Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 2010 Discussion

Junior

Hey Guys..

Think we have plenty of depth in the backline next year.. its the forwards i am concerned about.. those last 3 games parra,brocs and Manly.. thats where we got railroaded.. we need a forward that other teams are scared of... like.. Moi Moi... we should have put a bid in Hannet when he was off contract.. he is really starting to come into his own. I just cant see any of our fowards making that much of an impact when it counts.. our backrow is fine, nothing against Bail's but he was very average in the last few games.. we really need an impact ball runner who has a physcological edge over the opposition.

my 2 cents...
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The Bradford Bulls in Super League.
    Good for him. Really hope he has a blinder. He deserves to go out a winner for all his hard work and effort.

Titans 2009 Report Card
    Rugby League Live

Season finish: 3rd
    Finals finish: Finals Week 2
    Rep honours: Anthony Laffranchi, Luke Bailey (Australia & NSW), Ashley Harrison (Queensland), Mark Minichiello (City Origin)

It was a case of third time lucky for the Titans, who made their inaugural finals series are two disappointing years in which injuries cruelled their chances.

There was no such slump in the back half of the season in 2009, with the Gold Coast outfit proving one of the NRL?s most consistent sides.

A club that traditionally struggled on the road managed away wins against Melbourne and North Queensland inside the first five rounds, and they were only beaten at home twice all year ? against Queensland rivals the Cowboys in round 21 and the Broncos in the finals.

Boasting one of the NRL?s most well-balanced teams ? with a strong forward pack including Origin stars Luke Bailey, Anthony Laffranchi and Ashley Harrison and a talented ?spine? of Preston Campbell, Mat Rogers, Scott Prince and Nathan Friend ? the Titans finally gained the respect they deserved this season and should be a finals contender again in 2010.

What went right
    Crucially, the horror injury tolls that wrecked the Titans? seasons in 2007 and 2008 didn?t strike this time around, allowing John Cartwright to field close to his strongest side for much of the year.

And when a key man was missing, his replacement generally thrived. Preston Campbell ably shifted into the halves to cover for Scott Prince or Mat Rogers (with a win over the Storm in Melbourne without Prince a highlight), while super-sub William Zillman was electric when given the chance to start at fullback.

The Gold Coast?s success was built on defence, and even when the Titans struggled to fire in attack they were often able to grind out a victory.

What went wrong
    Although improving their ability to win on the road, the Gold Coast still lost seven of their final 10 games away from Skilled Park.

A perceived inability to beat strong teams in Sydney was one reason why so few critics predicted the Titans to last long in the finals.

A tough loss against the Broncos at home in the first week of the finals put the Gold Coast in the firing line of the all-conquering Eels, who promptly ended the Titans? season in Parramatta a week later.

Looking to 2010
    Scott Prince said his teammates would be all the better next year for their finals experience, and they should be comfortable playoff contenders next time around.

If Cartwright can keep all his big guns at the club and on the field, there?s no reason why 2009 can?t be the start of something good for the Titans.

Player movements
    Ins: Joseph Tomane (Storm)
    Outs: Daniel Conn (Roosters), Brett Delaney (Leeds), Siosaia Vave (NYC, Sharks)

Now that Souths have announced the signing of the young Pommy Superstar Sam Burgess along with Taylor maybe they'll have to unload someone like Asotasi , now he would look cool in a Titans Jersey
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Now that Souths have announced the signing of the young Pommy Superstar Sam Burgess along with Taylor maybe they'll have to unload someone like Asotasi , now he would look cool in a Titans Jersey
    Yes yes yes he will.......

I'd love that Pete! But I think they have alot of free money under their cap with the departure of Kidwell and Wing, both on ridiculous sums of money.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Asotasi can't not hold onto the ball for his life, extremely overated for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Asotasi can not hold onto the ball for his life, extremely overated for mine.
    Well he was great for the Dogs and his first season at Souths. He has been pants lately, no heart.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Asotasi can't not hold onto the ball for his life, extremely overated for mine.
    He talks bigger than he plays. A few big hits here and there, but so what. I remember when Webke retired, Asotasi was gonna step up and be World #1 prop....Bahahahaha....
    I reackon being stuck in Redfern could do that to you though......
    Be interesting to see how Dave Taylor goes down there.

I think Cannings can step up for us next year, providing he can be injury free. Henderson will be better too. TBH, I like our current forward pack. Bailey, Cannings, White, Henderson, Meyers, O'Dwyer and our starting back three - I think they have much more potential than they showed this year.

Yeh - we finished 3rd and made the finals, but still faded when it counted the most. A pre-lim was there for the taking, but still couldn't do it.
    Next year will be much better, a much more settled squad, not much player movement and a massive increase in experience and formed combinations. I think we have a very well balanced side, plenty of youth, brains and muscle.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    He talks bigger than he plays. A few big hits here and there, but so what. I remember when Webke retired, Asotasi was gonna step up and be World #1 prop....Bahahahaha....
    I reackon being stuck in Redfern could do that to you though......
    Be interesting to see how Dave Taylor goes down there.

I think Cannings can step up for us next year, providing he can be injury free. Henderson will be better too. TBH, I like our current forward pack. Bailey, Cannings, White, Henderson, Meyers, O'Dwyer and our starting back three - I think they have much more potential than they showed this year.

Yeh - we finished 3rd and made the finals, but still faded when it counted the most. A pre-lim was there for the taking, but still couldn't do it.
    Next year will be much better, a much more settled squad, not much player movement and a massive increase in experience and formed combinations. I think we have a very well balanced side, plenty of youth, brains and muscle.
    I don't think injury free and Cannings are synonymous. He was with parra for about 3 years and spent more time on the sidelines injured than on.

Same thing with the Titans. Table tennis might be his game. Until he gets hit by the ball and something else breaks.

I'm fine with our current forward pack so long as they perform.
    Bull carried the other forwards in our first year, Laffranchi in the second. The downside was, when they came off we went to sleep and got smashed.

They're playing more consistently as a team now, but these players need to step back up a level. Laffranchi is still one of the hardest working forwards, but he had less impact. Bailey again didn't have the same impact he had in the first year. Meyers had flashes, but not consistent enough.

Prince I also don't think played to the best of his abilities. Waiting all year for him to show top form and I felt he just never got there. Whether this was an issue with not enough go forward from the forwards I don't know.

We still had our best year and played more as a cohesive team than ever before which helped us into third spot. What we lacked was impact.

Take a look at the Eels. Everyone is talking about Hayne and Moi Moi, but they're playing brilliantly on the back of a solid, hard working and well performing team. We're almost there, we just need a couple players to step up with the impact. We've got the roster we need, just need it all to click now.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gordon and Mead further grow. One thing I have noticed this year is whenever we play a club, in the week leading up to the game, their fans really do worry about how deadly our wingers are.

Junior Titan

HI ALL

the last article from french sport newspaper l'Equipe (saturday 17th 2009)

about your future player Karmichael Hunt hes coming in Biarritz tomorrow for just 3 monthes or 4 I will see him as soon as possible with a friend of mine i will send you other french information about this player

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyman13 View Post
    HI ALL

the last article from french sport newspaper l'Equipe (saturday 17th 2009)

about your future player Karmichael Hunt hes coming in Biarritz tomorrow for just 3 monthes or 4 I will see him as soon as possible with a friend of mine i will send you other french information about this player

Hi rugbyman13

He isn't actually our player. I can understand the confusion. We are the Gold Coast Titans who play rugby league in the NRL.

Karmichael Hunt has left the sport of rugby league entirely... he will link with the new Gold Coast AFL team which starts in 2011. This new team will play AFL or Aussie Rules Football. The AFL is the NRL's chief competitor and the new Gold Coast AFL team is a direct competitor to the Titans.

It is further confused by the fact that the AFL has chosen to simply call this new team the Gold Coast Football Club. Which I think is ridiculous and needlessly confusing.

To add further confusion, this season saw the introduction of a Gold Coast soccer team in the national soccer competition known as the A-League. This team's name is Gold Coast United.

So on the Gold Coast the major national sporting franchises are...

Gold Coast Titans - (Us) Rugby league, competes in the NRL

Gold Coast United - Soccer, competes in the A-League

Gold Coast Football Club - AFL, competes in the AFL (Launches in 2011)

Gold Coast Blaze - Basketball, competes in the NBL.
    I hope this helps you better understand the Australian and Gold Coast sporting landscapes. I know it is confusing, especially with the choice of the name or lack of one, with the Gold Coast AFL team...

So in between Hunt leaving the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL and joining the Gold Coast Football Club in the AFL, Hunt will play rugby union in France.

Thanks so much for your news from France. Will you be attending the 4Nations? I am incredibly excited about the tournament.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 18-10-09 at 01:41 AM.

Junior Titan

Sorry for the confusion Diehard. Yes I'm also waiting for the Four Nations. I think Aussies will win the Trophy.