Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

IMO I dont think it would work up take Rocky they dont even like to go to the pub to watch the footy so wat hope do they have wanting to go to a live one........LOL

Spose they would save on money building it they only need to build it for 7k seat they might be able to fill it.......

Quote Originally Posted by titanstattman View Post

Spose they would save on money building it they only need to build it for 7k seat they might be able to fill it.......
    Funny you mention that, Browne Park (Rockhampton) only has a capacity of 8,000. They managed to cram in 10,000 for Scotland vs Fiji according to local papers....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Funny you mention that, Browne Park (Rockhampton) only has a capacity of 8,000. They managed to cram in 10,000 for Scotland vs Fiji according to local papers....
    Yeah they only really got 9,200 oppx... They up it about 800 or 700 for the papers.... I used to spand alot of time CQ a mate of mine runs Browne park and show grounds....

They is also talk of moving show grounds if it goes ahead.....

Plain and simple Ryan........... do you really think Rocky would get bigger crowds than Brisbane.

Here's to 2015

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_07 View Post
    Plain and simple Ryan........... do you really think Rocky would get bigger crowds than Brisbane.
    Find a post of mine where I've said anything like it?
    Do you think Perth, Adelaide, Wellington, PNG or Central Coast would get bigger crowds than Brisbane either? Probably not, but they all strategically better options for the future of the NRL.

If producing the biggest crowds was the only factor in placing a new team, we could put up two footy posts in the middle of Rwanda and offer a free piece of bread to all spectators. Would the NRL have anything to gain from it? - Not really, but it would break any crowd attendance record Brisbane could ever dream of.

I've got nothing against a 2nd team in Brisbane, and I'm not blindly & soley promoting a CQ team either. But you need to stop staring at your feet and look further ahead (so to speak). There is a much bigger picture for the NRL outside of Brisbane....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

If producing the biggest crowds was the only factor in placing a new team, we could put up two footy posts in the middle of Rwanda and offer a free piece of bread to all spectators. Would the NRL have anything to gain from it? - Not really, but it would break any crowd attendance record Brisbane could ever dream of.
    WTF..... since when is RL a charity. It is a business. You tell me the last business that offered up their product free.... sorry... paid customers a piece of bread to take their product.

As for staring at my feet.......... The furture of RL is to have Financially VIABLE clubs. It has 3 at the moment that are in serious trouble and others that are supported to keep them afloat. The last thing RL s future needs is another club that doesnt bring in the dollars at the game.

Here's to 2015

WTF..... since when is RL a charity. It is a business. You tell me the last business that offered up their product free.... sorry... paid customers a piece of bread to take their product.

As for staring at my feet.......... The furture of RL is to have Financially VIABLE clubs. It has 3 at the moment that are in serious trouble and others that are supported to keep them afloat. The last thing RL s future needs is another club that doesnt bring in the dollars at the game.
    The future in the NRL is growth.
    The majority of the NRLS's revenue is in commercial broadcasting not gate takings, which is the reason behind adding another two teams before selling the next broadcasting rights. Expanding the game into previously uncovered areas gives more marketing value to sell commercially, meaning more money for the game.

Yes gate takings are important to each club, but it only makes up a small percentage of the revenue that is required to keep a club running.
    An example is some of the Sydney teams accepting $100k\match to take their home games to commercial stadiums like ANZ - the crowd numbers are alot smaller but their revenue is increased because they just can't make $100k out of their local grounds.
    If those teams took all 13 games to a commercial stadium, it would still only earn them $1.3M. - Haha, about 1/3 of the salary cap.........

If the extra two new clubs lost the NRL a couple of $100k\per year for the first few years, it still wouldn't matter because the increase in the broadcasting deal would increase by the millions......

I've given you plenty of reasons why a CQ team could work based on local knowledge and statistics of the region.
    Your yet to state anything of substance to prove that it won't, all you've posted is "it doesn't have the population of Brisbane, so it won't make enough money". You've given nothing in the argument so far to back this up.....
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-07-09 at 06:51 PM.

