Default "Can We Help Show" on ABC: A Very Special Titans Story!

CLICK HERE TO WATCH ONLINE, IN EITHER WMV OR MP4 FORMAT! IT IS EPISODE 28, TOWARDS THE END OF THE EPISODE.

Keryn Rauth wrote in asking for our help in setting up a surprise for her brother Ricky who has Downs Syndrome and abdominal cancer. Ricky is a big fan of the Gold Coast Titans (NRL) Rugby League Club and we are going to surprise Ricky at the game with the chance to meet his team and also lead them out onto the field on match day.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/canwehelp

transcript...

Quote Originally Posted by ABC's Can We Help?
    [Keryn Rauth] Ricky is an amazing person with a really good heart, he?s kind to everyone that he meets. He is always there for us. He has never said a bad thing about any of us, which must be tough growing up with 4 sisters, but he?s wonderful.

Keryn Rauth has always been very close to her younger brother Ricky. He was even best man at her wedding.

[Keryn] He got up in front of everyone and delivered the most amazing speech and it made the day having him do that.

Ricky?s down syndrome is not something his parents, sisters or even Ricky himself have ever focused on. But this year the family has felt the need to rally around him ? after he was diagnosed with cancer.

[Keryn] The results came back before Christmas not very good. They found he had a very rare form of cancer that only 60 or 70 people in world had. They began chemo about 10 days after meeting the surgeon.

For Keryn it?s difficult being so far from Ricky, who lives on the Sunshine Coast.

[Keryn] Living in Sydney is hard, we speak on the phone every night, but it?s not quite the same. I try to get back around every 6 weeks or so to visit, so we are trying, I guess, to not take for granted, hopefully everything will work out well, which is what we?re hoping for, and that?s what we think will happen but you never know and we are trying to make the most of the time that we have.

Which is why she asked us for help ? the aim was to give Ricky the chance to meet his beloved Gold Coast Titans Rugby League team.

[Keryn] He?s such a fan, he was in hospital last week and he was so upset, not about being in hospital, but because he was going to miss the match with the Titans and the doctor let him go home for just 2 hours to watch the match and then come back.

For a fan like Ricky, the Gold Coast Titans could not do enough to help. Not only will Ricky go to a Titan?s training and meet his favourite player ? Luke Bailey, but Luke will in turn deliver an incredible surprise that Ricky will not believe.

With everything in place, Keryn has flown to the Gold Coast to take Ricky to a training session - he has no idea we?re here to film him and that?s he about to meet co-captain Luke Bailey.

[Keryn] I think it will make him forget about what?s been happening with his health because he?s been so focused on that for the past 5 months, it will give him some inspiration and an avenue away from thinking about all the bad things.

With Luke all ready, it?s time for Keryn to let Ricky in on the first surprise.

[Keryn] Rick, I have to tell you something. Well this is actually a special day just for you and after the training you are going to meet Luke Bailey.

[Luke Bailey] Hey Ricky, come down for a chat mate?

[Keryn] When Luke actually asked him to come down for a chat, he got nervous and it took him a while to stand up. He didn?t want to walk down by himself so I got to come along. I guess the nerves kicked in and excitement and the rest of it.

[Luke] How are you mate? Nice to meet you?bit of a Titans fan I hear?

[Ricky Bryce] I have been, yes.

[Luke] Since the start, since ?07?

[Ricky] I have, yes.

[Luke] We?ve got a little pack to show appreciation for being a big fan of ours.

[Ricky] Thank you. Oh lovely.

But that?s not all we?ve got for Ricky. After a good chat, Luke drops the biggest bombshell.

[Luke] As you know we?ve got the big game tomorrow night. I was wondering if you could do us a favour and run us out before the game. Would that be OK? Give us some inspiration to beat the Raiders.

[Ricky] I hope so.

[Ricky] I was a bit nervous and he?s a great player. We talked about that we are going to beat the Raiders tomorrow night.

[Luke] I think he?ll be a bit nervous, once I told him he had a few swallows. I think he?s gonna be very excited. It?s gonna be a big crowd, it?s gonna be inspirational for us. He?s battling at the moment and he?s going through it tough so it puts things into perspective I suppose.

[Keryn] To see Ricky running out on the field in front of his favourite player, in front of his favourite team, in front of us and thousands of others. It?s going to be amazing, really emotional, there are going to be tears I?m sure.

MATCH DAY

[Keryn] Ricky was feeling really nervous but excited about coming here today. When he was told yesterday he hasn?t thought about anything else I think.

[Ricky] I feel great, I feel excited. Yeah, I?m pretty nervous.

[Keryn] I?m both nervous and excited for him, not sure if he can run that far or how fast he has to run, so we?ll see. I think he?ll do really well. He?s been given a task and he?ll do it to the best of his ability I?m sure.

Ricky runs out on the field in front of his favourite team, his family and thousands of Titans fans.

[Keryn] I feel really proud of Ricky and so happy that he did it. He ran so far and seeing the smile on his face was wonderful. I was so happy that I became emotional and I cried a little bit, but it was so fantastic seeing him out there.

[Ricky] It was great, it was excellent. It was the best day ever.
    CLICK HERE TO WATCH ONLINE, IN EITHER WMV OR MP4 FORMAT! IT IS EPISODE 28, TOWARDS THE END OF THE EPISODE.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I tuned into the ABC early to watch the Queensland Cup, Sunshine Coast vs Wynnum and was surprised to see someone in a Titans jersey. I got to watch the majority of this story.

It really was powerful stuff. I love how sport and more specifically rugby league and the Titans can do so much good for people. Making their lives richer but also when you are at a game you are equal to all other fans. That is a great thing for someone who has alot of challenges in life.

Good on ya Ricky! I remember this game and I remember Ricky leading the team onto the field! I remember he ran over to behind the northern posts, in front of The Legion and we were going nuts cheering him on.

We also won that game in a thriller!

I hope Ricky is doing well and his health has improved.

Well done to the Titans club for looking after fans like Ricky. It's a gift to Ricky, but also to all fans to look after one of our own.

For any Titans fans who would like to leave comments about the show, the show has its own forum here -> http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/T...aspx?b=57&dm=1

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I tuned into the ABC early to watch the Queensland Cup, Sunshine Coast vs Wynnum and was surprised to see someone in a Titans jersey. I got to watch the majority of this story.

It really was powerful stuff. I love how sport and more specifically rugby league and the Titans can do so much good for people. Making their lives richer but also when you are at a game you are equal to all other fans. That is a great thing for someone who has alot of challenges in life.

Good on ya Ricky! I remember this game and I remember Ricky leading the team onto the field! I remember he ran over to behind the northern posts, in front of The Legion and we were going nuts cheering him on.

We also won that game in a thriller!

I hope Ricky is doing well and his health has improved.

Well done to the Titans club for looking after fans like Ricky. It's a gift to Ricky, but also to all fans to look after one of our own.

For any Titans fans who would like to leave comments about the show, the show has its own forum here -> http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/T...aspx?b=57&dm=1
    I agree Diehard! It was a terrific story...and well done to the Bull and the Titans!

*bump*

Well worth watching!