SOUTH SYDNEY - $1.71
    GOLD COAST - $2.18
    Thats encouraging........ *runs off to TAB*

Titans 1-6 $6.50
    Titans 7-12 $7.00
    Titans 13-18 $8.00
    Titans 19+ $8.50

Time to kick off my gambling season
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Rabbitohs v Titans Preview
    ANZ Stadium - Friday 8.35pm (AEDT)

Neither of these purported premiership contenders came out and impressed in Round 1 – but one managed to sneak home with a win, the other was sent home with its tail between its legs. If either are to be among the finals contenders come September – and in today’s game, you need to be in from the start – then this week they’ll want to be a lot stronger.

Last week, it was defence that let both down. The Titans were rusty in the first half at home to the Warriors and were caught off guard by a team ready to prove they’re in it to win it this season. But a half-time deficit of just six points was enough for them to run down the New Zealanders, who didn’t score a point in the second half.

Hooker Nathan Friend tackled himself out of his skin, making 49 by the final whistle and he may need a similar effort against a Rabbitohs attack that knows how to break the line.

Souths may have headed into their Sunday afternoon match last week believing it was in the bag before a ball had been kicked. Last year the Roosters were easy beats, but a couple of new faces, a new coach and new attitude showed they’re set to be the force they were five years ago.

Souths were exposed around the ruck, with the Roosters doing damage early in the tackle count making 43 runs from dummy-half to gain 394 metres. Indeed, Carney, Minichiello, Kenny-Dowall and Perrett gained 351 metres this way.

The threat of that may not be so great against the Titans, however, who were less reliant on dummy-half running last year and made more ground through their hard-working forward pack. But they will have watched the tapes and identified Souths’ ruck weakness.

The Titans, too, will have to be on their game defensively, as the Rabbitohs love to chance their hand and in 2009 sat second on the try-scoring table – just one behind the West Tigers – with 102. They favour the right side, where Nathan Merritt plays, with 50 scored there last year. Indeed, it was Merritt who crossed for their two tries last week and could have probably crossed two more times.

The Titans, on the other hand, were fairly evenly spread across the park last season, but scored nearly 10 tries more through the middle than anywhere else.

Statistically in 2009, not a lot separated these two teams. Gold Coast made just more than 100 more runs and kicked only once more; Souths made just three more line-breaks, offered up two more try assists and less than 20 more offloads.

But will all that matter on Friday night? Probably not. If anything was learnt from last weekend’s games, it was that the new season has sounded and last year’s form will mean little. It’s time to adapt if you’re going to be part of it.

Watch out Titans: He was a constant threat last year, and will be the same threat this year. If the Rabbitohs want something to happen, they look for Nathan Merritt.

Last year he gained the second most metres in the team behind Luke Stuart, and he was again second with 140 metres behind Sam Burgess’s best of 144 metres last Sunday.

He scored 19 tries last year and made 17 line-breaks and against the Roosters he broke the line twice for two tries, which should have been at least three, and made five tackle-breaks. If the Titans want to keep their points-conceded down, they need to contain this man.

Watch out Rabbitohs: Does it really need to be said? Scott Prince wins games and last weekend his composure was the key to the Gold Coast running down the Warriors. When the ball is in his hands, teams need to shut him down.

Last year he kicked 259 times for a staggering 7689 metres, he offered up 20 line-break assists, nearly all through passes, and racked up 23 try assists.

When the Titans needed a spark last week they turned to Prince. He received the ball 30 times in the second half, compared to 19 in the first, offering him more opportunity to put the ball on his pinpoint boot, that has kicked at nearly 80 per cent for his career.

Where it will be won: The Titans will again look to their big men like Meyers and Bailey to hit it up the middle and break through Souths’ noted weak defence, which missed 43 tackles last week. If the Rabbitohs can tighten up around the ruck and nullify those runs – and Chris Sandow appears to have been working on his tackling deficiencies, finishing last week on top of the one-on-one tackler stats with seven – they’ll go a long way to upsetting the visitors.

The History: Played 5: Titans 3, Rabbitohs 2. The Titans have a slight overall edge, but at ANZ, the Rabbitohs are on top, having won two of the three played there.

But last year Gold Coast were victorious in both their match-ups, interestingly by the same scoreline: 22-14.

Conclusion: Souths were rattled by the ‘upset’ against the Roosters last week and will want to show they aren’t just a strong team on paper. Captain Roy Asotasi said this week it was a wake-up call of sorts; they’ll be better prepared for this game, both mentally and physically.

