Default Australian Baseball League to rise again

Australian baseball officials being plans to resurrect new national league

America's Major League Baseball is big backer of bold plans to have a new Australian national league up and running by November 2010.

Ten years after the old Australian Baseball League folded, the Australian Baseball Federation and MLB have begun the groundwork for a new national competition which will have the Claxton Shield as their prize.

The two groups have formed an ABL joint venture which will rely heavily upon the American sporting power for financing a league that will double as a developmental tool for Australian and foreign players.

Although leading officials are yet to decide upon a name, tender process or firm timelines, indications are the resurrected ABL would be an eight to 10-team competition played from November to February each year.

Newly-appointed ABL chairman Mark Peters was confident each state would be represented and also felt Canberra, Northern Territory and regional areas like the Gold Coast could form teams.

"There's unbelievable enthusiasm around," Peters said on Wednesday.

"Some people may think we're crazy with the present economic climate: 'Why would you even be thinking about doing a national league?'

"Well we've got the confidence that there are people out there that will support us and with MLB's backing, one of the best brands in the world, this will be successful."

Peters said baseball had learned the lessons of the past when the ABL - featuring teams such as the Waverley Reds, Brisbane Bandits, Perth Heat and Daikyo Dolphins - disbanded after 10 years of competition in 1999.

"One of the big issues is going to be facilities," he said.

"If we're going to run a spectator-friendly sport then we've got to have the right facilities in place.

"The days of playing on the side of rugby and football ovals are something we can't cope with if we're going to be professional.?

The joint venture - to compete with cricket, the A-League and the revamped National Basketball League over the summer months - also intends controlling team expenditure.

The ABL received a boost to their plans on Wednesday after Federal Sports Minister Kate Ellis delivered a $400,000 grant to help set up the league.

Australia, baseball silver medallists at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, has seen 126 baseballers graduate from their Gold Coast-based academy to professional leagues around the world since 2000.

MLB International Operations senior vice-president Paul Archey said baseball needed a presence in Australia and a national competition would deliver that.

"From that perspective I think it's crucial," Archey said.

"This country is very conducive to baseball with the weather and the athletes and people love sport. I think baseball is tailor made for that family entertainment.

"What has changed in the last 20 years is the product, there's been a significant improvement in depth and level of play.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Tough to fight basketball, soccer and cricket, especially 20/20.

But I always loved baseball and used to attend many Brisbane Bandit games. Infact my signed Bandits baseball sits next to my computer and I often throw it around while being on the computer.

Bring back the Bandits! Australia has fantastic baseball talent and we need pathways.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans First Grader

Cant stand the sport, one of the most boring games ever invented.

Good luck to the league though, its up against some tough competition.

I love Baseball & would be very keen to watch a Gold Coast team play again
    #itaintweaktospeak

We have a Baseball league?
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Titan View Post
    We have a Baseball league?
    Not a National League..

Not for about 10 years now.......

Fair enough then.

I know we have a local league here in SA, i assume there would be in every state though.
    FOREVER GOLD COAST TITANS!

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide Titan View Post
    Fair enough then.

I know we have a local league here in SA, i assume there would be in every state though.
    There probably is State competitions across Australia........just no National Comp where they play on a regular basis i.e. AFL, NRL....(well East Coast is almost National......except for that bit of land west of Melbourne)