Default England wants Australia to put the Ashes on the line!

England league captain wants Ashes equivalent

ENGLAND captain Jamie Pea**** has called for rugby leagues Ashes to be put on the line when his men take on Australia during this years Four Nations tournament.

Excited by the hype surrounding the current cricket series, the Leeds star said over the weekend it would be a big bonus for league if its version was on the line at Wigan on October 31, a one off game to decide a title Australia has held for 36 years.

"The cricket Ashes this summer has been massive and really captured the imagination of everyone around the country,'' Pea**** said.

"It's been a real talking point and the excitement at Headingley a few weeks ago when England met Australia was like something I've never experienced before, despite the result. I really miss playing Australia in a Test series like we used to and I'd be all in favour of bringing it back.

"Looking at the international calendar for the next few years though, there doesn't seem much room for a three match Test series. For now I think the starting point should be a one off Ashes game each year between England and Australia starting this October with the Four Nations.

"It would be brilliant to be the first captain from these shores to pick up that trophy since 1970.''

The call was supported by former Great Britain hooker Mike Stephenson, who said: "To take both sets of Ashes off the Aussies all in the space of three months would be sensational and leave those Down Under on a real downer. I know the cricket Ashes aren't won yet, but fingers crossed we're nearly there!''

The Rugby League International Federation has no three-Test series between leading countries planned before the next World Cup in 2013, with Four Nations tournaments seen as being more lucrative.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225765392911
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I would love to see the rugby league Ashes return.

Union has the Bledisloe as part of the Tri Nations.

It's harder for us to integrate it into the new 4Nations, as nations only play each other once in the pool stages.

But there is still a great place for Lions Tours down under. Let's put it up for that. Reunite Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England to take on a tour of Australia and New Zealand.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

would be great, australia would actually win
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

I think it would add to the spectacle if the Ashes were on the line too but poor old Mike Stephenson must be smoking some Wacky Tobacky to be thinking such Dribble , seriously they should run 3rd but maybe the Frogs may give them a Shake
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I think it would add to the spectacle if the Ashes were on the line too but poor old Mike Stephenson must be smoking some Wacky Tobacky to be thinking such Dribble , seriously they should run 3rd but maybe the Frogs may give them a Shake
    Yeah its a good idea, any comp between England and Australia will have alot of interest. Stevo is very optimistic thinking England would win, i think we'd be lucky to still be in the game at half time.
    As for the French well they have gone backwards fast, they will be bottom of the 4 nations after some heavy beatings

Put Ashes on the line

ENGLISH rugby league boss Richard Lewis has called on Australia to put rugby league's Ashes up for grabs when they face England next month.
    Although the Ashes are traditionally associated with cricket clashes between England and Australia, it is also the name given to meetings between the Australians and Great Britain in rugby league.

Australia have held the rugby league Ashes since 1970 but they haven't been contested since 2003.

Now Lewis is backing England players Jamie Pea**** and Jon Wilkin and ex-Kangaroos Brad Fittler, Gorden Tallis and Max Krilich, who have proposed that England and Australia play for the Ashes when they meet in the Four Nations at Wigan on October 31.

Australian Rugby League officials will discuss the suggestion this week and Lewis said: "There is so much history and tradition surrounding the Ashes Trophy that it makes no sense whatsoever to have it gathering dust in a cabinet year after year.

"The Ashes have brought out the best in generations of players since they were first played for in 1908 and it would be fantastic if the current England and Australia players were given the same opportunity.

"I am aware that some people have reservations about playing for the Ashes Trophy in a one-off fixture, especially within the Four Nations, but the sport has more to gain than it stands to lose from bringing the Ashes back.

"When England play Scotland in rugby union they do so for the Calcutta Cup and there is no suggestion that it detracts from the significance of the Six Nations Championship.

"There are few names in any sport that are more evocative than the Ashes and I can understand why some people in Australia may be reluctant to let them go, especially given what's happened recently in cricket.

"However I would urge the ARL to have the courage of their convictions and put the Ashes back on the international calendar."

Source: http://www.thecouriermail.com.au

Titans First Grader

One-off Ashes Test idea scrapped

England and Australia have called off an agreement to play the Ashes in a one-off Test match next month.

Australia agreed to put the trophy on the line when the two teams meet in the Four Nations in Wigan on 31 October.

But after listening to a number of objections from opponents, both countries agreed to shelve the plans.

Australia Rugby League chief Geoff Carr said: "The strong feeling expressed about the Ashes are a reminder of how much these contests mean to people."

Richard Lewis, chairman of the Rugby Football League, added: "It was an idea born out of a great sporting rivalry and it is to the credit of the Australians that they were prepared to consider the move.

"Understandably there are some passionate views about the Ashes in the light of its rich history.

"We believe any change to the format under which they are to be decided would need more consideration than can be given between now and the Four Nations."

The plan, which would have been in place for the next three years, had been criticised by several high-profile rugby league figures.

"I think it devalues the challenge," said former Great Britain and current Wigan coach Brian Noble.

"We've shown over the last 25 years that we can beat Australia in a one-off game - I've coached a team that has beaten them at Sydney Football Stadium, their own ground, and there is no finer feeling.

"But I think the challenge of the Ashes is to beat them in a three-match rubber. I genuinely feel that."

England coach Tony Smith added: "I'd prefer it as a stand-alone contest rather than as part of another tournament."

The history of the Ashes series stretches back 101 years but Great Britain have not won the trophy since 1970.

The Kangaroos inflicted a 3-0 whitewash in the most recent event in 2003, handing them their 13th successive series victory.

But the demise of tours between the two hemispheres means there is unlikely to be a suitable period for Great Britain to take on Australia in a three-match series in the foreseeable future.

England meet Australia on 31 October in the second round of matches in the expanded tri-nations tournament, which now features France for the first time.

bbc.co.uk