Gold Coast probably received a wake-up call themselves, despite getting away with the two points. They’ve improved their form on the road slightly over the years, but are still considered an easier team to play when not at Skilled Park.

It’ll be a tight match and Souths are sitting as favourites at the moment. Expect lots of points, but the Rabbitohs should just edge out Gold Coast.

Match officials: Referees: Ashley Klein & Tony de Las Heras; Sideline Officials: Steve Chiddy & Gavin Morris; Video Ref: Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live from 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW). Fox Sports 2 – Delayed Sat 1am.

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

these previews are so often wrong! but going in apparent underdogs wont harm us, less pressure to win. Over to you Bunnies...
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Junior Titan

i dont take to much in from those odds,we should win this game but will need to be a lot better than last week

Yea as a Queenslander I don't mind the underdog tag. All the pressure will be on the Bunnies and as Karnage says, their fans may turn on them if things run foul early.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Sandow is RUBBISH.
    I squirm everytime I hear Sandow and Origin mentioned in the same sentence. I cannot see what others believe in this fellow

Presto ruled out of Titans' bunny hunt

GOLD Coast Titans star Preston Campbell has lost his battle to be fit for tomorrow night's NRL clash with South Sydney.

Despite showing signs of improvement throughout the week after suffering concussion against the Warriors last Sunday, a decision was made this morning to rest Campbell from the clash with the Bunnies.

Campbell, who turned in a man-of-the-match performance against New Zealand, will be replaced by William Zillman at fullback against Souths.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Lozza's NRL round two preview

South Sydney v Gold Coast Titans, ANZ Stadium, Sydney (8:35pm EDT)

I am expecting a lot from South Sydney in this match after they failed to deliver in round one. Whether they can turn it around in five days is another question. Gold Coast Titans will fancy their chances. They weren't overly impressive last week but they did still win, and I think this is a good time for them to play Souths - while the Rabbits' forward pack is still trying to gel. I don't know if Souths can play as bad as they did against Sydney Roosters but until they show me something I'm prepared to go with the team that finished third last year. The Titans have plenty of points in them and should have too much for Souths.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Minichiello to play 150th game against Souths
    Adam Gardini

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans backrower Mark Minichiello is set to play his 150th NRL match when he lines up against his former club, the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium tomorrow night.

After celebrating two tries and a Jetstar Titans win against the Rabbitohs the last time the two clubs met at ANZ Stadium in late 2009, Minichiello will be hoping for another strong performance against his former club.

Although the Rabbitohs' playing roster bears little resemblance to the club which he spent four years with from 2003-2006, the City Origin forward said he enjoyed the challenge against Souths.

"It's always nice to reach milestones, 150 is pretty good and quite exciting and I always look forward to playing my old club," he said.

"I've played alongside a couple of players in Luke Stuart and Scott Geddes but there's not too many left from when I was there, they've got a total new look side and are looking to improve."

Minichiello lines up in a Jetstar Titans forward pack which is prepared for a tough battle against a Rabbitohs pack which boasts the likes of highly touted Englishman Sam Burgess along with Roy Asotasi, Dave Taylor and Michael Crocker.

Souths are expected to be fired up after suffering a 36-10 opening round loss to the Sydney Roosters last weekend.

Titans v Souths
    ANZ Stadium
    Friday, March 19

19 William Zillman
    2 Kevin Gordon
    3 Mat Rogers
    4 Joseph Tomane
    5 David Mead
    6 Greg Bird
    7 Scott Prince ?
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Brad Meyers
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    14 Matthew White
    15 Sam Tagataese
    16 Bodene Thompson
    17 Riley Brown
    18 Will Matthews
    Coach John Cartwright

http://www.titans.com.au

A bummer about Presto, but I'm looking forward to seeing Zillman. He was awesome for the Jets last week. Check out the match highlights @ http://www.qrl.com.au/
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Gold Coast Titans' Greg Bird promises his best against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium

CONTROVERSIAL Gold Coast recruit Greg Bird has issued a chilling warning to South Sydney, vowing to take his frustrations out on the Rabbitohs in tomorrow night's NRL clash at ANZ Stadium.

Outlawed from the 2009 NRL following a string of off-field indiscretions, Bird endured a forgettable comeback in the Titans' 24-18 escape against the Warriors last Sunday.

The burly five-eighth committed a series of uncustomary handling errors, missed three tackles and gave up an intercept try in a howler at Skilled Stadium.

The former NSW Origin and Kangaroos player says he is still dirty with himself.

He was left so filthy with himself he refused to talk to media and even coach John Cartwright afterwards.

But, breaking his silencetoday, Bird pledged to atone against the Rabbitohs who are themselves under pressure after their 36-10 round-one flop against the Sydney Roosters.

"I'm disappointed in myself but there's no better way to get over it than to get out there and have a good game and blow it out of the water,'' Bird said.

"It was a win and come round 25 no-one will notice how you played in that game. You got the two points at the end and you build on that this week.''

Bird says his teammates will have to be wary themselves of a Bunnies backlash.

"A lot of people have been talking about them and they'll be disappointed with their first round,'' he said.

"(Sam) Burgess in particular and it's going to be a big test for our blokes in the middle.

"It's hard to say (what Souths' biggest weakness is). I can't really make a judgment on them because I haven't seen a lot of their games for a while.

"I've only seen the one game they played last week and as with us, you can't really know how a team's going on one game, they could come out this week and play a completely different style of football.

"We played them in the trial and they were strong, so we'll be expecting a strong game pretty much all over.''

One big positive for Bird has been coach Cartwright's response to his less than inspirational first game for the Titans.

Cartwright shrugged off Bird's errors, saying he was pleased with the way his new recruit's aggression and enthusiasm had rubbed off on the other players, something Bird has taken on board.

"It is a positive, I always like to think of myself as my own worst critic but I was disappointed, I thought I made a fair few errors and I'll have to make up for that this week,'' he said.

Titans forward Ashley Harrison said Bird has settled into the team well.

"Like any player coming to a new club it takes a little bit of time to get your footy 100 per cent where you want it,'' the Queensland Origin player said.

"Last week Birdy brought a lot of aggression to our team and I'm sure he's just going to get better as the weeks go on.

"It's infectious and he's great to have around the side.''

Titans match-winner Preston Campbell has pulled out of the game after being advised against flying to Sydney following a head knock last week.

William Zillman has replaced him at fullback.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1225842488297

Greg Bird returns to play in Sydney for Gold Coast Titans against South Sydney Rabbitohs

IT HAS been 573 days since Greg Bird last played an NRL game in Sydney - and the controversial new Titans' recruit still remains unsure of what kind of welcome he will receive back in his home- town tonight.

Bird's life was turned upside down hours after he had starred in the Sharks 20-0 romp over the Roosters in August 2008.

After a drawn-out court case, which eventually cleared him of glassing girlfriend Katie Milligan - but not before anti-Bird resentment among league fans had helped run him out of Sydney - Bird will return against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

Bird refused to talk after his lacklustre Titans' debut last Sunday, but finally broke his silence as he touched down in Sydney.

"It's been a while since I've played down here, but I'm looking forward to it," Bird said.

"I've always had it in the back of my mind - I knew what had happened legal-wise that everything would be sorted - and I'd come back and play football. It doesn't really bother me to be honest (how I'm received).

"I'm received well on the Gold Coast, I'm happy up there, and I don't expect it to be any different down here."

A smiling Bird then added: "Maybe you'll have to ask me after the game how I feel about playing back here."

Titans' coach John Cartwright expects Souths fans to get stuck into Bird, but it has nothing to do with his off-field dramas.

"He's copped flak wherever he goes, most great players in opposition sides do," Cartwright said. "He's been used to that sort of thing for a long time because of the way he plays, he gets in their faces and opposition teams don't like it."

See who's in and who's out in Friday Footy Form

Bird, who spent last season in the English Super League, said he may have been a victim of trying too hard during his NRL return in the 24-18 win over the Warriors.

"It wasn't the speed of the game, it was probably mental more than anything," said Bird, who finished with several handling errors.

"People often say you can get caught up in trying too hard, and that's probably what happened.

"I've spoken with the coach and coaching staff during the week and they've put their confidence in me to go out and relax and play my own game.

"My defence will be the same this week, I just won't try and play my hand too much with the ball. Never in my career have I had bad hands and it was frustrating me, and that frustration was compounded the more I dropped the ball."

"But that's a week finished, we got two points and it's time to move on. It's a long season to make up for it."

In a blow to Bird's Sydney home-coming and the Titans' hopes, Preston Campbell has been ruled out because of the effects of concussion he was still feeling from last weekend's match. William Zillman will now start at fullback.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1225842488297

Friday: Fine. Mostly sunny. Light to moderate northwest winds and afternoon seabreezes
    Hoping for a dry track!

With less than 2 minutes to go before the break you do not do a chip kick off your own goal line.
    What the hell was he thinking?

I'm gonna pretend I didn't see Kevin do that
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....