View Poll Results: Who will you be cheering for?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • NRL All-Stars

3 10.34%
  • Indigenous All-Stars

19 65.52%
  • None/Both/Don't Care

7 24.14%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    But it won't be Australia they're playing, it'll be an NRL all star team. Plenty of kiwis to fill some roles and any Poms or whatever who happen to be playing over here.

Might even give some fringe players a bit of a run.
    oh yeah thats true, didnt think about it like that haha. feel sorry for the selectors.

Tears and spears every year: call for two tribes to go to war again

TEARY Titan Preston Campbell told his team of brothers that it was the highlight of his career - that it beat a Dally M award, his premiership ring and all those great football things.

Wests Tigers' Daine Laurie claimed local kids followed him around the streets of Yamba, asking him to scrawl his signature on their arms, for almost a week after the Dreamtime rugby league game last October.

It was an event indigenous footballers old and young, never expected. Playing in a team of footballers of Aboriginal descent against a New Zealand Maori team had been unimaginable for Campbell and Laurie before last year.

"No way, no way. I never thought it would happen," Laurie said. "[Aboriginal] knock-out, that's as far enough as I'd go with the group back up home. But nothing big.

"Playing in the NRL, that's all right - playing for your own people and with your people, I felt relief. It's pretty good."

When Laurie and his teammates' dreams came true, every emotional moment was captured by a fly-on-the-wall documentary crew - and the program, When Two Tribes Go To War, will screen this Sunday at 7.30pm on NITV and Foxtel. It also features Carl Webb, Rhys Wesser and Dean Widders.

The match was so successful, there have been calls for it to be held annually. But Dreamtime team manager Sol Bellear said that while there was huge support for an annual event, there were also some obstacles.

"I'm pushing as hard as hell for it," Bellear said. "At the moment, we are sort of up against it. The NRL clubs have got to release their players [but] because of insurance, because of the money they invest in the players and all that, it's a difficult for them to do that. But, hopefully, I'm aware the Gold Coast Titans are trying to get an annual thing together they want to host. A letter has gone out to all the CEOs of the [NRL] clubs to have an Aboriginal side on the 25th of January each year.

"The Titans want to host it. It's something that may eventuate."

The game was played as a curtain-raiser to the World Cup last year and produced one of the most stirring scenes ever witnessed on a rugby league field.

When the Kiwi haka was screamed at the Australian players, it resulted in spears being stuck into the ground at the toes of the Maori players. "I thought I'd smack one of them," Laurie said "They tried to get real close. They tried to scare us. But that ain't going to work with us. No way in the world. They'd have to try a bit better than that."

Laurie said the match left an indelible impression on him and his people. "I was over the moon playing in that team," he said. "Every single person was asking for a spare guernsey. They haven't even asked me for a Tigers guernsey yet. I lost my auntie back up there in Yamba on Friday. I went home for the funeral and everyone is still asking for the guernsey for the Dreamtime side."

Bellear said the week was highly emotional and highlighted the importance of community spirit. "The emotion, it even continues on to today. People pull you aside and still talk to you about that game. Preston Campbell, he is one that hides his emotions but amongst all the brothers, he really let it slip."

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Plan for indigenous champs to play NRL all-stars

CLUBS will be asked today to throw their support behind plans to pit the game's indigenous stars against the rest of the NRL in a special event to be played each year on the eve of Australia Day.

The idea, inspired by Gold Coast player Preston Campbell and mooted by Titans chief executive Michael Searle, has the support of the game's highest-profile indigenous players, including Melbourne centre Greg Inglis and North Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston.

The concept will be discussed at today's meeting of chief executives in Sydney and Searle is hopeful it will be given the green light, with the inaugural game to be played next year.

Although the concept is in its infancy, Searle has put together a business plan and believes it could generate more than $2 million in revenue within three years.

Given the parlous financial position of many clubs, it represents a significant windfall for the game.

Next year's inaugural match would be played on the Gold Coast and that region is likely to be the venue for the foreseeable future, giving the Titans an important strategic advantage over the AFL, which will have a side based on the tourist strip from 2011.

Searle believes it could prove so popular it may eventually be put out to tender.

"It came about following a discussion I had with Preston Campbell after last year's World Cup," Searle said.

"He made an off-the-cuff remark where he said representing your country is one thing, but representing your people, that's special.

"He would love to be able to represent his people again. I think it's a really good way to celebrate the great contribution indigenous Australians make to our game."

To alleviate the load on clubs, Searle is proposing each NRL side provide one player only for the all-stars team.

That in itself could create some headaches when it comes to team selection.
    Imagine choosing between Melbourne pair Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.

