Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Rugby League Independent Commission

Wheels of change are turning in rugby league circles

HEAR that?

Listen carefully. It is the grinding wheels of change and they are turning quicker in rugby league by the day.

By stealth and design, the move for an independent commission has been done in relative silence, behind closed doors and sans a slick spin doctor talking about the future, the vibe, the vision. But that doesn't mean progress isn't being made.

No deadline has been put on establishing an independent body - which will see News Limited and the ARL relinquish their control of rugby league - but whispers emerged over the weekend that it could materialise as early as September.

Maybe October.

This, despite clandestine moves from an individual north of the border to sabotage the attempt to drag rugby league's well-kicked butt into a new realm of professionalism.

You might remember the name: John Ribot de Bresac. Former Newtown, Wests and Manly winger. Chief architect of Super League. Recently appointed member of the QRL board.

Ribot has been actively campaigning against an independent commission or the model that is being suggested. He recently met with News Limited chief operating officer Peter Macourt and pointed out the flaws in the concept. It is understood Macourt wasn't won over by his argument.

The move is still on the agenda.

Macourt refused to comment yesterday and Ribot did not return calls, but presumably Ribot fears he is about to lose the modicum of power which he's finally regained after slipping onto the QRL board in December last year.

As the wheels of change continue to grind, Ribot is not the Lone Ranger. Titans boss Michael Searle is the man trying to make this happen. Indeed, Kofi Annan has an easier job.

Searle has mooted a non-profit organisation overseen by a commission comprising heavy hitters across a range of industries from the big end of town. Those commissioners will be appointed by the 16 NRL clubs.

The NSWRL and QRL will become second-tier bodies, running the game at a grassroots level but relinquishing power of the headline representative fixtures.

The problem, it seems, is what will happen to the ARL. While there has been much focus on shifting News Limited from its mooring, some reckon what will happen to the ARL has been overlooked.

From all reports, News Limited - publishers of The Daily Telegraph - is ready to let go. With this in mind, the latest interference being run from the QRL is that State of Origin is in grave danger of being abolished under Searle's model.

It's nonsense. What commissioner or club would toss the jewel in rugby league's crown into the ocean? And when Searle repeatedly says the commission will be truly independent of influence from the clubs and old ARL and News Limited factions, you tend to believe him.

At a very basic level, the struggle has been boiled down to this: the power the ARL is prepared to give up and what News Limited wants to quietly slip away.

Nobody can quite spell this out and what it will precisely take for the ARL and News Limited to end the Mexican stand-off. That's because a very un-rugby league thing is happening - none of this is being played out in press.

It's being played out in the offices of the game's heaviest hitters with the doors firmly shut. But don't underestimate what looms. The wheels of change are quietly grinding away, towards the most significant move in rugby league's history.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I want nothing more than this to happen, it would be a dream come true!

Rugby league needs it so badly if we are to realise our potential, which is massive. And if we are to fight other codes who are cashed up, with clear governance, speedy lines of communications and clear short and long term strategic objectives. (And rugby league is in the gun sights of the other codes, because we have the position and territory that the others want.)

We really are fighting with one hand tied behind our back. We need all the rugby league organisations under one dynamic governing body. We have suffered with the focus being on the NRL and ignoring grassroots and international issues, because they all effect each other.

This may be a while coming but I applaud and whole heartedly support the effort and I am proud that our General Manager Michael Searle is so involved.

First we need to get everyone to agree to a new governance but then we have to invest time and money into developing the right governance. One issue I do fear is that the commission may not have enough influence in the grassroots, international and national/expansion interest. Maybe we could include a director from our new rl development arm and one from an international prospective, because Pacific, international and Test football is so imperative for our future. We can be the biggest sport in a continent/region in the world, Oceania and that is a great start.

No doubt a lot of work has gone into research and they probably have looked at many governances from around the world, so I'm confident we can find a great solution for our sport. And let's face it, we won't be conceding anything, there is so much to gain here.

