Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    WTF????

Rogers was brilliant, made alot of 1 on 1 tackles and made alot of good defensive decisions by coming in and shutting down plays. He also made 82 meters and 6 tackle breaks.

Bailey made 133mts and 33 tackles in 60minutes of play - which is more than any other forward! And like always, done alot of the dirty work like kick chases, tidying up the defensive line and covering missed tackles.

The whole team made alot of handling errors, but much can be excused considering the slippery conditions and being 1st match of the year.
    I loved heavy defense from Taga, Bird and even Tomane at times. Those three boys are gonna be real weapons for us in attack and defense...
    Could not agree more!!! Except i think friend yet again deserves some praise too! Absolute work horse!

Maybe a few of you got carried away watching from the stands but apart from 2 shocking decisions (prince copping a shoulder to the head whilst kicking and the bird quick play of the ball) The refs werent that bad. There was a lot of inconsistency with the calls and thats because Game 1 of the season and 2 referees (the second i think is a joke!)

I think we are all remembering what we were like at the back of last season and not realising its game 1 of the season. Of course things are going to be rusty. Theres a lot to improve on like halves combinations, errors and line speed but what im proud of, is that after a shocking display we still got the 2 points!

Looks like Zillman will be in the No.1 jumper for friday against the bunnies who are going to be fired up!

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Was listening on the radio to this one. I wasn't worried even in the first half, and as soon as they came out for the second it sounded like a different side.

Other than the dropped bomb, sounds like Presto had a great game, and Boof got through a lot of work too. They were saying most of our turnovers came from Bird, either through his bad handling or his usual penalties. Won't be long until he leaves us a man down in a game.

Hopefully the injuries out of it aren't serious! Did Gordon go to fullback when Presto came off? I gotta say, it sounded like almost a blessing in disguise. From what I heard on the radio the Warriors were close to leveling but Gordon got there just in time. Not sure Presto would have had the pace.
    Bird dropped the ball 5 times which was probably a combination of wet weather & trying too hard , he gave away 1 penalty when he played the ball quickly but was pulled down by the tackler & the ref got it wrong , but u may be 1 of the supporters who are hoping he does get in the Shyte by your comment
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Bird dropped the ball 5 times which was probably a combination of wet weather & trying too hard , he gave away 1 penalty when he played the ball quickly but was pulled down by the tackler & the ref got it wrong , but u may be 1 of the supporters who are hoping he does get in the Shyte by your comment
    Theres mix talked about bird coming on the titans, personally i beleive he did really well to counter the conditions yesterday plus his return to the nrl premiership
    The ref got a ridiculous amount of calls wrong, thus resulting in warriors being able to score there 18 points. 1 try wasnt the result of a mistake due to wet weather or a bad reffing decision
    I think the boys can take a lot from their first game, and have got to step it up a notch for the rabbits game on friday night. The boys have got what it takes, and at least send themselves down to nsw with a win under the belt, unlike the rabbits

Blazer
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

I thought Presto was fantastic once again. Except for the 30 metre leap in the air which wasn't necessary, but we can put that down to some extra enthusiasm. What I did notice though is he never ran the ball once (from what I recall) he passed every time. He did say pregame that his wingers wanted to see more ball so he certainly didn't disappoint there.

Next week Presto.....can you run the ball yourself a few times. You are simply just magic to watch!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    if bird plays like he did today all season i say we need to shift him to lock and put minichello on the bench
    As much as i dont like the guy... He should be in the 13.......

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post
    As much as i dont like the guy... He should be in the 13.......
    totally agree presto to 6 and zillman in the 1 jersey, but who to leave out of the backrow? maybe minichello to the bench

I had no problem with refs except Prince getting hit after kicking. Warrior player didn't try to tackle Prince, he just put a shoulder into him. Ref made a blatant mistake there.
    My problem with the game as a whole, was we won on the back of individual brilliance and not as the well disciplined and well-oiled machine I know they are.
    The Gods were with us yesterday but that won't always be the case. They had better get their defensive patterns and combinations sorted quick smart or it's going to be a long season.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    totally agree presto to 6 and zillman in the 1 jersey, but who to leave out of the backrow? maybe minichello to the bench
    Yeah i would say mini to breach.... said from day one if he did come here he should say in 13 thats where he played in SOO nd in test so keep him there...

If Presto is out for Fridays match Zillman & Walker both had man of the match performances in their respective games but Zillman is a long way ahead of Shannon
    Last edited by TITAN PETE; 15-03-10 at 12:19 PM.
    #itaintweaktospeak

We looked destined to lose our first game in the first half. Nothing was going right. And our completion rate was awful.

Luckily I think we do have a never say die attitude and being at home has it's advantages... harder to get complacent. That try 2 mins before half time was critical.

The Titans penalty that should have gone to the Warriors was a stroke of luck. Luck was on our side yestrerday.

Preston Campbell was everywhere and had a fantastic match. I hope he is ok, that looked like a nasty head knock. Luckily we have a player the class of William Zillman up our sleeve.

Luke Bailey had a great game, did alot of good tackling and tried to make every metre he could.