Although selecting the team would prove an unenviable task, the prospect of pairing players such as Benji Marshall with Darren Lockyer in the halves would be mouth-watering, as would the idea of re-uniting former Bulldogs teammates Roy Asotasi and Steve Price in the front row.

The indigenous side would include players such as Matt Bowen, Wendell Sailor, Inglis, Thurston and Scott Prince.

Searle has toyed with the idea of allowing the public to have a hand by casting votes for players, much like the NFL and NBA do in the US with its all-star game.

The Titans chief executive has already broached the concept with the game's highest-profile indigenous players and it has their backing.

"We have talked to Johnathan Thurston, we have talked to Greg Inglis, we have talked to Preston Campbell. They will give it 100per cent support," Searle said.

The concept has attracted the interest of broadcasters.

"What the submission will say is we will ask the NRL to put the annual community carnival on the week before," Searle said.

"The NRL all-stars would then be out in the community all week leading into the game. The game would then be played on the eve of Australia Day."

Source: http://www.news.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Aboriginal Dream Team match

A TITANS plan to stage an Aboriginal Dream Team v NRL All Stars Test at Skilled Park in January 2010 was not only a coup for indigenous Australians but would help reclaim Australia Day for the Gold Coast.

Titans managing director Michael Searle yesterday won unanimous support from fellow NRL CEOs for the plan, which he believes would grow into State of Origin-like status.

But just as importantly, Searle believes the game, to be played on or on the eve of Australia Day, would help reclaim that day for families in this city.

This year's Australia Day celebrations on the Coast were marred by unruly behaviour by hordes of young revellers.

Titans news, photo galleries
    More NRL news

"The Gold Coast needs family friendly events on and around Australia Day instead of the debacle we had this year," said Searle. "Our community needs events around Australia Day to separate the families from the hoons."

Searle's proposal will today go before the Australian Rugby League's Indigenous Council.

"Subject to their approval we're are in full swing and planning the event for 2010," he said. "I am hopeful it will be on the Gold Coast but I do have to approach the Queensland Government to seek support.

"All profits will be going back into education and welfare programs. We are hoping to funnel substantial funds (possibly $2 million) into not only indigenous but also community programs."

NRL boss David Gallop is cautiously optimistic about the proposal but has concerns over player workload.

"It's certainly an exciting opportunity but it's a very packed program for our elite players and we need to be conscious of that as well," said Gallop, before adding that the NRL was keen to find a way for indigenous players to pay homage to their heritage.

"One thing we know for sure is our players are very proud of their heritage and we need to provide opportunities for them to show that pride," he said.

Despite concerns that some clubs would oppose the possibility of putting their stars on show, and at risk of injury in an additional match, there was plenty of support from other sides in the NRL.

"Anything that can promote the game and promote indigenous people, I'm a fan of it," said Sharks chief Tony Zappia.

Yet it's the support from the players themselves which will determine the success of such a concept. On that front Preston Campbell, an advocate of the plan and captain of the Australian Indigenous team at last year's World Cup, need not worry.

Test stars' Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis are among those to have already made contact and Manly captain Matt Orford says the Titans fullback will get his support.

"(Preston) has got some great ideas and he's a great ambassador for the indigenous people," said Orford.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

I vote that all 17 players wear Preston Campbell replica headgear, Nathan Merrit boots and Thurston mouthguards for the match.

1 player from each team is tricky. Maybe with a 17th from ESL or u20's.

Gidley
    Hayne
    Cooper
    Monaghan
    El Masri
    Lockyer
    Cronk
    Fitzgibbon
    Laffranchi
    Price
    Farah
    Civoniceva

Watmough
    Asotasi
    O'Donnell
    17th man

Dream Time Team tricky in the forwards, any guys in NYC or QLD cup?

Bowen
    Sailor
    Inglis
    Hodges
    Merrit
    Thurston
    Prince
    Webb
    Campbell
    Learoyd-Lahrs
    Daine Laurie
    Thaiday
    Idris

Sandow
    Soward
    Moon
    Tonga

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post

Gidley
    Hayne
    Cooper
    Monaghan
    El Masri
    Lockyer
    Cronk
    Fitzgibbon
    Laffranchi
    Price
    Farah
    Civoniceva

Watmough
    Asotasi
    O'Donnell
    17th man

Bowen
    Sailor
    Inglis
    Hodges
    Merrit
    Thurston
    Prince
    Webb
    Campbell
    Learoyd-Lahrs
    Daine Laurie
    Thaiday
    Idris

Sandow
    Soward
    Moon
    Tonga
    I like it!!

