Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Preston Campbell's a natural at No.6, says Scott Prince

Preston Campbell's a natural at No.6, says Scott Prince

Matt Marshall | July 27, 2009 12:00am

THE finals-bound Titans admit they are yet to settle on their best halves combination as Preston Campbell turns up the heat on the injured Mat Rogers.

Star No.7 Scott Prince yesterday told The Courier-Mail he believes the Coast can launch a credible title bid with either of the star veterans positioned alongside him at pivot.

Prince said there were advantages with both combinations but admitted Campbell's instinctive game was more naturally suited to the halves than Rogers'.

The Titans halfback also said Campbell's presence allowed him greater flexibility at halfback.

Coach John Cartwright insists he is yet to lock in a preferred halves combination, with Campbell likely to again partner co-captain Prince against the Cowboys on Friday night should Rogers' groin injury force him out for another week.

"The thing with Presto is that I feel I can play what I see," Prince said. "I can go in and 'shark' him. He's happy to play off the back of me. It gives me range.

"He gives me first preference and I don't feel like I'm stepping on any toes.

"Take nothing away from Rat (Rogers), he's still learning that position, but Presto is a premiership-winning five-eighth.

"Rat feels like he's got to do something every set so it gets a bit confusing at times.

"They are different players. Presto plays more on instinct. The more we play as a halves combination, we improve a lot. With a five-eighth, you need a sixth sense, to know what he's going to do . . . a little wink and a nod."

Rogers has been the club's priority pivot since 2008 with last year's Titan of the Year Campbell excelling at fullback.

But the emergence of Will Zillman at No.1 and Campbell's brilliant cameos in the halves have presented a welcome selection dilemma.

There is a weighty argument towards a positional tweak given dual international Rogers has produced arguably his best football for the Coast in the centres.

Campbell's credentials at No.6 are also watertight. He steered Penrith to the 2003 NRL title in the No.6 jumper.

But moving Campbell permanently to the No.6 jumper would demand an extremely tough call on mainstay centre Brett Delaney.

Delaney, the man most likely to make way should Rogers be reinstated to the three-quarter line, has been a beacon of consistency.

Given his importance to the team, Delaney would likely be converted into a utility if a reshuffle was to take place.

Yesterday Cartwright said he had yet to finalise a first-choice halves partner for Prince, who will again go head-to-head with arch-rival Johnathan Thurston on Friday night.

"Nothing is set in concrete. It's a week-to-week proposition. There's no No.1 option," Cartwright said. "When they're all fit we'll have a better idea."

The Titans have three key injury concerns with Rogers, Ash Harrison (ribs) and Mark Minichiello (knee) still in grave doubt.

The Couurier Mail
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

C'mon Carty make this a reality. Zillman fullback, Campbell 5/8, Rogers centre, Delaney bench utility until O'Dwyer is fit is our strongest side and one I think we can make the final with.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Zillman to 1, Campbell to 6 and Rogers to the centres suits me fine. Delaney will do well as a utility off the bench being able to play both second row and in the centres.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    C'mon Carty make this a reality. Zillman fullback, Campbell 5/8, Rogers centre, Delaney bench utility until O'Dwyer is fit is our strongest side and one I think we can make the final with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Zillman to 1, Campbell to 6 and Rogers to the centres suits me fine. Delaney will do well as a utility off the bench being able to play both second row and in the centres.
    I agree with both you fellas. Not only would we be getting the most out of Preston and Zillman, but also more out of Scott. His performance on Friday was stunning.

I don't think we can ignore it. Rogers would be a fantastic centre as well.

If we make the switch now we have time to warm up for the Finals.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

With Prince saying this I feel its a warning to Delaney. If Presto moves to the halves then its Rogers to centre. Then the question will Mead keep his spot over Walker, I dam well hope so.

I reckon Prince and Campbell make an awesome pairing. We've seen Prince kicking for Campbell plenty of times, but on friday Campbell put through a kick for Prince, I don't think anyone was expecting it.

There's more attacking options. Rogers was more a running 5/8 and that's a role he can take from the centres.

I have said this all along. ROGERS IS A CENTRE! One of the best centres of our time but he does not suit our style of play from 5/8. We play an expansive brand of footy and that is limited sometimes with Rogers and his choice of running the ball most of the time.

He is very solid in defence and a good organiser but i feel campbell is the better option atm.

Life isnt about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself!

Sounds fairly ominous when a club captain comes out and says it in the media, doesn't it

I think almost everybody here has been calling for these team changes to be made & maybe we get our wish
    I'm sure Delaney will make an awesome impact player off the bench , until Chalky returns which he said will be against Souths
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Sounds fairly ominous when a club captain comes out and says it in the media, doesn't it
    Yeah, only about 2 and a half years late.

How bout you stick with playing princey.......after all you only seemed to have gotten that right this week. and dont give me that bullch*t that its cause your playin off presto..... presto has filled the 5/8 possy many times this year and you ve still had a ch*t game..............Dont want to step on toes...... what a load of cr@p..... your the Captain of the friggin team mate...... its your job to direct..... its your job to captain....... focus on that a bit prince and less on public humiliation of one of the best players ever...........where s the knife mate....... does matty still have it in his back.

As for me I ll leave the coaching to that guy called Carty...... I ve heard he aint to bad at what he does................thats why they pay him for it.

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post
    How bout you stick with playing princey.......after all you only seemed to have gotten that right this week. and dont give me that bullch*t that its cause your playin off presto..... presto has filled the 5/8 possy many times this year and you ve still had a ch*t game..............Dont want to step on toes...... what a load of cr@p..... your the Captain of the friggin team mate...... its your job to direct..... its your job to captain....... focus on that a bit prince and less on public humiliation of one of the best players ever...........where s the knife mate....... does matty still have it in his back.

As for me I ll leave the coaching to that guy called Carty...... I ve heard he aint to bad at what he does................thats why they pay him for it.
    Looks like we have a huge Matt Roger fanatic.

Fan yes..... am I fanatic no..................I m just one of very few people that seem to appreciate what he does for that team or realises how much he is missed when he is not there........ look back in the players of the rounds........he can have a blinder of a game and yet still... very few on here will acknowledge it.

I hope for his sake he retires at the end of the year. Whats the point playing in a team where your own captain disses you out and your fans dont appreciate what you do.

Here's to 2015

I think Rogers has been magnificent this year and the peak was him destroying Melbourne down south. His defence always seems to go unnoticed but he hits really hard. He also scores tries and has a good yin to princes yang in the kicking department as he kicks left footed

in saying that though I would like to see him with esi in the centres even if it's just trialling a new look backline. He'd be explosive there

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post
    and your fans dont appreciate what you do.
    I tend to disagree. I think everyone on here thinks he is an awesome talent and has done a pretty good job at 5/8, but his best position is centre and he is the best centre the club has ever had. Campbell is a natural 5/8 and with these 2 in there usual positions the team is a lot stronger.

Not quite sure how comments like this, which is pretty much the way everyone has been putting it, are not appreciating one of our star players, but each to their own I guess.