Default Gold Coast United enjoy famous win

Gold Coast United have come from behind to pull off a stunning 2-1 win over Fulham FC in a spirited pre-season friendly at Skilled Park on Wednesday night.

Shane Smeltz knocked in the match-winner in the 85th minute after Brazilian striker Milson came off the bench and scored the equaliser just four minutes earlier.

Smeltz had the last touch before Milson lobbed his header into the net and then scored from close range to cap off a night of missed chances for the Kiwi striker.

While Smeltz provided the goal it was Tahj Minniecon who was the catalyst for the comeback, the attacking midfielder took the field after half time and added the spark that was required to get the underdogs back in the game.

Fulham played from in front and looked in total control after Danny Murphy scored in the 16th minute, but a relentless second half comeback gave the new Hyundai A-league franchise a memorable win.

Fuham's defence was strong for 80 minutes but their lack of match fitness showed as they were overrun in the closing stages.

Joel Porter and Robson threatened throughout the first half but couldn't crack the Cottages with Chris Smalling outstanding in defence.

The home side controlled the ball early as Fulham warmed into what was their first game after what was a long off-season.

In the 16th minute the pendulum swung the way of the visitors when Coast defender Adam Griffiths fouled Ki Hyeon Seol within striking range. Skipper Danny Murphy stepped up for Fulhum and buried the shot deep into the top left corner of the net from 25 metres out.

The Coast threw everything at Fulham including a Porter cross which found it's mark as Shane Smeltz headed toward goal only to be denied by what appeared to be a handball.

Norwegian striker Eric Nevland was unlucky not to score on several occasions for the visitors on several attacking forays, but it was the Gold Coast who looked to have blown their chances as the clock wound down to half time.

Both teams made multiple substitutions at the break, but it was all one-way traffic in the second half with Minniecon and Jason Culina showing the way.

Manager for Fulham, Roy Hodgson said: "We did quite well for 60 or 70 minutes, considering it was our first game after just four days of training."

"After they scored their first goal there was always going to be a lot of pressure on us and some of our guys just aren't used to that pressure."

Miron Bleiberg was equally pleased with the work of his team.

"I think we did a big credit for the A-League as a whole, we will be taken more seriously than ever before," he said.

"Its just part of our preparation and I 'd trade the win today for any win in the A-League."

Gold Coast United 2 (Milson 81', Smeltz 85')
    Fulham 1 (Murphy 16')
    at Skilled Park
    Crowd: 10,336

www.a-league.com.au

That is a very very good result for you guys! Disappointing crowd though for a game against a English club who are very good.

How do you feel about sharing Skilled Park?
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

United really passed the ball around nicely,some of it was just great looking flowing football and in the second half my dad turned to me and said how they were starting to get closer and closer to scoring.

Traore our number 22 was a standout,he was the left back and tore Fulham to pieces. His turn and spin to get around 2 Fulham defenders just before half time was amazing

It really was a fantastic and well deserved win but I'm not getting carried away just yet as Fulham haven't even trained in 3 months but wow,If thats the kind of football we're going to see from United then I'm stoked

I went to the match & if nothing else happens for United their supporters will keep the crowd entertained or will be telling them to shut up as they very vocal from start to finish.
    I agree with Paul as they looked pretty good in parts but Fullham looked like a side that were there to make up the numbers, the 1st half they were ok but the 2nd half Swartzer was off & so were the rest of his team mates..it seemed

Also a very weak crowd of 10k of which i think a bit exaggerated
    #itaintweaktospeak

Did I hear Adam start a " oh the coast" chant early in the second half?

yea i was there.....
    as well as a few other Legion members......
    from memory we did strike that one up at some stage, but the support from these soccer fans was great, Not only do they love their soccer but moreso the Gold Coast.......

the whole S29 was full, but they all sat down.....so we started our own little group, half-way up S30 and it grew Very quickly.....by the time the second half started it was a singing machine.....lol

a few great chants, and a great warm up for monday nights game...

BRING ON THE EELS!

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Good to see you all getting behind the A-League! GC have a very, very good squad and I believe they are the better of the two new teams and will make the finals. The A-League will no be even more recognised in the UK coz one of our teams beat one of theirs and we must thank you for that but, lets see if you can have an amazing run in the Asian Champions League like Adelaide United did and play in the Club World Cup!

Shane Smeltz is a champ! He used to play here in the last season of the NSL then he went

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    yea i was there.....
    as well as a few other Legion members......
    from memory we did strike that one up at some stage, but the support from these soccer fans was great, Not only do they love their soccer but moreso the Gold Coast.......

the whole S29 was full, but they all sat down.....so we started our own little group, half-way up S30 and it grew Very quickly.....by the time the second half started it was a singing machine.....lol

a few great chants, and a great warm up for monday nights game...

BRING ON THE EELS!
    What was the story with your drum? I looked up after hearing a bit of a commotion and you were 'in negotiations' with security and police..

It obviously turned out all right because I continued to hear the drum...

Guys, if you ever head to Adelaide dont bring drums, our security are tightasses and in lovely Melbourne its a no go as well because they think it represents some 'tribal' crap. But you will be able to outsing our Red Army! That shouldnt be too hard MElbourne to it 90% of the time haha

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    What was the story with your drum? I looked up after hearing a bit of a commotion and you were 'in negotiations' with security and police..

It obviously turned out all right because I continued to hear the drum...
    it was actually a good situation.......

the cops and security tried to 'stamp their authority' and show who's boss......and i flat out told them that its all good, explained to them what the situation was and that it was all cleared (they asked why i 'snuck' it in.....i laughed and said it lives in the stadium and that once of the ladies from the office had it ready for me for tonight) they checked and were all good...

so once they realised we werent some arrogant 'trouble makers' they left us alone and even supported us.......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

that i so funny.... that it takes a soccer game for them to come and say something....,... yet there are 2 and maybe some 3 drums at every titans games....

it just goes to show that they already have it in for football fans....
    . . . . Q U E E N S L A N D E R . . . .

Security dont like soccer fans one bit, i think they should get a real job anyway instead of bullying people around that are half their size.