But the new organisation must have a mandate to grow rugby league at grassroots level nationally. And we should continue the philosophy of the ARL relocation Origins to VIC and that of the NRL and the Sharks and Souths in relocating top grade rugby league to those regions.

We also need to get serious in the Pacific region, funding development and helping those competitions run. This will also be a benefit to the clubs recruitment wise. And also make real inroads into New Zealand, the public love league over there but we fail to deliver.

I also find it weird that the NRL has no branch office in Queensland, obviously because we have the QRL, but the QRL is not involved in NRL business. This would be something we could mend. It would be a base for junior development and also support the Queensland NRL clubs in their operations and push rugby league in the media and with the corporates.

The claim that Origin will die is the biggest and most ill conceived red herring. Some sectors must be hitting the panic button.

I'm firmly on the band wagon always have since 1998 when the NRL started. I think this will have widespread and overwhelming support from rugby league fans.

I am spewing about Ribot, I mean it is bad enough what he did to this game but running interference on this is just treasonous. I really do not rate him...

I dream of a unified rugby league. Unified administration, resources and strategy. Unified love for the game and will to reach for the stars and defend our heartlands. I would be so proud and so happy.

Enough with the fractions, enough with the past, time for one rugby league tribe. Time for the sleeping dragon of Australia sport to arise.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 13-07-09 at 02:32 AM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

If you are a fan and want to support the push for one RL governing body, please join the Facebook group I created....

Rugby League fans FOR an Independent NRL Commission!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...3727098&ref=ts

Former prime minister John Howard may chair NRL commission

It is believed the push for Mr Howard will meet with some opposition because some influential figures believe the retired PM may be too old for the role.

Mr Howard would be the only appointee to the board.

The other directors would be from nominations who would go through an election process among club and state delegates.

Mr Howard has a strong knowledge of league and is not allied with either co-owners News Ltd (publisher of news.com.au) or the Australian Rugby League, neither of which would be represented on the commission.

The commission is being mooted to resolve the game's complicated ownership issues and the fractious set-up between the NRL, the ARL, the NSWRL, the Country Rugby League and the Queensland Rugby League.

It is proposed all would merge and operate under the Howard-led independent commission, identical to the AFL's senior management structure.

Many senior figures at club level believe the game's development has been stymied by its unwieldy structure and "blazer brigade" culture created by too many controlling bodies.

Now, with the game at the crossroads ahead of crucial upcoming TV rights negotiations and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland, they want a commission to unify the code.

NRL chief executive David Gallop last night lent his support to approaching Mr Howard.

"I was made aware of it in some discussions I had recently," he said. "I'll just say this: to have someone of his high profile and passion involved in the game would be handy."

Source: http://www.thedailytelegraph.com.au

While Im an ALP man, I think this would be fantastic for rugby league. And he would add alot of prestigue and he'd open many doors. He would also have a strong compulsion to get things done.

We could assemble a very formitable commission.

Well done to all involved! Keep up the great work you are doing for the game and its fans!

The same story in the Courier today, also says Searle is the one pushing for JH to step up.
    Go Johnny!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I think so. Rugby league is well supported by ALP voters and pollies. So getting such support from the other end of the spectrum is very good. We need to reach out and be a game for all.

Imagine John Howard walking into an office representing rugby league, who is going to say no to John Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I think so. Rugby league is well supported by ALP voters and pollies. So getting such support from the other end of the spectrum is very good. We need to reach out and be a game for all.

Imagine John Howard walking into an office representing rugby league, who is going to say no to John Howard?
    Yeh, you'd think he'd be the best man for strategies on gaining government funding & support. Not to mention the best way to work with (or around) government policies regarding revenue raising, tax evasion schemes, ect, ect... After 10yrs as PM, he'd probably have a few IOU's\favors\contacts up his sleeve aswell.
    And yeh, his basic pulling power as one of the countries best PM's......
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Absolutely, I think he'd be shocked at the support he'd get from rl fans.

