Nathan Friend over the moon

GOLD Coast hooker Nathan Friend insists he has never regretted joining the Titans despite watching his former club Melbourne cement their status as the team of the decade on Sunday.

A member of the Storm's losing grand final side in 2006, Friend left Melbourne to break out of Cameron Smith's shadow and join the Gold Coast for their inaugural campaign.

Melbourne have gone on to make the next three grand finals in a row, winning two premierships.

"You would think I would be filthy but I wouldn't have it any other way," said Friend.

"I came up here for an opportunity and I have certainly loved moving to the Coast. I am very happy with where I am at and I couldn't have asked for any better.

"It is a fantastic location, I have met some great people and we played some good footy this year as a team, so it all really makes for a happy life.

"It would have been nice to see the Titans there (in the grand final), that is for sure.

"But we have to learn from what happened in the semis this year and hopefully rectify that next year."

The move to the Titans has paid great dividends for Friend.

Now a top hooker, Friend experienced a breakout season in 2009, adding new attacking elements to his game to complement his renowned rock solid defensive abilities.

The 28-year-old became the first Titan to break the 2000-tackle barrier in a season this year and holds the record for the most number of games for the Gold Coast.

Friend will head into the club awards presentation tonight at Conrad Jupiters as favourite to win the Paul Broughton Medal.

The medal, named after the club's founder and chairman, is awarded to the player who accrues the most votes on a 3-2-1 basis.

Titans coaching staff award the points after every game throughout the season and before voting went behind closed doors after Round 16, Friend was leading the charge on 18 points from Preston Campbell (16), Scott Prince (10), Ashley Harrison (10) and Luke Bailey (7).

Friend finished runner-up last year behind Campbell, while Bailey and Anthony Laffranchi were joint winners of the award in 2007.

"I am enjoying the holiday and free time with the family at the moment, so I haven't thought too much about it," said Friend.

"It would be a nice bonus.

"But I dare say it could be Presto's turn again this year, he was only a couple points behind me when it went silent. He finished the year off well and would be a deserving winner if he gets it again."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au