Default QCUP Round 1: Ipswich Jets vs Easts Tigers

Ipswich Jets vs Easts Tigers
    Sat, Mar 13 6:00 PM North Ipswich Reserve
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

IPSWICH

1. WILLIAM ZILLMAN
    2. RAMON FILIPINE
    3. BRENDON MARSHALL
    4. MARSHALL CHALK
    5. LUKE WALKER
    6. TODD RIGGS
    7. IAN LACEY
    8. PAUL STEPHENSON
    9. MICHAEL FISHER
    10. TYSON LOFIPO
    11. JACOB LING
    12. VILLI FAINGA’A
    13. ADAM BOETTCHER
    14. SMITH SAMAU
    15. WARREN SCHILLINGS
    16. KEIREN LANDER
    17. AJ GILBERT

EASTS TIGERS

1. LIAM CAMPBELL
    2. KEVIN STEPHENSEN
    3. JUNIOR AHIO
    4. PAOA FAAMITA
    5. ADAM BREEN
    6. JACE VAN DIJK
    7. TIM SMITH
    8. BEN VAEAU
    9. ISAAC KAUFMANN
    10. JAMES STOSIC
    11. MARK OFFERDAHL
    12. LAGI SETU
    13. ANTHONY BOYD
    14. JASON WILLIAMS
    15. MATT MCPHEE
    16. LEON PANAPA
    17. DEAN SHEPPARD

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Jets play with Biggs prospects

WILLIAM Zillman’s demotion from the Gold Coast Titans to the Ipswich Jets this weekend could have spelt bad news for Jarrod Biggs.

But Biggs must have done something right as he held his spot at the back for the Jets FOGS Cup team to play Easts tomorrow, despite Zillman being named the Jets Queensland Cup fullback.

Luke Walker, who has been starting at fullback for the Queensland Cup team during trials moves to the wing.

Biggs’ selection came in spite of his own modest appraisal of his trial form.

“There were good patches and mistakes, as there always is in trials,” he said.

It was not through lack of effort on Biggs’ part.

“Since Christmas I’ve tried really hard to commit to it, switch on a bit and improve,” he said.

Biggs credits FOGS coach Rhett Tronc with helping him and the team play some good football.

“We’ve lost (our trials) but we’ve started to come good,” the 2009 Ipswich Rugby League (IRL) player of the year said.

“Once we started to do what Rhett is teaching us.

“It is hard in trial games, there are a lot of changes.”

Biggs played Queensland Cup in 2006 but has noticed the huge rise in standards since then.

“Back then FOGS was a lot weaker,” he said. “FOGS Cup players now would have been playing Q Cup back then.

“I think that level just seems to be getting stronger and stronger.

“It is a massive step up from the IRL. The guys you are playing against are athletes, they’re all big and strong.

“I’m still getting used to it.

“There are not many times after games in the IRL where you have injuries in corks.

“After our first two trials I was struggling to get out of bed.”

Biggs has been working hard to bulk up but is struggling to put weight onto his 83kg frame.

“I want to play my best footy in FOGS and be at the stage where week-in, week-out I’m playing my best footy,” he said. “I want to get my standard and ability up.”

Yet Biggs is not harbouring thoughts of an elevation to the Queensland Cup squad just yet.

“It would be pretty optimistic to think about getting picked in the Q Cup,” he said.

The physical education student won’t be just waiting at the back for things to happen.

He was judged the IRL’s best last season because of the way he cut opposition defences to shreds when he got involved around the rucks, running into gaps.

“I don’t want to be out there waiting for the footy,” Biggs said.

“The way (Tronc) wants me to play is to follow the ruck area around the field looking for a chance to jump in.”

http://www.qt.com.au

Is this game being televised at all? I wouldnt mind watching it i really want to see Marshall Chalk and see what the hype is about...still disappointed that Zillman got dropped he was looking good

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by curly_11 View Post
    Is this game being televised at all? I wouldnt mind watching it i really want to see Marshall Chalk and see what the hype is about...still disappointed that Zillman got dropped he was looking good
    The ABC match is Burleigh v Wynnum so it won't be on TV
    #itaintweaktospeak

Ah thanks Pete. At least the TV game is one of our feeder teams.

We really need to get to more QCUP games.

Titans flyer William Zillman was outstanding for the Jets against Easts after missing selection for the Gold Coast's first game of the season against the Warriors.

Zillman scored tries either side of half-time and sparked two others as the Jets converted a 22-6 at half-time into a commanding 32-16 victory.

Luke Turgeon | March 15th, 2010
    #itaintweaktospeak

Courier Mail says William scored two and set two up. Well done Zillman!

Zillman on fast track to Titans

Ipswich Jets’ man of the match William Zillman dashes through a gap during his team’s impressive Queensland Cup victory at North Ipswich Reserve.

WILL Zillman was too good for the Easts Tigers defenders and Ipswich Jets coach Glenn Lazarus at North Ipswich Reserve on Saturday night.

Zillman, a Gold Coast Titans regular last season, played so well in the Jets’ 32-16 win over the star-studded Tigers he may not wear a green jersey again this season.

In his Jets’ debut, he scored two dazzling solo tries and had a major hand in three others, one of which came from a flick pass that would make Benji Marshall blush.

During the second half, when Zillman was near untouchable, Jets assistant coach Ben Walker told Lazarus to avoid talking about the custodian to Titans coach John Cartwright.

“Unfortunately, Trevor Gillmeister (Titans assistant coach) was watching the game, so I think Cartwright will find out how good he played pretty quick,” Lazarus said.

“He was magnificent for us but I think once the Titans see the tape he won’t be with us for long, which is unfortunate because he’s fitted in well with the team.”

Zillman admitted to “kicking stones” during the week when he was omitted from the Titans team.

“I spoke to my family and friends after I found out and it was pretty obvious that I just had to show the Titans I want to be in the NRL team,” Zillman said.

“It was my first Q Cup game and I really enjoyed it. All the boys were good to me through the week at training and it felt pretty easy to slot in to their structure.”

But the performance of Zillman and the Jets owed a lot to a strong forward display which kept the monster Easts pack, which included NRL regular Lagi Setu, on the back foot.

Lazarus said he was proud of his players after they responded to his call to make their home ground a fortress after last year’s season began with five straight losses.

“We needed to win this first up after what happened last year, we couldn’t have that happen again,” Lazarus said.

While Zillman is bound for a Titans recall, former NRL rookie of the year Tim Smith looks set to spend the next few rounds in the Queensland Cup after an average performance.

Likewise, regular Broncos forward Setu had an inconsistent game.

Zillman was hopeful of a rebirth in the NRL on the Titans interchange bench.

When Zillman was asked what he was thinking when he unloaded his remarkable second half flick pass – which came despite him spinning and having two defenders on his back – he began laughing.

“I don’t even know what happened,” Zillman said.

“My head was on a swivel and I was being turned around and then I heard a call on the inside so I just flicked it up and it worked out.”

Just like everything else Zillman tried that night.

Ipswich Jets 32 (Will Zillman 2, Callum Waldrum, Michael Fisher, Paul Stephenson, Smith Samau tries; Brendon Marshall 4 goals) d Easts Tigers 16 (Kevin Stephensen, Ben Vaeau, Leon Panapa tries; Tim Smith 2 goals).

http://www.qt.com.au/

Young Jet soars in Q-Cup call up

DESPITE having just 24 hours notice that he would be playing his first Queensland Cup game, Ipswich Jets colt Callum Waldrum showed why he was handed the senior side’s coveted number 7 jersey.

The 18-year-old was thrown into the Jets’ top outfit after veteran halfback Ian Lacey aggravated a quad strain on match eve.

Waldrum gave the Jets creativity in attack, having a significant hand in their 32-16 win over the Easts Tigers at North Ipswich Reserve on Saturday night.

The light-footed five-eighth scored the Jets’ first try after picking up the scraps from a Todd Riggs bomb.

But Waldrum soon showed he could do more than just be in the right place at the right time.

He chased down an Easts player who looked certain to score.

He took Easts star Lagi Setu head-on several times and threw a sublime no-look short ball for William Zillman to scoot away and eventually link with Smith Samau for one of the game’s many spectacular tries.

The apprentice plumber, who was the outstanding player in last year’s Jets colts’ team, said he was amazed at the intensity in the Queensland Cup.

“It was more full-on than I expected actually,” Waldrum said.

“I was not that nervous beforehand and all the boys were geeing me up through the game and making me feel comfortable.

“It was a good experience and hopefully I can get another chance in the side soon.”

Waldrum may have an extended run in the Jets side after five-eighth Todd Riggs suffered a knee injury which may rule him out of next week’s match against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval.

Jets coach Glenn Lazarus was impressed with Waldrum.

“I told him before the game, I don’t need you to score five tries, just make the tackles you need to and be there in support,” Lazarus said.

“If Riggs or Lacey are not right next week, then Callum will certainly get another run.”

The Jets match was interrupted by a 10-minute delay when one of the ground’s light towers failed.

Players milled around the centre of the field as the referees debated how long they had to wait before possibly cancelling the game. The players all wanted to continue playing despite one corner of the ground being dark.

Meanwhile, the maligned pitch in the middle of the North Ipswich Reserve caused a handful of players to slip but there were no injuries and players reported they were not bothered by it.

A match attracted a healthy crowd, larger than most of last year’s crowds at Briggs Road.

http://www.qt.com.au/