Having him in there would create a new era and define the new legacy of the nrl commission. He'd create a fantastic culture.

Also he has national recognition, which is fantastic for rugby league. And all the talk back radio and TV networks would flock to him. And he'd know how to talk and how to stick up for rugby league.

Come on Johnny!

League greats split over Howard reports

Three Australian rugby league greats have weighed into reports that former prime minister John Howard may be drafted to head an independent commission to run the NRL.

Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga says Mr Howard has the right skills for the job.

"He has managed the country before so I think rugby league might be a bit of a step down for him," he said.

But former great Wally Lewis is not as confident, saying whoever is chosen will have their work cut out for them.

"Half of the people on the sidelines are going to see it as the wrong move," he said.

Former international and Queensland legend Arthur Beetson also has his doubts.

"Does he really know a lot about rugby league?"

News Limited newspapers are reporting Mr Howard has been contacted by Gold Coast Titans chief executive Michael Searle, and asked to be chairman of an independent commission to run the NRL.

But Mr Searle will not confirm the reports.

Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull says Mr Howard has much to offer and would do well at a role with the NRL.

"He is a man of enormous ability. He is full of energy. I talk to him regularly. He's a really good constructive supporter and friend," he said.

"Whatever he turns his mind to I've got no doubt he'd do well."

Mr Howard is yet to comment on the reports.

Source: ABC

ARL won't stand in way of reform, says Love

AUSTRALIAN Rugby League chairman Colin Love says his organisation is not standing in the way of reform that would lead to the game being run by an independent commission.

Speaking at yesterday's announcement of the Australian team to contest the Four Nations tournament starting later this month, Love answered the suggestion the ARL didn't like the idea of restructuring because it would mean relinquishing power.

''There's a general consensus in the game that an independent commission going forward is the way to go,'' Love said. ''I just want to make it quite clear that the ARL has done nothing to delay that process and is not delaying it.''

Asked if an independent commission was still a long way off, Love said: ''It's difficult to say but I would like to think it's not. I'm just concerned that we get things right. We celebrated the centenary of the game last year and we just want to make sure we get things right for the game for the next 100 years. That's what this is all about and there's no point in appointing a commission unless we've got to that stage.''

The Herald wrote in March that News Ltd had revealed it supported the game's bid for independence and it did not intend hindering reforms that would lead to a commission being established and the 16 clubs splitting ownership of the competition.

Greg Baxter, the director of corporate affairs for News Ltd, said at the time: ''It doesn't require our blessing for the clubs to talk about this and we're happy to talk to them as often as they want to talk about it. It does require our blessing, as a 50 per cent owner, for any new arrangement to run the game to be put in place, but that's the same as the ARL, the clubs and the NRL. Everyone has to agree with the plan.''

Baxter is on leave at the moment, but Creina Chapman, the manager of corporate affairs for News Ltd, said yesterday there was no point in speculating on who the chairman might be until there was a commission model in place.

''The committee of the clubs is looking at structures going forward, and there have been some discussions between us and them,'' Chapman said. ''But they haven't come to us with anything [regarding a model] yet. We haven't got to the point where we would be even thinking about who would be running it.''

Chapman said that while News Ltd had been aware of the suggestion of former prime minister John Howard becoming involved, there was still no guarantee at this stage that a commission would be formed.

'' ? We didn't know [Mr Howard] had been approached until after the approach ? You would have to work out what it looks like before you decide who's running it and they haven't come to us with a model ? a restructure might not go ahead. We're one player in it, but there are a lot of players in this and all of them have got to come to an understanding.''

http://www.smh.com.au/

Why News Ltd is eager to quit the NRL ahead of time

Frustrated by continuing conflicts of interest over coverage of player scandals and payment for media rights, NRL part-owner News Ltd is desperate to exit the game.

