View Poll Results: Who will you be cheering for?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • NRL All-Stars

3 10.34%
  • Indigenous All-Stars

19 65.52%
  • None/Both/Don't Care

7 24.14%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
    Banned

actually being a big 5/8 believe it or not is good, thats why sometimes locks play 5/8

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

kk just he looks to big hahah and i have seen him play but hes quite alot bigger than he was 3 years ago hope he is 5/8 so hes no good at kciking though?

All Stars, Grand final in bumper gala

BUOYED by its resounding success, the All Stars game could soon be played the day before the NRL Grand Final as part of a gala weekend of football.

The match between the Indigenous and NRL All Stars may be shifted to emulate the NFL Pro Bowl which this year was played a week before the Super Bowl.

The rugby league community yesterday hailed the success of the inaugural match, won 16-12 by the Indigenous side on Saturday night at Skilled Park.

Gold Coast Titans chief executive and match organiser Michael Searle said the game would need to stabilise for a year or two before possibly being shifted to Grand Final weekend. The match would boast players from all clubs except those contesting the decider.

It would create a feast of NRL, with the possibility of the Grand Final being played in Sydney and the All Stars game in Queensland. The only negative could be the All Stars detracting from the decider.

"The players would rip and tear given their season is over. The weekend would be a highlight for rugby league," Searle said.

"I haven't spoken to [NRL chief executive] David Gallop about it yet. It may not come until the next TV deal [in 2012]. The game isn't part of the current TV deal.

"But when that comes, it could be played at the end of the season, maybe the day before the Grand Final, or even the Friday night before the Grand Final.

"I would like to keep the game on the Gold Coast for at least the next two years."

The game on Saturday night was torrid and passionate, with injured stars Kurt Gidley (knee/hamstring) and Darren Lockyer (upper arm) having scans today.

The most concern centres around Newcastle skipper Gidley.

Canterbury coach Kevin Moore praised the concept but felt it could be played the weekend before the premiership kick-off, which is generally a free weekend. "Players probably need a few hit-outs in trials before playing in a match of that intensity," Moore said yesterday.

"It would mean the players don't get a free weekend, but that's professional sport.

"You could give the players who play in the game less time in the trial games. But they would then be prepared for such a match."

SCG Trust CEO Jamie Barkley said he would love having the game played at the SFS.

"Should the game rotate between Queensland and NSW, we would love to have it at the SFS," Barkley said. "The game is a great way to showcase rugby league at the start of the year."

Despite the injury to Gidley, Knights coach Rick Stone wants the match as a regular part of the calendar.

"It was a helter-skelter game, the pace of the game was really up," Stone said. "The timeslot isn't bad. Players can play in the game and then have a rest from a trial."

Manly coach Des Hasler said the game could be taken overseas.

"It was fast and intense. There will be a few sore boys this morning," Hasler said. "I think the concept is fantastic. They just have to keep the concept fresh, maybe take it overseas. You could take that game to the world."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I would dislike the game being moved to the end of the season. But I could see merit in it. Players will be fitter and the risk and consequences of injury would be less. It would also be exciting to have two games to look forward to. And many of these players would have little to do during this time, unless were in the Kangaroos, Kiwis, Lions or Kumuls train-on squads.

But wouldn't having two games of such different significance lessen both the Grand Final and All Stars?

Id prefer it at the start of the season, where it is a stand alone game and where the timing means something.

We NEED a definitive start of the season, and this was such a success in that regard. And injuries can happen in any other trials or training.

Although going forward I do support somesort of compensation pay out from the Rugby League to the club in question.

BTW the game on Saturday met and far exceeded my expectations. The best thing and probably most uncontrollable was how the fans would embrace it. And they really enjoyed it in a fantastic spirit.

We have to have it at Skilled Park for a couple more years yet, to ensure the game becomes a must see/sell out event. And it can take that reputation with it when it moves to larger venues. Lang Park next!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

hhhahah stay on gc it is such a good thing for gc players not having to vary between places

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I would dislike the game being moved to the end of the season. But I could see merit in it. Players will be fitter and the risk and consequences of injury would be less. It would also be exciting to have two games to look forward to. And many of these players would have little to do during this time, unless were in the Kangaroos, Kiwis, Lions or Kumuls train-on squads.

But wouldn't having two games of such different significance lessen both the Grand Final and All Stars?

Id prefer it at the start of the season, where it is a stand alone game and where the timing means something.

We NEED a definitive start of the season, and this was such a success in that regard. And injuries can happen in any other trials or training.

Although going forward I do support somesort of compensation pay out from the Rugby League to the club in question.

BTW the game on Saturday met and far exceeded my expectations. The best thing and probably most uncontrollable was how the fans would embrace it. And they really enjoyed it in a fantastic spirit.

We have to have it at Skilled Park for a couple more years yet, to ensure the game becomes a must see/sell out event. And it can take that reputation with it when it moves to larger venues. Lang Park next!
    i don't think having before the grand final would be wise or after it as we may have injuries to burden the grand final and rep season at the end, and it would defiantely lessen the grand final and all stars game, i also think instead of spending lots on that stupid new afl stadium we should be extending the size of skilled park to like maximum 36,000 seats so we can host origins and way more roaring fans atmosphere.
    Anyways thats my views.

yeh gc afl not a good idea better to have a rugby union side cause only ex victorians will kind of like poms to gc united

how could they extend skilled park?

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I also think it shouldnt be every year i think it will die very qickly if so maybe every 2-3 years........

I think the timing this year was great. It 'started' the season allowing time for a bit of football hype to maybe increase club membership sales and then gave 4 weeks for clubs to get any injured back onto the field.

Every game obviously has its risks, including the trial matches.

I m not a fan of the idea of combining it with the Grand Final as it detracts from the effort the clubs have put in all year to make it to the finals. It also reduces the availability of who can play in it as the players in the finals would be reluctant to participate. Or from the other side if they do make themselves available it could detract from them concentrating on the finals games. It all just gets to messy.

Here's to 2015

Nope cant put before gf deff not but every year its exciting.

One of my lasting memories was the standing ovation the game got at full time. It was just all class from Rugby League fans.