I've given you plenty of reasons why a CQ team could work based on local knowledge and statistics of the region.
    Your yet to state anything of substance to prove that it won't, all you've posted is "it doesn't have the population of Brisbane, so it won't make enough money". You've given nothing in the argument so far to back this up.....
    I m sorry..... but I gave my opinion. I dont have to waiste my time backing up something that comes from years of experience. When the point is mute.

You are entitled to your opinion. If you felt that you would get this all out raging battle of opinions you are wrong. I put my opinion on this thread just as anyone else does. Now if you want to travel down the path of an argument you are talking to the wrong person. Go find someone else.

Here's to 2015

Well yes rugby league is a business, but a business like no other. The market is different, tradition and history plays a big part, other businesses/clubs need to work together for mutual benefit and not really treat others like competitors and the customers/fans need to be treated delicately because we can be sensitive, fickle and flighty. I think a pure business approach can be toxic to rugby lesgue. I think it's largely business based and should be business focused though. I call it the business of rugby league.

But what I think GCT 07 is getting at is, not just lack of crowds, but lack of infrastructure, sponsors and corporate hospitality, tv viewers and fans. I'm not saying that CQ could never have an NRL team, but they face massive challenges.

I think the next expansion teams should be based largely on who can bring more broadcasting dollars to the NRL.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I m sorry..... but I gave my opinion. I dont have to waiste my time backing up something that comes from years of experience. When the point is mute.

You are entitled to your opinion. If you felt that you would get this all out raging battle of opinions you are wrong. I put my opinion on this thread just as anyone else does. Now if you want to travel down the path of an argument you are talking to the wrong person. Go find someone else.
    Oh ok, years of experience.......... in what exactly?
    So you've got enough of this 'experience' that I should just take your opinion as fact and not dare argue it? Silly me then.......

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post

But what I think GCT 07 is getting at is, not just lack of crowds, but lack of infrastructure, sponsors and corporate hospitality, tv viewers and fans. I'm not saying that CQ could never have an NRL team, but they face massive challenges.

I think the next expansion teams should be based largely on who can bring more broadcasting dollars to the NRL.
    I have said from the start the the CQ bid is up against it, but I keep getting mistaken for someone who thinks it's the better option. All I've argued is that it has it's merits......

More broadcasting money has always been the reason behind team expansion, but apparently Brisbanes population advantage takes precedence over this?

Well a Brisbane/Ipswich/Logan IMO would not just cover existing rugby league fans but also new regions and new fans.

Just because someone is a rugby league fan isn't everything, there are degrees of fandom, which many of us may understand, being more latent/passive legue fans before the Titans came in to passionate patriots after.

There are thousands of new people moving to the area, so they have no sport allegiance or community identity. Infact there are many new cities/towns planned and being built for example Springfield in Ipwich and Park Ridge in Logan.

Also many southerners are moving to this area, so a rugby league team there might be a good way to lock the area down as a rugby league stronghold.

But the real batle isn't who will get in, but if there will be expansion at all. I also enjoy the discussion it provokes and the ideas.

But please don't smack each other over the head. I think it's cool to state an opinion and leave it at that.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

IMO if they did it next year or the year ofter it would be a flop just like the coast was for a cpl of years........

David Gallop is Rocky-bound

NRL chief executive David Gallop has accepted an invitation to come to Central Queensland to see why the region deserves to have its own team in the top flight.

Mr Gallop has agreed to join CQ NRL Bid leader Geoff Murphy and chief executive Denis Keeffe on a tour of Queensland?s rugby league heartland.

Mr Keefe said the visit was likely in the next couple of months, once the upcoming season was underway.

The aim would be to show the most powerful man in the game how much support there was in the region for the bid. ?David Gallop is fully informed of what we?re doing here on the ground and he couldn?t be happier,? said Mr Keeffe.

The Bid team has set its sights on entering a team in the 2014 NRL and has been boosted by the news that if the bid is successful, the State Government will fund a stadium.

Four possible sites have been identified so far, including Rockhampton Showgrounds, but the final decision could rest with Stadium Queensland which would fund and own the team?s new home.

More than 15,000 people have signed a Morning Bulletin petition supporting the bid.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au

Junior Titan quinn loves titans's Avatar

Hope they get it and a png team then leave as it is for 10 years

Banned

we could have about 26 teams in the nrl, but then the comp would be too big.