The haste to abandon the NRL eight years ahead of its scheduled departure has fast-forwarded plans to establish an independent commission to rule a code that seemingly has as many leagues as Jules Verne envisaged.

Former prime minister John Howard, whose principal sporting passion is cricket and whose interest in rugby league is focused on St George Illawarra, would be reluctant to lock himself into a long-term leadership of a re-branded Australian Rugby League. NRL chief executive David Gallop, who is certain to be the commission's inaugural CEO, was quick to distance himself from Howard, given rugby league received an $11 million grant on Saturday from the Rudd Government to construct a centralised administration.

The NRL club boss pledged with the task of recruiting commissioners, Gold Coast's Michael Searle, has approached former Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon and chairman Gary Pemberton, who was also involved with SOCOG (Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games) and the NSW TAB.

A past Queensland treasurer, Terry Mackenroth, currently a Queensland Rugby League director who sits on the board of the ARL, is considered a certainty to be elected to the commission. NRL executive board member Katie Page is also highly regarded but has a potential conflict as part-owner of Harvey Norman, the retail chain that sponsors State of Origin.

The potential break-up of Foxtel could also have accelerated News Ltd's determination to leave. News Ltd currently owns a quarter share and management rights of the giant telco, which has pay TV, mobile phone and online operations.

Should Telstra relinquish its half-ownership of Foxtel, News Ltd and the other quarter shareholder, James Packer's Consolidated Media Holdings, hold pre-emptive rights to buy it outright.

The C7 Federal Court case, in which Seven owner Kerry Stokes claimed a conspiracy by a coalition of Telstra, News Ltd and James Packer to shut down his pay TV arm, established that the law looks unkindly on a sport and a broadcaster being controlled by the same entity.

It is not known whether News Ltd

will exercise a first-and-last-rights TV option as a condition of its exit from the NRL.

News Ltd chairman John Hartigan - a newspaper man - is tired of the conflict and looking to improve the balance sheet, while chief accountant Peter Macourt can see the value of exercising broadcasting control over a product that outrates AFL.

News Ltd draws $8m annually from NRL revenue, partly as re-payment of debts incurred during the Super League war but also to fund the Storm's annual $5m-$6m loss.

Such is the rivalry in the ''catch-and-kill-your-own'' world of rugby league, the NRL's other 15 clubs would demand News Ltd's $8m be split among them, rather than fund a club that has won the code's two big prizes - the NRL premiership and the under-20s Toyota Cup.

It is anticipated News Ltd, whose 1997 peace treaty with the ARL committed it to exit all but one of its clubs within 20 years, would leave the Storm at the same time it departed the NRL. This would impose immediate cost burdens on the NRL outpost.

While the Storm's revenue will increase when it moves to its new $300m rectangular stadium next year, it would need significant subsidies until gate-taking and sponsorship can be maximised.

The Broncos, the NRL's only listed club, is controlled by News Ltd, with a 67 per cent share, and makes an annual profit of between $1m and $2m. News Ltd's conflict was exposed during the State of Origin series when a Broncos player considered legal action against a News Ltd publication for a story that wrongly linked him with drug-taking.

News Ltd's Sydney tabloid, The Daily Telegraph, announced its back page would be a ''scandal free zone'' when the relentless exposure of misdemeanours attracted the criticism that the media company was undermining the value of its own sporting asset. A meeting of NRL club executives in August complained about harsh coverage.

The ARL, whose half-ownership of the NRL is enshrined in the 1997 peace treaty, was suspected a few months ago of deliberately stalling moves towards an independent commission. However, ARL chairman Colin Love is a strong supporter of a commission, despite News Ltd's oft-expressed view the ARL is made up of dinosaurs who should also surrender control.

Love is aware many leading Australian companies have been reluctant to invest in the NRL, knowing they were lining the pockets of one of the world's biggest corporations.

