Default Pre-season injury woes for Atkins

Pre-season injury woes for Atkins

GOLD Coast Titans winger Jordan Atkins won't let it get him down.

Dealt another telling blow just weeks out from the season opener, Atkins is confident of overcoming a medial ligament tear and getting back on the field within five weeks.

Plagued by injuries in their opening two seasons, the Titans enjoyed a change of fortunes in 2009 but the new year has been unkind for Atkins and centre Esi Tonga, who tore a pectoral muscle, picked up during the club's pre-season camp at Coffs Harbour.

Crushed that the injury curse had again reared its head, an upbeat Atkins yesterday vowed to do everything to put himself back into the fray.

"It's massively frustrating, this is the fittest I've been, I've put some weight on and I was feeling good," said Atkins, who shot to prominence with four tries on debut in the opening round of the 2008 season.

"The last couple of years have been torturous through injury but I don't sit at home feeling sorry for myself."

While Atkins will be back in a month, fate has not been as kind to centre Esi Tonga, who tore his pec in a gym accident.

The latest potential season-ending injury for Tonga comes just months after he went under the knife to repair his shoulder, dislocated in the loss to the Broncos in last year's finals.

Assistant coach Trevor Gillmeister said it was shattering news for Tonga and Atkins.

"It's a pity that Esi and Jordan have been hurt, they had both been training the house down and had been very impressive," he said.

"But there's always light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully they realise that and come back better than ever."

Several disruptions have also threatened to hinder their performance, including being moved from the Titans Centre of Excellence while the club resolved its off-field dispute with developer Simcorp, but both Gillmeister and Atkins felt it had placed little strain on the playing group.

"Initially I thought it might cause a bit of a stir but it hasn't fazed anyone," said Atkins.

"We're happy training wherever we train, we're ready to go and everyone's working together and we have a great playing and coaching staff so it hasn't been a problem."

"My only concern is getting fit again though, I know I'll have to come back through the Queensland Cup but I'm ready to work hard and try and get another shot."

Gillmeister said after the long slogs on the training paddock and trials, he couldn't wait for the season to start.

"We're fortunate now that our blokes have had a few years together, they know each other, have that understanding, plus in our first few seasons we went through some players but last year we didn't have as many injuries and it was no surprise we went better."

"I'm hoping it's the same this year and that we start strongly and get a few wins but the first month it comes down to defence and hopefully we keep that in order."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Devastating to lose Atkins, from what I saw from him in pre-season form he was impressive. This level of injuiries as well is terrible.

Let's all pray that it does not continue.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Jordan Atkins has one serious leg brace on and looks like he will be missing for a while.
    Told yas all 2 weeks ago....That's about the only thing I got right!