View Poll Results: Who will you be cheering for?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • NRL All-Stars

3 10.34%
  • Indigenous All-Stars

19 65.52%
  • None/Both/Don't Care

7 24.14%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Indigenous All Stars nominees

All Stars Home The ARL Indigenous Council in cooperation with the 16 NRL Clubs has determined a list of all players who are eligible for consideration in the team. It is now up to the official selectors of the game - the fans, to choose the side who will take the field in February next year.

Public voting for the Indigenous All Stars opens during the Four Nations tournament through www.nrl.com. The fans are being asked to select 16 Indigenous players.

They will be under the leadership of Ken Stephen Award winner Preston Campbell and will be joined by an additional three players who will be chosen by the ARL Indigenous Council selectors and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry to form the 20-man squad.

Fans have less than a month to cast their vote for the Indigenous All Stars with voting officially closing on Sunday, November 15, 2009.

Nominated players eligible for the Indigenous All Stars include:

Player Team
    Albert Kelly Cronulla Sharks
    Anthony Mitchell Parramatta Eels
    Beau Champion South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Ben Barba Canterbury Bulldogs
    Ben Jones Sydney Roosters
    Ben Orcher Cronulla Sharks
    Blake Ferguson Cronulla Sharks
    Brad Tighe Penrith Panthers
    Brenton Bowen Gold Coast Titans
    Carl Webb Nth Qld Cowboys
    Chris Sandow South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Cory Paterson Newcastle Knights
    Daine Laurie Penrith Panthers
    Dane Nielson Melbourne Storm
    Donald Malone Nth Qld Cowboys
    Esi Tonga Gold Coast Titans
    Fred Briggs Canterbury Bulldogs
    George Rose Manly Sea Eagles
    Greg Inglis Melbourne Storm
    Ian Lacey Gold Coast Titans
    Jake Friend Sydney Roosters
    Jamal Idris Canterbury Bulldogs
    Jamie Simpson South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Jamie Soward St George-Illawarra Dragons
    Jarrod Sammut Penrith Panthers
    Jharal Yow Yeh Brisbane Broncos
    Joel Moon Warriors
    Joel Romelo Penrith Panthers
    Joel Thompson Canberra Raiders
    Johnathan Thurston Nth Qld Cowboys
    Jonathan Wright Parramatta Eels
    Josh Hoffman Brisbane Broncos
    Justin Carney Canberra Raiders
    Justin Hodges Brisbane Broncos
    Kurtis Lingwoodock Brisbane Broncos
    Luke Kelly Melbourne Storm
    Luke Walsh Penrith Panthers
    Matt Bowen Nth Qld Cowboys
    Maurice Blair Penrith Panthers
    Michael Bani Nth Qld Cowboys
    Michael Lett St George-Illawarra Dragons
    Nathan Merritt South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Obe Geia Nth Qld Cowboys
    P J Marsh Brisbane Broncos
    Palmer Wapau Brisbane Broncos
    Rhys Wesser South Sydney Rabbitohs
    Robert Lui Wests Tigers
    Sam Thaiday Brisbane Broncos
    Scott Prince Gold Coast Titans
    Shannon Hegarty Nth Qld Cowboys
    Shannon Walker Gold Coast Titans
    Timana Tahu Parramatta Eels
    Tom Learoyd ? Lahrs Canberra Raiders
    Travis Waddell Canberra Raiders
    Ty Williams Nth Qld Cowboys
    Wendell Sailor St George-Illawarra Dragons
    William Isa Melbourne Storm
    Willie Tonga Nth Qld Cowboys
    Yileen Gordon Canterbury Bulldogs
    Zac Merritt Canberra Raiders

Source: http://www.nrl.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Bennett relishes chance to coach Anzac dynamos

WAYNE BENNETT has won six premierships, coached two countries to the top of international rugby league and seemingly achieved everything conceivable in an illustrious career. But there's one thing on his wish list he can't wait to tick off - the opportunity to coach Benji Marshall and Darren Lockyer at the same time.

Bennett will get that chance as the coach of the NRL All Stars against the Indigenous All Stars in a historic clash to open the 2010 rugby league season.

The veteran mentor said he was excited by the concept, which honours the contribution of indigenous communities to rugby league, and hoped it would become an annual fixture. He even joked his opposition's talent pool was so large he regretted ''they didn't offer me the indigenous coaching job''.

However, he will be compensated with a chance to coach two of his favourite modern-day players, Australian captain Lockyer and Kiwis counterpart Marshall.

''I know that Benji has a huge admiration for Lockyer and I know Locky admires him,'' Bennett told The Sun-Herald.

''You've got one at the end of his career and one in the prime of it.

''To have this opportunity [to coach them simultaneously], which you wouldn't get in any other circumstances, is something in itself and shows how good the concept is.

''In my involvement in the New Zealand team I thought [Marshall] was absolutely wonderful.

''I've worked with Locky for something like 13 or 14 years and I know what they both bring.

''I said to someone recently, 'I'll just be the facilitator that week, I won't be doing much coaching'.

''I'll step back for those two guys and they can just have it.''

The Australian and New Zealand captains and vice-captains are automatic selections for the All Stars, but the remainder of the 20-man squads will be selected by fans. Players eligible for the indigenous side include some of the biggest names in rugby league, with the likes of Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis, Preston Campbell, Wendell Sailor, Scott Prince and Justin Hodges to choose from.

''They have a huge array of talent,'' Bennett said. ''Hodges ? Inglis ? It's a hell of place to start and I haven't thought much outside of that. They are great players with wonderful attacking ability that excites you. We have to somehow try to defend it.

''That's what the Aboriginal boys bring to the game, those wonderful skills you and I could only dream about. I've been to some of their carnivals over the years and they bring a great passion whenever they come together or play against each other. It will be a very proud occasion for them and we'll have to be very committed.''

Bennett said the event, to be held on the second anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the stolen generation, was a fitting celebration of indigenous talent.

Asked to name some of his favourite indigenous players, the veteran mentor reeled off a list of famous and obscure names dating back nearly half a century. Arthur Beetson, Mal Meninga and John ''Chicka'' Ferguson all rolled off the tongue. And then there was the likes of Wynnum-Manly winger Lionel Morgan, the first indigenous Australian to be selected in a recognised Test match. Newtown's Lionel Williamson and former Broncos halfback Gary French were highly regarded. There's a Bennett story behind almost every name.

''I played with a guy called Chips Harrington [Noel Harrington],'' he recalled. ''Chips had a big belly, who played at Brothers. Every time his belly was hard, he was fit. That normally happened around September.''

While the punters will decide on the final make-up of the squads, Bennett said there was a cult hero who picked himself.

''You can't pick an indigenous team without the great Wendell [Sailor] somewhere while he's still in the throes of playing football,'' he said. ''Regardless of what happens [with his playing future], there'll be a place for him. The other thing with the indigenous boys is they don't talk it up too much. They'll need him to be their spokesman.''

Asked if it would be the farewell match for Sailor, who is yet to declare if he'll continue in the NRL, Bennett replied: ''That's for him to decide down the track.''

http://www.smh.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Default NRL All-Stars vs Indigenous All-Stars Match (Skilled Park, Gold Coast)

These are on sale to NRL members from tomorrow.

You should have received an email from ticketek with your unique code to access tickets during the members only window.

NRL All Stars v Indigenous All Stars Ticket Information

General public tickets for the game go on sale at 9am Monday, October 26, 2009.

NRL Club members are entitled to an exclusive pre-purchase ticket offer from 9am Wednesday, October 21, 2009. MyNRL ...members are can pre-purchase tickets from 9am Thursday, October 22, 2009. Anyone can become a MyNRL member for free by registering at www.nrl.com.

Tickets are available through Ticketek on 132 849, at Ticketek outlets or online at http://www.ticketek.com.au. New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.

Get behind this match Titans fans! Our boss Michael Searle pushed through with this fantastic idea and I think he would love to see Titans fans embrace it.

It's up to the Gold Coast to embrace the event and give it the respect and position it deserves. Let's show em how it is done.

I am really excited about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    These are on sale to NRL members from tomorrow.

You should have received an email from ticketek with your unique code to access tickets during the members only window.
    I never received my unique code but no matter. I'll just lob at the Titnas store in the morning.

You don't know how much tickets are do you Brad? No pricing on the Ticketek site...and I am sitting on the lounge and am way too lazy to get up and go to the fone...

All Stars Ticket Categories and Prices
    Cat 1: Adults $65.00 Concession $55.00 Child $40.00 Family $170.00
    Cat 2: Adults $45.00 Concession $40.00 Child $30.00 Family $120.00
    Cat 3: Adults $25.00 Concession $20.00 Child $15.00 Family $65.00

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestn...d/default.aspx

Which team will everyone be supporting? I figured I'd probably support the team with the most Titans in it, which looks like it will be the Indigenous team.

It's a tough question on who to support. I think I will be supporting both and enjoying the festive atmosphere. Probably NRL All-Stars just for the sake of it, to be different. If they release a jersey I'll grab one.

I really enjoyed supporting the Indigenous team at the World Cup opener. And I can tell you first hand that that match brought so many new people to the game. They got there hours early for the match and it meant the world to them.

The placement of the game in February, as the first big game of the season is also fortunate because it means everyone will be in high spirits and you wont get the competitive mind set from the NRL fans that you get during Origin and towards the NRL Finals.

It will be a very feel good spirit.

Also I'm very happy with the ticket prices, cheaper than a NRL game! You can get 8 tickets per NRL Club Membership.

Yea come to think of it Amaline,... how could I go past the Indigenous All-Stars. Being captained by the best rugby league player ever and Gold Coast hero PRESTON CAMPBELL! It is a no brainer, we'll be behind our Presto!

Today is the day! Tickets are on sale. Really makes this match real now that tickets are being sold.

Click here to buy All-Stars tickets on ticketek.com.au On sale today from 9am AEST/Realtime.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 21-10-09 at 07:08 AM.

Yea come to think of it Amaline,... how could I go past the Indigenous All-Stars. Being captained by the best rugby league player ever and Gold Coast hero PRESTON CAMPBELL! It is a no brainer, we'll be behind our Presto!
    I think this is what was tipping me in that direction.

Has there been any announcements on an opening game? Perhaps an Under 20's all-stars? Or maybe something like a bunch of competitions. Longest field goal, longest pass, 100 metre race etc. That last one could be interesting.

All-Stars venue map for Skilled Park

Well I ended up geting 8 Cat 3 tickets in Section 16, southern end. I wanted to try and get Section 30 but couldn't get through on the phone. Gotta go to uni soon as well.

Really really happy to have these tickets!

Well I ended up geting 8 Cat 3 tickets in Section 16, southern end. I wanted to try and get Section 30 but couldn't get through on the phone. Gotta go to uni soon as well.

Really really happy to have these tickets!
    I picked up a few in section 16 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    I picked up a few in section 16 too.
    I think I am in Row 13 or something.