Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Run Home

Default The Run Home

We are passed the halfway mark for Season 2009 and just like the past 2 years we are exceptionally well placed to make a charge toward the top of the ladder.

However, unlike last year we have the troops available to make this years start into something we WANT to remember. Because, let's face it, the end of last year (and the year before that...) really hurt. It was a fadeout of biblical proportions.

The end of season fadeouts are not a myth. They are not a 'bogey' (how overused is that term getting this year?!?). But with any luck, and any amount of good management they have been learned from.

And so with 11 games remaining our finals destiny is right where we want it - in our own hands. We don't have to worry about other results - all we have to worry about is winning our fair share of games.

Here is what we have left:

Rd 16: Warriors (H)
    Rd 17: Raiders (A)
    Rd 18: Eels (H)
    Rd 19: Dogs (A - Suncorp)
    Rd 20: Broncos (H)
    Rd 21: Cowboys (H) **How good will these 3 weeks be all in our backyard**
    Rd 22: Warriors (A)
    Rd 23: Rabbits (A)
    Rd 24: Sharks (H)
    Rd 25: Tigers (H)
    Rd 26: Manly (A)

I don't want to fall into the trap of predicting which games we will win and lose becuase they are all winnable if we turn up with the right attitude and a fit squad. But I want to make a few points:

• We need 4 wins to make the historical finals cut off of 30 points.
    • We have home games remaining against 4 teams in the bottom 8 - (In order) Warriors, Parramatta, Sharks, Tigers. While being respectful to our opposition have to expect to win those games.
    • We have 3 games at Titans graveyards - (In order) Bruce Stadium, Mt Smart, ANZ. I would love to see us win one of these.
    • We have 3 other home games against top 8 teams - (In order) Dogs, Brisbane, Cowboys. I see no reason why we can't win all of these and reckon that they are the key to our season.

We have a lot to be excited about. I reckon we are poised to make a real charge at it. I will be interested to hear what others think but I am looking at a top 4 finish now. Anything less than top 6 will be a failure. Anything less than top 8 will be a DISASTER!!

i strongly believe the Titans can make the top 4 and push for the Premiership.
    They have a nice run over the next few weeks and can consolidate their spot with a nice winning streak. The bye this week will keep them in the top 4 and if teams just below and above us who dont have a bye lose, the titans will be in a great position in the top 4!

Here are the Top 4 / Top 8 points cutoffs from the past few years:

2008:
    1st Storm 38
    4th Roosters 34
    8th Warriors 30

2007:
    1st Storm 44 (Holy crap are you serious!!)
    4th Warriors 29
    8th Brisbane 24

2006:
    1st Storm 44
    4th Newcastle 32
    8th Parramatta 28

2005:
    1st Parramatta 36
    4th Wests Tigers 32
    8th Manly 28

So it is:
    • Four more wins to play finals.
    • Six or seven more wins to play a home final in week 1
    • Eight (probably 9 with our poor F/A) more wins to take minor premiership

I did not realise how good the Storm were in 2006 and 2007 until I wrote that. It will be a long time until anyone gets up around 44 points ever again. To do it two years in a row is staggering.

thatss pretty damn good, 20 wins and 4 losses in one season!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    It will be a long time until anyone gets up around 44 points ever again. To do it two years in a row is staggering.
    What are you talking about? The titans will be on 44 points when they win the next 11 games.

Quote Originally Posted by kwigibo View Post
    What are you talking about? The titans will be on 44 points when they win the next 11 games.

I like your thinking

No thanks. I couldn't think of anything more nerve racking than going into the finals on the back of a 14 game winning streak.

A minor premiership on 38 points will do me just fine.

I am doing so poorly in my tipping comp that I have decided I am going to put all my tips in based on the best possible results for the Titans.

The best possible results we can hope for this weekend are:

Dogs v PENRITH

NthQ v ROOSTERS

Storm v WESTS

Manly v CANBERRA

SHARKS v Brisbane

These results will leave us sitting pretty on a table looking like this (courtesy of the ladder predictor on NRL.com:

Drags 22
    Titans 22
    Dogs 20
    Storm 19
    Penriff 18
    Knights 18
    Broncos 18
    Cowboys 16
    Raid 14
    Wests 14
    Eels 13
    Sharks 12
    Roost 10

Those results would have us sitting pretty. Admittedly the Dogs should be able to lap the Panthers minus all their origin contingent but apart from that all those results are just as likely as not.

We will have plenty to cheer for this weekend even without our boys running around.
    Last edited by karnage; 18-06-09 at 08:00 PM.

yeah the byes are always handy when the top 4 or 5 teams are close. if one of them slip up, it gives us a chance to move up and get closer to sealing a top 4 spot and break away from other teams not far behind. Followed up by a home game agianst a up and down team, things are looking good!

It's turning into time to cheer on the giant killers. All the other games are of key interest, we know from experience how tight things are at the end of the year. So let's take the deep interest in it now.

I think the Cowboys will fall apart over the coming weeks. I'm definitely getting on the Chooks over the Cowboys this weekend.

Canberra have a great chance to put Manly to the sword. And Origin duty will really hurt the Cowboys, Broncos, Manly and Storm. Even as you tip, Wests have a great chance to knock off Storm.

I'm loving the BYE. Rogers looks set to be ready for us against the Warriors. And Bull is a chance to be on deck.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

if those results can go in our favour as well as a Dragons loss next week then we'll be laughing. I agree, i think the Roosters are due for a win and can beat the Cowboys. Its disappointing we dont get a lot of Origin call ups but it means we have a full, rested squad for next week! (not that the Warriors are affected). Wests and Melbourne drew last time i believe so they are capable of beating them. Is Robbie Farah fit to play?

Seems Idris might be out for up to 8 weeks. That would mean a weaker Dogs when we play them. Scans to come.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

i heard that on the radio last night......at first i was devoed (great young player) but then was like, hey, weaker doggies..... i can handle that.........

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

It was only a grinding win by the Doggies too against an understrength Pamthers outfit, admittedly in some pretty atrocious conditions.

They did not look anything out of the box when we played them at Skilled.

I am VERY confident that they are one team we can get the better of both at Suncorp in July and should we meet in September. I think we match up very well against them Idris or no Idris.