Default Indigenous Test or World Cup team no-go

Searle: Indigenous Test or World Cup team no-go

HE may be one of the brains behind the hugely successful Indigenous All Stars concept but Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle says he never wants to see an indigenous rugby league team play a Test or the World Cup.

Searle says State of Origin has nothing on the passion shown by the Indigenous All Stars players ahead of their inaugural clash on Saturday night at Skilled Park against an NRL line-up.

He even warned the NRL All Stars that they had better match the Indigenous side's intensity otherwise they would get 'steamrolled' at Skilled Park.

But Searle -- who came up with the All Stars concept with Titans playmaker Preston Campbell -- did not want to see an indigenous representative side put together.

"Having spoken to a lot of the (Indigenous All Stars) players they really appreciate the chance to play for their people," said Searle yesterday.

"But at the end of the day ... the most important thing you can do is represent your country.

"I would hate to see it diminish the importance of the Australian jersey.

"I think the players see this (All Stars game) as an incredible opportunity that no other code provides in our country. But I think the boys see it as an annual event and in a few months' time, they get a chance to represent their country."

However, Indigenous All Stars halfback -- and Titans captain -- Scott Prince could be at odds with his club boss as he adopted the 'never say never' approach when asked about a representative team.

"It's up for a bit of debate, a lot of people have differing opinions," he said.

"But they never thought that this (All Stars event) would happen, so anything is possible."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Anything is possible and it happened in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup with a Maori World Cup team.

I totally support the Indigenous All Stars and I think there should an exhbition game between them in the Maori like at the 2008 World Cup.

Having a game such as the All Stars is a great and positive thing, having an indigenous World Cup team would be nationally devisive and also undermine the credibility of international rugby league.

Let's go for an annual All Stars and then let them represent against the Maori, another very important cultural group for rugby league, at every World Cup cycle.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER