A Darwin debut for Presto

THERE are not too many things Preston Campbell hasn't done in rugby league.

But the diminutive Gold Coast Titans custodian will get a chance to tick another box when, after 12 years in the NRL, he plays his first game of rugby league in Darwin on Saturday night.

Since his inspirational performance leading the Indigenous All Stars to victory over their NRL counterparts 11 days ago, Campbell was given the chance to rest up after missing last week's trial win over Souths Sydney and pre-season training camp in Coffs Harbour.

But he gets another chance to blow out the cobwebs after yesterday being named to take on the Cowboys at fullback in a near full-strength 21-man squad by coach John Cartwright.

"I've been in the NRL 12 years and I haven't had the chance to play up there but taking the game to places like Darwin is one of the good sides of having trial games," said Campbell yesterday.

"The fans get to come out and see their teams or favourite players running around and obviously rugby league is always trying to grow.

"Darwin has its competition and I'm sure the city will be waiting for a big game on Saturday."

With the exception of injuries to Michael Henderson (toe), Ben Ridge (hamstring), Jordan Atkins (knee) and Cartwright's decision to rest Luke Bailey, the match shapes as another dress rehearsal for the Titans before their opening round clash with the Warriors at Skilled Park on March 14.

Campbell hopes he will be wearing the No.1 in the opening round but admitted with a 2010 squad full of depth, he may not get his way.

"There are a lot of players coming through, the boys have been training well and the competition (for spots in the squad) is good," said Campbell of the selection headaches awaiting the Titans selection panel.

"I favour fullback but things happen and the season can change and you have to change with it."

Greg Bird again lines up in the halves with captain Scott Prince while recruits Marshall Chalk, Clinton Toopi and Riley Brown get another chance to impress after being named on the bench.

Joseph Tomane, who displayed his damaging power in the opening trial wins over Souths and Brisbane, also gets another chance to secure a place in the centres.

Titans squad to play the Cowboys in Darwin on Saturday: Preston Campbell, David Mead, Mat Rogers, Joseph Tomane, Kevin Gordon, Greg Bird, Scott Prince, Matthew White, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison, Selasi Berdie, Will Matthews, William Zillman, Riley Brown, Sam Tagataese, Bodene Thompson, Marshall Chalk, Clinton Toopi.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au