Friendy at his usual best.

Tomane, he is certainly all I hoped. I think he is a perfect centre, strong and with the ability to score a try and support his wingman in equal portions.

Have to agree, I think Rogers had a good game.

Packer for the Warriors was always a danger and was impressive.

Defence on the day was good, with many tries coming from kicks.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans v Warriors, Round 1, Post match presser
    Jason Sintome

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans got home for their first win of the season yesterday, in trying conditions against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park.

Post match, the Captains and Coaches from both teams had plenty to say about the game and the way it unfolded.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE POST MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Bird high in Carty's first-up appraisal

THERE weren't too many moments that will make it to a career highlights reel but Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright saw plenty of promise in Greg Bird's debut.

With only three trial games together, Bird's partnership with Titans skipper Scott Prince was never going to be an instant success but passages of yesterday's victory over the Warriors gave Cartwright cause for optimism in his new halves combination.

Relieved to have claimed the points after trailling for 63 minutes, Cartwright left Skilled Park a happy man.

Happy not only for the win but safe in the knowledge Test and NSW star Bird's rusty debut for his new club produced the odd flash of class that when polished, would only give the Titans a greater advantage in 2010.

"It wasn't one of his best games," said Cartwright of the 26-year-old.

"Birdy's a ball player and he goes hard at the line and it wasn't the conditions that suited him.

"But what I liked about him was how he reacted to it.

"I don't think I've seen an aggression in defence like he brings and guys like that never die wondering -- they go hard."

With Prince conceding the pair still had plenty to iron out, Cartwright stressed it was too hard to be critical of Bird's efforts in his first NRL match since August 2008.

He stressed the former Sharks playmaker, who has spent just as much time in the courtroom fighting to clear his name as he had on the football field in the past 18 months, would only get better with every game.

"(Greg's) very similar to Preston (Campbell), you have your good and your bad days but it's how you turn up after it," he said.

"While Birdy made some errors with the ball, he certainly shortened a few of them up (in defence) at crucial times.

"He's very competitive, he tried too hard and I've watched him for a while and he does that regardless.

"But I don't mind because you know his next effort is going to be better than the one before."

Head injury a concern for Titan ace Preston Campbell

GUTSY little Gold Coast fullback Preston Campbell last night admitted he was worried about the latest in a long line of head knocks that have cast a shadow over his playing future.

Campbell, who is likely to be rested from Friday night's match against Souths in Sydney, said he had little memory of yesterday's 24-18 win over New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park, where he scored the matchwinning try in the 70th minute.

The 32-year-old Gold Coast foundation player brought gasps from the crowd when his legs gave way as trainer Ron Palmer helped him to his feet after he misjudged a front-on tackle on Warriors youngster Kevin Locke in the 75th minute.

Just two minutes earlier Campbell had stolen the ball one-on-one as giant Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei steamed on to a James Maloney kick and looked set to score his third try of the match.

Campbell, who wears headgear, said he usually came good soon after taking a knock.

"But I've never felt like that before," he said. "I got the wobbly boot and fell over a couple of times. It was funny. I knew where I was, but I just couldn't get up.

"Normally you get a sting to the head and you come right. These sort of ones worry you a little bit. I feel a bit light headed, there's a bit of a headache and I just want to have a rest now. It makes you feel better that we won the game.

"I only remember the last bit, knocking the ball out of big Manu's arms. The doc said he was pretty happy with the way I am, but to go home and have a rest and he will see me in the morning."

Titans coach John Cartwright said the club would strictly adhere to its protocol in relation to head knocks.

"As long as Presto jumps through all the hoops, he'll be fine. If he doesn't he won't play," Cartwright said.

"It's too short a turnaround and he has a history of head knocks which is a bit of a concern. Not so much last year, but the year before he had a run of them. He'll have to pass all the tests."

Campbell provided many of the highlights, including the ball steal on Vatuvei, the matchwinning try and a short kick-off after the Warriors went to a 12-0 lead in the 23rd minute.

Campbell retrieved the ball himself from the kick-off and four tackles later the Titans opened their account with centre Joseph Tomane scoring his first try for the club.

Titans skipper Scott Prince also had little memory of the game after being taken late by Maloney when he put in a kick in the third minute, followed by a head clash with teammate Ash Harrison.

Cartwright had an issue with the late shot, saying referees were tough on such incidents last year and he thought there should have been a penalty at least.

Two other players - Warriors pivot James Maloney and the Gold Coast's Bodene Thompson - were charged with making dangerous contact with a kicker.

Neither will be suspended if they accept the early guilty plea.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Banned

i think we should buy hannant and packer next year for props, they would be great and they go forward and run hard. Here is my new looking team after what i have seen in round 1:

1.William Zillman
    2.David Mead
    3.Joseph Tomane
    4.Mat Rogers
    5.Kevin Gordan
    6.Preston Campbell
    7.Scott Prince
    8.Luke Bailey
    9.Nathan Friend
    10.Brad Meyers
    11.Anthony Laffranchi
    12.Ashley Harrison