Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Carlaw returns to Broncos

Laine Clark AAP Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:00:39
    In a move that may kick-start disgraced centre Joel Monaghan's long road to redemption, Brisbane have confirmed dual premiership winner Dane Carlaw will return to the NRL club on a one-year deal.

The 30-year-old forward will fly straight back to Queensland after receiving a release from UK Super League outfit Catalans Dragons "for family reasons" following three seasons at the French-based club.

Despite re-signing for another 12 months with the Dragons in August, Carlaw opted out and is expected to begin training with the Broncos before Christmas.

Carlaw's departure creates an import quota spot for the Dragons, who are interested in luring former Test flyer Monaghan to their club.

While seven UK clubs have expressed interest, the Dragons are firming as favourites after Monaghan opted to visit the Perpignan club, who are coached by Australian Trent Robinson.

Castleford had been considered the front-runner for Monaghan's services after he left Canberra following his Mad Monday lewd photograph controversy.

Castleford are coached by former Raiders assistant Terry Matterson - who worked alongside Monaghan in the nation's capital for three years - and are seeking a replacement for recently-retired centre James Evans.

"I think everyone deserves a chance at redemption and we have talked about that," Dragons coach Robinson told Sky Sports UK.

"If it does end up that we offer him a contract, then he has a decision to make about lifestyle."

A grand final winner with Brisbane in 2000 and 2006, Carlaw played 181 NRL games for the Broncos plus two World Club Challenge matches before leaving in 2007.

He has also played six Tests for Australia and 13 Origin games for Queensland.

Carlaw will return from France with his wife Lise and young son Remy and will be allied to Broncos' affiliate club, Queensland Cup outfit Wynnum Seagulls.

"I am very disappointed to leave the club and to not honour the contract I committed myself to, but it's the best decision for my family and myself," Carlaw said when confirming his departure from the Dragons.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Youngest Burgess brother joins Rabbitohs
    By Nathan Ryan
    29 November 2010 01:11PM EST

EXCLUSIVE: YOUNGEST Burgess brother George will join big brother Sam at South Sydney next year in the NYC Toyota Cup competition.

George Burgess is set to join his brother Sam in the NRL

Although he is contracted to Bradford, it is understood George will join the Bunnies for one season on loan, as he still has another two seasons to run on his deal with the English club.

An insider at the famous red and green club told Sportsnewsfirst.com.au: “George will be at Souths in 2011.

“I think Richo (CEO Shane Richardson) wants to wait to announce it but I’m not going to lie to you.

“He’ll be here next year.”

The 18-year-old twin will leave his brother Tom who also plays with the Bulls to work under newly appointed Toyota cup coach Scott Murray, who joins the club from the Roosters.

The deal was completed late last week with George expected to join Sam for pre-season training in January next year when the International also returns from holidays.

Sportsnewsfirst.com.au attempted to contact both Murray and Souths CEO Shane Richardson, however the pair did not respond.

Burgess is yet to make his Super League first grade debut for the Bulls potentially gaining his debut in the NRL next season.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Wests Tigers set to sign Mark Riddell on a second-tier contract for 2011 after the hooker cut ties with Wigan

By Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph December 08, 2010 7:24AMMark "Piggy" Riddell - one of the great characters in modern-day rugby league - is poised to return to the NRL next season with Wests Tigers.

The one-year deal will be announced this week, with the Tigers planning to use Riddell as a shadow player for classy No. 9 Robbie Farah.

Riddell signed a three-year deal with English giants Wigan in 2009 but has cut short his English deal to return home to be near his mother, who is fighting cancer. It is likely Riddell will be able to celebrate his new deal with Wests Tigers tomorrow, his 29th birthday.

The Tigers see Riddell as a solid and experienced back-up for Farah. But he can also play back-row and kick goals.

"It's likely to happen. We are maybe a day or two away from finalising it," Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said yesterday.

"We have had discussions with Mark and they went very well. It is certainly something we are thinking about.

"We are considering him as a back-up to Robbie Farah."

Asked how Riddell would be squeezed into the Tigers' salary cap, Humphreys said: "If he were to come here, it would be on a second-tier contract. He wouldn't be in our top 25. That is the context with which we are considering him."

Riddell ended his two-year stint at Wigan with a win over St Helens in this year's Super League grand final.

He has previously played with St George Illawarra and Parramatta after starting out with the Sydney Roosters.

After the Super League triumph, Riddell said: "This is No. 1 for me. I have been chasing one of these titles for 11 or 12 years in professional rugby league.

"To finally get one at the end is something special."

Wigan coach Michael Maguire was upset to lose Riddell.

"We knew about Mark's situation in June and we will be sad to lose him but fully understand the reasons behind his decision," Maguire said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Guess we might see Piggys "salute" when kicking for goal again.

I still remember when he scored that try. Jumped the fence. Sat down and applauded himself. That was a great post try celebration.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Riddell signs with Roosters

NRL.com Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:45:00
    Hooker Mark Riddell has signed with the Sydney Roosters on a one-year deal, according to BigPondSport.com.

Riddell, a goal kicker known most notably for raising his arm before moving in for a shot, was approached by the Wests Tigers but declined their offer.

The 29-year-old has spent the last two seasons with English Super League club Wigan. He previously played with St George Illawarra and Parramatta.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Whatuira signs 12 month deal with Eels

Parramatta Eels Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:33:00

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels have announced the signing of a third former player returning to the NRL from the English Super League with Kiwi international centre Paul Whatuira agreeing to a one-year deal, giving the club a worthy replacement for Timana Tahu.

