View Poll Results: Who will you be cheering for?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • NRL All-Stars

3 10.34%
  • Indigenous All-Stars

19 65.52%
  • None/Both/Don't Care

7 24.14%
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default NRL All-Stars vs Indigenous All-Stars Match (Skilled Park, Gold Coast)

Coast to host Dream Team game

THE Gold Coast's Skilled Park will stage the National Rugby League's proposed new showpiece, an annual clash between an indigenous Dream Team and the NRL All Stars.

"This will be a yearly, one-off event as big as State of Origin," said Titans managing director Michael Searle, who unveiled the bold new concept to the game's top administrators in Sydney yesterday.

"This is a game that will allow indigenous Australians to represent their people. The All Stars will be the best of the best in the NRL.

"The clash will be held each year on the eve of Australia Day and at stake will be the Reconciliation Cup."

Searle said that he and the NRL's Player Welfare Manager Matt Francis had been working on the proposal for about 12 months.

"I have been working on the business model and Matty has been lobbying the players," he said.

"This has the potential to bring major new revenue into the game. It also something that is being driven by the indigenous players and I have no doubt that the players from both sides will embrace it."

Searle was part of a meeting of NRL CEO's yesterday and said the idea was warmly welcomed by all at the meeting.

He will now present a formal proposal to the NRL within two months, but is hopeful the Reconciliation Cup will be given the green light for January 25, 2010.

He said his blueprint would ask for the match to be held at Skilled Park for the first five years.

"The biggest challenge that we will face will be that the event will be head-hunted by Sydney and Melbourne," said Searle.

"But I would hope that since we have championed this idea that it will be retained in Queensland.

"I have no doubt Channel Nine would televise the event and the sponsorship and merchandise opportunities would be huge.

"This will be as popular and as sought after as Origin."

The plan is for the Reconciliation Cup to be the culmination of the community carnivals, which are already held throughout Australia by the NRL and promote healthy lifestyles.

Already behind the concept are indigenous league stars Johnathan Thurston, Greg Inglis and the Titans Preston Campbell, who captained the indigenous team at the recent World Cup, describing that as his proudest moment in the game.

The indigenous team would have a 'dream' backline including the likes of Thurston, Inglis, Scott Prince, Justin Hodges and Matt Bowen. Forward power would include Origin players Carl Webb and Sam Thaiday.

Thurston yesterday said all players he had spoken to were enthusiastic.

"To represent our people on an historic occasion in such a big game ... all the indigenous boys are right behind it and it is player driven," he said.

"Definitely it has the potential to be as big as Origin. There is some amazing (indigenous) talent out there and to see them all in the one side, the fans would love it."

Thurston said there was no problem with the timing of the game.

"By January 25 the boys would have been training since November, so no it's not too early."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This concept is absolutely tremendous, I was at the one at the World Cup kick off in Sydney and it was an amazing game and an amazing atmosphere. Many thousands of fans obviously made the trek out specially for the game and there was hundreds of aboriginal and maori jerseys and flags around.

I'm so confident that the Gold Coast will embrace this concept and that it will bring new revenue, fans and acclaim to the game.

This will be an Australia day tradition. I think sport can break down a lot of barriers and I'm sure this will be played and supported in the right spirit.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 05-03-09 at 12:49 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Seems a very good idea.I haved asked this before but what qualifies a player as "indigenous",how far back do they go ?

Quote Originally Posted by quins rl View Post
    Seems a very good idea.I haved asked this before but what qualifies a player as "indigenous",how far back do they go ?
    Good point, we really don't want any elegibilty loop holes in this one I hope they draw a clear line.

Can't wait for this, it'll be better than any International Test match.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I'd say if you can qualify for abstudy you can qualify for the dream team!

Not really sure what it is though. 1/8? 1/16?

Should be a great game, I'd love to see it become a regular fixture.

I'm so proud of Michael, Paul and the Titans for suggesting and champion such innovative concepts.

Can anyone think of an example of a club champion such an issue of this magnitude and taking it under their wing? I struggle to think of an example over the last couple of decades...

We need it to be on the Coast so we can develop it into a marque event with the way we embrace the game and the capacity crowds. From there it would be a highly sort after fixture that could rove around and be bid on.

Whose to say that the TV rights can't be sold to a network outside the rugby league sphere? I'm not sure where a game like this would fall into the current TV obligations. I'd say it would be a free agent.

So the All-Stars team could have islanders, kiwis, poms and other nationals as well.

GO THE ALL-STARS!!! No... go the Dreamtime Team! No go both! Where do I buy the tickets and the jerseys, I'm there!

This is a great concept.

I am also eligible to be the Dreamtime team mascot by the way. Im 1/8th and I got Abstudy at school. Just putting it out there just incase Michael is reading.

Diehard... The Dreamtime team jerseys from the world cup are still on sale at Rebel if you are keen. They are a stunning jersey.

I'm excited about this!

We could definitely get a sell out with all the people of the Gold Coast and Titans fans behind it. The media would be behind it in print, radio and television.

We can also promote it in SEQLD taking in Brisbane, Toowoomba and Ipswich, trying to get as many new people to this game as well. Invite and host indigenous community groups.

Have a series of other events and displays of cultural significance.

This match would bring so many new people to our game through interest and attention. We all know how valuable rugby league role models are to indigenous children, imagine a super star team.! That's a role model for anyone of any background.

Having a game of this class at the beginning of the game would also be a shot in the arm of our game when it needs it, at the start of the year when things are sluggish and the only real fixtures we have are the Charity Shield and World Club Challenge.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 06-03-09 at 07:56 AM.

been wanting to see this happen for a long time, cant wait. i reckon the dream team will be a very talented attacking team.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt_Beno View Post
    been wanting to see this happen for a long time, cant wait. i reckon the dream team will be a very talented attacking team.
    It would be mouth watering. Both sides could field amazing teams. And the competitiveness will be a big draw card.

It will be exciting to be a part of even as a spectator
    #itaintweaktospeak

it will be interestingto see what teams are fielded, as its gunna weaken the australian team, with the likes of thurston and inglis more then likely being in the dream team.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt_Beno View Post
    it will be interestingto see what teams are fielded, as its gunna weaken the australian team, with the likes of thurston and inglis more then likely being in the dream team.
    But it won't be Australia they're playing, it'll be an NRL all star team. Plenty of kiwis to fill some roles and any Poms or whatever who happen to be playing over here.

Might even give some fringe players a bit of a run.

i am very excited with the prospect of this time of game taking place and whats even better it will be in our own backyard.

bigger than origin?? i think so or atleast on par with it....

lets hope they can get it off the ground and make it happen
    with searle behind it icant see any problems....
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .