arrival back on the Coast by 15 hours.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Keen prop deserves a better break

GOLD Coast Titans front rower Michael Henderson will let nothing hold him back when the NRL season kicks off after he was yesterday given the all clear to resume running after a broken toe.

Forced out of the Titans' trials with Souths and the Cowboys, the injury was yet another minor stumbling block for Henderson but he concedes it was nothing compared to the pain and frustration of the past three years.

It's not too often you find a prop describing his pre-season as enjoyable but that's exactly how Henderson has been feeling this summer.

Dealt a cruel blow when he broke his leg in horrific circumstances against the Broncos early in the Titans' inaugural 2007 season, Henderson forced his way back on the field a year later before returning to form again last season.

And he is confident he can carry that momentum into this season, starting with the Warriors on Sunday week.

"It's enjoyable just to be able to run instead of being stuck in the gym or on a bike," said Henderson of spending hours on limited training programs while his teammates were running.

"You get a good base in the pre-season with the running and I've lacked that by being limited in what I could do in the last few years.

"It has been a bit different and the training has changed a bit but while it was tough I was probably a little bit keener than a couple of years ago because it's been a while."

With doctors yesterday clearing Henderson of major damage on his toe -- which was broken when it was jarred into the ground during a drill -- the 25-year-old will be doing everything in his power to be there against the Warriors.

Averaging 41 minutes in his 21 games last season, the former Dragon said eliminating errors and adding more `go forward' to the side was more important than extra game time this season.

"Everyone would like to play more minutes but for me that is not the biggest concern," he admits.

"It depends on the system Carty (coach John Cartwright) has in place but as long as I'm playing consistently, I don't mind how many minutes I'm playing.

"I'm worried about quality over quantity."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au