Default Almost a decade on...

Here is a fantastic post by my good friend Yakstorm.

Now apologises if there has been a topic like this on here recently, but from reading the international forum of late, it seems there is an awful lot of negativity on here, so I thought it is time we do a bit of remincing and remembering exactly how far we've come since the 2000 RLWC/1999 Tri-Nations so we can put somethings into perspective.

Tournaments:
    We have gone from the loss making 1999 Tri-Nations and 2000 RLWC, to having profitable 2004, 2005 Tri-Nations, 2008 Rugby League World Cup, and 2009 Quad Nations. The Kangaroos and Kiwi tours inbetween have also been quite profitable.

We've also finally seen the return of the Pacific Cup featuring professional players, and also the European Cup has also been another consistent. We are now seeing new competitions pop up such as the European Bowl and Euro-Med Challenge.

Lets not forget the number of students, womens, U/16's and U/18's tournaments that have popped up. Sure they might not have been as consistent as we would have liked, but these now exist.

Federations:
    From having a RLIF who had little money or power, we now have a European Federation which has done a lot of great work, and recently just had the Pacific Federation formed.

Development Officers:
    This was almost an unknown concept before...now we have them in Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Jamaica and a number of other European nations.

Nations:
    Australia:
    After the 2000 RLWC, Australia had not lost a major international tournament in over 20 years. In the last decade, they lost a World Cup, a Tri-Nations and were pushed all the way into extra time in another Tri-Nations tournament.

Crowds in Australia have started to come back to international Rugby league as well. From the 16K who watched Great Britain vs Australia at Lang Park in 1999, we've had over 50K at that same venue since for an international.

Sponsorship of the Kangaroos has also grown. From a deal worth around 100K with XXXX in 1999, the Kangaroos now actually earn a similar value as the State of Origin sides.

England:
    Whilst England's on field performance might be debatable the reality is, more people are playing league in the region now than in 2000, also more people are watching them, they have more sponsors and are a financially solvent organisation rather than leaking funds badly like they were before.

New Zealand:
    World Champions of the game, the best things for NZ Rugby League are only just occurring. The restructure of the league, the more transparent accountancy, for the first time in a long time, NZ is acctually getting its management in order enough so they can grow.

Fiji:
    Fiji was thought to be on the way out when the original couple who helped co-ordinate the game since 1992 left in the early 2000's. Look how far they've come. Growing competition, Semi-Finals in the RLWC, sponsors such as Air Pacific and Vodafone heavily associated.

Lebanon:
    From a Sydney based side back in 2000, we all know how well they have done in creating a competition, competitive national side, and helping taking the game to places like Qatar.

Wales:
    Back in 2000 if anyone was asked to name the RL teams in the region, the only two that anyone could name would be the North Wales Coasters and Cardiff Demons. Now look at the province. 1x Super League side, 1x Championship side, plus its own domestic league, merit league, junior sides, and schools and universities all playing the game.

Ireland:
    Re-Branded and re-launched after the 2000 RLWC, RLI now have a proper regular senior competition, plus masters and are moving into Universities.

Scotland:
    On track for 10 senior sides this year, the game is now played at schools. Not bad considering Scotland had almost nothing back in 2000, with the SRL only being formed in 1999.

Malta / Italy / Greece:
    I've grouped these three together because they all have similar stories. Whilst yet to have established domestic leagues, they have all gone from being 'Sydney' based sides, to now having played internationals locally, to have locals acctually play the game in carnival/cluster/micro-competitions, and have actually taken steps to try and form competitions for the future.

Serbia:
    Serbia returned to the fold in the past 10 years, and have done an exceptional job establishing a senior league and more.

Jamaica:
    Who would have thought the West Indies would be playing the game? Well for the past five years, they have continued to impress and grow. A strong senior competition, and now with movements into the student level.

USA:
    Despite setbacks the USA has continued to grow, and has moved from a competition which would see teams come and go into a consistent and strong league.

France:
    French participation is back growing, Les Catalans are doing great in Super League, Toulouse in the Championship and the national team has showed signs of promise. All big steps forward from 10 years ago.

Czech Republic / Germany / Estonia / Lativa / Ukraine / Belgium / UAE / Qatar / Spain:All these nations have some form of league now, sure its only light, but the fact is they have either played some form of international locally, or had some sort of competition.... you couldn't say this 10 years ago.

PNG:
    Around 2000 PNG couldn't afford to run the SP Cup anymore, now they are back and growing again, with a national competition, competitive national side, and are talking about entering the NRL.

Now I know there are more good stories out there (and some bad), but we have come a long way in 10 years...just something worth remembering...
    Source: Post by Yakstorm on another forum
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Now apologises if there has been a post like this on here recently

This is great, I love International League! And I thankyou a lot for doin this. I have check up on the leagues over the years and yes they are going stonger each and every year. If anyone is peaking a little more than the rest it would be Scotland, Wales, Fiji, Tonga and most of all PNG!!! with the biggest school boys footy in the world. I'm realy looking forward to the four nations this year with the Kumuls!! I do belive they will win a few games. I must run a long the kettles boiling. UP THE MIGHTY KUMULS!!!!!!!!! and more tea