The 29-year-old grand final winner with Penrith and Wests Tigers joins Chris Hicks who last week signed a deal with his third NRL club, and Casey McGuire. All have signed one-year deals to give the Eels valuable experience after the departure of backs Tahu, Eric Grothe (retired), Feleti Meteo, Krisnan Inu and Jonathan Wright.

Whatuira, who has played 16 Tests for New Zealand and began his career with the Auckland Warriors and played a season with the Melbourne Storm where current Eels coach Stephen Kearney was a team-mate, has had three seasons with the Huddersfield Giants in the English Super League where he scored 22 tries in 55 games and played in the 2009 Challenge Cup final at Wembley.

Hicks is 33 but his form has been outstanding with Warrington. He was the club’s top tryscorer in each of his three seasons with the Wolves, tallying 76 tries (plus 88 goals) in 81 games. He won two Challenge Cups with the side that also wears blue and gold after playing 191 NRL games, his last the 2007 grand final with Manly.

“Paul Whatuira is a proved international performer who brings class and experience to our backline and at 29 still has some good NRL football in him,” said CEO Paul Osborne.

“We expect to get good mileage out of our experienced recruits like the three players who have returned from England and Carl Webb, Chris Walker and Reni Maitua who come to the club with points to prove and undoubted ability to still make an impact in the NRL.”
    #itaintweaktospeak

It'll be interesting to see how Parra goes with all these bits and pieces signings. I'm interested to see C Walker and J Atkins go well for them.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

para is like a nursing home

Banned

parra will make the finals in 2011 you can quote me on that, whenever they are tipped for a good year they go crap ala last year, when they are written off they go good ala 07 and 09

i will deffs quote you on that if you are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    parra will make the finals in 2011 you can quote me on that, whenever they are tipped for a good year they go crap ala last year, when they are written off they go good ala 07 and 09
    That is a big call, many other teams will be stronger in 2011. It's gonna be a tough year.

A lot will depend on how the players respond to Kearney. He seems to be a no nonsense coach but so was Anderson. If Kearney can extract good form fro
    several of the Eels' recycled ayers they could be a force to be reckoned with. Maitua, Webb, Whatuira, Walker, Hicks etc were all very useful players in their time so if they can produce alongside Hayne, and Moi Moi who's to say what they can or can't dothis season. I for one hope some of these players can make it back to their best as they are great to watch in full flight.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Default [B]South Sydney sign emerging English star George Burgess

Source: Mark Evans / News Limited

South Sydney's NRL rivals could soon be facing double trouble after the Rabbitohs signed Sam Burgess's younger brother George to a two-year deal.

Hot on the heels of finally securing NRL superstar Greg Inglis last week, the Rabbitohs snapped up one of the game's most promising talents in the 18-year-old English prop.

Burgess was contracted to Super League side Bradford through to the end of the 2012 season, but was granted a release after expressing a desire to link up with big brother Sam in the NRL.

Sam Burgess made an immediate impact in his first season in the NRL in 2010 - and while George has yet to taste top flight football - there is plenty to suggest the 194cm and 120kg forward could be just fearsome a proposition.

He has been part of the full-time squad at Bradford for the past 12 months, and was a key member of the England Academy side that defeated the Australian Schoolboys in their two-match series earlier this month.

"I can't wait to make the move and get started at the Rabbitohs,'' Burgess said.

"Sam has been raving about the Rabbitohs and living in Sydney all year, so I'm looking forward to coming out and training and playing in Australia.

"I'm grateful to Bradford for the opportunities they've given me over the past few years, and also the release to come to Australia and play with the Rabbitohs.

"I'm very excited about pulling on the red and green jersey and getting started on my career at Souths.''

He is expected to start his career down under in South Sydney's Toyota Cup side, but it is obvious the club has big plans for the youngster.

"The Burgess brothers are all talented footballers and we're delighted to have two of the boys playing for the Rabbitohs over the next two years,'' Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said.

"George is a great prospect and a real project for our club.

"We'll work with him over the next two years and during that time we're aiming to develop him into an NRL footballer in the red and green.''
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Matt Orford to sign with the Canberra Raiders

EXPERIENCED halfback Matt Orford is set to sign with the Raiders, with the playmaker to train with Canberra for the first time today.

The former Manly no.7, who won a grand final with the Sea Eagles in 2008, announced he is joining Canberra at a press conference in the national capital at 11am.

Orford is yet to physically put pen to paper, with the halfback tipped to sign on the dotted line in the next 48 hours after formally gaining a release from UK Super League club Bradford.

The new deal with the Raiders is expected to be for at least two years, with the club in desperate need of a playmaker after losing star five-eighth Terry Campese for the majority of 2011 with a knee injury.

``I was a long way from home, I'm very close with family and friends, and Canberra is only three hours away," Orford said.

"I miss the NRL and still feel like I've got business here and the competition I really missed.

``I won't be overplaying my hand, just adding what I can to the team. I already know about the talent they've got, but some of the old tricks I've learned along way, if I can pass that on it will be great.

``The style they play will suit my game and the way I play will suit their game. They seem really good guys. The culture they've built, they seem a tight-knit group, and that's what it takes to win a premiership.''

Canberra chief executive Don Furner said the club hoped to formalise Orford's new deal by the end of this week.

"We're hopeful Matt can secure a release from Bradford and we can come to terms with him by the end of the week," Furner said.

"He would bring a wealth of experience to our backline and we're hoping to have in our system as soon as possible."
    #itaintweaktospeak

I would be happy to see him sign with Canberra, I think it would be a good fit. Especially with their young players such as Dugan and Campese. It's a good mix.