Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It was just a News Limited beatup. Watch The Back Page on foxsportsnews or read the sports opinions in any of their papers, the bias against Rugby League is taken to absurd levels. When I first heard people complaining about this bias I thought they were just paranoid, but watch and read, it's hard not to notice.

Watching The Back Page last night they spent 15 minutes gushing over AFL, some player I'd not heard of retiring being the last remaining from the '96 premiers like that's important, then they took a minute to have a dig at a woman who commentated on a couple of televised AFL games, then went on and on about the crowds that weekend. Apparently it was almost the best attended round ever, but for a game in Canberra. When Billy Birmingham commented on the smallness of that crowd the victorian panelist went at him for a full minute like he had just called his mother a whore. Then on to league, QRL says it's unsubstantiated, the other panelist goes on and on about how that just proves it then, says it's true it's true, but covers his **** from legal recourse by going on about how it's true that people do this and is then vague enough that he can't get called on for making **** up.

It's News Limited, see how little regard they have for actual journalism with the toxic detritus they spout on Fox News and think about whether they'd stoop to agendas in sports journalism. It's order from on high, any editorial has to jive with their plans. Right now they want to drive down the price of the upcoming NRL TV deal, since they control cable sports the other media won't/can't bid higher. Or maybe Rupert's just still pissed he didn't manage to kill/control the game back in the 90's.

When that guy from Carlton said his team paid off a bunch of alleged sexual assault victims, what happened. News Limited at least went after him as though he were wrong for bringing it up or had been just making it up and calling him a crazy old liar anyway. Imagine a former ceo/president of an NRL club said the same thing, and tell me the media would have reacted the same way.

This QRL mess is designed to split league fans anyway, it's a way of having a dig at the game and getting half it's base to agree with you because "those maroons are all deviants and druggos, eh". And then magically Western Sydney will love AFL more than life itself. I never said it was a good plan.

In all seriousness, it doesn't bother me that much because it really isn't that good a plan, and none too subtle lately. It's darkly amusing to watch at least.
    Last edited by kwigibo; 29-07-09 at 05:26 PM.

There is a massive media bias against rugby league. And it stinks!

AFL and other codes suffer instances just as awful but they are swept under the carpet. And the Melbourne media are complicid in it. The Sydney media on the other hand are always looking to take a chunk out of rugby league.

If you think the Back Page is bias, make sure you don't watch The Offsiders on ABC on Sundays. It's a free for all. God bless Roy Masters when he is on though, he is a rugby league champion.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The problem is, we here on the GC and Western Sydney are the front lines, even if most don't know it, and the more negative press RL gets the shaker our strong hold is. I hate seeing fans of our own game, giving these 2 bit journos ammunition to use against us, they do nothing but read these boards 24/7 looking for this crap, and they write about it as if true with no FACTS.

make no mistake the AFL are waging war against us the Titans, we are the weakest link in the NRL chain (due to past teams, and age of current team) and they are pulling out all stops, to make there Gazas the number 1 code here.

For example look at the amount of articles written about this garbage about Sleeping pills and RedBull, Neither are illegal yet, every paper in the country have had there say, they ripped League apart on the backpage as you said, and you would think to the normal person this is a League only incident right?

Did you hear about the 12 AFL players that got caught on illegal drugs? of course not, this does not make the news.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html

TWELVE AFL players tested positive for illicit drugs last year - including two who were caught twice - according to figures released by the league today.
    The two players who failed two tests are now among a group of seven who are on two strikes.

AFL players are named and can be suspended for up to 18 games if they test positive three times to illicit drugs during a four-year period.

AFL football operations general manager Adrian Anderson said the League was encouraged by the results, as for the first time since the AFL introduced its policy, the number of positive tests had fallen one per cent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Did you hear about the 12 AFL players that got caught on illegal drugs? of course not, this does not make the news.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html
    You gotta love their favorite Rule , "3 Strikes & your Out" , so you can get busted for Speed then Coke but be carefull u don't get caught when u have a crack at Smack

If you are caught doing any of these u should be named,shamed & Jailed , Farken Wankers
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    There is a massive media bias against rugby league. And it stinks!

AFL and other codes suffer instances just as awful but they are swept under the carpet. And the Melbourne media are complicid in it. The Sydney media on the other hand are always looking to take a chunk out of rugby league.

If you think the Back Page is bias, make sure you don't watch The Offsiders on ABC on Sundays. It's a free for all. God bless Roy Masters when he is on though, he is a rugby league champion.
    I know about the offsiders, it's a bit different being the abc, but they have commercial journalists on it, pushing agendas on our public network. When people complained about the bias their form letter tries to argue that their criticism of that Carlton guy and the rape payoffs counts as balance, when it's the exact freaking opposite thing and counts against balance.