Mannering confident he'll be fit to lead for start of NRL

New skipper Simon Mannering is confident he will be fit to take the field when the New Zealand Warriors open their National Rugby League season next week.

A hamstring injury suffered six weeks ago means Mannering missed the Warriors' three trial matches, which have brought wins over the Sydney Roosters and North Queensland and a draw last weekend with Manly.

However, the second rower expects to be able to lead the side come the round one fixture away to Gold Coast on March 14.

"Fingers crossed I'll be right," he said today.

"I should be back training at the end of the week.

"It's been a little frustrating, after doing most of the pre-season and then missing out on getting a couple of runs under the belt before the season starts, but these things happen."

Mannering's elevation to the captaincy, which he took over from prop Steve Price, came as surprise when the club announced the move late last year.

He was enjoying the role, although the injury meant it had been a little more low key than normal.

"It would have been nice to run out with the side at some stage before the season kicked off," he said.

"It's been pretty quiet. I've missed out on the trials and I've just been doing the rehab stuff. Things will pick up once the season kicks off and I'm excited and looking forward to it."

Opting for Mannering, 23, as skipper was one of a number changes the Warriors made in the wake of a disappointing 2009, when they went from one of the pre-season favourites to failing to make the playoffs.

He said the team had put last year behind them and the focus was on the upcoming campaign.

"There's heaps of new faces and heaps of young guys, and guys that have come from Australia, and they were not part of that," he said.

"It's sort of a fresh start. There's a lot of enthusiasm in the side and everyone is keen to put their hand up for a spot."

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/