Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Utd: Why No Fans?

Gday, I'm curious to hear from people from the Gold Coast region about the new a-league club Gold Coast United. united arent getting good crowds and i was wondering if i could hear anything from people from the region on why? ie. i'd love to hear anyone's personal reasons for not going.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Palmer
    "The difference between us and them (Titans) is that we will win the premiership and they probably never will,'' he chided.
    I have a very long memory.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

haha, fair call DIEHARD

Im curious about Titans fans, cos some of the talk from GCU fans is that Skilled Park is too hard to get to by public transport(only trains via hinterland or u need to catch 2-3 buses) and there's no parking available. How do TItans fans get to games?

Quote Originally Posted by bensomerford View Post
    haha, fair call DIEHARD

Im curious about Titans fans, cos some of the talk from GCU fans is that Skilled Park is too hard to get to by public transport(only trains via hinterland or u need to catch 2-3 buses) and there's no parking available. How do TItans fans get to games?
    No matter how they have tried over the years. This type of football has never taken off with Aussies. I've coached it and watched it but it just dosen't have the impact as league, rugby and gAyFL.
    Even though they have had strong juniors they seem to leave or change to other sports.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I have a very long memory.
    Yes yes i so remember that..............

I think that comment hurt alot of gold coast fans...

And about the transport come on if 17k plus fans can do it 12 times a year why cant 4k plus fans..

As far as i see it GCU wats to get numbers well heres a thought.

1. Get the team out in the public eye only time we hear abot the team is 2days b4 a home game.. They do nothing in the commutiy to get fans...

2. Stop wingeing about every little thing... If its not the cost it transport nd if its not that its sumthing bad about the Titans (u will never get fans by writing the titans off)..

3. Just remember if the titans didnt come along there would never be a GCU team right now.. So stop pissing on the fans nd the team that help u get a foot in the door.......

P.S. This is too all GCU fans.....
    Last edited by titanstattman; 20-10-09 at 11:03 PM.

I don't think transport is the issue. It doesn't effect rugby league fans and I think most people find the transport pretty good. The main gripe would be the massive congestion at the train station after the game, this disapates very fast, so it is short term pain. But with soccer, this wouldn't happen.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I spoke to someone the other day whos children play and they said it was far too expensive.

My personal opinion is that the Gold Coast does not have a high concentration of ethnic communities like other states, eg, Sydney and Melbourne do. If you go to a game in Sydney or Melbourne the stands are full of European and Middle Eastern fans. These fans come from countries who are raised on Soccer, pretty much like Aussies and Kiwis are raised on the Rugby codes and AFL. The Gold Coast comprise of mainly Australians, Kiwis and Japanese.

Clive Palmer thought he could walk straight up and do what the Titans are doing (succeeding). The Titans put in alot of leg work in the preceeding seasons to build a fan base and keep people interested by holding pre season games and NRL premiership games back in 2005 and 2006. They are out in the community and they are making a difference. People appreciate that and will pay back in loyalty.

Clive Palmer, It will take alot more than a big back account to get a loyal fan base. You can't just walk in with a bottomless cheque book and think because you have the money, You will be successful. Ohh yeah... Then there is that blatant waste of money buying that boat for your daughter. My immediate thought was "What a tosser". That money could have been greatly used in the community and given the club a great set up for a charity fund raising organisation.

At the end of the day $$$$$$ does not nessesarily buy you success.

Soccer only works if there is nothing better to do, obviously making the Gold Coast a shocker of a place to host soccer given the wide range of better stuff to do. Even outside the party capital of Australia though, unless grass stops growing and they invent instant dry paint, soccer will always struggle.

I didn't know anything about the soccer mob trying to make a name for themselves by ragging on the Titans but I'd suggest that isn't the smartest move. Just because soccer is the World game doesn't mean its entitled to any preferential treatment in this Country. How far do you think the Storm would get if they went around taking the piss out of Geelong and the AFL? League owns the Gold Coast and if soccer wants a sniff they need to know their place and accept it. They could do much worse than to ride the coat tails of the Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

That's it Cap, it never pays to kick up dirt on people and sports. I never want rugby league to take that tactic, especially in Melbourne. Unite and conquer, that is my moto.

I think there is a clear contrast between GCU and the Titans. The GCU aspire to be some sort of glamourpuss club, while to me the Titans are humble, but very successful. The local, honest kid, who done good. It's very appealing to think about how far the Gold Coast Titans organisation has come and the massive challenges it overcame.

I don't know much about soccer TBH. And don't mean to piss off their fans, I admire what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I don't know much about soccer TBH.
    And care even less
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark View Post
    And care even less
    LOL.... busted. I was trying to be diplomatic and stuff.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

At the end of the day soccer is its on sport... compared to NRL or GFL

I guess we have to see how they go when the A-Leagues finals rolls around.

well i did buy a season membership for GCU.. but after constantly listening to their fans rip on the titans non-stop... have sold the remainder of my pass..

dont jsut blame the fans but also the club for liek doug said... they do nothing in the community and u do only hear about stuff 2 days out.

they also keep goin ona bout getting a megaphone in there... as most of us know that is against stadium rules and it was conveyed to us early in 2008.. however they think an online petition will change things..

so in closing...

BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR GCU
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by daveyk View Post
    well i did buy a season membership for GCU.. but after constantly listening to their fans rip on the titans non-stop... have sold the remainder of my pass..

so in closing...

BLOW IT OUT YOUR EAR GCU
    Welcome back Davey , i thought it would take surgery but u have come to your senses on your own

Maybe GCU should play out of somewhere like Runaway Bay their ground capacity would be a lot closer to the numbers they are drawing at Skilled
    #itaintweaktospeak