although i think i would change 2 positions

Gidley
    Hayne
    Cooper
    Monaghan
    El Masri
    Lockyer
    Benji
    Fitzgibbon
    Laffranchi
    Price
    Smith
    Civoniceva
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I like it!!

although i think i would change 2 positions

Gidley
    Hayne
    Cooper
    Monaghan
    El Masri
    Lockyer
    Benji
    Fitzgibbon
    Laffranchi
    Price
    Smith
    Civoniceva
    Yeah, it's a tempting option, but I'd rather a 3rd choice HB and 2nd choice hooker to no halfback at all

Dreamtime Team
    1. Matt Bowen
    2. Wendell Sailor
    3. Greg Inglis
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. Nathan Merritt
    6. Johnathan Thurston
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Carl Webb
    9. Preston Campbell (c)
    10. Corey Paterson
    11. Tom Learoyd-Lars
    12. Sam Thaiday
    13. Jamal Idris

14. Beau Champion
    15. Daine Laurie
    16. Willie Tonga
    17. Rhys Wesser

All Stars
    1. Kurt Gidley
    2. Joel Monaghan
    3. Jamie Lyon
    4. Matt Cooper
    5. Colin Best
    6. Darren Lockyer (c)
    7. Benji Marshall
    8. Steve Price
    9. Cameron Smith
    10. Petero Civoniceva
    11. Anthony Laffranchi
    12. Nathan Hindmarsh
    13. David Stagg

14. Willie Mason
    15. Anthony Topou
    16. Aaron Payne
    17. (Rookie of the year?)

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post

Gidley
    Hayne
    Cooper
    Monaghan
    El Masri
    Lockyer
    Cronk
    Fitzgibbon
    Tupou
    Laffranchi
    Price
    Farah
    Civoniceva

Watmough
    Asotasi
    O'Donnell
    17th man

Bowen
    Sailor
    Inglis
    Hodges
    Merrit
    Thurston
    Prince
    Webb
    Campbell
    Learoyd-Lahrs
    Daine Laurie
    Thaiday
    Idris

Sandow
    Soward
    Moon
    Tonga
    Forgot my Sharks player.

A fitting way to pay homage to our indigenous magicians
    Phil Gould

I love the plan to stage an annual rugby league match between the Aboriginal Dreamtime team and an NRL All Stars side. The proposal has real merit and should be an absolute must on the Australian Rugby League calendar.

This inspired suggestion is the brainchild of Gold Coast Titans chief executive Michael Searle. He wants the clash to be played annually at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast for the first four years and then have other cities and stadiums around the country tender for the right to host the event.

The Dreamtime team was a huge hit when they played an exhibition match during last year's World Cup against New Zealand Maori.

The All Stars team would comprise a player from each of the 16 NRL teams, and be selected by the fans on phone and website polls. The 17th player in the squad would be an invitational selection from Papua New Guinea's Kumuls team.

Initially Searle wanted some kind of mid-range representative fixture to be played on the Gold Coast to combat the competition the game is experiencing from rival codes in the area, but the involvement of the Dreamtime team has given the concept a new direction.

Searle said: "I have disclosed my vested interest that we as a club had to come up with an idea to block the build-up in 2010 and 2011 of AFL on the Gold Coast ? this is it - it will be a sell-out, no doubt."

An annual fixture such as this should attract huge interest from all sections of the community and business world. I also suspect we could approach the Federal Government to support such a match.

Kevin Rudd has said he is looking for indigenous programs such as this to assist with the unification of the Australian people. The Government gives $250,000 to help expand and develop the game among the indigenous population. I am very positive we could get good federal funding for such a game - especially when we include PNG in the All Stars side.

Perhaps we could even get the prime minister of the day to select the Dreamtime team each year in much the same way that he selects the Prime Minister's XI in cricket for their annual one-day match in Canberra against touring nations.

In terms of television rights, Channel Nine boss David Gyngell told me this week: "I think [an annual clash between the Dreamtime team and an All Stars team] is an outstanding idea.

"The thought of the fans getting involved to pick the All Stars team has tremendous appeal from a marketing sense. Provided the match was staged at the right time of year, Channel Nine would be very interested in broadcasting the game and I would be prepared to pay a rights fee for the privilege."

All 16 NRL chief executives gave 100 per cent support to the proposal. The ARL Indigenous Council - which includes William "Smiley" Johnstone, Sol Bellear and Larry Corowa as members - believed it would be a good way to show unity.

Searle also believed that, with a sell-out crowd, corporate support and potential media funding, the annual event would be highly profitable. He said: "We will earn $2 million from the event, of which $100,000 per club will go back to their educational and community programs, with an additional $400,000 [going] back into programs independent of the NRL."

