Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Err no thanks!!

I couldnt stand this cat at our club

Target Chris Lawrence and someone like Nick Kenny.

Why didnt we make a move for hannett? he is a Gold Coast boy
    Agreed! He's the last player I'd want to see at the club. Would make a total mockery of signing the person before the player that the Titans were going on about in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Agreed! He's the last player I'd want to see at the club. Would make a total mockery of signing the person before the player that the Titans were going on about in the beginning.
    This would have to be a rumour started by Bird's manager surely.

It goes against everything Searle has said from day one.

I reckon the club has it all wrong by targeting outside backs, and now if the Greg Bird rumour is true, a backrower/half.

We wouldn't have gone any further this year with the best backline in the world simply becuase we don't measure up in the forwards.

Searle has said he wouldn't swap our forward pack for anyone's - but I would.

The back row with Mini, Boof and Harro is fine - especially with the likes of Red, Taga and O'Dwyer coming off the bench.

Friend is awesome and I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

But the front row is a different story. Bull, White, Hendo and ESPECIALLY Mathews just cannot cut it in the big games. Fui Fui killed them on Friday night. Two weeks earlier George Rose constantly ran over them like they were not there. Unless we can unearth a big mongrel of a front rower who can bend the line back we are destined for more of the same of what we got this year. Bull is tireless but he never bends them back anymore. Hendo had big wraps but he has never delivered on the promise that was supposed to make him an origin player. White is honest, no knocks on him but he cannot be expected to be the cornerstone of our pack.

I don't watch much of the U20's but if the wraps on that Vave kid are so big why did we let them go. We cannot win the comp with our current front row rotation so they are either neglecting this area or they have something up their sleeve. I hope it is the latter but I am not holding my breath in expectation...

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Maybe its time for the big tatt-man to step up at the plate

i think Ben Ridge with a full off season with the first grade side could be the surprise packet he has tonnes of ability and can offload at will, he is my tip to be the surprise packet 2010 i still think the titans are skinny in the outside backs and will need someone from the 20's to step up or maybe Shannon Walker to realise his potential and be counted for and play first grade next year

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post

I don't watch much of the U20's but if the wraps on that Vave kid are so big why did we let them go.
    He was offered a lot more money than an untested junior warrants by a desperate club.

Please no...no no no no no...Not Greg Bird.

I'm not too worried about our backs.
    For me the ideal next year is something like
    1 Zillman
    2 Mead
    3 Tonga
    4 Rogers/Tomane
    5 Gordon
    6 Campbell
    7 Prince

It gives us a bit of give and take, with a few players able to shuffle around.
    Do we still have Atkins next year? He's been solid if not up to his debut.
    I dunno how Walker has gone this year, but he's definitely got some potential.
    If White is still on the books, he's a solid back, good defender, and can play in any position. Tagatese can slot into the centres, and is Rapana back from his mission? He may flop like his older brother, but he might still have it.

Some of the under 20s lads might be of age now too. While we didn't see huge things from them this year, remember they were wiped out with injury, but I remember Hitchcox absolutely killing it in the under 20s.

I'd agree our forwards are an issue. Most teams have that one big forward who just smashes the opposition. Civinoceiva, Taylor, Moi Moi, etc. We've got a pack of workhorses, but no impact. Yeah, Vave could have been that impact, but as kwigi said, untested in the top grade. Matthews was a huge impact player in the under 20s too, it's really another level. Matthews will improve I've got no doubt, but it might be a few years in coming. There's no guarantee Vave would have an impact in first grade either.
    Ridge is good, but again I don't see him as a big impact player.

I'm not too worried about our backs.
    For me the ideal next year is something like
    1 Zillman
    2 Mead
    3 Tonga
    4 Rogers/Tomane
    5 Gordon
    6 Campbell
    7 Prince

It gives us a bit of give and take, with a few players able to shuffle around.
    Do we still have Atkins next year? He's been solid if not up to his debut.
    I dunno how Walker has gone this year, but he's definitely got some potential.
    If White is still on the books, he's a solid back, good defender, and can play in any position. Tagatese can slot into the centres, and is Rapana back from his mission? He may flop like his older brother, but he might still have it.

Some of the under 20s lads might be of age now too. While we didn't see huge things from them this year, remember they were wiped out with injury, but I remember Hitchcox absolutely killing it in the under 20s.

I'd agree our forwards are an issue. Most teams have that one big forward who just smashes the opposition. Civinoceiva, Taylor, Moi Moi, etc. We've got a pack of workhorses, but no impact. Yeah, Vave could have been that impact, but as kwigi said, untested in the top grade. Matthews was a huge impact player in the under 20s too, it's really another level. Matthews will improve I've got no doubt, but it might be a few years in coming. There's no guarantee Vave would have an impact in first grade either.
    Ridge is good, but again I don't see him as a big impact player.
    Hitchcox is gone to Melbourne, right?

Front rowers aren't ready at 20 really, are they? Moi Moi was off contract wasn't he? We should have made a run at him.

Yeah, White was still here this year, was solid for Tweed. If him, Kingi and in form Rapana and Walker are on the books in the next couple of years, there's depth in talent there.

What we need is size and aggression in a #8,10,11 or 12. We've almost a premiership winning pack but it needs some extra mongrel and or flair.

Do we still have Atkins next year?

There's no guarantee Vave would have an impact in first grade either.
    Atkins is signed until the end of 2010. I have heard he is in talks with the Storm.

And Vave is off to the Sharks next year, isn't he?

Titans need only one damaging Front rower and the team is alot stronger.

The backs as they stand are great. There really are no young outside backs that could come up except for Shannon Walker but he had a very average year. If ball security became his highest priority then he would be a weapon at fullback.

Ben Ridge is a gun youngster and it would be in Titans best interest to keep him.

Tomane in the centre or wing next year is going to be great and Titans will be able to boast having the 4 of the best youngsters in the NRL.
    Last edited by teke; 23-09-09 at 03:40 AM.

I would like to see Will Mathews come back next year with a added 8 or 9 kilo's , i think in time he will cut the mustard
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I would like to see Will Mathews come back next year with a added 8 or 9 kilo's , i think in time he will cut the mustard
    Matthews is only 20, the bloke is going to be around a long long time. He will mature into a great footballer im sure of it.

That is the thing with props, very rarely do they do well early in there life, they have to dominate some of the toughest men on the planet, so they need to have gained that respect over a long period.

Mathews needs to play to gain that experience and respect, but i do not expect him to be a top prop for a lot of years.

We should have thrown some money at Hannett, he is a Gold Coast boy, and is about to mature into one of the games top props. He is on the coast ATM with his wife having there 3rd baby. He would have only needed a nudge to come here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

1. Zillman
    2. Gordon
    3. Bird
    4. Rogers
    5. Mead
    6. Campbell
    7. Prince
    8. Bailey
    9. Friend
    10. Henderson
    11. Laffranchi
    12. Minichielo
    13. Harrison

14. Tonga\Tomane\backline utility ect...
    15. Cannings\White
    16. Meyers
    17. O'dwyer
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....