News Ltd also has a half share and management rights of Premier Media Group, owners of Fox Sports, which has the rights to televise five NRL games a week until 2012. As News Ltd half-owns the NRL and PMG, it is in fact paying money to itself for rights that, based on rugby league filling 66 of the top 100 spots on pay TV, is a seriously undervalued commitment.

Source: http://www.leaguehq.com.au

Rugby league's independence day could arrive within months

GOLD Coast chief executive Michael Searle is reticent to put a time frame on the game's move to an independent commission.

With or without former Prime Minister John Howard, however, it appears an agreement between the game's co-owners - the Australian Rugby League and News Limited - could be struck before the end of the year, prompting the greatest overhaul to the game's administrative structure since the two bodies reached a peace deal 11 years ago. Privately, key club officials acknowledge something must happen soon or the opportunity will have passed the game by. There also seems to be consensus between the ARL and News Ltd that the game must be run by an independent commission.

The devil, as always, is in the detail. In that respect, talks between the ARL and News Ltd (publisher of The Australian) have been ongoing for more than 18 months but have taken a significant step forward in recent weeks.

Searle, who yesterday claimed the ARL and News Ltd had an "appetite for change", has been the driving force behind the revolutionary change but yesterday refused to elaborate on reports Howard had been approached to be chairman of the commission.

However, The Australian understands other prominent businessmen sounded out include former Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon, current NRL board member Katie Page, former Billabong and Qantas chairman Gary Pemberton, and outgoing BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus.

It is believed Argus, who will step down from his position with BHP Billiton next year, also has support to fill the chairman's role should he decide to be involved.

"Until we get both parties to agree on the terms of settlement, it's very difficult to discuss who or who shouldn't become involved," Searle said.

"The process of the deal is complicated. It's a work in progress. Eighteen months ago we were 100-1 of even getting off first base. At least now we have the stakeholders saying the model is the right model.

"They have an appetite for change. We have come a long way in 18 months. It's pleasing to hear the ARL and News Limited can see a desirable outcome.

"There's still some water to go under the bridge before we flick the switch and start talking to potential commissioners."

A News Ltd spokesperson last night reiterated the organisation played no part in the approach to Howard. ARL chairman Colin Love was also quizzed about the independent commission yesterday and used the situation to refute suggestions his organisation had delayed the process.

"I think it's publicly acknowledged now that in the game an independent commission going forward is probably the way to go," Love said. "I want to make it quite clear the ARL has done nothing to delay that process, and is not delaying the it.

"They're discussions that are really for the boardroom and not in the public arena at this time."

Asked whether it was a long way off, Love said:

"It's difficult to say but I would like to think it's not. I am just concerned that we get things right. We celebrated the centenary of the game last year - we want to make sure we get things right for the game for the next 100 years. That's what this is all about."

Searle has deliberately kept the structure of the reformed administration under wraps, but it is believed he will use the next fortnight to finalise details.

While all parties agree an independent commission is the way forward, one of the stumbling blocks is believed to be News Ltd's ownership of Melbourne. While News Ltd receives money from the game as part of the Super League peace deal, it plows millions back into the Storm each year.

If News Ltd removes itself from the game, it is believed to want assurances the Storm will survive.

Former Bulldogs halfback Steve Mortimer, a long-time advocate of an independent commission, believes the Victorian government should take part ownership of the Storm should News Ltd sell it.

"My thought is that the Victorian government ... should be a significant shareholder in the Melbourne Storm," he said. "Quite frankly, if I had the money I think the Melbourne Storm would he a great investment."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au

Bring it on, smash afl!

This is really starting to create some momentium. People now understand it and are talking about it.

If you would like to support the cause, I created a Facebook group for the fans in support of this campaign.

Please join and invite your rugby league loving friends as well!

CLICK TO VISIT AND JOIN THE FACEBOOK GROUP "Rugby League fans FOR an Independent NRL Commission!"