Financial considerations aside, this match would also be a tremendous opportunity to highlight and promote the wonderful contributions that Aboriginal players have made to our game.

So much is written and spoken of the growing Polynesian influence in today's game, which has proven to be a real enhancement to the sport. Where the Polynesians are renowned for their size, strength and power in the collision, the Aboriginal footballer plays with skill, speed and unique instincts. They are players of great anticipation and finesse.

I used to marvel at the ball-playing talents of an Arthur Beetson; the silky smoothness of a David Peachey; the sixth sense of the mercurial Cliff Lyons. Andrew Walker was a player of unique natural talent. I loved his football. I played with a man called Ray Blacklock, the uncle of the more recent Nathan Blacklock. They were identical-style players of great awareness, speed and the special ability to take advantage of the talents of those around them.

None of the players I've mentioned could be harnessed in conventional structures or game plans. They were free spirits; capable of anything at any time. Their unpredictability and brilliance is what draws the crowd to them. They are true entertainers.

Aboriginal links with rugby league are longstanding and the community has produced some of the greatest names the game can boast. In 2001 the Indigenous Rugby League Team of the Century (2001) was named [see table]. You couldn't fit that lot under a salary cap!

An annual clash involving the Dreamtime team would undoubtedly represent great inspiration to all Aboriginal kids and show them that rugby league can offer a great career path for the dedicated athlete. In 2008 it was estimated the participation rate of NRL players with indigenous heritage was more than 11 per cent. I see no greater accolade for these players than to be chosen in their own team.

A Dreamtime versus All Stars clash would be a great way to open the rugby league season each year.

The clubs also gave their support to the concept of a game between an Indigenous Dreamtime team and an NRL All-Stars team on the Gold Coast in February, while the National Youth Competition will remain exclusively an under-20s competition at least until the end of 2011.

http://www.smh.com.au/
    Terribly exciting and fresh concept for rugby league which has so much to offer. Wow I really can not wait for this!

There are so many great aspects to this.

1. It's on the Coast! Great for us and the battle for hearts and minds
    2. We can see some unique combinations with English, Kiwi, Pacific and Aussie players
    3. Indigenous players will have a regular jersey to shoot for and expand on the fantastic match from the World Cup. Which was so well received by the public and government.
    4. Increases the game's community activities and resources
    5. Sell out crowd and party atmosphere.
    6. A new tradition around Australia Day
    7. An exciting rugby league event in a part of the year that is really flat rugby leaguewise.
    8. New TV product and when the Coast is done with it, it can be taken on the road.
    9. And much much more.

Melbourne looks to snatch DreamTime match from Gold Coast

NEXT season's inaugural match between the Indigenous DreamTime team and an NRL All Stars line-up could be played in Melbourne after interest from the southern capital to snatch it away from Gold Coast.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle, who is driving plans to stage the annual clash on February 13 to commemorate the anniversary of Kevin Rudd's national apology for the Stolen Generation, made the revelation on the eve of this weekend's Close The Gap round.

A meeting of NRL club chief executives the day of Origin III all but committed to playing the charity match from next year, but Searle said a decision on where it would be held was yet to be made.

''We are working hard towards 2010 being the inaugural year for the match, and we're in discussions and negotiations with the Queensland Government at the moment to see if it can be played in Queensland,'' he said.

''I'm still hoping that will be the case but we also have expressions of interest from Victoria and expressions of interest from NSW and, given that all of the money made from the game is going to be given to indigenous charities, we have a responsibility not to undersell it.''

The idea for the fixture came from the curtain-raiser to last year's opening World Cup match, in which the DreamTime team played NZ Maori before the Kangaroos-Kiwis clash. Many of the Australian players of Aboriginal heritage expressed a desire to represent their people as well as their country.

According to a survey of NRL players undertaken last month, 10.9 per cent, or 47 players, in its clubs full-time squads are indigenous.

That figure is slightly higher in the NYC under-20s competition.

''This is clearly a massive event,'' Searle said. ''I believe that rugby league has the highest number of indigenous players in Australian sport on a per capita basis. Imagine the players that will be involved.''

Under the model being considered for the selection of the teams, the public will have some input and it is proposed that the All Stars team would comprise of one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs, either including or in addition to the Australian and New Zealand captains in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament.

There is also a suggestion to invite a Papua New Guinea player.

The indigenous team would feature some of the biggest stars in the NRL, with St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward - the favourite to win this season's player of the year award - likely to have to settle for a place on the bench at best.

Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston, centres Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges and second-rower Sam Thaiday are certain selections, while the likes of Matt Bowen, Scott Prince and Nathan Merritt would also be expected to feature in an All Star back line.

Fitting the likes of Preston Campbell, Jamal Idris and Willie Tonga into the side could result in a number of positional changes, but the indigenous team would also be able to field a strong forward pack, with Carl Webb, Daine Laurie and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs all eligible.

''We are going to be able to come up with a very competitive side and there is already a lot of talk about who would be in and who will miss out,'' said NRL welfare manager Matt Francis, who was manager of the DreamTime team last year.

''AFL always claims to be the indigenous game but 60 per cent of the indigenous population lives in NSW and Queensland and we've got more indigenous people playing our game than AFL.''

Francis said that 20,000 people attended an Aboriginal tournament at Tweed Heads earlier this year and that some communities had already booked buses for the February 13 match, even though a venue had yet to be decided and the game was yet to be formally announced.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

This is ideal for the All-Stars V Dreamtime game.

They wanted to create a brand new and powerful event. And wanted to have a bidding process for regions to maximise support and funds.

The first few years should be held at the Gold Coast. We will put the event in good stead. From that there are heaps of locations which would be ideal. Victoria with their new stadium would be ideal. And it would be a sweetner from a rugby league prospective for us to promote the game in Victoria.

The voting process will add some much build up and excitement. Spark so many debates around the water coolers and lounge rooms. It would be a big buzz, especially at a time of the year when we are starving for footy.

I hope NRL Members get a window to buy tickets.

Thumbs up

NRL superstars set to collide on Coast

The Gold Coast will make rugby league history next season when Skilled Park hosts the inaugural match between the Indigenous DreamTime team and an NRL All Stars.

The official announcement will be made tomorrow at Robina as NRL stars Benji Marshall, Johnathan Thurston, Preston Campbell and North Queensland coach Neil Henry gather to launch the event, to be held on February 13 each year as a mark of commemoration for Kevin Rudd's apology to indigenous Australians.

Melbourne had made a play for the event but Skilled Park, home of the Gold Coast Titans, will now be the stage for a contest that will feature the game's biggest names, making it the football equivalent of an NBA All Star game with a deeper message.

Titans managing director Michael Searle was a leading proponent for the game and had been campaigning the Queensland Government to make a bid for the event.

"This is clearly a massive event," Searle told the Sydney Morning Herald last month. "I believe that rugby league has the highest number of indigenous players in Australian sport on a per capita basis. Imagine the players that will be involved."

The idea for the fixture came from the curtain-raiser to last year's opening World Cup match, in which the DreamTime team played NZ Maori before the Kangaroos-Kiwis clash. Many of the Australian players of Aboriginal heritage expressed a desire to represent their people as well as their country.

According to a survey of NRL players undertaken last month, 10.9 per cent, or 47 players, in its clubs full-time squads are indigenous. That figure is slightly higher in the NYC under-20s competition.

Under the model being considered for the selection of the teams, the public will have some input and it is proposed that the All Stars team would comprise of one player from each of the 16 NRL clubs, either including or in addition to the Australian and New Zealand captains in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament.

There is also a suggestion to invite a Papua New Guinea player.

The indigenous team would feature some of the biggest stars in the NRL, with St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward likely to have to settle for a place on the bench at best.

Australian halfback Thurston, centres Greg Inglis and Justin Hodges and second-rower Sam Thaiday are certain selections, while the likes of Matt Bowen, Scott Prince and Nathan Merritt would also be expected to feature in an All Star back line.

Fitting the likes of Preston Campbell, Jamal Idris and Willie Tonga into the side could result in a number of positional changes, but the indigenous team would also be able to field a strong forward pack, with Carl Webb and Tom Learoyd-Lahrs both eligible.

Possible Indigenous DreamTime team

Fullback: Preston Campbell (Titans)

Wing: Nathan Merritt (Rabbitohs)

Centre: Greg Inglis (Storm)

Centre: Justin Hodges (Broncos)

Wing: Jamal Idris (Bulldogs)

Five-eighth: Scott Prince (Titans)

Halfback: Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)

Prop: Carl Webb (Cowboys)

Hooker: Travis Waddell (Raiders),

Prop: Sam Thaiday (Broncos)

Second row: Tom Learoyd-Lars (Raiders)

Second row: Cory Paterson (Knights)

Lock: Willie Tonga (Cowboys)

Possible reserves Jamie Soward (Dragons), George Rose (Sea Eagles), Daine Laurie (Tigers), Wendell Sailor (Dragons), Jharal Yow Yeh (Broncos)